Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

This dude lives by me and could probably answer all your questions

He had a message to the aliens painted on the roof of the barn at one time

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
This guy probably owns get him an account ASAP

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Talk about late, anyone who has played any Xcom game already knew this.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Tarkus posted:

I've been watching youtube videos of recent sightings for the last few months as they pop up. In 99% of cases I look at it and can basically identify the supposed UFO. Usually it's a drone, a party balloon, a satellite, a cloud formation or a plane. I've seen a couple that have made me go 'hmmm' but nothing really stands out as Wow!

I so desperately want UFO's to be real but I'm of the inclination that they are not. I'd like to believe some people but you would think there would be some better evidence.

Did you watch the videos that the pentagon just (re)released? They're guncam footage from F-18s. Aliens, maybe not, but something weird is out there and the military either doesn't know what it is or is pretending very hard that that's the case.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

If aliens arrived, we’d probably all be either eradicated, enslaved or if we were lucky, given access to technology that let us travel the galaxy. Probably the former though. Just imagine what we would do to aliens if we found them on another planet.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dr.Caligari posted:

This dude lives by me and could probably answer all your questions

He had a message to the aliens painted on the roof of the barn at one time

This owns and I want to go to the gallery

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Log082 posted:

Did you watch the videos that the pentagon just (re)released? They're guncam footage from F-18s. Aliens, maybe not, but something weird is out there and the military either doesn't know what it is or is pretending very hard that that's the case.

I don't know if you've looked at it in the last forty or fifty years but our military is stupid as poo poo.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pawn 17 posted:

If aliens arrived, we’d probably all be either eradicated, enslaved or if we were lucky, given access to technology that let us travel the galaxy. Probably the former though. Just imagine what we would do to aliens if we found them on another planet.

Yeah people have all these fantasy ideas about what the aliens would teach us if they ever visited our earth but the fact of the matter is they would only have one lesson for the human race "Meat is meat"

naem
May 29, 2011

Pawn 17 posted:

are we the baddies dot gif

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

This owns and I want to go to the gallery

He is also a chainsaw artist, author and a songwriter! That gallery is really just an old barn you beep the horn or ring a bell to get someone to come out of the house to help you out. He’s an interesting guy and that one stop will give you a genuine feeling of the area. No joke. Last year we had a middle school close due to radiation readings. The whole area is strange in numerous ways. To keep it on topic , we have A good amount of ufo sightings and crop circles in this area.

“Log082" posted:

I got super high and thought that video. I wonder if there is any chance they know exactly what this is and are framing it like they are lost. Maybe as an underhanded way to flex on another country by showing they had it locked on ?

I just can’t imagine the military would release footage of something they have no idea of what it is.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 29, 2020

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Pawn 17 posted:

just look at human history and how technologically advanced cultures interacted with 'new world' peoples. the very last thing anyone would, or should, do is give us advanced technology.

except for space weed. im totally down for space weed.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Double post.

Here is more information on the local crop circle that was pretty thrilling when it happened. I would love an explanation of how this came to be. Other local crop circles have been really bad

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Well, I liked that at the end of the article it mentions that "exquisite geometry" was found in the pattern that amounts to "circles"

Circles like if someone put a stake in the ground and tied a rope to it, walked to the end of the rope, and then walked around the stake to make a circle with it.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Log082 posted:

While I have seen those videos I still don't know what to think. I guess former senator Harry Reid tweeted that the information given only scratches the surface and should be released for scientific perusal. That is interesting.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Big Beef City posted:

Circles like if someone put a stake in the ground and tied a rope to it, walked to the end of the rope, and then walked around the stake to make a circle with it.

Except the ones those two guys in England made sucked rear end compared to the “real” ones of which there are many

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

Tarkus posted:

While I have seen those videos I still don't know what to think. I guess former senator Harry Reid tweeted that the information given only scratches the surface and should be released for scientific perusal. That is interesting.

Must be a new Men in Black movie coming out.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tarkus posted:

Why wouldn't he just state the information that he has?

Now...why would a guy who's gone on record to state that "I personally don’t know if there exists little green men other places, I kind of doubt that", would want to convince the government to spend money on something like this?
Could it be that he found a way to get money from the Government himself out of such a scheme?

The guy who in 2007 got 22 million dollars for the same thing? The guy who also says "“We spent a lot of money" and calls it "“one of the easiest sells I ever had to make.”? Weird. I wonder what his motivation for that might be.

