Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Danaru posted:

Anyone hear any news about that 2500 a month top up for essential workers? The site just says more details will follow.

Also I dont know if every bank has it, but the CIBC app has an option under customer services where you give them the info, check an authorization box, and they'll set up CRA direct deposit for you :v: sure beats the gently caress out of that paper mail password thing what the gently caress

Some workplaces involved have sent out vague "this is coming! we don't know what it's gonna be like or when so please don't quit" messages, glad I could help (they're going to gently caress it up somehow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can't wait for the students money. Is there a different site for it?

needs to pass parliament first

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:magemage:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Jun 20, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Re firing with/without cause - I once sat next to my boss (who was a good boss, I'll add) as he dealt with a call from EI regarding a recently departed cook - "No, I put in 'fired with cause' because he was stealing from me. Yeah, stealing from me. I caught him in the act of taking things to his car and fired him on the spot. Ok, thanks."

It was that easy. In this case it was true.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Wow nice stolen valour there bud. It’s actually Sargent Sundae (because the original location was on Sargent Ave)
*salutes you*

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:madmax:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mmmm nothing like a nice refreshing sundae after a hard night of taking natives on starlight tours

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Lol a bunch of people tried to start a support are cops thing here in NS because that one cop was killed in the shooting, but it was way overshadowed by news that the RCMP knew the shooter's location well enough to tell the fire department not to respond to a house fire the shooter started, but then also did literally nothing for four hours while the shooter hunted down and killed unsuspecting people. there was news of American dual citizens getting alerts of the shooting because the RCMP informed the american embassy before they informed the loving people they're supposed to be protecting. We have the Alert infrastructure and the one time they dont use it is while a shooter is massacring people. Meanwhile people are calling 911 and being told the police/fire department were on the way while whoops nope

And it loving sucks that the one cop that gave enough of a poo poo about people to do her job was rewarded by getting shot because none of the other cops showed up to help her or anyone else. God loving I'm mad

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Danaru posted:

Lol a bunch of people tried to start a support are cops thing here in NS because that one cop was killed in the shooting, but it was way overshadowed by news that the RCMP knew the shooter's location well enough to tell the fire department not to respond to a house fire the shooter started, but then also did literally nothing for four hours while the shooter hunted down and killed unsuspecting people. there was news of American dual citizens getting alerts of the shooting because the RCMP informed the american embassy before they informed the loving people they're supposed to be protecting. We have the Alert infrastructure and the one time they dont use it is while a shooter is massacring people. Meanwhile people are calling 911 and being told the police/fire department were on the way while whoops nope

And it loving sucks that the one cop that gave enough of a poo poo about people to do her job was rewarded by getting shot because none of the other cops showed up to help her or anyone else. God loving I'm mad

holy poo poo. And of course, nobody will hear of this and there will be zero consequences for these scumbags who sat on their thumbs while people died.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

RCMP is gonna get away with not answering a lot of important questions about this incident, since everyone is still freaking out about coronavirus too much to realize wtf even happened with it. Most people will just see AR-15s made prohibited and think justice is served and violence is now solved.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Fashionable Jorts posted:

zero consequences for these scumbags who sat on their thumbs while people died.

Actually I think you'll find these heroes will be getting medals and orders of canada

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Honestly it might have been more than four hours, I got that from an interview with the brother of a victim. He said his brother went out to investigate a burning house to see if he could help, and later the guy went out to see what was taking his brother so long. Guy comes across his dead brother and hears a gunshot whizz past him so he bolts into the woods and hides in the underbrush and calls 911. Dude said he could see the shooter's flashlight as the shooter was hunting him down, but eventually gave up.

Buddy waited in the woods for four hours expecting the police or fire department to show up any second, and just nothing. He didnt say how long it took the cops to actually show up after that. God knows how many lives would have been saved by a simple "lock your doors and stay inside" alert

There was also apparently an incident where two RCMP drove up, got out, and unloaded their mags on a fire department that wasnt even in the area the shooter was at? :psyduck: like this whole thing is such a gently caress up on an astonishing level

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Don't worry, the police in every major city will have another military funeral parade going through downtown areas again to remind the proles who's still in charge

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Another Bill posted:

Actually I think you'll find these heroes will be getting medals and orders of canada

im annoyed at how right you are

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Fried Watermelon posted:

Don't worry, the police in every major city will have another military funeral parade going through downtown areas again to remind the proles who's still in charge

The Czapnik parade-and-funeral was actually very good, except for the part about the RCMP showing up to it. Bit of an odd choice, considering the well-liked guy we were mourning was killed by one of the many gravel road cops who'd been tormented into insanity by his own colleagues and then set loose on the rest of the world.

Well and the part about how his kids had to publicly mourn on a literal stage. Not that they weren't fantastic speakers, but still holy poo poo why would you put them through that?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

flakeloaf posted:

The Czapnik parade-and-funeral was actually very good, except for the part about the RCMP showing up to it. Bit of an odd choice, considering the well-liked guy we were mourning was killed by one of the many gravel road cops who'd been tormented into insanity by his own colleagues and then set loose on the rest of the world.

