Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
That's sort of why I explained it as a gameplay abstraction of water pressure. Metal tubes underwater don't really have to worry about structural integrity for the most part. But once you build large round rooms full of windows to give yourself a pretty view, you start getting massive dings to the overall integrity. A couple reinforcements like I installed in the video can pay for a lot of windows and observation rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I might have missed it with all the plot--did you make the rebreather in the last episode? Does it just increase your O2 number? I didn't notice a big change like there was with the XL tank, and I was surprised to still hear oxygen warnings in this episode.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

There’s a mod out there that simulates getting the Bends. No, I don’t know why someone would want to play with it active. I’m also pretty sure I’ve seen people in the thread in Games recommending it. Unironically. :psyduck:

That can actually be accomplished by opening up the ingame console and using the command "nitrogen" which toggles a longer underwater time but adds the threat of the bends, and can be done even on XB1/PS4, I think. https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Console_Commands has instructions on how to do that.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Hirayuki posted:

I might have missed it with all the plot--did you make the rebreather in the last episode? Does it just increase your O2 number? I didn't notice a big change like there was with the XL tank, and I was surprised to still hear oxygen warnings in this episode.

The rebreather doesn't add anything to your oxy meter, it just counteracts the increased consumption at depth, iirc.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Without a Rebreather, if you dive below 100 meters, you start spending air even faster. Simply having the Rebreather equipped negates that penalty.

Once you've finished fixing the radiation leaks in the Aurora, there's no reason to take the Rebreather off ever again, so you kinda forget about it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

IMJack posted:

Without a Rebreather, if you dive below 100 meters, you start spending air even faster. Simply having the Rebreather equipped negates that penalty.
Ah, okay! I can see how that would be a priority piece of equipment.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

To be more precise, from 0m to 100m depth you use one unit of oxygen per second. 100m to 200m without a rebreather burns 3 units of oxygen per second. And if you go beyond that, you start burning 5 units per second.

That fancy O2 tank DN made that gives him 225 seconds of air? At 201m depth it'll only last for 45 seconds.

On an unrelated note, O2 tanks are actually tracked individually. If you're running low and happen to have a spare on hand you can swap them out and get some extra air.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

On one of my early playthroughs, I had problems with creepvine samples rotting while in the reactor. Is that not a thing anymore? If so, good, it led me to use fish instead. I'm not a complete monster, though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I suspect that organic things aren't rotting because DN isn't playing on survival mode, either that or it's one of the mods he added, because in the base version food items rot real fast.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I don't think any of my mods affect the rate at which perishables rot. So it's probably just being on Freeform mode.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
I did my playthrough in freedom and creepvine and such still rotted quite fast so :shrug:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Same, they went pretty fast in 'normal' mode. To the point that I couldn't be arsed to keep up with refilling it constantly and just started hunting for thermal generator parts instead.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think creepvine samples are just really inefficient in the bioreactor. They're big and they don't last very long at all. Ordinary small fish last much, much longer.

The energy you get for composting things in the bioreactor is based on how much nutrition you get for eating them. Of course, the processed food blocks you find in the Aurora wreck can't be put into the bioreactor; the game says you can only use organic material. Which says everything about Alterra's rations, doesn't it? It's hilarious how much Alterra clearly doesn't give a poo poo.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 25, 2020

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

DoubleNegative posted:

That's sort of why I explained it as a gameplay abstraction of water pressure. Metal tubes underwater don't really have to worry about structural integrity for the most part. But once you build large round rooms full of windows to give yourself a pretty view, you start getting massive dings to the overall integrity. A couple reinforcements like I installed in the video can pay for a lot of windows and observation rooms.

Bulkheads also add a decent amount of integrity which is useful if you're like me and like to put lots of windows in your bases.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Aside from the pressure/hull integrity mechanic, bases are invincible. It's possible to build a base near some incredibly dangerous creatures and be safe and sound, at least while you're inside. Entering and leaving are a different matter...

BisbyWorl posted:

On an unrelated note, O2 tanks are actually tracked individually. If you're running low and happen to have a spare on hand you can swap them out and get some extra air.

