Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The reactor has some kind of weird damage mechanics though where some weapons do way more damage than others.

It takes object damage (like crates), which is not affected by crits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The quickest way to knock out crewships is archwing slingshot + blowing the reactor from the inside.
Not really, with proper builds the cannon is much faster, up to and including veil. The reactor thing lets you grab intrinsics from the grineer kills tho.

Ideally with a squad you're doing both anyway, just don't softlock boarders by doming their crewship while they're in some transition state (yes, this has been in the patchnotes like half a dozen times now).

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Preechr posted:

I would hope that Seeker Volley (and everything else that isn't void hole and munitions vortex) become good and relevant beyond Earth post-rework.

I specifically tested and complained about this on the PTS. It isn't nearly where the visuals promise it should be.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I'm in the market for a 55+% Kuva Quartakk. Heat or Toxin, (probably Toxin is a better bet). Trade chat has not been productive, so if anyone has a stash or knows a dealer I'll pay whatever the fair market price is and then some. No need for ephemera, though that would be a bonus.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Preechr posted:

I would hope that Seeker Volley (and everything else that isn't void hole and munitions vortex) become good and relevant beyond Earth post-rework.

Hey! Particle ram is relevant (for passively blowing up space rocks lol)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Clearing Earth missions while not in the ship because of Particle Ram will be missed.

Universe Ram, Universe Ram, often kind to smaller rams.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The quickest way to knock out crewships is archwing slingshot + blowing the reactor from the inside. You can hack the reactor shields in spoilermode too.
The reactor has some kind of weird damage mechanics though where some weapons do way more damage than others.

This is absolutely not true. The quickest way to kill a crewship is with the big artillery that uses dome charges. It takes several seconds. Fire at the glowy bit of the engines and even the void crewships will get one-shot. If they're the special kind of shielded crewship, the pilot can just toss off a missile first which will blow up all the weakpoints simultaneously.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Archwing method requires no avionics slots or capacity though. Or resources for ammo.

I do wish the artillery gun was a chosen part so you could pick between different options. Especially as the default has zero explanation of what it is or does. And from what I recall no visual or audio information from firing it. As it is called Artillery. And fires Dome Charges. I had assumed it was a big AoE. Like perhaps something that exploded into a Dome? But you fire it and nothing happens at all. Not even a shot flying into space to land on Konzu later.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Tylana posted:

Archwing method requires no avionics slots or capacity though. Or resources for ammo.

I do wish the artillery gun was a chosen part so you could pick between different options. Especially as the default has zero explanation of what it is or does. And from what I recall no visual or audio information from firing it. As it is called Artillery. And fires Dome Charges. I had assumed it was a big AoE. Like perhaps something that exploded into a Dome? But you fire it and nothing happens at all. Not even a shot flying into space to land on Konzu later.

You don't need avionics or capacity to one-shot crewships. Again, just shoot the engines. Also it absolutely has visual and audio cues: it creates a bunch of noise and light as it charges and shows you a giant rear end space energy beam when it fires, and the visual will brighten the entire space ship for everyone on board.

It would be cool if railjacks could be customized more like FTL (which they clearly took inspiration from) with either different ships or parts. Artillery that did different things would be neat.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Tylana posted:

Are you sure you're charging the shots before releasing the trigger? I ask because it doesn't tell you to, but you do gotta.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i think its called dome charges cause its like you're shootin someone in the dome

a head shot

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Pipski posted:

Are you sure you're charging the shots before releasing the trigger? I ask because it doesn't tell you to, but you do gotta.

It's been a while since I tried. I mostly remember being "I don't know what that did. I don't know if I hit anything. Nothing died. Pointless."

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Tylana posted:

It's been a while since I tried. I mostly remember being "I don't know what that did. I don't know if I hit anything. Nothing died. Pointless."
Early on i ran into a bug where entering the canon as a client could desync (the host wouldn't acknowledge you were in it), which not only caused weirdly offset camera angles, but also meant you could shoot all day on your end while the host wouldn't see any firing (and also nothing would take damage). Pretty rare these days, thankfully.

