Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

KillHour posted:

I do because I spent all week in the skip and will probably understeer into the gravel trap on every corner.

Can you explain why this is? I've spent the past couple weeks driving the skippy for the first time and just went back to the mx5 tonight. It's like I'm on ice. The corners feel like they are in super slow motion. Even after 45 minutes it still didn't feel right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The skip weighs 1,250 lbs. The spec MX5 Weighs 2400 lbs - almost double.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

KillHour posted:

The skip weighs 1,250 lbs. The spec MX5 Weighs 2400 lbs - almost double.

Ahh, cool. I know poo poo about cars so was wondering if all the ways they were different, what was making me experience it that way. The weight makes sense.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Douchebag posted:

I also believe, correct me if I’m wrong, that it’s based on corners per incident? So like Legends at Charlotte on the Legends oval sucks because it’s 2 turns.

You're thinking of Safety Rating, which is a long-term stat measured over a series of races. In a race, all that matters is total number of incident points, regardless of how many corners you have completed. Doesn't matter if you've somehow racked up 17x before the end of the first lap, or if you get that last 1x offtrack on the last corner of the race.

The P / DQ flags were added because they added flexibility to how the game handles incident points. Used to be that every official race of any length in any series on any track, if you racked up 17x you got an instant DQ. Now they've varied how many points it takes and added options to give you an in-race penalty before you get disqualified.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Ok that makes sense thanks!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I had my first clean (no incident points) race, and also my first podium finish on Brands Hatch with the Skip. Whoever said the good races make it worth it was absolutely right - tensest I've ever been in my life. I qualified 5th and passed 2 on the first lap, but at the end of the lap, I overdid the brakes in a corner and started sliding. Luckily, I was able to recover from the fishtail without going off back in 5th. The next 4-5 laps were fighting my way back, with lots of really good wheel to wheel action before we came up to the back of the pack and started lapping people. Halfway through, the leader had to pit (penalty maybe?), putting me in second, which I was able to hold on to for the rest of the race, ending 11 seconds behind 1st and 20 seconds ahead of third. Was really, really fun.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

One thing I've been surprised by as a new racer is how much watching streams and youtubed races helped (not like tutorials, just like Jimmy Broadbent or Empty Box having a race). I feel like I've already got a good intuition for when it's so for me to stick my nose into places and when I should be driving cautiously. Even just knowing that I can get the guy in front to brake way too late by moving to the inside late even if I don't intend to make a move. It's so satisfying making the right split-second decision and reaping the rewards from it.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

sum posted:

One thing I've been surprised by as a new racer is how much watching streams and youtubed races helped (not like tutorials, just like Jimmy Broadbent or Empty Box having a race). I feel like I've already got a good intuition for when it's so for me to stick my nose into places and when I should be driving cautiously. Even just knowing that I can get the guy in front to brake way too late by moving to the inside late even if I don't intend to make a move. It's so satisfying making the right split-second decision and reaping the rewards from it.

I’ve found if the guy behind me wants to push it , I just move high and let them go and eventually gently caress up. I can tell when someone is going to push it in a spot that’s not with it so I just let them go. My SR is more important than 5th vs 4th sometimes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On that one, the track itself factors into my thinking there as well. A place like Bathurst, I'm not a backmarker but I'm also not going to contend for a win in most splits. If someone is gaining a second a lap on me, I will do my damnedest to let them by on one of the two big straights, because I don't want some impatient motherfucker to try it across the top and take us both out.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The incident point system was mostly reworked due to the Spa 24h last year where they accidentally overflowed the variable they were using to store the maximum amount of incidents before DQ, and the first split had some hilariously low number of incidents before they got DQd, like 40-some, which at spa is absurd, only a few teams finished.

For the second timeslot, they removed it entirely, which resulted in tons of drivers getting demoted to D1.00 and even lower, because they were extending pretty much every corner, racking up literal thousands of incidents. It's another case of iRacing outgrowing its old code when pushed outside of shorter oval races.

(See also, the time a year or so ago when they underflowed the website's lap counter variable and it was reading -2 billion laps turned)

That said, the new penalty system is awesome and I really like it. 17x can come up rapidly on certain road tracks (read: Spa) in iLMS's 1 hour races.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Playing from Australia is fine, I've not had any egregious netcode problems in any races so far. Think algebra could attest to a very fast speed overtake at the nurb 24 last weekend that was close and no netcode shenanigans happened.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
My skip's tires were pulled like magnets to all the off track green curbs on Spa. I think my cleanest race was 6x

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I got a handful of MX-5 races in over the weekend - the first ones on my own account! I had a couple incident-free podiums and a fifth place finish with 7x - half of which were because I lost control while trying to stop after the race :v:

And then there was, uh, whatever this is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La_FKl_LR7A

I got promoted at the end of the race, at least

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm not fast enough usually to outright blow by people, but you'd be surprised how effective it is just keeping pressure on someone. they see you in their mirror and try to lose you and wind up screwing up

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm not fast enough usually to outright blow by people, but you'd be surprised how effective it is just keeping pressure on someone. they see you in their mirror and try to lose you and wind up screwing up

I've always enjoyed driving behind someone as if I'm a mental case that's about to kill us both, but doing it safely. Just by positioning your car right and peeking out to the side at the right times you can make them focus too much on you until they gently caress up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Just staying behind someone not getting smaller in their mirror will make them try and go faster and gently caress up, it's hilarious when they inevitably overcook a corner and you just breeze past.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All of my places I gain are usually via the person in front of me messing up and I stroll on by, its literally my racing style at this point.