Yep! This is what enables a lot of speedrunning strategies. They are inventory hogs, though.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I watched couple videos and then went and bought the game. Have enjoyed it tons so far, so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#12 - Jellyshroom Cave

Kind of a light commentary episode. There's a lot of audio logs in this one!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Sob, that cave is from my goddamn nightmares. It's so cool, but... those loving crabsnakes, the way they MOVE. Gahhhhhhhhh.

And I swear they're about the second most-hostile creature in the drat seas in my experience. I don't get how they left you alone so much, they kept hounding me every second I was there.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I always feel kinda bad about hitting small fish with the Seamoth.

I do wish there were a way to get those dangling poison things out of the way. I wouldn't feel bad about plowing through them with the Seamoth, but that doesn't do anything useful.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
The knife seems to always create bubbles now, even when you are in you habitat. I like the effect.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
The thermal blade is still important in Freedom because isn't just good for cooking stuff, it also does double damage to most everything, and with how limited your damage options are, that's wonderful.

As bad as having the knowledge of what happened to the Aurora come at the expense of the Sunbeam, I found it even more depressing to rush to the island and explore once the timer starts, get to the building and piece together that what happened to the Aurora is about to repeat, to rush back to the lifepod to try and radio them to stay back, and then realize its radio can't send them anything but the automated messages, and being only able to watch in horror as things unfold.

ldragon
Feb 18, 2011
I could have sworn I saw someone use the propulsion cannon to move those hanging jellies out of the way in a stream.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

ldragon posted:

I could have sworn I saw someone use the propulsion cannon to move those hanging jellies out of the way in a stream.

Well I'll be damned. Just loaded up the game and tried it. It doesn't render them harmless, but it does get them the gently caress out of my way. I should have played with the prop cannon more. Maybe next playthrough.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I know bulkheads are an actual thing but I keep thinking you're enlisting a certain Autobot to reinforce the base.

I assume we're gonna have to venture into Mr. Happy's territory and the forest near it soon so we can find the moon bay and Cyclops stuff.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009
Blasting those stupid ceiling jellyfish into the shadow realm sounds like the perfect solution. Better living through spacemagic spacetech! I wonder, can you hurt things, by blasting them with said ceiling jellyfish?

Thank you for putting this together DN, now I can comfortably resume my ancient save file instead of restarting again.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

ldragon posted:

IMJack posted:

Well I'll be damned. Just loaded up the game and tried it. It doesn't render them harmless, but it does get them the gently caress out of my way. I should have played with the prop cannon more. Maybe next playthrough.

:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

jboslund posted:

Blasting those stupid ceiling jellyfish into the shadow realm sounds like the perfect solution. Better living through spacemagic spacetech! I wonder, can you hurt things, by blasting them with said ceiling jellyfish?

You hurt them with the standard impact damage of throwing something into them. The jellyfish don't seem to have any special contact damage except for the player.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Fortunately like every other rear end in a top hat fauna those jelly things only appear in a couple of places in game*

*terrifying predatory megafauna not included, none of you are safe.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

This game, for all it's terrifying-ness, sure is purdy.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh hey, I missed that PDA in the locker as I haven't gotten the other settlement waypoint.

pointy corpse
Jul 7, 2014

Bart is so adorable :allears:. He really deserved better than being stuck in the hell-deeps with those other two assholes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

pointy corpse posted:

Bart is so adorable :allears:. He really deserved better than being stuck in the hell-deeps with those other two assholes.

Honestly I wonder if, had it just been Bart and Marguerite, they'd have done better. They both respect each other, and Marguerite might have been more inclined to work with Bart rather than try to keep taking charge if she weren't constantly butting heads with Paul over who calls the shots.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If anything I did love Marguerite's "gently caress these bullshit monsters :black101:" message when I found it.
I'd love to imagine she managed to make a proper sword or something to give them hell and go down swinging. The alternative as experienced by the player is less fun.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

When I played this, I went in totally blind, and ended up going to the jellyshroom caves before fixing up aurora or making a rebreather or even a seamoth. Instead, I just made two air tanks and a pump, and laid pipe all the way from the surface to the cave, and into the hab. Because of the depth, I only got like half a minute of time exploring away from the end of the pipe, and then had to wait longer than that to fill my air. I think it took me more than an hour to explore and scan everything in the base.

