Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, once you have ecumenopolises a fair chunk of your empire needs to just be resource extractors to put out enough minerals, energy and food to supply it the ridiculous amounts it can consume. On the plus side, you can just use the planets you were previously using as forge and factory worlds, since ecumenopolises make those obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Torrannor posted:

Arctic, Alpine and Tundra worlds have more mineral districts on average than wet and dry planets, respectively.

Huh, I'd never heard about this. Where did you hear about it?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's something that's existed since way back into tiles, and was maintained into the new district system. It was added a ways into the life of Stellaris(Or possibly was only mentioned by Paradox in passing into it's life), I think, rather than being completely random. Dry planets favour energy showing up, Cold worlds favour minerals, wet favours food. Note 'Favours' doesn't mean 'guaranteed'. Randomess is still random, after all.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

yeah, I need to disable/replace the consumer goods and alloy production buildings on my worlds and just move all that to the ecu. it's like mid-2300s, the Khan hasn't even woken up yet, so I simply don't have the pops or minerals to flood into the ecu just yet. Gonna take some revamping of my empire setup. I need alloy production bad, though, so this will be great in the long run.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It also goes for the strategic resources. Wet planets can have gas deposits, dry ones can have dusty deserts, and cold ones can have crystal caverns.

Gort posted:

ecumenopolises

The plural of ecumenopolis is ecumenopoles (with a long e). Same for other words that end in -is, like crisis or axis. Not trying to dog on anyone, it's just my favorite English plural rule and I like sharing it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The plural of ecumenopolis is ecumenopoles (with a long e). Same for other words that end in -is, like crisis or axis. Not trying to dog on anyone, it's just my favorite English plural rule and I like sharing it.

I don't think this is right, but I'm also unsure if there's a right answer.

Gort fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 28, 2020

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Do you have a source for that? Wikipedia/wiktionary say ecumenopolises or ecumenopoleis. I don't speak greek but I suspect it's actually -sis and -xis that get the e.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The actual greek plural is ecumenopoleis. is-es is an English rule.

E: Upon actually looking it up, for the specific root -polis, -polises, -poles and -poleis are all considered legitimate, in descending order of common use. That's on me.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 28, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

English rules are mostly bullshit because they have so many exceptions

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So what's the ideal world for an ecu again?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Lawman 0 posted:

So what's the ideal world for an ecu again?

A small world can be build to an ecumenopolis quickly, but a large one makes a larger ecumenopolis in the end. I tend to go for small ones first.

Restored relic worlds have a research bonus, so use those for your research ecumenopolises.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gort posted:

A small world can be build to an ecumenopolis quickly, but a large one makes a larger ecumenopolis in the end. I tend to go for small ones first.
I wish this was a general thing that applied across the game, where small worlds come online faster but big worlds are a better long term investment.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

There's a bunch of useful UI improvements I was crying out for in my last game- the ability to organise military fleets myself in the outliner rather than it being entirely down to the order in which they were created. I'd like to keep my patrolling anti-piracy fleets seperate from my military fleets. I'd also like it so that when I open the trade overlay and check for systems with high piracy, clicking them would zoom me to the system in question. Seems like a very strange and basic oversight that one.

Also having a screen listing megaprojects and showing ones in progress, particularly for Gateways. They don't show on the galaxy map as megaprojects or as gates when they're still under construction so I either have to remember where I've built them or leave construction ships permanently in the system until they are building their final stage.

Finally the megashipyard is awesome but I wish the game would prioritise it more reliably. I built a gateway in the same system and had a fleet needing reinforcement in another system with a gateway and yet when I hit reinforce, shipyards in ordinary starbases away from gates started building.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PiCroft posted:

There's a bunch of useful UI improvements I was crying out for in my last game- the ability to organise military fleets myself in the outliner rather than it being entirely down to the order in which they were created. I'd like to keep my patrolling anti-piracy fleets seperate from my military fleets. I'd also like it so that when I open the trade overlay and check for systems with high piracy, clicking them would zoom me to the system in question. Seems like a very strange and basic oversight that one.