I wonder, given all that money and time spent, and his own trips to Area 51, what he's found out there:
“Oh sure, I’ve been to Area 51. I know Area 51. I don’t know if I should say many times, but lots and lots of times. I know Area 51 quite well, I know what they’ve done there,” said Reid. “I don’t know in recent years, of course, but I know what went on there.”

That since he does know what went on, and they already spent that money, why they'd need MORE money, and why he couldn't just say what the first study found, and what he knows now, instead of, you know, asking for more money now. I just wonder why that might be.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Sure, it has been proven that people with simple tools who are really into druids and barrows and poo poo can easily make crop circles, but some are so elaborate they must be made from space monsters from beyond the moon.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Except the ones those two guys in England made sucked rear end compared to the “real” ones of which there are many

You mean two random snaggle-toothed dipshits couldn't make good ones their first try? Shocker!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Who What Now posted:

You mean two random snaggle-toothed dipshits couldn't make good ones their first try? Shocker!

Are you so credulous to believe they actually made the other ones?

Anyone who’s actually curious should compare what they are confirmed to have done vs what they claimed credit for without evidence (and couldn’t replicate)

Not that it matters because aliens are real!!! :hehe: eat it

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I know we're all Ur-nerds here. Ever listen to The Ensign's Log? It's a comedy podcast set aboard the original series of Star Trek. Just two idiot ensigns getting up to whatever. Well I just heard an episode where the Enterprise accidentally travels to the 1960s, accidentally abducts some military personnel, etc.

Well, the ensigns decide to interview a man from the 20th century. He refuses to believe they're human, they must be aliens in disguise, waiting to sodomize him. He rips his clothes off and begs to be probed.

That's all y'all.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

Well, I liked that at the end of the article it mentions that "exquisite geometry" was found in the pattern that amounts to "circles"

This one I was thinking of originally , it’s a bit more impressive , but still circles. These are likely not made by beings from outer space, but certainly out of town, which would make sense since we are rather remote but still within driving distance of people that have the knowledge, patience and a ‘gently caress these crops’ attitude.

This is what local idiots attempts tend to look like:

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 29, 2020

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dr.Caligari posted:

This one I was thinking of originally , it’s a bit more impressive , but still circles. These are likely not made by beings from outer space, but certainly out of town, which would make sense since we are rather remote but still within driving distance of people that have the knowledge, patience and a ‘gently caress these crops’ attitude.

Right, the one you like in the article you link and several others I found on it specifically state that "UFO-ologists" and "cerealogists" (lol) were allowed to look at it, but reporters and other credentialed people who came to the site were told they could not enter the area by the land owner.
Wonder why.

If you're gonna get someone from out of town to do it, at least have them do it well:

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 29, 2020

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The “aliens aren’t real” folks are really weirdly aggressive about it imo

If they think they’re right why do they get so uptight about people believing in alleged bullshit? They put a lot of effort into trying to get people to change their minds but they’re so overwhelmed that it just degrades into ad hominem insults, every time

Almost as if they’re unable to support their flawed narrative rationally

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It can’t be about wanting people to be well informed because this is literally the least consequential thing anyone on earth could have an opinion about and there are a million more important things for people to care about and try to convince others to share their point of view

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

sounds like you've put a lot of effort into developing an opinion on how you feel about others judging you

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

A small percentage of UFO cases are inexplicable and really cool to think about, especially some of these recent things released by the Pentagon. The problem is when you make the jump straight to aliens over cases or phenomena that have been thoroughly debunked, such as crop circles.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

Dr.Caligari posted:

This is what local idiots attempts tend to look like:

That was clearly made by some poor young alien in space drivers ed and you're being harsh.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Dr.Caligari posted:

Double post.

Here is more information on the local crop circle that was pretty thrilling when it happened. I would love an explanation of how this came to be. Other local crop circles have been really bad

That alien DualShock controller looks dope.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
gently caress you aliens :flip:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Big Beef City posted:

sounds like you've put a lot of effort into developing an opinion on how you feel about others judging you

You are a very bad poster on purpose

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Big Beef City posted:

Why wouldn't he just state the information that he has?

Now...why would a guy who's gone on record to state that "I personally don’t know if there exists little green men other places, I kind of doubt that", would want to convince the government to spend money on something like this?
Could it be that he found a way to get money from the Government himself out of such a scheme?

The guy who in 2007 got 22 million dollars for the same thing? The guy who also says "“We spent a lot of money" and calls it "“one of the easiest sells I ever had to make.”? Weird. I wonder what his motivation for that might be.

