Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
for whatever reason my human/insect/nightmareish creature freezer for animals to eat basically stayed completely full (i think because a colonist was feeding them animal meat) and the moment 2 huge raids worth of corpses rot all of a sudden its half empty despite still having a freezer full of meat

is there any better security measure than a long corridor full of spike traps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

it is good or bad to use a brain control chip to turn an abrasive misogynist raider into a meat suit for one of my kind robots so he can sleep in the same bed as his human wife?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Jose posted:

is there any better security measure than a long corridor full of spike traps?

As long as you got defenses for sappers and drop pods, no, not really. Eventually you get a really long trap corridor and sometimes it's just more fun to fight with bullets than, "well here's to rebuilding the trap that's killed 80 raiders over the same number of raids." But, that puts your colonists at risk, which a really long trap corridor is good at removing them from harm's way.

Traps don't do super well against centipedes, but they'll clear out all the other mechanoids making the raid easier to deal with and give centipedes some damage.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

it is good or bad to use a brain control chip to turn an abrasive misogynist raider into a meat suit for one of my kind robots so he can sleep in the same bed as his human wife?

Is a war crime really a crime if it's done for love?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i really like the gun emplacements that vanilla expanded security adds. i don't like the traps so much cause i kept having my own homies set them off

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

i really like the gun emplacements that vanilla expanded security adds. i don't like the traps so much cause i kept having my own homies set them off

Put them in a checker pattern and they'll walk around them. Friendlies and anyone else you wouldnt want to trigger them will also go around

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Or just use ED Enhanced Options to prevent friendlies from triggering traps.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The front third+ of my trap hall becomes bear traps (from vanilla expanded) to get most things while not consuming materials, while the back third sometimes gets converted to plasteel spike traps, the thought being that the things that even get to the spike traps are things that'll turn into plasteel themselves.

As you're using vanilla expanded, the concealed floor turrets are neat with a trap corridor. As they explode like regular turrets, they are fantastic for re-attaching to the powered power grid so they pop out of the floor in the middle of a raid. Either 6 of them popping out at once can kill a whole ton of raiders/mechanoids with bullets, or they get popped wiping out or severely damaging the enemies adjacent. I just space them enough so they don't pop each other.

You could even pair an exploding concealed floor turret with a chemfuel bomb.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm not sure which mod it is, whether VE: Security or something else; but I like the emplaced machine guns I can put down. You have low shooting skill, but will partake in violence and all the mortars are taken?

MAN THE GUNS! More dakka!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
For anyone using Pawnmorpher, a word of advice, just straight up injecting the slurry (or getting mutations from the environment like mining the special ore or the ship chunk event) leads to hosed up but whacky results. Like snake bottoms, fox middles, bird arms, and deer top kind of modifications.

Question though for those that use it regularly, when is a good point to stabilize? Usually I'm aiming for a slight improvement in something, like say manipulation, and end it before too much changes unless I'm just throwing away a pawn and taking it to the point where I get the no longer considered human message, but I'm wondering if anyone has find a good rule of thumb to follow to maximize benefits here.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I like dexterous hands, and if any parts get too hosed up I just replace them with standard prosthethics/bionics. This is normally the jaw.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yeah I just let them get as hosed as possible then replace anything negative with bionics. Usually I'll let them turn into an animal and then hit them with a reverter,v wish stabilizes them also.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

nessin posted:

For anyone using Pawnmorpher, a word of advice, just straight up injecting the slurry (or getting mutations from the environment like mining the special ore or the ship chunk event) leads to hosed up but whacky results. Like snake bottoms, fox middles, bird arms, and deer top kind of modifications.