Also having a screen listing megaprojects and showing ones in progress, particularly for Gateways. They don't show on the galaxy map as megaprojects or as gates when they're still under construction so I either have to remember where I've built them or leave construction ships permanently in the system until they are building their final stage.

Finally the megashipyard is awesome but I wish the game would prioritise it more reliably. I built a gateway in the same system and had a fleet needing reinforcement in another system with a gateway and yet when I hit reinforce, shipyards in ordinary starbases away from gates started building.

The way it weights flight time versus build time when farming out ship construction seems really strange overall. Look: it's a just Corvette, just queue it don't start construction across the literal galaxy!

E: Also, Alpha Centauri being one of the one-jump systems from Earth (and a guaranteed world location 9 times out of 10) can be a punch in the dick in the very early game (I do appreciate the nod of acknowledgement to the greats of the genre obviously but :wtc:, goddamn is that system big.)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i almost always deliberately turn all my other shipyards into anchorages after i have my gate system set up, just due to the fact i rarely ever need the capacity to build 50 ships at a time and a mega shipyard can handle it on its own

but i also try to have a sector w/ a fleet captain gov setup to leverage it even more

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

someone a few pages back suggested a lithoid ring world start was very strong. how is that the case, what’s the strategy? they start with energy workers and a huge mineral deficit, but need minerals to expand the ring world and also feed their pops. it seems to be a major disadvantage having to buy minerals from market at start until you have a mining planet going to support your ring. right?

phone posting

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

pmchem posted:

someone a few pages back suggested a lithoid ring world start was very strong. how is that the case, what’s the strategy? they start with energy workers and a huge mineral deficit, but need minerals to expand the ring world and also feed their pops. it seems to be a major disadvantage having to buy minerals from market at start until you have a mining planet going to support your ring. right?

phone posting

There's not a mineral deficit. You start with tons of mineral mining stations (something like 35-40ish minerals) which is plenty for your pops to live on until you can get a colony ship out to set up a mining planet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

The way it weights flight time versus build time when farming out ship construction seems really strange overall. Look: it's a just Corvette, just queue it don't start construction across the literal galaxy!

E: Also, Alpha Centauri being one of the one-jump systems from Earth (and a guaranteed world location 9 times out of 10) can be a punch in the dick in the very early game (I do appreciate the nod of acknowledgement to the greats of the genre obviously but :wtc:, goddamn is that system big.)

I think it's probably a nod to the actual star system nearest to Sol rather than the video game of the same name, which has stellar features that make it quite big. Paradox probably knew that they'd get endless complaints from lonely nerds otherwise

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

QuarkJets posted:

I think it's probably a nod to the actual star system nearest to Sol

The what now?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

QuarkJets posted:

I think it's probably a nod to the actual star system nearest to Sol rather than the video game of the same name, which has stellar features that make it quite big. Paradox probably knew that they'd get endless complaints from lonely nerds otherwise

I mean it's probably both.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

The what now?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Centauri

It's definitely what the game Alpha Centauri was named after so this is purely an academic exercise, I just think it's cool that Paradox decided to include details from our actual galaxy

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

pmchem posted:

phone posting

The ringworld itself doesn't offer mineral districts but the damaged ring section and the planet that clearly collided with it provide a lot of minerals and the mining stations are already built. This lets you focus on getting the other districts up and running without needing to worry about food.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

deathbagel posted:

There's not a mineral deficit. You start with tons of mineral mining stations (something like 35-40ish minerals) which is plenty for your pops to live on until you can get a colony ship out to set up a mining planet.

And Tyler Too! posted:

The ringworld itself doesn't offer mineral districts but the damaged ring section and the planet that clearly collided with it provide a lot of minerals and the mining stations are already built. This lets you focus on getting the other districts up and running without needing to worry about food.

