Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I have doubts because how would it even come up in the story as outlined

there is that flashback bit where it sounds like abby is hearing joel killing some random fireflies, if they wanted her to be trans they could've had her in that scene before she started presenting as female

that being said yeah it sounds like it was just some dumbass seeing a buff lady and coming to a stupid conclusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Having that one collectable mentioning the past subjects was a huge mistake because it turned the finale into a dumb numbers game when that poo poo clearly didn't factor into Joel's decision at all.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I got you fam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIa-AKax2xw&t=31s

For just $150 you too can roll up Joel's sleeves

I forgot this game had some absolutely terrible DLC

e: Oh wait no those are unlockables aren't they. Well whatever I know Factions had some absolutely terrible DLC so point still stands

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nah, the fireflies were just some more terrible wannabe jackboots, Joel was correct in blowing them away.

"In most uprisings, rioting citizens have done more of the fighting than actual Firefly members, leading to feuds that typically resulted in the citizens turning on their city's Fireflies after the revolt was finished, fearing a reign of oppression by the Fireflies, rather than the Military. The Fireflies lost control and were executed or forced to flee, allowing the citizens to take over."

JustaDamnFool posted:

Having that one collectable mentioning the past subjects was a huge mistake because it turned the finale into a dumb numbers game when that poo poo clearly didn't factor into Joel's decision at all.

I mean he was still right to do it anyway, they were gonna throw him to the wolves when he did all their work for them, turnabout's fair play and all that junk.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ruflux posted:

I forgot this game had some absolutely terrible DLC

Pay 99 cents to get a new revolver execution animation where your opponent flails around for an extra second

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JustaDamnFool posted:

The point of the ending isn't that decision anyway. It's the decision to lie to Ellie, and her decision to believe it.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Pay 99 cents to get a new revolver execution animation where your opponent flails around for an extra second

They cut out some of the more gruesome execution animations from the European release of Factions for some reason, I wonder if you could literally buy them back for DLC money

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Stux posted:

youre arguing the title with the made up zombies is less grounded while also apparently saying mad max films arent bleak which is a wild swing to take lol

most of the people in tlou1 are pretty physically fit. noticeably. especially the enemy humans, and joel is in good shape and his physique doesnt change from the time skip at all. she doesnt look like shes on roids unless you have literally no concept of how humans work.

people notice and question because of gross reasons because if it was a guy literally no one would mention it, and its never a knock against any post-apoc settings, which with shocking regularity use extremely large buff men as characters.

I'm saying mad max is intentionally over the top while tlou goes for "what if mushroom zombies + real world"

there is a difference between fit and colleen fotsch, for example the only female mma fighter I can think of that is close to her physique is cyborg santos who tested positive for roids

I disagree and not every post apocalyptic setting is the same

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also whew, two of the first five results, straight up net-nazi sites. (Oneangrygamer is a trash 'gaming news' rag run by a nazi)

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 28, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Nah, the fireflies were just some more terrible wannabe jackboots, Joel was correct in blowing them away.

"In most uprisings, rioting citizens have done more of the fighting than actual Firefly members, leading to feuds that typically resulted in the citizens turning on their city's Fireflies after the revolt was finished, fearing a reign of oppression by the Fireflies, rather than the Military. The Fireflies lost control and were executed or forced to flee, allowing the citizens to take over."

this is why pessimistic fiction is needed, because the lack of it leads to blinkered, facile readings like these

the whole point of the last of us was that all the actions that converged in the final chapter - joel's protectiveness, marlene's desperation, and ellie's sacrifice - all came from the same need to find fulfillment in their lives after they'd lost everything else, hence why marlene and ellie both say almost verbatim "this can't be for nothing" at the beginning and end of the sequence. it's the culmination of the game's larger theme that everyone's efforts to survive, physically or spiritually, ironically brutalize everyone around them and accelerate their own immiseration. joel destroys humanity's (faint, futile) hope for a cure because he's protecting his own reason to live, and the ending strongly implies he's also destroyed his relationship with ellie by lying about it. the human race is self-terminating; even its virtues come from a poisoned root. it cannot, should not go on after the end of its civilization

but instead most of its audience kept blithering over whether joel or the fireflies were the bad guys so now we get a sequel that just tapes the original game's point to a half-brick and treats us to a fifteen-hour sequence of it lovingly bashing in a woman's skull. well done!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah the world definitely needs more sociopathic 'humans are poo poo and we all deserve to die' postapoc stories by aging white gen xers

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

This is why pessimistic fiction is needed

Nah, pessimism sucks poo poo and all it's come from for a while is tiring to listen to defeatists and we've had enough of it for a while, punch etc. the nazis.