Question though for those that use it regularly, when is a good point to stabilize? Usually I'm aiming for a slight improvement in something, like say manipulation, and end it before too much changes unless I'm just throwing away a pawn and taking it to the point where I get the no longer considered human message, but I'm wondering if anyone has find a good rule of thumb to follow to maximize benefits here.

i wait till it says they're in danger of fully transforming then hit them with the stabilizer. if they start getting negative aspects you can give them an x-aspect pill to wipe it and give them another shot at paragon or something good.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Holy gently caress the game is finally playable

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I can't believe people are subjecting their pawns to nutrient paste

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TalonDemonKing posted:

I can't believe people are subjecting their pawns to nutrient paste food poisoning

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TalonDemonKing posted:

I can't believe people are subjecting their pawns to nutrient paste wasting food on prisoners

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Not gonna lie, this was probably the #1 reason why I haven't used it for prisoners because I hate the aesthetics of the blob of nutrient paste dispenser with incomplete walls, or having the entire thing walled in somewhere as a massive waste of space.

There was a mod that gave a button press to dispense nutrient paste meals but it didn't get updated - Smarter Food Selection. Loved that mod.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is there a way to feed nutrient paste to animals? These chickens are getting expensive.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

if they're picked up out of a starvation emergency, yes.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

deep dish peat moss posted:

After a recent gigantic Tribal raid that got blown up by my battery of mortars the second they stepped foot on my map, I have way too drat many undead. What can I do with such a force?

(Everyone to the right of Duke is a zombie)

They sure make picking this big ol' garden a lot easier, but they also demolish my framerate. I've been using them as a mass painting force to decorate my base but that won't last much longer

Edit: I mean other than the obvious "mutate them all into dinosaurs then release them upon a helpless world"

VVV Yeah I guess the question I should be asking is "what can I do to get rid of such a force (other than just dismissing them because that's boring)". There are also around 25 visitors in my base right now :( I guess Randy is telling me that social distancing is over.

Maybe I'll load them all up w/ guns and send them on an undead crusade across the desert

Mind if I ask for your mod list?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

is there a mod to make grow zones look nicer? like lil tilled fields or something?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Is there a way to feed nutrient paste to animals? These chickens are getting expensive.
Yes, but you have to use a weird "exploit" to make the meals: https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Nutrient_paste_dispenser#Manually_producing_meals

After they're sitting on the ground they're just items like simple meals. Your animals will eat them if they're in their allowed area.

Note, however, that for chickens it might not be worth giving them paste meals - chickens get full off of only a fraction of the nutrition provided by a meal, so some large chunk of it will be wasted.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
That said I've been looking for a mod that lets animals walk up to and use the nutrient paste dispenser and it doesn't seem like there is one.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Chicken farming is just unsustainable, unless you aggressively cull (which means you won't get much in the way of eggs from it). They will eat paste, but only if it's the only thing available. I cba to run the numbers but I suspect it's definitely less efficient than just growing hay unless you factor in time, but then again pawns can eat paste if necessary too but the converse isn't true for hay.

HiroProtagonist posted:

update from chicken farming blog ca. today: it's true.

Unless I set a huge area for them to graze, the fuckers eat more hay (let alone kibble) than they give back. IF I set a huge grazing area, inevitably the young get winnowed out anyway by the random predator, or increasingly lately, raids. back to back tribal, android then mechanoid drops and it takes the entire herd so long to collapse back into the barn I set up when they have to range so widely.

bout to slaughter the whole herd and keep my rooster+hen and male drake+female duck to just produce adult chickens and ducks for slaughter and say gently caress the egg industry.

least they were "free range" eggs.

eta: I had an entire hydroponics and a full 8x13 hayfield (which took several colonists to sow and harvest over the better part of a quadrum each time) and they still were verging on starvation by the end of a quadrum unless I let them roam my "grazing range" (which at this point was a good one third of the map on a temperate forest biome).

HiroProtagonist posted:

It's a pain in the rear end to collect eggs from close to half the map since they all get automatically marked as forbidden being outside my home area

For breeding purposes I have my cooking bills (and hence stockpiles and storage) set up to not use fertilized eggs, so the two breeding pairs get sequestered in the coop (and whilst culling the male chicks) and the rest either get 'free roam' or end up eating double nutrition value of the eggs in hay

It's basically the opposite of how chicken farming actually works

Edit: wish I had saved a screenshot but if you ever wanted to sigh in annoyance imagine seeing a notification that sixteen+ hens and chicks were suffering from starvation after I threw my hands up and devcheated in about 1k hay after they picked an entire grassy area within my defensive perimeter down to the dirt, all within a single quadrum.