I'm looking at a hive mind lithoid ringworld start that is 300 (-11) on minerals. Producing 60/month but consuming 71/month due to jobs and pops. There is only one free mining station spot in system, for +3. I... would be worried about buying food, yes?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

QuarkJets posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Centauri

It's definitely what the game Alpha Centauri was named after so this is purely an academic exercise, I just think it's cool that Paradox decided to include details from our actual galaxy

Oh hey, neat. Did NASA name it after the game or what?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Schadenboner posted:

baaaaiiiiitttt

The wiki article is pretty neat actually. Looks like there were two different names for the star system, and when they discovered it was a binary system they just gave one name to each star.

Then it turns out it's a trinary system

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

pmchem posted:

I'm looking at a hive mind lithoid ringworld start that is 300 (-11) on minerals. Producing 60/month but consuming 71/month due to jobs and pops. There is only one free mining station spot in system, for +3. I... would be worried about buying food, yes?

Ahh, that's why. Hive minds don't have consumer goods, so every job that normally has a consumer goods requirement changes to Minerals for a Lithoid Hive Mind (It goes to energy for robot hive minds and to food I think for regular hive minds?) so all of the starting jobs all eat up the minerals. The OP start would be without using a Hive Mind, just a normal Lithoid race.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Bungula will be the the starting system name for my next joke species.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

pmchem posted:

phone posting

Its a small malus with the benefit that after you clear the gas/crystal tunnel blocker you can build a 20 job research segment and a trade district with no maintenance. Just make sure to have a mine planet settled OR good mining systems claimed. You even have a ready supply of working pops doing useless farming to move to the new jobs. It's an enormous power boon

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

I think so yeah pretty sure I saw a documentariatician saying that

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It also goes for the strategic resources. Wet planets can have gas deposits, dry ones can have dusty deserts, and cold ones can have crystal caverns.

You haven't been introduced to the joys of octopodes?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh, I know all about octopodes, which is more or less the same story. Octopuses is the obvious standard English, octopi is the Latin pluralization, preferred by those who care a little or a lot about grammar, and octopodes is the original Greek pluralization. I've come to the conclusion, after modest amounts of research, that if you had to declare one the proper pluralization, it would be octopi, because the word octopus was adopted into Latin and the English word comes from the Latin one, rather than the Greek one.

But also, all three are considered legitimate English words, and thus I use the one that is most fun to say, octopodes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

I think so yeah pretty sure I saw a documentariatician saying that

Cool, didn't know they made video games back in 1603

Kind of neat

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Libluini posted:

Cool, didn't know they made video games back in 1603

Kind of neat

Take one look at alpha centauri's graphics and you'll believe that's the year it was made

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Is there a way to make the game actually use the planet name lists for the player?

Like when I make an empire the name lists say stuff like, "Garden of Hope", "Garbog's Domain" and so on for planet names, and I see the AI naming their planets like that, but when I settle a planet it just calls them poo poo like, "Alpha Centauri Prime" by default.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gort posted:

Is there a way to make the game actually use the planet name lists for the player?

Like when I make an empire the name lists say stuff like, "Garden of Hope", "Garbog's Domain" and so on for planet names, and I see the AI naming their planets like that, but when I settle a planet it just calls them poo poo like, "Alpha Centauri Prime" by default.

You hit the random name button?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

Click the dice in the top right corner of the colony name menu to use a name from your namelist.

No, I don't know why there isn't an option to default to it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ah, I must've missed the button.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I had never noticed that button until it was brought up. :aaa:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
another fun bug, while the game was autosaving I was absentmindedly mashing the "build city district" button on a 13-slot planet that has all districts already built, and it has now queued up 19 city districts and expanded the maximum city districts squares under the city district icon on the planet UI to 19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm really digging the planetary features mod and wish I had been using it sooner, it's super generous with the alloy deposits and gave me a Gaia world with +20% alloys produced bonus.