Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
i honestly think they should just ban every single card with companion on it because theyre all broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Lone Goat posted:

can't wait for War of the Friend where there's companinos all the way down to uncommon

Companion - All nonland permanents in your deck must have companion

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
i also think they should ban fires of invention and uro and let standard go on until rotation

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I'd much rather see them ban any companions that dominate the meta rather than shotgun printing them until every deck has one.

Sorry, everyone was so upset my the Jacetice league that they're going another angle and making every deck have their favorite lovable companion.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bust Rodd posted:

Play Design have such boring ideas, they’d give us a companion like “every card in your starting deck must have cycling”

1/4 Flying Lifelink

Whenever you cycle a card, draw a card

and stand there, mouths agape, as it becomes the best deck in Modern or somewhat, exactly like with Hogaak.

I don't think they're shocked by it per se.

Mission Briefing, Assassin's Trophy, Lavinia, Azorious Renegade, Teferi, Time Raveler, Veil of Summer, Oko, Once Upon A Time, Emry, Uro, Kroxa, Underworld Breach, and now the companions, General Kudro, and Sprite Dragon.

Them flipping eternal formats end over end so often might not be incompetence, but a deliberate effort to flip over every format end over end to move product. This wild power level is on purpose,

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'm pretty sure they've come out on record saying that they've been deliberately pushing the power level of the sets higher because apparently it was a pretty common complaint that several sets in a row would release and it would have little to no effect on eternal formats.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the time period from DTK to Ixalan or so was loving dire in terms of design, and part of that was super low power level, but a lot of it was just... bad design (Kaladesh was not a very low power set). Things have been much better designed lately—the Titans are genuinely cool cards—but the numbers have all been twiddled such that the power levels are insane. Nobody would have complained about Veil at 1G, Oko at 2UG with a +1/-1 to Food/Elk, or Uro flashing back for 2UUGG and eight cards. If Lurrus cost WWB, Gyruda cost 3UUBB and Keruga cost 3UUG I think we’d all be a lot happier about them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Not being able to play Gyruda in a deck with Gyruda as a companion definitely would have put a damper on it, yes.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
4uubb then, christ.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

berenzen posted:

I'm pretty sure they've come out on record saying that they've been deliberately pushing the power level of the sets higher because apparently it was a pretty common complaint that several sets in a row would release and it would have little to no effect on eternal formats.

I did used to complain about it tbh, there was a long string of sets that were very boring after like...DTK

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
That era was more like, two good cards per set, and occasionally one was low-curve instead of an unbeatable midrange haymaker.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

that era began with DTK, a set with two interesting cards and no interesting mechanics, and ended with ixalan, a set with two interesting mechanics and no interesting cards

imagine an era where, like, grim flayer was a standard staple and chase mythic. makes my skin crawl to think about it

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Grim Flayer enabled Ishkanah and Emrakul E.N.D., the unbeatable midrange haymakers. :shrug:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Hostage taker and the "you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell" text were the only interesting thing in ix block.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

can't believe they keep making cards for commander vintage legacy modern pioneer standard

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Lone Goat posted:

can't believe they keep making cards for commander vintage legacy modern pioneer standard

yeah they keep ruining these perfectly reasonable limited formats! [cycles my entire deck for 1 generic mana]

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Bugsy posted:

Hostage taker and the "you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell" text were the only interesting thing in ix block.

Azcanta?
Adanto vanguard
Legions Landing
Settle the Wreckage
Chart a course
Dive down
Entrancing Melody
Opt
Freebooter (modern?)
Vraska’s contempt
Lighting strike
Carnage tyrant
Branchwalker
Rip jaw raptor
Wildgrowth Walker
Hostage taker
Spyglass
Treasure map

These were all standard staples at some point and these are just from the first set

Edit: Rivals

Skymarcher Aspirant
Curious obsession
Duaklegion Zealot
Moment of craving
Chupacabra
Fanatical Firebrand
Rekindling Phoenix

Tainen fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 29, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think they're correct to not design for eternal formats for the most part. Cards like Show and Tell or Primeval Titan were not designed with 2020 Legacy or Modern in mind, the decks that are built around them arose from cards designed for many different standard formats. I think it's much more interesting for decks to arise organically and I actually think heavily pushing cards that didn't have a place in a standard format is boring and bad (looking at you Modern Horizons).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i feel like the majority of times that people suggest they should design cards with eternal formats in mind what they really want is for no new cards to be printed that have any chance of shaking up/bringing any change to those formats

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

flatluigi posted:

i feel like the majority of times that people suggest they should design cards with eternal formats in mind what they really want is for no new cards to be printed that have any chance of shaking up/bringing any change to those formats

No, this is a disingenuous reading. What they want is new, powerful cards to be printed that shake up the format and fit into decks they already own.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tainen posted:

Azcanta?
Adanto vanguard
Legions Landing
Settle the Wreckage
Chart a course
Dive down
Entrancing Melody
Opt
Freebooter (modern?)
Vraska’s contempt
Lighting strike
Carnage tyrant
Branchwalker
Rip jaw raptor
Wildgrowth Walker
Hostage taker
Spyglass
Treasure map

These were all standard staples at some point and these are just from the first set

Edit: Rivals

Skymarcher Aspirant
Curious obsession
Duaklegion Zealot
Moment of craving
Chupacabra
Fanatical Firebrand
Rekindling Phoenix

The dude asks for interesting card designs and you give him a list with chupacabra, lightning strike,vraskas contempt and opt on it

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

mandatory lesbian posted:

The dude asks for interesting card designs and you give him a list with chupacabra, lightning strike,vraskas contempt and opt on it

Lol. Good excuse to re-watch this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=356ilzFF8BE

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jabor posted:

Not being able to play Gyruda in a deck with Gyruda as a companion definitely would have put a damper on it, yes.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

4uubb then, christ.

