Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Thunderbirds/Blue Angels dual tribute flyby is a Trump creation, isn't it?

Those teams have flying hours to hit and some officer wants a promotion so.......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
When did BUD/s incorporate a novel-writing block of training?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Deathy McDeath posted:

When Hollywood started slurping SOF every chance they got

-a SOF marine

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

CBJSprague24 posted:

They are trying to avoid flying over areas that large numbers of people can watch them. You're supposed to stay inside and hear the sound of freedom.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Deathy McDeath posted:

2006, when Naval leadership started to see reports of SEAL warcrimes and realized they needed a PR campaign to prevent another New York Times exposé.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Donnie big brains is directly calling governors and telling them to open up schools. Likely because this will encourage parents to want to go back to work.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ded posted:

Donnie big brains is directly calling governors and telling them to open up schools. Likely because this will encourage parents to want to go back to work.

Also beneficial that the parents who couldn't handle their kids without morning drinking will get fired for cause and become ineligible for UI

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52451094

quote:

A top New York City doctor who was on the front line of the US fight against coronavirus has taken her own life.

Dr Lorna Breen, who was medical director of the emergency department at New York-Presbyterian Allen Hospital in Manhattan, died of self-inflicted injuries on Sunday, police said.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Deathy McDeath posted:

Marcinko took command of team two in '74

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Jesus

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Waroduce posted:

The UDT Teams existed as an independent command until ~1983 and focused on swimming and diving missions with a smattering of brown water/littoral zone reconnaissance and demolition operations dating back to WW2. The history of the UDT's can be traced further back to the Amphibious Scouts and Raiders (temporary joint command between Army and Navy) as well as the NCDU's who were responsible for preparing the Normandy beaches as well as the creation of the infamous "Hellweek" under LCDR Kauffman who is widely considered as the father of all frogmen. The event precipitating the UDT's creation was the Battle of Tarawa where several hundred marines died from drowning or enemy gunfire while trapped on a reef and so great emphasis was placed on hydrographic reconnaissance in their original mission set. The original teams often dived with no weapons, earning them the nickname "Naked Warriors" or "Naked Frogmen".

During the late 50's the Navy noticed that the UDT mission scope had creeped to include unconventional warfare, near-shore reconnaissance & demolition as well as a smattering of direct action. The Navy SEALs were officially established in January 1962 by than President John F. Kennedy. Their training regime focused on a more limited underwater mission set but accommodated a whole host of both conventional and unconventional land warfare capabilities the UDTs lacked. The SEALs and UDTs operated closely together through the early 80's often with the UDT members in direct support of a SEAL mission. For example, a big navy submarine would be tasked with delivering a UDT team (4-6 guys) and a SEAL element (2-12 guys) to an off-shore location, often several miles from the beach. The teams would be locked out of the airlock in stages and assemble onto a SDV (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAL_Delivery_Vehicle) which were piloted by a UDT element whom were responsible for underwater navigation and eventual insertion of the SEAL element who would than go one to conduct whatever mission assigned. The UDT team may engage in shore security (i'm using this term generously) or simply wait at an offshore extraction point if the SDV was to be utilized again.

The Frogman is an excellent book about the pacific WW2 era and a large reason alot of guys back than became UDT/SEAL members.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frogmen
https://www.amazon.com/Frogmen-Robb-White/dp/0385038283

I had a neighbor who was a ww2 vet who was said to be involved in the early days of seal training and I have no reason to disbelieve it. How would I go about reading about him or is that all classified

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Milo and POTUS posted:

I had a neighbor who was a ww2 vet who was said to be involved in the early days of seal training and I have no reason to disbelieve it. How would I go about reading about him or is that all classified

This should be a handy resource

Mod note: This is goatse, therefore technically NSFW

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 29, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Milo and POTUS posted:

As Don Shipley is fond of saying - "Ops are classified, service is not."

