Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Great game. Probably the best horror game of the generation. And that's a fantastic price and it's super cool of you to point that out and I'd want to try it...

But I already got panic attacks. Got anything warm and fluffy? :v:

I don't know of any free deals but if you read Twitter, there's an account called Wholesome Games that is a highlight reel of cute, fuzzy, and uplifting games:

https://twitter.com/_wholesomegames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

This thread should really be in PYF, yall take your lists way too seriously

Quit posting the same bullshit every time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Alien: Blackout free on Android and iOS

Must stay on thread title :spergin:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

OAquinas posted:

While it's not exactly free per se, Alien Isolation is on sale for 95% off/$2.00 on Steam until the 28th.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/214490/Alien_Isolation/
Are any of the DLC worthwhile? They all seem to be reviewed fairly poorly.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They're all pretty short, with not much story.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Stickman posted:

Speaking of questionable content, for all you Amazon/Twitch-Prime-havers Old School Musical and Yono and the Celestial Elephants were recently added.

For the rest of us GOG has a bunch of free games now, mostly older games and a few "prologue" demos but some are pretty good!

A bunch of those have been free for a while, but that's not really a bad thing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Len posted:

Must stay on thread title :spergin:

Please be chill in this thread.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Reminder shogun 2 is now free on steam(I think)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Not yet, it should go live in a couple of hours.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

They're all pretty short, with not much story.

Last survivor and Crew expendable are neat little recreations of scenes from the OG alien movie, they're not too bad. Even bring back most of the first films cast for the voice acting. Everything else is just gameplay focused challenge room type stuff.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

repiv posted:

Not yet, it should go live in a couple of hours.

About 5 minutes from this post.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
They have apparently hosed up releasing Shogun 2 for free so badly that it says it is free when you search for it, and the title bar says it is free on the store page, but it still wants 30 bucks. I also added it to my wishlist as a reminder and it doesn't show up there.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Yeah, still says $30 for me too.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Its working now.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
After all that nonsense about having to download it, all I had to do was click Add to Account.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Look Sir Droids posted:

After all that nonsense about having to download it, all I had to do was click Add to Account.

Yeah a bunch of us told you that's probably all you were going to have to do

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/two-factor-authentication-required-when-claiming-free-games

Upcoming EGS giveaways will require 2FA to be enabled on your account, and sometimes require a 2FA code to claim the game

Take the opportunity to enable it if you haven't already

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

That will probably be the most effective push to get people on 2FA in the history of the world lol

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That's fairly annoying, but it does make sense.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Is the blood dlc worth it for Shogun 2? A bit of gore is something I always felt Total War games were missing. Ordinarily I'd never pay for DLC that really should be free or in the base game but seeing as they gave it away I'll bite if it is worthwhile.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

spaceblancmange posted:

Is the blood dlc worth it for Shogun 2? A bit of gore is something I always felt Total War games were missing. Ordinarily I'd never pay for DLC that really should be free or in the base game but seeing as they gave it away I'll bite if it is worthwhile.

Do you like zooming in to battles, and do you wish there were more lost limbs and blood fountains? If yes, yes. If no, no. And I do wanna emphasize, blood fountains. Big stupid almost samurai film levels of blood. I will say that I never thought the textures for soldiers covered in blood looked any good, but you can just look on the store page and judge that for yourself.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Free Gato Roboto Steam Key: http://devolver.link/GatoAW
Make an alienware account, confirm the email and enter a name, DOB and province/state and you'll get a popup with a steam key.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

That will probably be the most effective push to get people on 2FA in the history of the world lol

Hmm, I don't know. I think Epic instead should send another half a dozen emails about somebody trying to break into my account because I played a couple hours of Fortnite once!

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Make an alienware account, confirm the email and enter a name, DOB and province/state and you'll get a popup with a steam key.
Doesn't seem to work for me anymore. Shame.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the registration goes through but no steam key

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Site says "All Codes have been given out" unfortunately.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hitman 2016 is free on the Playstation store

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0082-CUSA02369_00-FULLEXPERIENCE00

edit: nevermind, it's actually just a free trial until may 3rd

they probably should have mentioned that on the store page

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 30, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you own Hitman on a different platform and really, really like it, you might want to check that out because of the exclusive Sarajevo Six missions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-__sPpbh10

Those always stayed PlayStation exclusive. It's an essentially a mini-campaign that re-uses the maps and gives you six more Elusive Targets.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 30, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Crashlands are free on EGS this week

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

repiv posted:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/two-factor-authentication-required-when-claiming-free-games

Upcoming EGS giveaways will require 2FA to be enabled on your account, and sometimes require a 2FA code to claim the game

Take the opportunity to enable it if you haven't already

God, gently caress 2FA.