That's by themselves too, I have smallish herds (about 6-8 each) of alpacas and sheep that I let have basically free roam since I'm past caring about wool and just cull them for the meat periodically. Chickens, ducks and other fowl just eat way more often than their nutrition stats indicate

In terms of real, easy to understand impact, just let me put it this way--I went from having 4x fine and 2-3x lavish meals in stock for every colonist before I started my chicken farm experiment, to basically having subsistence farming and simple meals almost every day except for holyshitwemightstarvebeforeharvest occasions when it was time to figure out how we could get at least 8 meat out of the 4 baby male chicks that just hatched or else everyone is going to eat pemmican for the next quadrum.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 29, 2020

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

is there a mod to make grow zones look nicer? like lil tilled fields or something?

There are certainly mods that add tilled field tiles you can plop down under your grow zones, and they increase the grow speed to boot.

Rimworld Farming is one. Though in this one the tilled soil tiles seem to be able to get dirty as they function like floors and not dirt tiles.

Tilled Soil is another, with a number of versions at various fertility boosting levels.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Calipark posted:

Mind if I ask for your mod list?

My mod list is stupidly large but here are all of the major/content-driven mods I use. My main goal is to give myself tons of different things to do/work toward so every colony can be a bit different. Caveat: I really play this game to make up my own stories as I go along and often use dev tools to add both triumph and tragedy to the colony. A lot of these mods will make your colony much stronger, to the point where running this many reaaaaally breaks the intended balance of the game - threats become enormous but so does your ability to respond to them

For additional content:
Android Tiers - my favorite mod on this list and imo should be a baseline feature. Adds mechanical colonists that run the gamut from rinky-dink chump bots to archotech dieties, lets you digitize' colonist consciousnesses and then upload them into androids, lots of upgrade options, a solid way overall to make your colonists overpowered.
Android Tiers Tx series - adds a second whole classification of androids which allows you to build Terminators (skin-on or skin-off) that are a slight upgrade over regular androids but mostly something I use for variety
Rimatomics - Nuclear reactors and high-level energy weapons, I don't really build this stuff much because it's a lot of work and usually by the time I'm ready, I'm moving on to a new colony
Rimefeller - Oil-based energy production and large-scale creation of some rare resources, like Plasteel, Chemfuel, Synthread, Hyperweave, etc.
Dubs Bad Hygiene - Adds sewage and water, toilets, bathing, swimming pools, etc. As well as a basic Central AC system that's much less of a hassle (and more overpowered) than Central Climate Control or whatever
Extended Prosthetics and Organ Engineering - Lots of new prothetics
RimFridge - can't live without it
Questionable Ethics Enhanced - adds cloning, brain-scans, replicating consciousness, nerve stapling for instant recruiting, vat-grown organ replacements, lets you be a saturday morning cartoon villain
Prisoner Harvesting - to go with the above
Selling Prisoners with No Guilt - same
BioReactors - another thing to do with prisoners or large animals - suspend them in gel and nutrient paste and sap energy from their body
RimWorld of Magic - I am not a big fan of this but I haven't really taken the time to dive into it, I don't generally like managing the wizards and don't find wizardry to be a particularly great fit for the universe, but it spices up enemies and recruits so :shrug:
CyberFauna - to make cyborg animals
Hospitality - adds a whole new hotel management layer to the game
Quarry 1.1 - a bit overpowered but I like quarries because they're A) constant, indefinite jobs, B) a good source of stone chunks, and C) can be tweaked to give you whatever rare resources you want occasionally
Alpha Animals - adds gigantic hulking super-animals to either smash your walls, feed you for months, sacrifice your tamers against, and maybe even genetically experiment on
Misc Robots - because I don't want to live without hauler and cleaner bots
Stack XXL - Totally optional but I hate playing stockpile manager so I use this along with the below mods to remove the need, all of my stack sizes are 12x vanilla
LWM's Deep Storage - adds multi-stacking storage containers
[JDS] Simply Storage - adds more variety in the multi-stacking storage containers like piles of crates, military crates, gigantic shipping containers that can hold literally 1000s of stacks in a 3x4 building
Pawnmorpher - lets you mutate people into chaotic animal hybrids and adds a lot of new buildings and recipes to tweak your genetic manipulation in various ways
Genetic Rim - lets you crossbreed animals at a genetic level so you can have thrumbochickens or wolfbears or whatever
Replimat - a high tech solution to food; dump all of your food products into hoppers that transform it into feed stock that's stored in tanks, then dispensed as any meal the imbiber wants (so basically whatever you assign them to). It removes the need to cook anything but drugs entirely but doesn't get up and running until you get a quest-reward or trader-only item and some high end research.
Glittertech - adds some really stupidly strong vanilla-fitting weapons, techs, and raiders

