Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Bitcoin SV Rivals VISA for Transactions Claims Bitcoin Association

quote:

Annual report from Bitcoin SV’s The Bitcoin Association, claims BSV now rivals VISA for transactions per second

The Bitcoin Association, which promotes Bitcoin SV, says the BSV network now rivals credit card processor VISA in terms of transactions per second. It also claims BSV transaction processors (miners) receive “better returns” than on BTC.

In its first annual report, the Bitcoin Association (BA) said the Bitcoin SV scaling test network had “consistently sustained 1,300 transactions per second for a prolonged period, in addition to handling a peak load of 6,400 transactions per second”
https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-sv-rivals-visa-for-transactions-claims-bitcoin-association

This sounds promising. I think one of the things a lot of people miss (or choose to ignore) is that even if you don't believe Bitcoin can work long-term, some other crypto project inevitably will pick up where it leaves off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Vesi posted:

somehow even the austrian economists who normally oppose things like "monetary policy" and "control over economy" don't want chinese heat farm tokens
:wrong:

"I don't believe we shall ever have sound money again before we take the thing out of the hands of government, that is, we can't take it violently out of the hands of government, all we can do is by some sly roundabout way introduce something that they can't stop."

-F.A. Hayek

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
BSV is just Bitcoin with the block size limit increased to 2 gigabytes per block, the reason it can do 1000s of transactions per second is that the blockchain grows in size 1000 times faster than bitcoin.

At that speed, the BSV blockchain grows 288 gigabytes per day, it should be obvious that it is unsustainable

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
someone who believes earnestly that btc wont work but will lay the groundwork for a crypto that will, probably shouldnt be a btc bagholder and be stuck with the ancient pogs that werent innovative enough

edit: the "crypto that will" will probably look more like interac or libra than anything decentralized

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Bitcoin SV Rivals VISA for Transactions Claims Bitcoin Association

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-sv-rivals-visa-for-transactions-claims-bitcoin-association

This sounds promising. I think one of the things a lot of people miss (or choose to ignore) is that even if you don't believe Bitcoin can work long-term, some other crypto project inevitably will pick up where it leaves off.
People don't miss or ignore it, it just was covered a lot during the ICO era and none of them have added anything useful. They always claim that they will solve some problem with bitcoin or another but often never get past the 'how to fix bitcoin?' stage, were shams to get VC money, or have an idea that cannot ever work which were my favorites.

However you are still assuming that it will get fixed in the future. And on top of that you invested in bitcoin, not the other projects. Do you have a diverse crypto portfolio? Pretend I put that crypto investing strategy pic here, I can't find it now.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CampingCarl posted:

People don't miss or ignore it, it just was covered a lot during the ICO era and none of them have added anything useful. They always claim that they will solve some problem with bitcoin or another but often never get past the 'how to fix bitcoin?' stage, were shams to get VC money, or have an idea that cannot ever work which were my favorites.

However you are still assuming that it will get fixed in the future. And on top of that you invested in bitcoin, not the other projects. Do you have a diverse crypto portfolio? Pretend I put that crypto investing strategy pic here, I can't find it now.

I got you man

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Fleetwood Crack posted:

:wrong:

"I don't believe we shall ever have sound money again before we take the thing out of the hands of government, that is, we can't take it violently out of the hands of government, all we can do is by some sly roundabout way introduce something that they can't stop."

-F.A. Hayek

And what are Hayek's views on bitcoin specifically?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Party Boat posted:

And what are Hayek's views on bitcoin specifically?
He died in 1992, so we'll never know for sure. But it stands to reason that he'd appreciate it given his worldview as a student of Mises.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

CampingCarl posted:

And on top of that you invested in bitcoin, not the other projects. Do you have a diverse crypto portfolio? Pretend I put that crypto investing strategy pic here, I can't find it now.
As I said before, I've accepted the risks associated with my meager btc investment.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm aware of when Hayek died, I just wanted you to say that your example of bitcoin support from Austrian school economists was limited to what a guy who died almost three decades ago probably would have thought lol