It was fun when I was doing it, but in retrospect, having proper equipment would have made it so much easier.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

I'm at a point now where I've seen and done everything the LP has, and poked around to probably 2/3 of the stuff I can reach right now (300m)

I'm desperate for Thermal plant pieces, and I'm considering making some tubes that go down 100m at a time, near the Gun Island. I'm still spooked wandering near the super far off stuff: my ocean terror is full effect when I can't see boundaries. Underwater mountain area are by far my biggest wall

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Tuna-Fish posted:

When I played this, I went in totally blind, and ended up going to the jellyshroom caves before fixing up aurora or making a rebreather or even a seamoth. Instead, I just made two air tanks and a pump, and laid pipe all the way from the surface to the cave, and into the hab. Because of the depth, I only got like half a minute of time exploring away from the end of the pipe, and then had to wait longer than that to fill my air. I think it took me more than an hour to explore and scan everything in the base.

It was fun when I was doing it, but in retrospect, having proper equipment would have made it so much easier.

Easy isn't always FUN! I know I had found both islands and gotten massive stockpiles of materials (that I kept in floating lockers) before discovering the Seamoth or even attempting to build a base... I thought you needed one of the large base pieces to build anything!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Switching topics briefly, by far the funniest time capsule I've found was one containing nothing but several bottles of water.

Some later game stuff so pardon the block of spoilers:
I built the Cyclops so early that left it alone for so long that all the batteries unloaded themselves.
And now I'm probably end up doing the same even after installing a nuclear reactor mod because I prefer the Seamoth's mobility (and lasers). It's still just sitting outside my gun island outpost and don't really want to use it just so I can bump into a leviathan once and then have to rebuild everything again.

Req.Martyr posted:

I'm desperate for Thermal plant pieces, and I'm considering making some tubes that go down 100m at a time, near the Gun Island. I'm still spooked wandering near the super far off stuff: my ocean terror is full effect when I can't see boundaries. Underwater mountain area are by far my biggest wall

My suggestion would just be to wreck dive like mad. Can't remember where I found the parts of the Thermal on my run but I'm pretty sure there was one of the deeper located wrecks at least. And then you need to go deeper for at least one of the components to build it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Req.Martyr posted:

I've shown it off before, however briefly, so there's no harm in mentioning it here: if you can't find them in the Jellyshroom Cave, then you can find Thermal Plant parts in the Grand Reef. It's that really deep area I showed off for like 5 seconds in one video with the pretty sphere objects. Just find the floating island and dive straight down, that'll take you right to the Grand Reef.

But like I mentioned in yesterday's video, nothing but bad poo poo lives 500m down. So be prepared.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Cooked Auto posted:

Some later game stuff so pardon the block of spoilers:
just so I can bump into a leviathan once and then have to rebuild everything again.

If you are at the point in the game where you can build a cyclops, a leviathan aggroing it should elicit less of a feeling of dread about losing it, and more of a feeling of annoyance about how you need to get out and kill it/chase it away.

Leviathans stop being dangerous when you make a stasis rifle or a repulsion cannon. The only reason you shouldn't just wipe them all out is that it takes an obscene amount of time to actually kill one, given how you need to stab them like 150 times before they die.

Cooked Auto posted:

Req.Martyr posted:

My suggestion would just be to wreck dive like mad. Can't remember where I found the parts of the Thermal on my run but I'm pretty sure there was one of the deeper located wrecks at least. And then you need to go deeper for at least one of the components to build it.

I do remember where the parts are. If you want the spoilers: Two wrecks in southern Dunes have 3 parts combined. Both are almost straight west from the center of the map, one maybe a kilometer and the other 1500 meters away. There are sand sharks, warpers and reapers about, so prepare to either fight or run. IIRC the parts are on the sand nearby, not in the wrecks themselves, although the wrecks have a lot of useful stuff too.

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Your Subnautica LP playlist is lacking episode 08.