I wonder, given all that money and time spent, and his own trips to Area 51, what he's found out there:
“Oh sure, I’ve been to Area 51. I know Area 51. I don’t know if I should say many times, but lots and lots of times. I know Area 51 quite well, I know what they’ve done there,” said Reid. “I don’t know in recent years, of course, but I know what went on there.”

That since he does know what went on, and they already spent that money, why they'd need MORE money, and why he couldn't just say what the first study found, and what he knows now, instead of, you know, asking for more money now. I just wonder why that might be.

I don't know anything about Harry Reid aside from the fact that he's a former senator. He could very well have a profit motive, who knows.

You seem a little upset about this stuff tho.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

They aren't aliens you idiot, it's machine elves from 69th dimension.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If we ever found some bumfuck primitive alien race making bronze tools and painting caves we would probably not try to contact them and only study them from a distance. Like, we have "uncontacted" tribes here on earth and we try to keep away from them cause all we can offer them is death by disease, diabetes and alcoholism.

Well, now that I think about it, some countries would probably totally try contact them and build a Disney park on their planet as a business opportunity. But the decent countries like Sweden or Finland wouldn't. And I would like to image that everything will be more like Finland in the future.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That implies a very authoritarian government that has 100% control over the population, maybe even bordering on a straight up hivemind. It takes one idiot on a flying saucer to do a first contact, hell it takes one idiot with a radio transmitter sending a signal on any frequency we already use to make it known.

Even if you consider Earth's distant tribes like Sentinel islands people or the people in Amazon rainforest, the reason we know about them is because they were contacted or otherwise hosed with by others.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Aliens are probably hideous monsters so Finns would try to gently caress them. And also try to learn that crazy bronze technology

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I think if you are going to believe in aliens you should go further to crazy town and just say that they are spiritual manifestations or something. A technological society would be far too easy to discover even with our limited technology and we have a pretty good idea about just how impossible any long distance interstellar travel really is, short of magic or something.

So go whole hog and say it's magic. Ancient people were all talking about flying dragons and demons and gods and poo poo, who's to say UFOs aren't caused by whatever made some peasant see crazy poo poo back then but updated with trappings of modern technological lifestyle.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

That implies a very authoritarian government that has 100% control over the population, maybe even bordering on a straight up hivemind. It takes one idiot on a flying saucer to do a first contact, hell it takes one idiot with a radio transmitter sending a signal on any frequency we already use to make it known.

Even if you consider Earth's distant tribes like Sentinel islands people or the people in Amazon rainforest, the reason we know about them is because they were contacted or otherwise hosed with by others.

I mean, a society where some random drunken idiot has access to an interstellar space ship can't exist for very long. You point that thing in the wrong direction while you were texting and you cause total extinction of all life on the planet. The energies involved are just insane.

Either we get our poo poo together as a society by then or restrict access to space craft/high energy devices to states or we go extinct soon anyway. In either case, nobody tries to gently caress a space cave rock monster.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

GABA ghoul posted:

I mean, a society where some random drunken idiot has access to an interstellar space ship can't exist for very long. You point that thing in the wrong direction while you were texting and you cause total extinction of all life on the planet. The energies involved are just insane.

Either we get our poo poo together as a society by then or restrict access to space craft/high energy devices to states or we go extinct soon anyway. In either case, nobody tries to gently caress a space cave rock monster.

I'm with you on that, but I don't think anyone could meaningfully restrict access to radio in such an advanced society. Sure there may be other ways to easily communicate at long distance but at that point we are heading straight into magical territory of FTL travel and teleportation.

All it takes is one very stoned alien sending a "Hi humans" towards us and we'd catch it pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

I think if you are going to believe in aliens you should go further to crazy town and just say that they are spiritual manifestations or something. A technological society would be far too easy to discover even with our limited technology and we have a pretty good idea about just how impossible any long distance interstellar travel really is, short of magic or something.

So go whole hog and say it's magic. Ancient people were all talking about flying dragons and demons and gods and poo poo, who's to say UFOs aren't caused by whatever made some peasant see crazy poo poo back then but updated with trappings of modern technological lifestyle.

Sure, why not? Aliens are fae, flying saucers are post-industrial will-o'-the-wisps and crop circles are modern-day fairy rings. They probe butts because these days we're sexually insecure and symbolically stealing our fragile hetero masculinity is hilarious.