Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Can you guys stop scaring me by having 14 new posts overnight. Jesus, look at the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Had to go back a ways to find something worthy of a thread title change, but it's definitely due.

Jedit posted:

Minbari ship design is more elegant, the gun ports basically just open and presto - guns! Which is probably why they energise the weapons as well; the objective is to be open handed with what they've got, but that's hard to do when you designed your turrets to avoid visible panty line. If they had Earthforce style flip-up turrets they wouldn't have to do that.

Babylon 5: that's hard to do when you designed your turrets to avoid visible panty line

Unless anyone has something better I'll report this post tomorrow so a mod can change it. Suggestions welcome though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Babylon 5: Visible Gun-Porty Line.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bieeanshee posted:

I'm inclined to imagine something like Sliding Albion, from the early Authority comics.

This reference is now at least 21 years old.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Y'know that bit with the guy who is afraid to leave Babylon 5 because he left the others and they blew up?

That, but with dead cast members and changing the thread title.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Babylon 5: living the Thomas Jordan life

https://babylon5.fandom.com/wiki/Thomas_Jordan

or
Babylon 5: fear of the Babylon Curse

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Babylon 5: fear of the Babylon Curse

Seconding this.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Babylon 5: DrAFFa-19 Survival Station

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If you change the thread title someone else is going to die and you'll feel bad.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CainFortea posted:

If you change the thread title someone else is going to die and you'll feel bad.

"No B5 actors or crew died in the making of this thread title"

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

CainFortea posted:

Thus the B5 Curse thread title is the best

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

"Babylon 5: Das Ende Der Markab"

Very topical.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Babylon 5: We are paying off karma at a vastly accelerated rate.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Angry Lobster posted:

Go with this.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Angry Lobster posted:

This

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Angry Lobster posted:

Concur.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Angry Lobster posted:

lol I can change it to this if there are no objections

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lol I can change it to this if there are no objections

Whomever in the cast drops dead next will be upon your head for your actions :colbert:.

(Yes please, absolute do change it)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Whomever in the cast drops dead next will be upon your head for your actions :colbert:.

(Yes please, absolute do change it)
Andreas Katsulas is dead, and so are my dreams, what more could go wrong?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

loving hell, Jeff! :stonklol:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

thread title good

tempting fate bad

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Is it too early to start a betting pool for which cast member Jeff just killed?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
It was the year of fire corona... the year of destruction... the year we took back what was ours. It was the year of rebirth... the year of great sadness... the year of pain... and the year of joy. It was a new age. It was the end of history. It was the year everything changed. The year is 2261 2020. The place: SA Babylon 5 thread

Edit: We are living in the craziest timeline.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 28, 2020

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Angry Lobster posted:

:perfect: Ok yeah this is better.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

This reference is now at least 21 years old.

Please don't rub it in. :(

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

This page was a wild one to read

gently caress's sake you're so right

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24AJP0693mc

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

:aaa:

This looks really good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Is this that guy who claims to have all the CGI assets and will put up a “test render” every few months and was begging for donations for a new computer to do more of them?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I'm not sure if it's that same specific person, but your mind is in the right place. The video description has a good amount of detail:

quote:

All of the models used in this animation are the ones used on the show back in 1995. Ninety odd percent of the textures are also the ones used back then, though I didn't have some of them so those had to be replaced - the planet and nebula textures being the most obvious. A number of the effects had to be remade as they were also not among the original assets I have - things like the destabilising effect on the jump points, the energy mine blast and the effect it had on the shadow vessels . . stuff like that (though I used the same techniques to recreate any that were missing) But most importantly all the scene files are the originals, created by Foundation imaging, so the movements and lighting is accurate - except for where I might have buggered it up. :) (I just noticed the very f'ing last scene - bugger!).

This is not an attempt to modernise the ground breaking and highly important work carried out by the likes of Ron Thornton, Paul Bryant, John Teska, Adam Lebowitz, Mark Kotchinski, and others. I'm still in two minds if it's even a good idea to show digital work like this - which is over 25 years old - at these sort of resolutions (1920x1080). But it was important work, arguably historically important and certainly ground breaking and influential when it came to the use of desktop visual FX in television. So that makes the complete and utter mess which is on the DVD's all the more regrettable, so I decided to see how they looked without all that, and I'm showing some of the results here on youtube.

It's not even really a restoration (certainly not a serious attempt at one) as I've deliberately kept a light touch and not enhanced anything unless absolutely necessary, and haven't paid much attention to the live action parts, sound syncing and the like - you're just seeing the ground breaking CG work from quarter of a century ago a * bit * more like how it was intended to be seen (though at a higher resolution than it was designed for). I'm also using Lightwave 5, which was what they were using around the time season 2 of the show was being made.

