Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really like the story concept of "there are 60 handcrafted lakes, and then infinite procgen ones, but only YOU can go to them because the evil megacorp is restricting lake travel and poisoning lakes", it makes going to the random lakes more exciting!

My one gripe with the game: finding new fish is tough. There's no way to test if a bit of water is viable without actually trying to fish, and with only two lure slots it's tough to test dark/bright/surface-non-surface/all the variables. I know that's part of the fun, but I want some kind of hint thingy, like talking to other fishers. But you can't talk to them about these lakes because they're brand new and unexplored.

For the handful of random lakes I've tried so far, I've had pretty good success with just the standard lures, trying deep and surface at the various depths available in the lake (click the second button down on the minimap that looks like two boxes intertwined to get the underwater topographical map). Then I dissect the fish if it isn't particularly valuable to get more info. So far it seems to me that you don't really need the special lures to at least find the basic fish available on the lake, but tailoring the lure makes it more likely to hit -- and particularly useful if you want to hit a particular kind of fish and there's multiple available in the same area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Did they ever fix the facial animations or does everything still feel like is awkwardly being acted out by robots?

They're better!

Note I am not specifying how much.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

StarkRavingMad posted:

For the handful of random lakes I've tried so far, I've had pretty good success with just the standard lures, trying deep and surface at the various depths available in the lake (click the second button down on the minimap that looks like two boxes intertwined to get the underwater topographical map). Then I dissect the fish if it isn't particularly valuable to get more info. So far it seems to me that you don't really need the special lures to at least find the basic fish available on the lake, but tailoring the lure makes it more likely to hit -- and particularly useful if you want to hit a particular kind of fish and there's multiple available in the same area.

I'm getting better luck now but my last lake had invisible fish EXCEPT in the deep waters, where there was one species. :argh:

This is so soothing and perfect for podcasts though. Sit and fish and listen to dweebs play tabletop rpgs.

e: There should be repercussions for selling alien fish to the evil megacorp, like "hey where'd you get this"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

MZ posted:

Most of the GTA games are an obvious candidate.

GTAIV - I'm Nico just trying to get out of this life of criminality and hang out with my cousin and also commit something close to genocide.

GTAV to it's credit tried to get around that a bit with one of it's playable character's Trevor having a few screws loose whom you could actually imagine doing crazy things.

I like the rear end Creed mismatch of being a sneaky assassin, a silent faceless killer in the crowd - except you stick out like crazy, have a big sword strapped to your back, and one of your common missions is brawling in the streets, having huge swordfights against like 8 guys. Then the rando you've saved for reasons says they're going to tell everyone in the city about you and what you did over the screams of the cityfolk who've just witnessed a brutal massacre in broad daylight

Of course being a badass trained assassin means you have the incredible strength and agility to make a run for it and do all kinds of sweet flips and climbing to get up onto the roofs of the city. Oh and so can every random cop, all parkouring in full chain mail carrying broadswords and flitting around the sky like grasshoppers. Meanwhile if you're up on the king's castle ramparts hanging off the side to be sneaky, and one of the guards sees you, they go "oi m8 you're not supposed to be here" until you move away from them a bit

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Xaris posted:

I presume you've already played Defender Quest which is goonmade and really good. A few others:

-Dungeon Warfare 1 and 2 are excellent, I think 2 is a little too much feature bloat and rng maps and things like that, but it's good. 1 was more fun because it felt puzzle-like and not worried you didnt grind out enough upgrades./
-Gemcraft Frostborn Wrath is good and just came out
-X-Morph Defense is legitimately pretty great and came out a couple years ago
-Kingdom Rush games are fine, if not a little too simple and kinda mobile-portish quality but I had fun with them.
-Immortal Defense is a top TD but a bit strange.

Warstone TD was really janky and buggy when I played it awhile back but seemed fun for a bit at the fundamental level. I don't know if it's gotten polished or not but if it has it could be a solid choice.