Also there was a behavior where hitting one of the engines would show 200k damage (on the engine) or something but wouldn't actually touch the health of the actual crewship. I think that's fixed by now.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I've run in to almost no bugs doing Scarlet Spear since the first patch. It helps a lot that there is really very little railjack in scarlet spear.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I loaded up the game for the first time in quite some time and I just see a focus/school selection screen.

I ended up just quitting because its been so long that I don't know what everything is anymore.

Did an update rebalance them or something and force you to choose on login, I vaguely remember already doing that moon quest or whatever and picking a school originally.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah there was a focus tree rebalance, ages ago

pick Zenurik, you'll get them all in the long run

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Really? I ground out all the good waybounds from Zen, Nar and Mad and nothing else in the other two trees even looks remotely tempting.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

McKilligan posted:

Really? I ground out all the good waybounds from Zen, Nar and Mad and nothing else in the other two trees even looks remotely tempting.

The starter Zenurik nodes help you manage energy. 10 points there is about all you'll ever need from that system

(there are other cool situationally useful things, but you need to grind out a bunch of other stuff to replace the energy regen nodes)

gaj70 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 28, 2020

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
They all have nice stuff in. Unairu probably has the least in it. Though the wisps are good for dolons IIRC. And armour waybound (only for your spoilermode)

Vazarin's waybounds are really nice for making your spoiler mode more chufty. EDIT : And some people like the insta revives. And the healing/invuln dash can be neat? Even if how it works on drills and defense targets hasbeen/willbe nerfed.

The active powers aren't awful, but a little awkward to use. Zenurik's slowpunch can be nice in a pinch if you are using Zenurik anyway.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Zen's lightning tears people up and I'm surprised more people don't use it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

smallmouth posted:

Zen's lightning tears people up and I'm surprised more people don't use it.

It's only good if you have crappy weapons. Operator stuff doesn't scale and, for better or worse, DE's explicit design goal is to make Operators not worth using for damage, only utility.

Meanwhile their utility powers are REALLY good and you usually want to save operator energy for that.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Naramon dash + arcane ultimatum :getin:

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Spoilermode still feels like an afterthought at the point I'm at. Aside from popping into it occassionally for Sentients I haven't developed any reflexes for using it to address whatever it is it's supposed to address... If that makes sense.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Spoiler mode is for traveling really fast along a straight line, and for reviving people while getting shot at.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

DisposableHero posted:

Spoilermode still feels like an afterthought at the point I'm at. Aside from popping into it occassionally for Sentients I haven't developed any reflexes for using it to address whatever it is it's supposed to address... If that makes sense.

I user spoiler mode basically all the time in missions. I have Zenurik on all the time, and at the start of each mission I usually do a quick dash to start charging my energy. If I'm dealing with annoying enemies, or take a hit to health, I have Magus Lockdown to cc everything nearby and Magus Repair to quickly heal me (or any allies) that need it, making health and healing a complete non-issue for missions. I also use the extended dash to zoom around maps way faster than bullet jumping or most frames can do, especially open spaces. Spoilermode definitely has a ton of utility if you go into it, and can be a huge boon on higher end difficult missions.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

DisposableHero posted:

Energy dash is the most used thing in OP mode. 5-void dash-5. Its on reflex level when you are out of energy for most of mid to endgame players

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uranium Phoenix posted:

I user spoiler mode basically all the time in missions. I have Zenurik on all the time, and at the start of each mission I usually do a quick dash to start charging my energy. If I'm dealing with annoying enemies, or take a hit to health, I have Magus Lockdown to cc everything nearby and Magus Repair to quickly heal me (or any allies) that need it, making health and healing a complete non-issue for missions. I also use the extended dash to zoom around maps way faster than bullet jumping or most frames can do, especially open spaces. Spoilermode definitely has a ton of utility if you go into it, and can be a huge boon on higher end difficult missions.