Oxxidation posted:

The human race is self-terminating; even its virtues come from a poisoned root. It cannot, should not go on after the end of its civilization

Also this is stupid sounding as all hell.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 28, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah the world definitely needs more sociopathic 'humans are poo poo and we all deserve to die' postapoc stories by aging white gen xers

I mean, if your argument is it just shouldn’t exist whatsoever, maybe your best option at this point is to play other games?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dewgy posted:

I mean, if your argument is it just shouldn’t exist whatsoever, maybe your best option at this point is to play other games?

i do play other games, don't worry

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

am0kgonzo posted:

I'm saying mad max is intentionally over the top while tlou goes for "what if mushroom zombies + real world"

there is a difference between fit and colleen fotsch, for example the only female mma fighter I can think of that is close to her physique is cyborg santos who tested positive for roids

I disagree and not every post apocalyptic setting is the same

mad max is intentionally over the top if you ignore half of the films called mad max

the character model in game doesnt look like someone on steroids she just looks built

no they arent, in this one there are fantasy zombies and a muscular woman

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if you werent interested in a pessimistic zombie game i dont know why you would think a sequel to the last of us 1 would be optimistic and joel in tlou is absolutely horrible by any measure. he massacres a bunch of people who, as far as he knows, are legitimately going to find a cure purely because of his own cowardice in actually handing over ellie instead of just running, and then breaks ellies trust out of continued cowardice because he refuses even basic honesty about what hes done and has no qualms about just murdering anyone in his way. hes awful.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

an optimistic sequel to tlou would genuinely be more daring and subversive and a challenge to write than the game we're getting

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stux posted:

if you werent interested in a pessimistic zombie game i dont know why you would think a sequel to the last of us 1 would be optimistic and joel in tlou is absolutely horrible by any measure. he massacres a bunch of people who, as far as he knows, are legitimately going to find a cure purely because of his own cowardice in actually handing over ellie instead of just running, and then breaks ellies trust out of continued cowardice because he refuses even basic honesty about what hes done and has no qualms about just murdering anyone in his way. hes awful.

everyone in tlou is scum and that includes ellie

the only exception is maybe joel's brother and his commune, which is why i don't even need to double-check the sequel's spoilers to know that community is doomed

Brother Entropy posted:

an optimistic sequel to tlou would genuinely be more daring and subversive and a challenge to write than the game we're getting

would you even say it's hopepunk

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Brother Entropy posted:

lol ok

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

maybe, idk. i personally dont want a sequel to tlou to suddenly be optimistic. but then i also dont feel like theres a dearth of pessimistic games in particular and i dont know if thats just because im unwittingly avoiding them or what, so i dont have such an issue with this one being pessimistic. maybe its just a AAA thing or something cos i mostly just play indies at this point. i wish i hadnt spoiled now but the one strong rumor that wouldve destroyed it for me wouldve been killing off the gay couple which apparently has been avoided.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stux posted:

maybe, idk. i personally dont want a sequel to tlou to suddenly be optimistic. but then i also dont feel like theres a dearth of pessimistic games in particular and i dont know if thats just because im unwittingly avoiding them or what, so i dont have such an issue with this one being pessimistic. maybe its just a AAA thing or something cos i mostly just play indies at this point. i wish i hadnt spoiled now but the one strong rumor that wouldve destroyed it for me wouldve been killing off the gay couple which apparently has been avoided.

i mean, being pessimistic is a far more secondary concern with this sequel than it just being badly written. i'm mostly just incredulous at the idea that modern western society isn't already drowning in pessimistic media

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Oxxidation posted:

but instead most of its audience kept blithering over whether joel or the fireflies were the bad guys

Then they shouldn't have made them incompetent villains. That is 100% what they are in the original.

(yes the other stuff is relevant and more important too, but seriously, those people aren't curing poo poo. What a joke)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Nah, pessimism sucks poo poo and all it's come from for a while is tiring to listen to defeatists and we've had enough of it for a while, punch etc. the nazis.