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
A Bernie Bro in love with the Austrian school? I should give this the time of day :hmmyes:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
We need Toblerone Triangular to don the cape once again, I don't trust anyone else for modern insights into the Austrian school.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Shumagorath posted:

A Bernie Bro in love with the Austrian school? I should give this the time of day :hmmyes:
I know it's difficult when you have no real argument, but please try to refrain from putting words in my mouth. The only school of economics I'm in love with is marxism.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A proof of work ledger is fundamentally wastefull with a communal industry. The ledger is just the ledger when there's communal control, you don't need games to control it. Much of the compromises of Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies are entirely focused on free market problems and (bad) solutions to free market games.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

zedprime posted:

A proof of work ledger is fundamentally wastefull with a communal industry. The ledger is just the ledger when there's communal control, you don't need games to control it.
I'm well aware that we wouldn't need bitcoin in a post-capitalist society. I've said as much in this thread myself. But we're not there yet, nowhere near it. Bitcoin will moon long before capitalism is finished.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you are the sort of Marxist who thinks the actual Marxist trigger point is a few hundred years from now that's ok but don't be surprised when people call you out for an Austrian capitalist obsession with sound currency.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

zedprime posted:

If you are the sort of Marxist who thinks the actual Marxist trigger point is a few hundred years from now that's ok
I believe it will be within our lifetimes, but I wouldn't call that 'soon'. Bitcoin's moment on the other hand is coming soon.

E: Speaking of that:

zedprime posted:

but don't be surprised when people call you out for an Austrian capitalist obsession with sound currency.
Fair enough, but don't be surprised when I clarify my position and the reasons I have for disliking government issued money.

Crypto Cobain fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 29, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If there is a dark age of the Western market based economies coming soon, why cryptocurrency? What is the special part of it that's going to make it the best hedge to set you up to navigate the dark age? Please compare it to a basket of some other apocalypse commodities like metallics, real estate, seed banks, heavy machinery, or hell I'll accept guns as a comparison point.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

zedprime posted:

If there is a dark age of the Western market based economies coming soon, why cryptocurrency? What is the special part of it that's going to make it the best hedge to set you up to navigate the dark age? Please compare it to a basket of some other apocalypse commodities like metallics, real estate, seed banks, heavy machinery, or hell I'll accept guns as a comparison point.
I don't think we're headed for an apocalypse, just a long-term period of inflation of most nation's currencies which will benefit crypto as a hedge against that. Still, I'll indulge you and go with gold as a point of comparison.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
incapable of functioning as a currency high high low

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 29, 2020

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Bitcoin is superior to gold in nearly every way for a 21st century hedge against inflation, and look how well gold has done compared to the dollar:

Khorne posted:

incapable of functioning as a currency high medium low
Instead of looking at just bitcoin when you think about functionality as a currency, compare all crypto to all metallics and realize crypto is entirely capable.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I believe it will be within our lifetimes, but I wouldn't call that 'soon'. Bitcoin's moment on the other hand is coming soon.

E: Speaking of that:

Fair enough, but don't be surprised when I clarify my position and the reasons I have for disliking government issued money.
You keep saying things related to that but never actually clarify how Bitcoin fixes those problems. Bitcoin does not eliminate the fed, it just seeks to exchange one set of central monetary control with another. To be fair to Satoshi that wasn't his intent, but that is what it is.

Also if you are going to claim to have watched Bitcoin for years you should know posting price charts is meaningless. Especially to attempt to claim the moon is coming, this time for sure!

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

CampingCarl posted:

You keep saying things related to that but never actually clarify how Bitcoin fixes those problems. Bitcoin does not eliminate the fed, it just seeks to exchange one set of central monetary control with another. To be fair to Satoshi that wasn't his intent, but that is what it is.

Also if you are going to claim to have watched Bitcoin for years you should know posting price charts is meaningless. Especially to attempt to claim the moon is coming, this time for sure!
First of all moon is relative. For anyone who invested before 2013 and held, the moon is already here and has been since it hit 10k.

