Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017

Krazyface posted:

Definitely pick Online speed, or whatever the fastest one is called. For map size, I would recommend you pick one a size smaller than what's intended for your playercount. I know it's not Civ V anymore, and you're supposed to have a big empire, but even taking that into account I find the maps in this a little too expansive.

When I've played this in MP, usually with 3-5 people, the biggest balance problem is starting positions. Not so much having great/crap starts-- we often restart until everyone has an okay one-- but how close together everyone is. Often, a game will start with one player off on their own, and the rest clustered, so that one player gets huge. I don't really have an ironclad way to fix this (other than the mirror/snowflake maps, and I don't think there's a 3-player one). You could either go for a too-small map, so everyone's in each other's face, or a too-big one, so everyone has room to peacefully expand until the late-game showdown.

I would recommend against putting AIs in, as it advantages anyone who starts near them, as they have access to a cheap supply of cities and XP. But honestly, that comes down to the temperament of the group.

Can't go wrong with Pangaea.

Edit: if you do end up doing a 3-player game, without AIs, consider disabling the religious victory condition. It's quite easy to get in those circumstances, and if one player rushes a religion there's very little the others can do to defend themselves.

Tried it, loved it. We picked a Tiny map, no AI and I got an incredibly favorable position with Mansa Musa and basically ran away with it by the industrial age - the two other Empires were on the other half of the map and one was on a horrifically bad peninsula. I never really ran into the others though. We disabled the religious victory and I have a question about that - does it make all religious buildings/units obsolete? I never built any and can't say that I've felt it. I could also see that religion wasn't really taken into account for score victory.

AG3 posted:

It took me too many years to realise that the settler unit was a wagon, not a strange smiling creature of some kind. I still can't see the wagon unless I make a conscious effort.

drat, I thought I was the only one. It took me from 1995 to mid-2010s to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Religion can feed into a lot of other resources and completely ignore the religious victory condition.

Faith can be used to buy all sorts of things when you've got the right conditions to do so.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I imagine this is old news for the people in this thread but I'm laughing my rear end off, just won my first Civ6 game with a diplo victory by voting to remove 3 diplo points from myself. Apparently it adds the points for being on the right vote first and if you hit the threshold you win even if you were about to drop back down?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

A Sometimes Food posted:

I imagine this is old news for the people in this thread but I'm laughing my rear end off, just won my first Civ6 game with a diplo victory by voting to remove 3 diplo points from myself. Apparently it adds the points for being on the right vote first and if you hit the threshold you win even if you were about to drop back down?

lol

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

A Sometimes Food posted:

That's beautiful.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Diplomatic victory is the most "rules lawyering" one so it seems appropriate

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

That's sure something. The one best qualified to rule is the one who doesn't want to do so, I guess?

Mortlock
May 16, 2014

John F Bennett posted:

2086AD and you still haven't improved your lands or discovered the center of your empire? What are you, civ 6 AI?

But I still think civ1 looks very good. Second best looking game of civ after civ 5.

that was pretty much the end of the playthrough and that was not my original lands, I just conquered that from the Zulu's.

This is my home continent. I killed Russia and England.

Mortlock
May 16, 2014

Serephina posted:

Getting some intense flashbacks to DOS-era terrain there - they always looked so good for such low fidelity. One day I'll look up the name of "that game" that I played a demo of 30 years ago, I still dream of it.

Aside from that, I'm sorry but that filter is awful.

what do you mean by filter?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you cant be telling me that's the font they used IN PC CIV 1 can you

i'm with seraphina that font looks like it's been run through the wrong end of a 2xSAI filter lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The White Dragon posted:

you cant be telling me that's the font they used IN PC CIV can you

i'm with seraphina that font looks like it's been run through the wrong end of a 2xSAI filter lol

I'm pretty sure dosbox has those types of filters natively available. I haven't touched freeciv in a while, but I don't' remember it looking that.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Mortlock posted:

that was pretty much the end of the playthrough and that was not my original lands, I just conquered that from the Zulu's.

This is my home continent. I killed Russia and England.

Needs more railroad :D

I kinda miss the simplicity of Civ 1.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What's that thing below the mini map and above the population count?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Isn't that the palace?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What's that thing below the mini map and above the population count?

It's the palace! Periodically in Civ 1 and Civ 3 you'd be asked to make an improvement to your palace, and it would slowly build up over the course of the game from a stone age cave to a huge sprawling complex. Civ 2 had a throne room instead.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Civ 1 has this cool bug that I used to exploit where you could build roads on the water by issuing the 'build road' command on a settler while it's in a boat. You couldn't walk on those roads but the trade yield of those tiles went up, so more money and science.
Before the internet bugs stayed bugs forever.