This is the same playstyle that I've settled into in the end as well. I'm sure there's other goofy setups, but free energy, fast travel, emergency CC & healing, and invincible rez are just all the utility I want :effort:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Magus Lockdown is insanely overpowered because it gives everyone hard CC on demand

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Even if you don't have it spoiler dash can knockdown a crowd pretty easily.

This gets mentioned all the time but naramon can free up a mod slot that would otherwise have drifting contact, and is nice for farming affinity on melee stuff.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Gremlin mode has heaps of utility, it also allows you to close to melee over 500 metres in 2 seconds while invisible and invincible. You'll learn to love all the powers it has.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Clearly I need practice then. I haven't exactly hit many cases I felt I needed it so I have not been experimenting enough.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

If you were able to get a bunch of arcanes from scarlet spear that will circumvent a lot of the tankiness of spoiler mode but the other utility is quite nice situationally.

Yiu can also do things like crouch to hide, presst to bring up chat (and maybe other menus, I forget) and you will remain cloaked. You can do this while rezzing someone and the rez will continue. It's very lazy and I like it.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's only good if you have crappy weapons. Operator stuff doesn't scale and, for better or worse, DE's explicit design goal is to make Operators not worth using for damage, only utility.

Meanwhile their utility powers are REALLY good and you usually want to save operator energy for that.

Op powers (and amps) definitely need some boosting. But even at high levels zen lightning is still great for dishing out extra damage, particularly if another frame like nova is crowd controlling. Zen lightning plus magus lockdown is just silly.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I've never managed to nail down the dash and dash backward move that people using Virtuos Shadow for Tridolons seem to do regularly. But warping around dealing a bunch of damage while nearly invincible is pretty anime.

Zenurik lightning is handy for me to apply more status effects before I land a bunch more status effects with a condition overload melee tornado build.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Oh, I get it, it's called a Fomorian because it's an event that preys on FOMO to get people to grind it out.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Thanks, just picked Zenurik for now.

I've forgotton almost everything about the game, it's actually really overwhelming as there is all this new content and standings and random extra slots and currencies tucked around the place.

I went through the movement tutorial again and poked around into the open world bit which is all new. I guess ill just potter about in the open world stuff with some low level frames and weapons to get the hang of things again.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Avoid the open worlds until you actually have the game semi solidly back in hand again, also they suck if you don't have the aw launcher to be able to move in a reasonable time-frame when you want to, go get the aw launcher in the clan dojo and grind the materials for it in the earth open world when you're happily pinballing around like a cybermeat ninja on speed.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
But it's worth to do a bunch of low-level bounties on Cetus, since you need Ostron rep to buy fishing gear and mining gear and I'm pretty sure either fishing or mining is required to build the AW launcher. Also, you will need lots of Iradite, which you'll sort of pop into on the way to bounty objectives. And for lower level bounties there shouldn't be people flying around in archwings.

Also, while fishing is somewhat tolerable as a mechanic and I personally find it quite relaxing, mining is absolute garbage.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Yeah a few months ago I started after a gap of like five years and here's my open world advice: do Venus first, until you get the skateboard you can use anywhere, level to buy the sunpoint mining drill, then stop immediately. Then go to earth and do the bare minimum to get materials for the archwing launcher. Don't do any more open world until it is built, at which point you are free.

I did try for a while with just the k drive, did thermia fractures and some ghoul stuff but it was painful.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

threelemmings posted:

Yeah a few months ago I started after a gap of like five years and here's my open world advice: do Venus first, until you get the skateboard you can use anywhere, level to buy the sunpoint mining drill, then stop immediately. Then go to earth and do the bare minimum to get materials for the archwing launcher. Don't do any more open world until it is built, at which point you are free.

Very sound advice on both board and drill. Open world can be frustrating when everyone else zips over to the objective and it's all done by the time you get there. All that affinity wasted too, since you were nowhere in range.

I finally uninstalled the game yesterday when doing a spring clean in my games. Don't think I'm jumping back in for a while as I haven't played in months, but not done with the game either. This looks like a year of change for DE in terms of dev/release practices so it's not a bad time for a break I think. (I hope it's a year of change, something has to give!)