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Deathy McDeath posted:

https://www.duffelblog.com/2014/05/us-navy-seal-training-writing-course/

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I found your link very useful

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That's him alright!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

The name "Operation America Strong" alone should illuminate the orange fingerprints all over it. Looking forward to "Operation <patriotic grunting noises>" next month.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wow...so it turns out my neighbor wasn't stretching the truth about his time in the service. Thanks for the link!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

BIG HEADLINE posted:

As Don Shipley is fond of saying - "Ops are classified, service is not."

That’s mostly true. A servicemember’s DD-214 will never be classified, but association with certain units is absolutely classified.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hello, old friend

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It's almost comforting. A throwback to a simpler, better time

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/politics/lakers-ppp-small-business/index.html

quote:

The Lakers, applied for and received a $4.6 million loan via the Paycheck Protection Program. The Lakers who are valued at $4.4 billion.
The Lakers maintain a full- and part-time staff of just over 300 workers, which, technically, makes them eligible for a PPP loan.

For every high-profile company that got shamed into giving money bank, there are dozens of private "small" businesses with no public visibility just gleefully "borrowing" millions that which will probably never be seen again. Can't waste a crisis.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/politics/lakers-ppp-small-business/index.html

For every high-profile company that got shamed into giving money bank, there are dozens of private "small" businesses with no public visibility just gleefully "borrowing" millions that which will probably never be seen again. Can't waste a crisis.

the kicker

quote:

As of April 16, the SBA had approved more than 1.66 million loans for more than $342.2 billion, according to an agency report. Of those, 4,412 were for $5 million and above. The high-value loans represented 0.3% of the total number of loans and 9% of the overall dollar value.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Pence is a complete loving idiot and he's only made to look smart by being in the proximity of Donnie and being able to form coherent sentences.

https://twitter.com/nicholaswu12/status/1255201234115612673?s=19

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Aww, it's like that guy you were friends with in high school but lost touch after graduation.

Hey buddy, how've you been? :unsmith:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1255181355798978566

Our big wet Prez isn't going to miss any of his McDonald's meals

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There've been egg shortages in my area off and on this whole time, shutting down supply would be a real hardship for families around here

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Internet Wizard posted:

There've been egg shortages in my area off and on this whole time, shutting down supply would be a real hardship for families around here

I can eat fifty eggs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gonna start fishing for sand dabs next Tuesday. May be able to sustain myself on delicious little flatfish.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1255181355798978566

Our big wet Prez isn't going to miss any of his McDonald's meals

Jesus Christ, the biggest concentrations of Covid cases in my state have all been at packing plants. Predictably people have blamed it on the "cultural differences" of the workers, i.e. Hispanics living close together to save money.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

lol if you're still in and get called up to help staff a killing floor.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
April seems like it's lasted about eight months already.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PeterCat posted:

Jesus Christ, the biggest concentrations of Covid cases in my state have all been at packing plants. Predictably people have blamed it on the "cultural differences" of the workers, i.e. Hispanics living close together to save money.

Aah yes let’s blame economic reality to dehumanize people providing us a disgusting service.

gently caress these sheltered shitbags.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Aah yes let’s blame economic reality to dehumanize people providing us a disgusting service.

gently caress these sheltered shitbags.
I'd like to think the people would be horrified if they saw the conditions in a modern meat packing plant, but I would just be disappointed that they are not.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

stealie72 posted:

I'd like to think the people would be horrified if they saw the conditions in a modern meat packing plant, but I would just be disappointed that they are not.

*spits on ground*

If they don’t like the work they should go to school.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

stealie72 posted:

Now let's just hang on a minute there Upton Sinclair

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

stealie72 posted:

My dad worked in a packing plant in the early 70s. According to him if they slaughtered a pregnant cow the fetus became veal.

:barf:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

stealie72 posted:

ive already seen the chuds talking about how these places should be pristine and obviously its the fault of the filthy people working there

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PeterCat posted:

My dad worked in a packing plant in the early 70s. According to him if they slaughtered a pregnant cow the fetus became veal.

:barf:

Prefer that over the usual practice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Never eat veal