I've been playing Mindustry the last couple days, and am really enjoying it after a couple false starts. I want to try some more TD games; I haven't tried any of these. X-Morph Defense looks neat too; watched a youtube video and the VA is dire enough to make me cringe, but at least you can mute that :v:

I'm told the Orcs Must Die! games are great too? I played the first for a few minutes in the ancient past; damned if I remember where, I don't have it on Steam

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I'm told the Orcs Must Die! games are great too? I played the first for a few minutes in the ancient past; damned if I remember where, I don't have it on Steam
I'm not sure how they hold up today when it comes to mechanics, but it's tons of fun watching orcs fly, fall, get pushed, flattened, squashed from the sides, electrocuted, set on fire, dissolved in acid, launched to endless void...

It's a real shame they tried to turn OMD 3 into a MOBA that unsurprisingly flopped and (IIRC) never made it past closed beta stage.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 28, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I have been playing way too much Kingdom Rush games ever since they were almost all given for free on the PlayStore a couple weeks ago. There's a few weird missteps but they're overall very solid. I remember Orcs Must Die being good? I checked my library right now and it seems the last time I played 2 was six years ago but it was very satisfying and had surprisingly good battle music.

Sang Froid is another good Tower Defense where you play as a character in the field.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

OMD was Tecmo's Deception meets Tower Defense. It was really fun, and I dunno why they thought to make it into a MOBA instead of just adding more characters and orc types and stuff.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Xaris posted:

I presume you've already played Defender Quest which is goonmade and really good. A few others:

-Dungeon Warfare 1 and 2 are excellent, I think 2 is a little too much feature bloat and rng maps and things like that, but it's good. 1 was more fun because it felt puzzle-like and not worried you didnt grind out enough upgrades./
-Gemcraft Frostborn Wrath is good and just came out
-X-Morph Defense is legitimately pretty great and came out a couple years ago
-Kingdom Rush games are fine, if not a little too simple and kinda mobile-portish quality but I had fun with them.
-Immortal Defense is a top TD but a bit strange.

Warstone TD was really janky and buggy when I played it awhile back but seemed fun for a bit at the fundamental level. I don't know if it's gotten polished or not but if it has it could be a solid choice.

Don't forget Sanctum or Sanctum 2

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Don't forget Sanctum or Sanctum 2

I personally really hated Sanctum games. OMD was way better for that combined shooter-trap type gameplay. Super Sanctum was kind of a fun low-budget spinoff though more in the trad TD sense that I liked.

Samuringa posted:

I have been playing way too much Kingdom Rush games ever since they were almost all given for free on the PlayStore a couple weeks ago. There's a few weird missteps but they're overall very solid. I remember Orcs Must Die being good? I checked my library right now and it seems the last time I played 2 was six years ago but it was very satisfying and had surprisingly good battle music.

Sang Froid is another good Tower Defense where you play as a character in the field.
Yeah I enjoy Kingdom Rush games a lot. I think general simplicity but lots of tower in-field ugprades helps it a lot, I feel some TDs get too bogged down in grind and RNG maps and all kinds of bloat that are kind of a turn off, but KR sticks to what's best.

Sang Froid was cool and I almost listed it, but it has a very high level of jank in it's controls. Sadly it seems like the studio was basically just a one-off development and never made a second one. E: Sang Froid is free now lol, yeah go ahead and play that as well.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 28, 2020

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
[Orcs Must Die ] The team might have legitimately wanted to make something more? They had made two basically identical games in short order, not everyone wants to make 'fifa' every year.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Xakura posted:

[Orcs Must Die ] The team might have legitimately wanted to make something more? They had made two basically identical games in short order, not everyone wants to make 'fifa' every year.

Tencent purchased a rather large stake in them a couple of years before it came out, and they were hurting for money. I don't think most devs want to set out to build a flavor-of-the-month free2play lootbox MOBA for funsies but instead were likely, lets' just say, heavily incentivized to chase the flavor dragon.

or maybe i'm wrong, maybe developers really love changing gears to making lootbox horse armors and mobas.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 28, 2020

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Xaris posted:

Tencent purchased a rather large stake in them a couple of years before it came out, and they were hurting for money. I don't think most devs want to set out to build a flavor-of-the-month free2play lootbox MOBA for funsies but instead were likely, lets' just say, heavily incentivized to chase the flavor dragon.