Secondly, I look at the overall trend since bitcoin's inception and see only a positive trend.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

CampingCarl posted:

I like how they sold 1/4 of their "investment" BEFORE the gains. Big brain stuff

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Fleetwood Crack posted:

First of all moon is relative. For anyone who invested before 2013 and held, the moon is already here and has been since it hit 10k.

Secondly, I look at the overall trend since bitcoin's inception and see only a positive trend.
You really are not addressing the points in that post and nitpicking about what moon means. Cool.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The only value of bitcoin is when you cash it out into real money

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Khorne posted:

incapable of functioning as a currency high high low
:lol: fungible high, scarcity is good, "established history" good, come the gently caress on

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I don't think we're headed for an apocalypse, just a long-term period of inflation of most nation's currencies which will benefit crypto as a hedge against that. Still, I'll indulge you and go with gold as a point of comparison.

hahaha what the gently caress kind of bullshit is this chart

pro tip for you my dude: punching an opinion piece into a spreadsheet doesn’t suddenly mean it’s hard data

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Sorry if my biases aren't incredibly clear, I am very bullish on sandwiches.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fleetwood Crack posted:

If you’re going to keep putting up graphs and poo poo, please ensure you link the source to establish some semblance of validity.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Burt Sexual posted:

If you’re going to keep putting up graphs and poo poo, please ensure you link the source to establish some semblance of validity.
Sorry, I got lazy there as I was phone-posting, I'm usually pretty good about that.

https://medium.com/coinmonks/fiat-v-gold-v-bitcoin-706a03332f2b

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Dewgy posted:

hahaha what the gently caress kind of bullshit is this chart

pro tip for you my dude: punching an opinion piece into a spreadsheet doesn’t suddenly mean it’s hard data
The traits in that chart are self-evident. For example, do you believe gold is easily portable, divisible, or programmable? Didn't think so.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Fleetwood Crack posted:

The traits in that chart are self-evident. For example, do you believe gold is easily portable, divisible, or programmable? Didn't think so.
If the dollar was still backed by gold do you think Bitcoin would have advantage over it?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

CampingCarl posted:

If the dollar was still backed by gold do you think Bitcoin would have advantage over it?
Not nearly as much as it does today, but crypto would still have some important differences - mainly that's it programmable and censorship-resistant.

Crypto Cobain fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 29, 2020

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Price charts don't really solve the underlying issues with bitcoin being completely strangleheld-controlled by a tiny group of people, any single member of which could destroy the entire system tomorrow but they only don't do that because they make more money continuing to strictly control the system

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Ad by Khad posted:

Price charts don't really solve the underlying issues with bitcoin being completely strangleheld-controlled by a tiny group of people, any single member of which could destroy the entire system tomorrow but they only don't do that because they make more money continuing to strictly control the system
I thought I addressed this when I showed what happened the last time a mining pool got too much share of the hashpower and miners abandoned in in droves. Also, if you understand that they'll never do it, why even bring it up as an argument against bitcoin at all?

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Bitcoins are highly fungible in that they can easily be converted into a bag of Amazon gift cards in a parking lot, so that part makes sense

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Who's saying they'll never do it? They sure could. Roger Ver is an example of someone who wanted to change btc for the better and completely failed because that elite group chose to keep btc exactly as it is so they could make more money rather than have it be more usable as a currency

Roger Ver is a hosed up selfish turd but he was a hosed up selfish turd on the wrong side of that argument, and now he hawks a bitcoin fork instead

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Ad by Khad posted:

Who's saying they'll never do it? They sure could.
Game theory. The same reason the Fed won't print a billion-trillion dollar bill for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Not nearly as much as it does today, but crypto would still have some important differences - mainly that's it programmable and censorship-resistant.
Yeah but what about the fact that Bitcoin is neither of those things in practice. Or at least no more than the US dollar is.