Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Here’s the interview

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/04...0ZoQWNZRk9yYw..

Yes they really did get the black guy to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How many teams even bother to run background checks on their head coach candidates considering the whole Patricia poo poo, which of course got ignored after a couple weeks or so. Chiefs were allowed to keep their domestic abuser around Bowl because they didn't want to release him after their last RB with rage issues got to join another team easily with only a few games suspension.

Hell, if Bob McNair was alive he'd probably make that kicker the face of the franchise after O'Brian traded a third for him due to having that Patriots prestige.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chiefs restructured LDT?

https://twitter.com/Jacobs71/status/1255229043642896384?s=20

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Chiefs restructured LDT?

Frees up room this year and probably means he's gone next? Which makes me sad, he's not the greatest guard in the league but he's pretty good and goddamn do I like bragging on having an actual medical doctor playing football for my team.

e: also makes me sad since you know, football this year is a questionable prospect at best.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Did some quick napkin math and I think our rookies will only cost about 1.8M in cap space to sign, which is essentially what cutting colquitt freed up. So 3-3.5M in cap space at the moment with LDT restructured.

Of course, there's 73M next year, so if Jones gets paid then we're probably gonna be okay.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol the racist kicker that the Pats drafted literally started crying in an interview last night as he pleaded ignorance about his tattoos meaning.

gently caress that guy

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I know nobody has any idea but it's fun to speculate: how much money do you guys think Mahomes will command when he signs, besides ALL OF IT? It seems like Matt Ryan has the biggest contract in terms of guaranteed money ($94,500,000) and Russell Wilson in terms of average per year ($35,000,000).

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Mystic Stylez posted:

I know nobody has any idea but it's fun to speculate: how much money do you guys think Mahomes will command when he signs, besides ALL OF IT? It seems like Matt Ryan has the biggest contract in terms of guaranteed money ($94,500,000) and Russell Wilson in terms of average per year ($35,000,000).

4 year, $160m. $120m, guaranteed.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'm gonna guess it's at least a 5 year deal, and I wouldn't be surprised if he took a little less than 40M per, although I don't expect him to do a deep discount for more rings (although I would love it!)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mystic Stylez posted:

Whatever it is if his arm falls off tomorrow morning it would still be worth it to me.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The raw numbers don't really matter. It's all about % of the cap. I don't think Mahomes can command higher than 20% without utterly crippling the Chiefs. New QB contracts are getting between 13-15% of the cap at the time they're signed. Mahomes isn't your run-of-the-mill new QB though, so probably somewhere around 16-18% of the total cap.

Cousins's contract does add a new twist to this, though. I expect Mahomes to demand a fully guaranteed contract, and the Chiefs will happily give it to him to avoid having to pay out 20% or higher.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A fun thing to think about is what happens to teams with huge contracts if the salary cap ever starts receding! Such as, for example, lost profits from a missed season thanks to the coronavirus!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

A fun thing to think about is what happens to teams with huge contracts if the salary cap ever starts receding! Such as, for example, lost profits from a missed season thanks to the coronavirus!

The NFLPA would never stand for th- aahahahahahahaha

Mahomes gets 30M/yr fully guaranteed for 5 years, we all good with this?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

If Mahomes doesn’t push for a 100% fully guaranteed contract then basically no player will. He has infinite leverage.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

shirts and skins posted:

Still can't get over Sofi having the money to land am NFL stadium sponsorship. loving sofi. What a world.

There’s trillions floating in the student loan racket.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Woofer posted:

There’s trillions floating in the student loan racket.

I know, it's so loving bleak. Three years to go on mine...

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
It's official. No word on contract numbers yet.

https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/1255255566882156548

https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/1255257727103877121

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The holdup on Cam sighing anywhere has to be because teams want to personally run him through workouts to see just where his injuries are right?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's probably the weird tweet font.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The holdup on Cam sighing anywhere has to be because teams want to personally run him through workouts to see just where his injuries are right?

Or money

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Diva Cupcake posted:

If Mahomes doesn’t push for a 100% fully guaranteed contract then basically no player will. He has infinite leverage.

Kirk Cousins got a fully guaranteed contract

lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mahomes should demand a part of team ownership.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Mahomes should demand a trade

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Well, the one next frontier kind of contract that comes up whenever these mega qb deals are negotiated is that the QB will want his compensation to be a defined percentage of the team's salary cap rather than a specific amount.

Rumors are that Wilson's agent put that on the table before he got his $35mm per. It always seems to have been just a bargaining chip and a team would fight like hell to not allow the precedent but if anyone could get there Mahomes could.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

To the Raiders

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Kirk Cousins got a fully guaranteed contract

lol

Cousins bet on himself repeatedly until he got that deal and it somehow worked.

Like, he has his problems as a quarterback but man did he play the contract game the right way.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It's probably the weird tweet font.

he tries to sign contracts that way and the lawyers keep telling him no

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The league realizes that Cam Newton has been corrupted by Zalgo and that's why he tweets the way he does.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm gonna guess it's at least a 5 year deal, and I wouldn't be surprised if he took a little less than 40M per, although I don't expect him to do a deep discount for more rings (although I would love it!)
I think he'll take a bit less than what he should get from the Chiefs (everything) so that they can keep some other talent.

He's still definitely going to be the highest paid player in the NFL for sure but probably not as much as he could be.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I think Newton's tweet font is more of an offense to the league than anything Kaepernick ever did.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He had an injury to his foot and his throwing shoulder. He's useless without either. Teams aren't giving him poo poo till he runs and throws one 50 yards.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

IMO the compensatory pick system is bad.

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/1255109684199071745

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

what's even the spirit of the rule then? ridiculous

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I mean, the risk of holding out to get the compensatory pick is that the player could theoretically sign elsewhere. Seems like a fair trade off imo.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah there will be football.

https://twitter.com/salsports/status/1255317713871831041?s=21

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The league has already said that every state needs to be open to the NFL for the league year to start and California is the holdout, not New York. All the sudden having 3 of your 32 team league in California doesn't seem so smart eh rog?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

The league has already said that every state needs to be open to the NFL for the league year to start and California is the holdout, not New York. All the sudden having 3 of your 32 team league in California doesn't seem so smart eh rog?

California just extended till end of May and MGH recommends 3 more months or the death toll will hit 1M.

There may be football this year but there sure as gently caress won’t be fans at the games.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

ketchup vs catsup posted:

California just extended till end of May and MGH recommends 3 more months or the death toll will hit 1M.

There may be football this year but there sure as gently caress won’t be fans at the games.

A healthcare official for Santa Clara County, where the Niners play, said we would be "extremely lucky" to be in a place to have crowds before thanksgiving

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I think the quarantine might've gotten to Breeland: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29110216/chiefs-cornerback-bashaud-breeland-faces-multiple-charges-south-carolina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Lol it sounds like they threw the book at him. "Having alcohol in a motor vehicle with the seal broken" and "having an open container of beer or wine in a vehicle" being separate charges seems really petty.

Don't drink and drive, kids, of course. But still.