I get asked this a lot, but I was able to do this due to the work carried out when creating a website called B5Scrolls. It's a fan site basically, but most of the content is provided by the artists themselves - and is full of revealing and candid interviews with a lot of FX artists (and others) which were carried out when putting the site together - and some of them also sent over various bits and pieces, including previously unpublished concept art and the like. To be sure (with a name like that) its focus is primarily on Babylon 5 but because of the wide ranging careers of these guys it covers enough ground that what's covered is of interest to a wider range of folk. It's well worth a visit for the info (and other content) it holds (clears up a few long standing myths). Oh yeah, much like this video clip the site is also completely free and even downloadable for anyone to keep. Seriously, there's no strings attached.

Here's the website
http://www.b5scrolls.com/

As strange as this might sound I don't spend a lot of time online, but I can usually be found (eventually) over on the behind the scenes Facebook page which was set up a few years ago to let folks know about B5Scrolls. . . I'm expecting a visit from WB any day now. :)
https://www.facebook.com/B5Scrolls/

BTW a part of the reason for showing clips like this is to hopefully encourage some of the other folk with the original assets to consider doing something with them - there's quite a few just among the fan base. . . I only have a small amount, and others will have other stuff. It's either that or they continue to be sat on for another twenty odd years.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah okay one more of the superfans who fight over who gets to be king of the nerds based on how many lightwave files they’re sitting on.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
We are never going to get a better remastered version, which is really sad.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Midjack posted:

Yeah okay one more of the superfans who fight over who gets to be king of the nerds based on how many lightwave files they’re sitting on.

Angry Lobster posted:

We are never going to get a better remastered version, which is really sad.

Yup to both. It's ironic that pretty much anyone with a modern PC and a copy of Lightwave 6 to 11 could render these out pretty fast, but the superfans are basically the bottleneck. So the nearest thing we can get to a remaster is in the hands of a guy who has a busted old rig and a not-great eye for this stuff.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

gently caress these hoarders. The dedication is what's lacking. There are fully complex and complete B5 models of everything from shuttle to the stations in different game's mods as early as Freelancer, so it honestly just a matter of picking a game with a strong scripting engine, digging out the mods and filming the scenes.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

gently caress these hoarders. The dedication is what's lacking. There are fully complex and complete B5 models of everything from shuttle to the stations in different game's mods as early as Freelancer, so it honestly just a matter of picking a game with a strong scripting engine, digging out the mods and filming the scenes.

Ah, I don't know about that. There's a ton of work in that "just" part. Despite the B5 CGI looking old, it still does stuff better that many game engines with B5 mods - motion blur, anti-aliasing, film grain, lens flare, etc.

You could do it with something like Unreal or Unity and probably get good results, but there's tradeoffs to animating that way. I've been trying animation stuff with Unity but the lack of ability to scrub the timeline for some types of scripted events makes it much harder to work with as an animation tool. I can build tools to solve that, but... well, it's all a hell of a lot more effort than re-rendering the Lightwave scenes with a few clicks.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Yup that's what I'm talking about. If some guy has all of the files needed for a homemade remaster and can prove it, fans could fund his new pc for the job. But if all the files are in hands of some dick who will hold onto them until they eventually die from mountain dew overdose and files get lost in the history then the only way is to custom-make the sequences anew, be it unity or a game with mods. Boils down to dedication to B5 and free time. No doubt it will be a great work for a low outcome but that's what fans are for :v:

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Boils down to dedication to B5 and free time. No doubt it will be a great work for a low outcome but that's what fans are for :v:

I dunno man. I think it goes way beyond dedication. This is a huge job. Even putting aside the substantial work I mentioned before, you've got other things to deal with. You'd have to edit the new VFX into existing episodes, you'd then have constant jumps in quality between the awful up-scaled in-camera effects, the okay non-VFX live action stuff, and the new hyper-nice CGI - not to mention having to work out what to do with sequence that combine live action with actual space scenes. Sure, you'd have nice VFX among the crusty quality of the rest of it but it would make for a poor result in terms of the viewing experience. You'd be signing away years of your life to work on something that could never be more than a footnote or a curio.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The way things are going somebody is going to be able to use computer learning or whatever the gently caress they call that ai poo poo to just up res the DVD copy of the show regardless of what a handful of the nerds want to do with the cg files

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

It's been a while since I stopped my watchthrough and I left myself with a hell of an episode to come back to :stare:. The cut from Molari complaining about Earth's civil war to Major Ryan having to shoot down his friend's ship gave me whiplash. ISN being taken off air was surprisingly intense for a 90s TV series and I loved how the Narn recruits charged straight past Garibaldi's defensive position and into Earthforce's guns, showing they were motivated but inexperienced when it came to actual combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ThingOne posted:

It's been a while since I stopped my watchthrough and I left myself with a hell of an episode to come back to :stare:. The cut from Molari complaining about Earth's civil war to Major Ryan having to shoot down his friend's ship gave me whiplash. ISN being taken off air was surprisingly intense for a 90s TV series and I loved how the Narn recruits charged straight past Garibaldi's defensive position and into Earthforce's guns, showing they were motivated but inexperienced when it came to actual combat.

Sweet ! That's the turning point (and halfway mark) of the series as a whole. As of now, bigger things start happening faster for a season and a half. Strap the gently caress in. In season 5, all this comes home to roost.