I think I'm going to play Civ 1 again, it's been decades.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I sometimes think of doing a Let's play for a Civ 2 Fellowship of the Ring scenario, it's crazy what one designer managed to achieve with the engine. Good memories!

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

I periodically replay civ1 and every time end up using the speedy settler exploit, keep canceling and reissuing the same build command and any improvement can be built in one turn.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Reveilled posted:

Civ 2 had a throne room instead.

holy poo poo yes

i remember the throne room. it would get nicer and nicer until you're straight up balling

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The best part of the throne room was how it started, as a literal cave with a rock in it. I'd usually upgrade every other aspect of the throne room except the throne itself until the very end. IIRC how good your throne room looked correlated with your score/ranking at the end of the game.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The best part of the throne room was how it started, as a literal cave with a rock in it. I'd usually upgrade every other aspect of the throne room except the throne itself until the very end.

Wait, so you'd end up with a gleaming golden palace but with a grey, mis-shapen rock in the middle of it? :lol:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Downloaded Civ1 and forgot how brutal it was. Just built my second city and suddenly a barbarian raiding party landed next to my capital from the sea and just destroyed my capital. There's nothing left of it, just a road leading to an empty tile while the barbarians are still there raiding my lands.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I miss the palace/throne room.

Also which Civ had the leaders change clothes based on era? I get this is a lot harder with so many more leaders. But Lincoln in furs or Caesar in a snappy suit ruled.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

I miss the palace/throne room.

Also which Civ had the leaders change clothes based on era? I get this is a lot harder with so many more leaders. But Lincoln in furs or Caesar in a snappy suit ruled.

Civ1 for sure, don't know about the later ones.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Civ1 for sure, don't know about the later ones.

I think only Civ 3 did this as well.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Chikimiki posted:

I think only Civ 3 did this as well.

Was Civ3 the one with the live actors playing your advisors? I remember their clothes changing as time went on.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

MH Knights posted:

Was Civ3 the one with the live actors playing your advisors? I remember their clothes changing as time went on.

That's Civ2.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
It was so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqPC08cPGJw

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Completed a game as Cleopatra where City States had at least 4 wonders. I feed Cahokia late in the game and they had 3. Weirdly it also lost its space port when freed

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Goodpancakes posted:

Completed a game as Cleopatra where City States had at least 4 wonders. I feed Cahokia late in the game and they had 3. Weirdly it also lost its space port when freed

this happens with the government plaza too since city states aren't allowed them. or if a civ already has a plaza and takes a second one. or anytime kongo takes a city with a holy site.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
City states can have wonders?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

Before the internet bugs stayed bugs forever.

The Civ 6 infinite pantheons glitch still works fine, wonder how long that'll stay.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Pedestrian Xing posted:

I feel like they could fix most of the problem by having units make a best effort to get to their destination instead of immediately cancelling movement when something is in the way.

All they'd need to do is make it so that if a unit cannot move because of another unit that has move points, swap them in the movement queue. Bing bang boom it's fixed.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

City states can have wonders?

can't build their own. but if a civ captures a city state and then builds a wonder, that will remain with the city state if it is subsequently liberated.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah I've seen it in games but only realised after liberating the city state, you have to choose to become their leader and get the benefits from that, or keep it and get the benefits of the wonder. Can be a tough choice!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

HappyCamperGL posted:

can't build their own. but if a civ captures a city state and then builds a wonder, that will remain with the city state if it is subsequently liberated.

Ah makes sense. Never saw that happen, I think

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

That is exactly how it works. But hey, who said dirty tricks in politics aren't the key to success?

Giving city-states unique benefits to suzerainity is a neat idea. That way you have to be *really* power-mad (or just land-hungry) to conquer one. Usually I never do, but on a Fractal map I was boxed in and the only good territory was in city-state hands, so I had to take 'em on...

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Wait, so you'd end up with a gleaming golden palace but with a grey, mis-shapen rock in the middle of it? :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_of_Scone

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It occurs to me that Civ leader screens make excellent backgrounds for Zoom and Teams calls.

I'm now opening all my meetings with "would you be interested in a trade agreement with England?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

It occurs to me that Civ leader screens make excellent backgrounds for Zoom and Teams calls.

I'm now opening all my meetings with "would you be interested in a trade agreement with England?"

I'm opening mine by telling them to get their units away from my border.