Well and the part about how his kids had to publicly mourn on a literal stage. Not that they weren't fantastic speakers, but still holy poo poo why would you put them through that?

That was another weird one. The official story iirc was that Czapnik was sitting in his cop car in the hospital parking lot when an ex-RCMP stabbed him to death unprovoked.

I mean, what?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Danaru posted:

Dude said he could see the shooter's flashlight as the shooter was hunting him down, but eventually gave up.

This is horrifying, rip that dude's pants

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Meanwhile in Quebec
“Pandemic of unwanted jobs”
“But if Trudeau pays the students to do nothing who will pick the crops for pocket change??”

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Danaru posted:

I am mad and sad at the same time. Smad.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Another Bill posted:

That was another weird one. The official story iirc was that Czapnik was sitting in his cop car in the hospital parking lot when an ex-RCMP stabbed him to death unprovoked.

I mean, what?

Turns out my recollection isn't any clearer, because the guy was profoundly hosed up in ways that should've made him incompatible with liberty, much less authority, long before he got a badge. He was in poo poo with supervisors, they clearly did nothing to help, then finally he snapped.. um.. snappeder and opted for suicide-by-cop by killing a total stranger from another organization :wtc:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
gently caress the police

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Glad to see all the posters decrying the slander of Canada's bravest police come back to apologize for being wrong.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I honestly stayed the gently caress away from all the news about the gunman (my mental health can only take so much) but I had an inkling someone hosed up when a few friends on Facebook who are...gulp...RCMP were tripping over themselves to show why no, what the cops did was right and the time they didn't say anything was normal and hey how are you going to know? Can't incite panic

It set off my bullshit alarm and hmmm yeah sounds about right

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

half cocaine posted:

Glad to see all the posters decrying the slander of Canada's bravest police come back to apologize for being wrong.

i'm p. sure people were saying it was ghoulish to jack off over dead cops while the gunman was still running around, but whatever. i don't think you're going to find an abundance of thin blue line rcmp stans itt

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I don't think we can Monday morning quarterback the rcmp response

They are trained to tweet for the center of mass and can't fire "warning alerts" like in the movies

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Woo, refused work on the grounds that it is unsafe today! I'm being moved to another department and will be working just enough to cover off my bare minimum expenses. Also found out that we might have cases in store, someone is being tested and we will know in 3 days.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Virtual Russian posted:

Woo, refused work on the grounds that it is unsafe today! I'm being moved to another department and will be working just enough to cover off my bare minimum expenses. Also found out that we might have cases in store, someone is being tested and we will know in 3 days.

glad to hear the first part but the second part sucks rear end and I hope it’s not true. Several of the Superstores in Calgary seem to have it or have had at least one case

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I wonder if you could justifiably refuse to work during business hours due to exposure to dumbshit customers and just cruise through the pandemic on nights, why are stores even open to the public? reroute employees to filling orders, allow customers to place orders at the front door to someone in a loving moon suit and then just shotput their groceries into the parking lot

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the grocery store experience is designed to cause people to buy things they did not intend to buy. it would hurt profits if everything operated in a reasonable not manipulative manner

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

blatman posted:

I wonder if you could justifiably refuse to work during business hours due to exposure to dumbshit customers and just cruise through the pandemic on nights, why are stores even open to the public? reroute employees to filling orders, allow customers to place orders at the front door to someone in a loving moon suit and then just shotput their groceries into the parking lot

This is what I've been doing actually but the assholes keep pushing to stay open later

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

you can legally refuse unsafe work in Ontario. i imagine the definition of "unsafe" would have to be determined in a court of law, after someone gets fired for refusing to show up at Wal-Mart cashier job

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Rutibex posted:

you can legally refuse unsafe work in Ontario. i imagine the definition of "unsafe" would have to be determined in a court of law, after someone gets fired for refusing to show up at Wal-Mart cashier job

if you get that far, companies will just use stall tactics until the fired employee cant afford legal representation anymore to avoid having anything actually spoken in a court room

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:mad:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

if you get that far, companies will just use stall tactics until the fired employee cant afford legal representation anymore to avoid having anything actually spoken in a court room

Yeah the Star ran an article about how the Ministry of Labour is dismissing all coronavirus work refusals

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Nice that the MB PCs jumped the gun last fall on the election that was to be held later this year, which after their handling of the pandemic they would likely lose a lot of support. But since they did it at end of last year, they’ll stay til end of 2024, ramming through poo poo austerity and cutting everything even more

:stoked:

MB is now worse run than ON- how does this happen?

the deficit

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Russian posted:

Sorry you've had to put up with so much BS to help keep ungrateful wretches fed. If you have an email address you don't mind sharing itt, I'll send you a gift certificate for plat.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Arivia posted:

Yeah the Star ran an article about how the Ministry of Labour is dismissing all coronavirus work refusals

the ministry of labour exists to protect employers not employees

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
No COVID-19 bailouts for firms that use tax havens, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says

God drat I love minority governments

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I want to like the BQ. I really do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

drat it's a shame there won't be any covid bailouts