Also this is stupid sounding as all hell.

Pessimistic and nihilistic games are mature, though. Optimism and kindness are kiddy cartoon poo poo.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Somebody on Resetera apparently posted a quick comparison between Abby and the bodybuilder she's based on:

(and also got permabanned in the process because lol Resetera)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i mean its probably not g oing to be some masterpiece of writing but its hard to say where itll land without the full context of the game. and i guess it is? i feel like the main flood in western media has been like, marvel movies though, so maybe this is just down to me and what ive actually watched or engaged with.

and i dont think either optimistic or pessimistic is more or less serious or adult than the other and i like both for different reasons and in different moods. pls look at my av and tell me i think optimistic and kind media is bad lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the relative value of optimistic/pessimistic media aside, going by those spoilers i still wouldn't give credit for tlou2 for any kind of grander artistic merit even if it is relentlessly grim, no more than i would for something like outlast 2

at least the first game had something to say about the human condition even if it wasn't breaking any new ground, this one's just using the studio's clout to dial up its r-rated imagery as far as it can go

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stux posted:

i mean its probably not g oing to be some masterpiece of writing but its hard to say where itll land without the full context of the game. and i guess it is? i feel like the main flood in western media has been like, marvel movies though, so maybe this is just down to me and what ive actually watched or engaged with.

and i dont think either optimistic or pessimistic is more or less serious or adult than the other and i like both for different reasons and in different moods. pls look at my av and tell me i think optimistic and kind media is bad lol

marvel movies are pessimistic in a different kind of way, but i was thinking more about the big tv shows of the past decade. walking dead, breaking bad, got, even when they're good shows it's just a big loving carousel of human misery leading to more human misery

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

marvel movies are pessimistic in a different kind of way, but i was thinking more about the big tv shows of the past decade. walking dead, breaking bad, got, even when they're good shows it's just a big loving carousel of human misery leading to more human misery

the only one of those ive watched is breaking bad so ill have to take your word for it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

everyone in tlou is scum and that includes ellie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY-u8wMWI_c&t=60s

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Maybe the actual game will be more effective in delivering its message more than the bullet points of spoilers did. But i hope the message is deeper than "revenge bad" which is something No More Heroes 2 did better, but with more dick jokes and a killer soundtrack.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

this conversation reminded me to watch eizouken, so it was a positive one overall

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

A show like Eizouken, but about making a game instead of an anime, would be cool. Or maybe it would be a game about making a game instead.

It could be about the soul-crushing conditions that ND employees feel at every crunch time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stux posted:

the only one of those ive watched is breaking bad so ill have to take your word for it

i wouldn't consider breaking bad pessimistic by any stretch. if you want better-known examples you'd want something closer to mccarthy's Blood Meridian or The Crossing, or herzog's Aguirre the Wrath of God. i'd sort of consider von trier's Melancholia to be another semi-popular one but that's more of a paean to the benefits of depressive realism which makes it hopeful in its own way

thomas ligotti said in the intro of The Conspiracy Against the Human Race that actual philosophical pessimism does not have much of a niche in popular discourse because it's so repellent to dominant modes of thought, which imo is the same reason it's more daring and also more valuable where it can be found. the pressure to go bittersweet instead of committing to your tone is overwhelming, especially for larger collaborative productions with higher budgets. one example i read elsewhere on these forums was True Detective's first season, which actually quoted entire passages of ligotti's writing almost verbatim and had a tone to match, until the very end where it whipsaws back into the sort of vague generic humanism that's been done a thousand times before. "i think the light's winning," geddafuckouttahere

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oxxidation posted:

the relative value of optimistic/pessimistic media aside, going by those spoilers i still wouldn't give credit for tlou2 for any kind of grander artistic merit even if it is relentlessly grim, no more than i would for something like outlast 2

at least the first game had something to say about the human condition even if it wasn't breaking any new ground, this one's just using the studio's clout to dial up its r-rated imagery as far as it can go

The latter point is what really bugs me about Naughty Dog's approach, it's like they consider abstraction or remove to be a limitation rather than a tool that can be used to center psychology or existential dread. Instead they have chosen "realistic ultraviolence" to signal Serious Intent and regardless of theme I don't really get much out of that