For more variety:
More Vanilla Turrets - because using the same turrets all the time gets boring
Vanilla Weapons Expanded, Vanilla Armour Expanded, Vanilla Furniture Expanded (all varieties) - for more variety, Apparello sometimes for the same reason
More Furniture, Gloomy Furniture - for variety
Simply More Bridges, Reinforced Walls - building-related variety
Ceiling Lights - Vanilla Edition - (or non-vanilla version, where they use less power and are brighter)
Farmable Neutroamine - because I don't always want to set up oil to make Neutroamine
Archotech+ - adds four new implants (regen, insulation, subdermal armor and uhh I forget the fourth) to add more variety/power to colonists.
[T] MoreFloors - for more floors
Vanilla Fishing Expanded - an additional way to get animal product food
Let's Trade! - adds 25 new varieties of trade ships, from orbital factories to stellar miners to masonry suppliers
Gemstones - colorful/valuable rare rock types
Utility Columns - This adds new buildings that are combo buildings; they're a column (holds up roof) that has one of three different functions; light+trade beacon, light+strong freezing power, growing light+heat
Jewelry - really just for an additional thing to craft and sell
Cupro's Stones - for more stone variety

Cosmetic/Immersion/Whatever
Gunplay - makes firefights look a lot more exciting and be deadlier faster
Yayo's Combat 3 - adds a bunch of goofy animations to fights like spinning up minigun barrels, twirling guns on your finger, etc. Vanilla combat looks so boring after getting used to this, which makes it look a lot more kinetic and frantic
Single Plant Texture - switches up all of your plants to be 1 plant per 1 tile (visually) instead of messy patches like vanilla rice
Tilled Soil - it's worse than Rich Soil but makes your farms look nice
Dub's Paint Shop - lets you recolor almost anything (walls/floors/doors/furniture)

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Since you use Pawnmorpher, can you give me a detailed rundown of it? I tried playing with it but all it seemed to do was turn my people into genetic freaks, when all I wanted to do was get some modifications that didn't make them horrendous looking.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

That said I've been looking for a mod that lets animals walk up to and use the nutrient paste dispenser and it doesn't seem like there is one.

I've seen a few that add nutrient paste to different work stations (biofuel refinery and normal stove), been considering getting the refinery add one..

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

TalonDemonKing posted:

Since you use Pawnmorpher, can you give me a detailed rundown of it? I tried playing with it but all it seemed to do was turn my people into genetic freaks, when all I wanted to do was get some modifications that didn't make them horrendous looking.

Sure, I haven't been using it for too terribly long so I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing:

To start with there are two different ways to get pawnmorpher's main material, Mechanite Slurry - the first is an ore called Mutanite (which drops just one ore for every tile mined and is worth a lot of silver) and converts to Slurry 1:1 (never do this! I'll explain why later), the second is a plant called Chaobulb (you harvest ~3 per tile every ~6 days) that converts at a rate of 5:1 to slurry. You need Slurry for everything else related to the mod so you start off by researching Mutagen Extraction and Mutagenic Plants and getting a garden going.