I'm sure it's fine if you're, like, not poor, but I sometimes don't have cell service and until recently had a free phone that had to get replaced with a new number every so often, so I lost a couple accounts that demanded that I link them to my cell phone. Guess what, assholes? That means if I get a new phone number, I don't have access to my loving data, and you insisted I make a change that I knew would make me more likely to get locked out.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

John Lee posted:

God, gently caress 2FA.

I'm sure it's fine if you're, like, not poor, but I sometimes don't have cell service and until recently had a free phone that had to get replaced with a new number every so often, so I lost a couple accounts that demanded that I link them to my cell phone. Guess what, assholes? That means if I get a new phone number, I don't have access to my loving data, and you insisted I make a change that I knew would make me more likely to get locked out.
You can link your email.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

John Lee posted:

God, gently caress 2FA.

Breaking news, man somehow wants to play epics AAA free games on his gaming rig but is too poor to buy a cell phone.

But yeah, snark aside, just make a gmail account

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

John Lee posted:

God, gently caress 2FA.

At this point, most services out there, including the Epic store, support app-based 2FA (through a program like Authy or Google Authenticator that meets web standards-- annoyingly, Steam requires you to use its own proprietary one). These apps work by generating a key that's unique to your device and based off the current date and time, so as long as you have the physical phone or tablet you shouldn't need cellphone service or even an internet connection to use them. It's more secure than text messaged based 2FA anyways. Epic allows you to use am email address anyways, which isn't really 2FA but whatever.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I still have a really old android phone that I'm holding on to because I will need it if I ever decided to play Star Wars: The Old Republic again

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

goferchan posted:

At this point, most services out there, including the Epic store, support app-based 2FA (through a program like Authy or Google Authenticator that meets web standards-- annoyingly, Steam requires you to use its own proprietary one). These apps work by generating a key that's unique to your device and based off the current date and time, so as long as you have the physical phone or tablet you shouldn't need cellphone service or even an internet connection to use them. It's more secure than text messaged based 2FA anyways. Epic allows you to use am email address anyways, which isn't really 2FA but whatever.
That's slightly better, but still has issues because a) it means you need a smartphone and b) if your phone dies or gets lost or stolen you're hosed. The solution then is a recovery code, which you're meant to write down and store in a secure place which is fine for some things but not so much for others. 2FA really puts security and functionality at odds with each other and depending on what you're using it for there are times where the security is not worth the functionality loss.

Why isn't email really 2FA (assuming you're not logging into epic through your email)?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

dogstile posted:

Breaking news, man somehow wants to play epics AAA free games on his gaming rig but is too poor to buy a cell phone.

But yeah, snark aside, just make a gmail account

Hey, I HAVE a cell phone now, even if a kinda lovely one. But I don't have a 'gaming rig,' and I can't play most AAA games!

goferchan posted:

Xander77 posted:

You can link your email.

I don't like to admit it, but I GUESS all that's okay. Much better then previous 2FA, which involved getting a text, or purchasing your little button you had to press for WoW (not that I ever played).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why isn't email really 2FA (assuming you're not logging into epic through your email)?

A "factor" is a way of confirming your identity. Think of a password as being the factor of "something you know" and access to your smartphone or a standalone device like those old blizzard authenticators the factor of "something you have". Even if your email address and EGS account have two different passwords, that doesn't make it two separate factors. Everyday example, if you want to withdraw cash from an ATM, you need to scan your debit card ("have") and you need to enter your PIN ("know"). You're right, though, that there's a balance of security and convenience there -- for accounts you're not terribly concerned about, proper password management etc. is probably going to be a good enough security measure. Realistically though, the vast majority of people DO reuse simple passwords across a ton of websites, they don't keep an eye to see if they've had accounts exposed during a data breach, etc. They lose their poo poo, they get unhappy, and companies have to spend manpower on helping them recover their account. So at the end of the day there's an incentive for sites to require some form of 2FA.

edit: Here is an example of why sending a text message for 2FA isn't perfect, if you're curious. Long story short, a hacking group bribed and/or tricked telecom employees into getting victims numbers ported to their own SIM cards and used that to bypass 2FA and steal like $2 million in bitcoin

goferchan fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 30, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

dogstile posted:

:chloe:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If someone gets your email password they can get your epic one too, because you probably used that email when you signed up, and they just need to do the "I forgot my password" recovery thing (they can also go through your emails and see whatever else you're signed up to, and steal whatever they're interested in, which is why your email password is probably the most important one you have)

Actual 2FA means they can't do that, they need the other thing as well as your password, and usually they don't have access to the other thing. But if the second factor is just sending you an email... well you're protected if they only have your epic password, if they have access to your email then you're as screwed as if you didn't have 2FA enabled at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Dunno what the fuss is, I just added both games just fine without 2FA on.