Lurrus is exuded by its own rule, and Gyruda makes hay from hitting other copies of itself. But I'm not sure if Jabor has misunderstood the rule or OFS misread their tone, so easy to see how this happens.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Lurrus should have cost 2 so the game would be irrevocably hosed imo.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

restriction: every creature card in your deck must be from Innistrad block
payoff: 2 mana 3/2 hexproof flyer with “at the start of your upkeep scry 3”

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Them flipping eternal formats end over end so often might not be incompetence, but a deliberate effort to flip over every format end over end to move product. This wild power level is on purpose,

Let me introduce you to a little card game called “YuGiOh!”

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Star Man posted:

I don't like the idea of companions because outside of digital spaces, it's on you to make sure that your opponent is following the deck restrictions on it. It's not very hard to verify morph creatures after the game is over, but it's another thing to verify that someone's maindeck is in compliance, and you're going to miss one eventually.

What advantage would they hope to gain by playing an illegal deck?

People can get an advantage by playing 6 lightning bolts. They don't get anything for putting an odd card in an even deck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
We had the dreaded low power level standard format in IX/RIX/DOM/19/GRN and it was really good.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 29, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Please don’t disrespect my best and good friend, Carnage Tyrant, in this trying time.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

that's a p good vid

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

haha I love that video so much and basically nothing has changed, no lesson has been learned!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I might be seeing what I want to see given the part about people being nostalgic about them in ten years, but MaRo seems to concede that companion as implemented is a little busted here:

Part of what makes Magic Magic is that we push boundaries and experiment and try new things. Part of doing that is sometimes things end up stronger than you anticipate.,Trist me in ten years players will be mad about the latest thing and nostalgic about companions.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
That's a good video and I like his perspective on risky value cards. Did ravenous chupacabra actually do anything in standard? I don't play standard..

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sinteres posted:

I might be seeing what I want to see given the part about people being nostalgic about them in ten years, but MaRo seems to concede that companion as implemented is a little busted here:

Part of what makes Magic Magic is that we push boundaries and experiment and try new things. Part of doing that is sometimes things end up stronger than you anticipate.,Trist me in ten years players will be mad about the latest thing and nostalgic about companions.

People are always mad when we gently caress up, but later on they will focus on how hard we have hosed up recently and time will have softened the memory of our past fuckups, so we will continue loving up and not learning anything.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ilmucche posted:

That's a good video and I like his perspective on risky value cards. Did ravenous chupacabra actually do anything in standard? I don't play standard..

It rotated quite a bit ago, but just as they predicted it was highly constructed playable as doomblade taped to a body in a format where you could recur bodies out of the yard with an invincible value engine.

I also liked their commentary on that dinosaur being a neat bit of play tension even if they didn't love it. One of my favorite RIX draft games was when my opponent was marking up creatures with it and I was obligingly like "oh, hey I have these neat die-cut skull tokens I'll put on them to mark it" all the while with a Hornswoggle in my grip being sure to hold it up the turn he could try to resolve it...

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

ilmucche posted:

I do not remember it destroying that format
that job was up to the Scarab God

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The backup callout on the azcanta/second sun was mostly accurate.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ilmucche posted:

It was heavily played for a few sets but was basically unplayable after WAR. Turns out "kill a creature" isn't actually that broad an effect when there's an all planeswalker set. I don't think that video has aged very well because there are a ton of ways to mitigate the value of "kill a creature" and I had to play it as a 2/2 quite often.

We're so far past that point that now the most popular 4 mana creature in standard gains 3 life, draws a card, and creates a 6/6, gains 3 life and draws a card on attack and is recastable, so maybe thats why the video looks quaint now.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 29, 2020

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i mean the core point of the video is still true, though, and mutate is kind of casting it into sharp relief, because mutate is the ultimate "baneslayer" style mechanic-- invest mana, hope you untap with it.
what creatures get played? creatures that are small and aggressive enough to sneak in under removal (knight of the ebon legion, mono red's various beaters, brineborn cutthroat), creatures that have an ETB effect (uro), creatures with haste (questing beast, kenrith and red cavalier), creatures that trade well against removal (anax), and two categories he couldn't foresee: adventure creatures (you already got value from them) and companions (creatures you don't even have to put in your deck). the apexes are super cool! but nobody's playing with them, for good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

So shouldn't we be complaining about the 4 mana board wipes that make high commitment creatures unplayable?