Huh, I thought omd 1 and 2 were fairly successful?

Dang, I forgot they were the Age of Empires Online people. Well, I forgot Age of Empires Online existed.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm going to do it. I'm going to buy the fish game I only just found out about. The dev rundown was charming enough that I'm gonna take the plunge.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

OMD was Tecmo's Deception meets Tower Defense. It was really fun, and I dunno why they thought to make it into a MOBA instead of just adding more characters and orc types and stuff.

Wow, Tecmo's Deception. Reading that sure bought back a flood of fun memories. :allears:

so uh, TD games are cool, I'll look at Kingdom Rush after I've tapped out Mindustry, but uh, any modern Tecmo's Deception-likes out there??? :pray:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 28, 2020

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Has anybody played Hunter: Call of the Wild lately?

I played it last year and got pissed when some deer's AI glitched and it got stuck running in front of a rock. I shot it something like 8 times point blank, aiming as close to both the head and heart as I could and... nothing. When it finally unglitched, it just ran off, bleeding *a little bit* and nothing else. At that point I decided I wasn't going to bother with a hunting game where "realism" was expressed by making it entirely unrealistically difficult to kill anything.

Was this just a really weird one-off thing? Do animals actually die when you shoot them now?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Call of the Wild has some of the most intensive internal hitbox requirements on your shots of basically any game I've ever seen. You can very easily shoot a deer in the "head" but entirely miss the brain and it'll gently caress off and run for thirty minutes. Obvious probably rare glitch aside, your call on whether that's worth your time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Wow, Tecmo's Deception. Reading that sure bought back a flood of fun memories. :allears:

so uh, TD games are cool, I'll look at Kingdom Rush after I've tapped out Mindustry, but uh, any modern Tecmo's Deception-likes out there??? :pray:

Deception got a fourth entry a couple years back. Sadly no PC port.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Deception got a fourth entry a couple years back. Sadly no PC port.

gently caress I was happier not knowiiiing :negative:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

GreatGreen posted:

Has anybody played Hunter: Call of the Wild lately?

I played it last year and got pissed when some deer's AI glitched and it got stuck running in front of a rock. I shot it something like 8 times point blank, aiming as close to both the head and heart as I could and... nothing. When it finally unglitched, it just ran off, bleeding *a little bit* and nothing else. At that point I decided I wasn't going to bother with a hunting game where "realism" was expressed by making it entirely unrealistically difficult to kill anything.

Was this just a really weird one-off thing? Do animals actually die when you shoot them now?

That sounds like a glitch tbh.
Animals do have modeled organs, but 8 hits with most weapons should have done enough damage to down an animal in fairly short order even if you missed all the internal organs.

If you're using the starter rifle you should avoid aiming at the head(because deer have small hard to hit brains) and heart from the front(because the starter ammo can't penetrate far enough to hit it and it's small) and try to go for "broadside" shots, that is aiming for the sides of the chest as flat on as you can in order to hit the lungs and maximize your chances of downing an animal quickly.

I do think the game is worth your time personally but I'm obviously biased

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 29, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Samuringa posted:

Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately, I can't really choose what units, or even factions, I take in the tutorial but for some reason attacking the gate while all enemies fled for no reason worked, even after it exploded, killing all my units that were there. Tutorial Complete!

I'll take a look at those videos and just try to play a normal campaign to see what happens.

It's been a long time since I've played the tutorial for Shogun 2, but it sounds like that's from the siege battle tutorial, and one of the general tips I learned was that it's costly to fight siege battles if you're the attacker. Then again, I might be misremembering that.

You can also ask over in the Total War thread for more information.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 29, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Is the base Total War Shogun 2 game good or should I take the opportunity to get a couple of these cheap DLCs? If the base game is fine, I'll just enjoy my free game.