After that research Serum Synthesis to build a Mutagen Lab, the main workbench for Pawnmorpher. Personally I build the lab, set up two one-tile fridges next to it and set one to store Chaobulb Seeds while the other stores Slurry.

The next step is researching Targeted Serums which lets you craft the Slurry into injections that will make someone start mutating into an animal within a certain category. The categories are...

• Climate-based: Arid, Cold, Temperate, Tropical. These will choose a random single animal that fits in that climate and begin morphing the pawn into that animal type. (So an example of a theme-based Pawnmorpher colony: Start somewhere cold and start with a Mutaserum, Cold for each colonist.)
  • Work-based: Social, Crafting, Combat, Production: These start mutating the pawn into an animal that excels at the categorized task, for example Crafting may turn them into a very dexterous monkey that gets big manipulation bonuses. Production means they produce things like wool, eggs, or milk, which is a really freakish and horrendous thought and in fact those pawns think so as well. Except for when they don't and they fall in love with laying eggs, and become addicted to laying eggs. Combat will give you wolves or whatnot, Social will give you things like foxes.
  • Species-based: Avian, Domestic, Bovid, Canid, Feline, Rodent, Reptilian - these are self-explanatory
  • And finally there's Mutaserum, Powerful which gives big scary animals like bears, or even in rare cases, thrumbos.

There's an optional research you can do next called Powerful Serums; without Powerful Serums your pawns will only mutate into small/human sized animals, Powerful Serums ups the ante and allows your pawns to get the larger animal types.

After Targeted Serums you can research Injectors, which lets you mutate someone into a very specific animal. After this is when things get more Cronenbergian.

Research branches off a bit and you have a few options but you can now research Chambers which is when the mod gets really fun imo. Chambers are like cryosleep beds that you stick a pawn in (either willingly or forcefully) and they're subjected to random chaotic mutation - there are three different 'paths' here: Chaocow, Chaodino, and Chaofox. The chao in this case meaning chaotic - they won't straight up become one of those three classifications, they'll have a random mixture of all kinds of grotesque features, slanted toward that type. While they're in the chamber you can click on it to see a percentage representing progress, that's what percentage of their genome has been mutated. You can pull them out whenever you want - lower percentages for slower mutations that don't get out of control, higher or even 100% to completely swap the genome up. This has a small chance (20% by default I think?) to turn them into a straight up animal but I've never actually seen that happen (I lowered it to 10%).

You don't get to pick which of those paths they get until you research Chamber Modulation and build a mutagenic modulator. There's also Advanced Chambers to create 2x2 chambers and special modulators for them that can create large animal types out of those chao-classes.

But how do you control mutations?
Through Mutapills which you can research right after Serum Synthesis. There are pills for all kinds of things, Stabilization makes mutations stop for 5 days (if you give someone a serum or injection you will probably have to put them on a 1-every-5-days regimen eventually or risk them becoming an animal), boosters that make mutations happen faster, reversion serums that remove all mutations and give temporary long-lasting mutation immunity, etc.

Mutagenic Weapons
You can make mutagenic weapons that add mutations on hit. These require Mutanite which is the very expensive/rare ore I mentioned earlier. By late in the research tree you can research Mutagen Centrifuging which lets you make incredibly lossy conversions of other Pawnmorpher materials (chaobulb seeds, slurry, mutant milk/eggs) into Mutanite but it's the only consistent way. How lossy? It's 10 slurry or 40 Chaobulb for 1 Mutanite. So, if you do find mutanite, do not turn it into slurry!