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
I think a lot of problems you run into with super pessimistic media is that they have terrible tone. A little bit of levity or even black humor goes a long way. We know this game isn't going to just be a corridor shooter they are gonna give you time the characters and all the spoilers really just make me think they've been reading blood meridian and the road while watching live leak war footage the last half decade. I think the original red dead redemption which is an incredibly cynical and pessimistic game while also being pointlessly edgy (one of the only triple A games that has rape in the narrative) has way better tone and handles all the story beats anlot better than tlou.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Telephone spoiler summaries are always gonna be extremely suspect, and doing a switch to Abby is so drastic that I feel like it kind of has to be done fairly well.

What I mean is, this game has had a lot of time, oversight, and a hefty legacy to live up to. If people haven't been playing and giving the feedback "yes, I like this story" then I feel like it would have been changed.

This isn't an indie studio that can afford to say "gently caress you, this is our ~vision~", if they haven't extensively tested this poo poo out then that'd be an uncharacteristically big whoopsie.

Hell, Uncharted 4 sounds dumb as gently caress on paper: Nate has a brother and a nemesis he's conveniently never mentioned at all and now he's back and you're expected to care about him (and even play as him briefly)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it was dumb

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

i wouldn't consider breaking bad pessimistic by any stretch. if you want better-known examples you'd want something closer to mccarthy's Blood Meridian or The Crossing, or herzog's Aguirre the Wrath of God. i'd sort of consider von trier's Melancholia to be another semi-popular one but that's more of a paean to the benefits of depressive realism which makes it hopeful in its own way

thomas ligotti said in the intro of The Conspiracy Against the Human Race that actual philosophical pessimism does not have much of a niche in popular discourse because it's so repellent to dominant modes of thought, which imo is the same reason it's more daring and also more valuable where it can be found. the pressure to go bittersweet instead of committing to your tone is overwhelming, especially for larger collaborative productions with higher budgets. one example i read elsewhere on these forums was True Detective's first season, which actually quoted entire passages of ligotti's writing almost verbatim and had a tone to match, until the very end where it whipsaws back into the sort of vague generic humanism that's been done a thousand times before. "i think the light's winning," geddafuckouttahere

i do really like melencholia specifically actually, but yeah its handling of everything pushes it outside of just pure pessimism for me, even if the overarching setting is set out as utter pessimism at the start by just confirming theres no way out, the characters and the two acts switching the roles between the "sane" person and the depressed person being able to cope with the two major events, exploring that actually makes the movie have this weird hopefulness like you say.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Oxxidation posted:

this is why pessimistic fiction is needed, because the lack of it leads to blinkered, facile readings like these

the whole point of the last of us was that all the actions that converged in the final chapter - joel's protectiveness, marlene's desperation, and ellie's sacrifice - all came from the same need to find fulfillment in their lives after they'd lost everything else, hence why marlene and ellie both say almost verbatim "this can't be for nothing" at the beginning and end of the sequence. it's the culmination of the game's larger theme that everyone's efforts to survive, physically or spiritually, ironically brutalize everyone around them and accelerate their own immiseration. joel destroys humanity's (faint, futile) hope for a cure because he's protecting his own reason to live, and the ending strongly implies he's also destroyed his relationship with ellie by lying about it. the human race is self-terminating; even its virtues come from a poisoned root. it cannot, should not go on after the end of its civilization

but instead most of its audience kept blithering over whether joel or the fireflies were the bad guys so now we get a sequel that just tapes the original game's point to a half-brick and treats us to a fifteen-hour sequence of it lovingly bashing in a woman's skull. well done!

I guarantee you put more thought into this than they did.

God this and everything to do with Game of thrones Season 5-8 is just like Deja Vu, the no these have to be fake, the people coming up with both better plotlines & easily fixing the plot we already know in like 2 line changes,the weird game of telephone making things worse, the leaked bullet points both probably not being completely awful (that character probably isn't trans it's just some alt-right fucks) and somehow worse (The Dinah being beaten scene has the potential to be reeeeeeeal bad)

Can't forget the pretentious white guy who thinks his simplistic message is the height of art because he won and award or 2 and now he probably can't be questioned in any way

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

putting more thought into the analysis of writing than the writer did is par for the course