Also, does it run okay in Win10?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Fall of the Samurai is loving amazing

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah Fall is really good. Rise is okay but it's mostly making you work with less units while Fall is about new tech clashing with the old ways. It really captures that "end of an era" feeling with gunpowder units.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
It's extremely good as is. One of my favorites. Maybe pick up the blood dlc on sale if you want to see red fields.

I cannot believe the game is nine years old. What. in. the. world.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Fall of the Samurai is the best Total War game to date. This was my opinion before Total Warhammer 1 and it's one I have slowly come back to as I have gotten extremely tired of how more modern TW AI cheats incessantly and the agent and map dance gameplay got on my nerves. Shogun and Fall solve basically all of these problems both by virtue of being older and by having more limited troop options and strategic map volume.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I don’t see Fall of the Samurai as available DLC. Is it a separate game?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

I don’t see Fall of the Samurai as available DLC. Is it a separate game?

Ah yeah looks like they moved it out into their side-game Saga branding a couple years ago, probably around when Britannia started that whole thing. It's $7.50 right now and very, very much worth that if you like early gunpowder stuff at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
big props to Amid Evil for having such intuitive level design even when everything starts going all Escher on you

I’m at the final world now and I’ve only gotten lost once

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's the faction I want to roll with in Elex? The druggies?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fallom posted:

What's the faction I want to roll with in Elex? The druggies?

Depends on what you care about.

Storywise the Clerics will always suck, the Beserkers kinda suck, and the Druggies suck but you can kill the sucky people and turn them into a great faction.

Gameplaywise, the Clerics focus on energy weapons/mechs ( which I never found great ), Beserkers handle magic ( which is generally ok ), and Druggies focus on drugs/guns/rocket launchers. All of which are laughably broken.

I've only ever done a Beserkers and Druggies run tbh. Maybe Clerics become with it with their path. Magic was fun, and the Beserker characters are neat, albeit it's a little to uh, focused. Druggies is hilarious because of the aforementioned you can just challenge all the dicks and kill them and the game adapts stuff.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Clerics have the best powers and gear but they're basically the Brotherhood of Steel but even bigger assholes and their main method of recruitment is kidnapping and brainwashing people, the Medieval guys are the fastest way to get to not being terrible in combat but also awful in their own way, the Outlaw weapons and drugs I feel are fine but not great, they're basically like working with a bandit faction in a fallout game but you can kill all the terrible people so storywise they're probably the best.

Cleric's: Energy Weapons and Future Wizard powers(kinda broken)
Outlaws:Normal weapons, rocket launchers and flamethrowers, Crafting focus(not super useful imo), Drugs
Berserkers: Traditional fantasy magic, Strong classic melee weapons,Weapon enchanting, Bows

You can use whatever weapons you can get your hands on though so it's really not a big deal tbh, I'd say just try out the starter quests for them all and pick whichever you like best.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 29, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have a UT2k4 server going, I have a BC2 server going I can scale up to having players again.What games with dedicated servers that'll play on anything should I look into running based on what's available on Steam?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I thought the clerics were easily the most important story-wise, considering the larger picture.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yeah they're probably the most important to the main storyline.

Edit:Agreed It really isn't a big deal, it all ends up in the same place and the alb stuff is dumb imo so just pick your favorite.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 29, 2020

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
eh.

Beserkers ending basically starts on the path of healing the planet.. Outlaws is more rebuilding society. Clerics have more ties to the Albs/stuff that happens in the end, but it doesn't really matter considering how

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have a UT2k4 server going, I have a BC2 server going I can scale up to having players again.What games with dedicated servers that'll play on anything should I look into running based on what's available on Steam?

I play Killing Floor 2 regularly with friends, but I've no idea if the Steam player base is enough to warrant running your own server.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Good morning literally all I want to do is play this drat fishing game. It's so soothing but also deep enough and I enjoy making lures and what's that, I have AAA games installed calling for me? no, I must fish

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Huh, there's a free expac to Kingdom Two Crowns, that's a crossover with... Bloodstained Ritual of the Night?

Weird timing as they're both a couple of years old now, but the crossover looks dope as hell aesthetically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bloodstained came out less than a year ago.