Why mutate things?
It's a fun game of genetic slots, most mutations are beneficial and add some spice and variety to your colonists, like the nimble monkey with great manipulation stats, the thick-skinned melee rhino-man, etc. The Chao- mutations that give random parts from random beasts is a truly terrifying way to run a colony and I fully support it in my cartoon villain runs. You can inject prisoners with mutagens then release them immediately and imagine what kind of horrible thing you've unleashed on their town. You can use it to roll the dice on otherwise useless pawns and give them an attempt at salvation through getting some super-fast Hare legs and a bear's jaw that lets them hop onto enemies and bite. You can also get sapient animals who chill in your base, provide social support, play pool, watch TV, haul and clean as an intelligent pawn but can't do normal work.

Is the mod worth using?
If you like random chance and weird abomination colonists it adds something to do for those times when your colony is otherwise really dull, it does provide some (hard to control) benefits, but it's not a game-changer. It's a decent way to make money since each serum sells for ~25-35 silver and the weapons are fun.

ShadowHawk posted:

The Replimat mod has animal replimat terminals that turn your food gel into kibble automatically that your animals eat. It does sort of completely eliminate the entire cooking game but it's an appropriately mid/late game tech that needs a rare ~3000 value item you can't craft yourself

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 29, 2020

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

This is good information, thanks mate

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
For chicken management the secret is your freezer. Get a stable population you want with normal means. I add a rooster or two to keep expansion possible. Then when you have them where you want them restrict them to your freezer and feed them whatever way works best under your base configuration.

I have the eggs all hauled to refrigerators in my kitchen and have a second set of lavish meal work orders at the top of the list restricted to eggs only as protein. Eggs will freeze in the freezer or fridge, then get used up first as a meat substitute stretching or replacing the supply of hunted/butchered meat depending on amounts and work flow. Probably not spreadsheet maximised on nutrition percentages or something but I don't care. It's a mid-to-late game project for me to make meal protein automated, not something I rush towards.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

one thing with pawnmorpher is it conflicts slightly with android tiers. if you don't ahve android tiers installed your colonists whove turned into animals will appear on the colonist bar at the top and you can assign them work stuff in the work menu. if you have android tiers they won't, but they will still do work and you can still draft and order them about like a regular colonist. it's a minor incompatibility, not like a crash bug or anything, but its a little harder to keep track of colonists you've fully morphed.

another feature of the mutation chambers is there's a tagging rifle you can make, its a dart gun that does 1 damage but adds whatever you shoot to the list of animals you can convert people into using the mutation chambers. you can even add stuff from genetic rim or alpha animals to that list, so you can have a heinous half mechanoid half thrumbo living artillery piece that you can draft and order around directly.

or you can turn prisoners into those slimes full of limbs from alpha animals and farm them for organ transplants

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah in vanilla the way I always handled chickens was to get them about where I felt like I needed them to be population wise, then assign them to a field that’s close to my freezer. Set up priority hauling inside the freezer so that eggs are hauled before anything else and presto - no more chickens. Any time you want more chickens you can just turn off the hauling zone that prioritizes eggs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how do i get my tech level to spacer? do i really have to research everything in the tree to get it?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jose posted:

how do i get my tech level to spacer? do i really have to research everything in the tree to get it?

You don't. Your tech level doesn't ever change in vanilla.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it's essentially a difficulty setting for research you set in the scenario.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I think you can change the tech level to whatever you want at the start of the game but it's just a modifier for how quickly research goes. Tribal tech is like 80% research speed, whatever the normal tier is just 100% speed, and spacer is like 120%. All the same techs are available it just takes longer or shorter to unlock them.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
There is a mod that lets you upgrade your tech level based around tree completion, but I'm not using it and can't remember the name

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Crimson Harvest posted:

There is a mod that lets you upgrade your tech level based around tree completion, but I'm not using it and can't remember the name

Tech advancing. If you research all of the research in a tier, you'll go up a tier. If you research half the things a tier above you, you'll go up to that tier. IIRC you can adjust the percentage on that last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

deep dish peat moss posted:

My mod list is stupidly large but here are all of the major/content-driven mods I use...

Thanks!