Its especially delicious in GT Sport because the game ghosts them and turns off collision when it detects they're way out of whack, so you dont even need to dodge them

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I got my first win! Admittedly there was only one other guy driving the Mustang. Also it was only a class win because I took out half the field in T1 and had to tow. Also I won because the guy in P1 knocked over his router. But a win's a win baby.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
As far as collecting incidents goes I think it takes into account what your license class actually is, and what you are racing too, as far as what happens to your rating when you have incidents or not. I have a B class license and if I run a legends race and I have like a 5th place, zero incident race my rating will go up like 0.02. But if I get a 4x turn 1 lap 1 because the guy behind me blew the corner and hit me, but then I run clean the rest of the way and finish 2nd I'll still lose like 0.05. But on the flip side if I run like a C class super late model race and pickup 6x because I spun once and tapped the wall a couple times and finish 12th 4 laps down my rating will still go up like 0.1.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's based on corners per incident. Each class has its own corners per incident for each safety rating. So if you have 40 corners per incident, you could be a 4.75 SR for D class, bu that's 1.25 for pro class or around 2 for A class.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m in whatever class is measured in incidents per corner

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Butchering quali and starting 15th to make it to a podium (3rd) in the second last split of skips was the most memorable and tense racing moment for me. Hopefully, one day I’ll get better at qualifying. Gotta get better at getting the tires up to temp.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Cojawfee posted:

It's based on corners per incident. Each class has its own corners per incident for each safety rating. So if you have 40 corners per incident, you could be a 4.75 SR for D class, bu that's 1.25 for pro class or around 2 for A class.

It's also a rolling average so if you have a bad race drop out of the average you could get a big bump out of nowhere, and conversely if a you have a clean race drop just as you collect a bunch of incidents your SR will plummet.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Rated PG-34 posted:

Butchering quali and starting 15th to make it to a podium (3rd) in the second last split of skips was the most memorable and tense racing moment for me. Hopefully, one day I’ll get better at qualifying. Gotta get better at getting the tires up to temp.

Whats a good strategy for this? One lap of brands hatch isn't quite enough to get them up to temp for me. Do people just gently caress around doing donuts or something?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Granite Octopus posted:

Whats a good strategy for this? One lap of brands hatch isn't quite enough to get them up to temp for me. Do people just gently caress around doing donuts or something?

It's probably a combination of trying to scrub as much heat into the tires on the warmup lap as you can along with a separate qualifying setup that has been tuned to run fast with colder tires for 2 laps. I suck at qualifying because I try to set my cars up to be fairly optimal around the halfway point, or at least deep into the first third of a run so that I can run the middle of the race with my best stuff. This is an obvious disadvantage when it comes to running 2 fast laps out the gate on cold tires. So far I'm just taking it on the chin in qualifying and making the best of it with the race because my race setups aren't to the point where I'm setting the world on fire so I'm more concentrating on being competitive for an entire race rather than 2 laps. Not to mention I don't fully trust myself to switch out of my qual setup to my race setup and run half the time with a setup that is only good for 3 laps.
I really like running legends and run them a lot in any given week and it is something I see a lot. Guys that qualify in the top 3 or 4 that completely poo poo the bed after 5 - 7 laps, or less even, because they have a pretty fast car for 2 laps but when the tires heat up it all goes to hell. I've only won a handful of races but the ones I have won have usually been a late pass when I'm still able to run well and the leader has run out of tires, even in a 35 or 40 lap legends race.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 29, 2020

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Skips at brands is probably the most fun I've had in iRacing for a while, it's just such a good pairing. Does bring out some boneheaded driving though, which I guess makes it even more fun

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Skips at brands is probably the most fun I've had in iRacing for a while, it's just such a good pairing. Does bring out some boneheaded driving though, which I guess makes it even more fun

I got rammed by a lapped car on the final lap and finished 2nd crossing the line with 3 wheels. :discourse:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

algebra testes posted:

I got rammed by a lapped car on the final lap and finished 2nd crossing the line with 3 wheels. :discourse:

Are you me? This literally happened to me today and I also came in second. I had all my wheels though.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Drove as Dallara Dash race last night at Michigan. On a controller. Started 20th because I messed up qualifying (black flagged), and was punted into the turn 2 wall on lap 1 by someone who can’t drive a low line. Thankfully I was able to drive it to the pits, and eventually finished 4th thanks to ongoing idiocy of Dallara Dash drivers.

Good times.

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017
OK, last steering wheel question, and thanks for your help so far. I ran into some solid deals, so I probably have a choice to make. Which one would you pick - G920 or T150?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Evig Vandrar posted:

OK, last steering wheel question, and thanks for your help so far. I ran into some solid deals, so I probably have a choice to make. Which one would you pick - G920 or T150?

I have a G29 which is essentially a G920 in Sony clothes. While it was in storage, I bought a T150 (Pro, so better pedals) to use. The G29 is worlds better in build quality. When I got my G29 back out of storage, I traded the Pro pedals to my brother in law who had the cheaper pedals, and they look so very cheap. The G29 pedals have a rubber stopper and non-linear curve for the brake pedal that gives them a decent feel for non-loadcell

In the end, though, they both worked. The G29 has an advantage in build quality, brake pedal feel, and clutch pedal existence.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Speaking of the Skippy; Is this thing always so twitchy under braking, or is it more of an enter-at-the-correct-speed-you-lummox-git-gud kind of situation?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The G29/290 is Logitech’s best wheel. The T150 is Thrustmasters low end FFB wheel. Both are gear drive wheels but the Logitech will be nicer.

Neither is a BAD wheel, mind.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

MrYenko posted:

Speaking of the Skippy; Is this thing always so twitchy under braking, or is it more of an enter-at-the-correct-speed-you-lummox-git-gud kind of situation?

It's never seemed very twitchy because of the braking to me. Do make sure you're giving a big enough blip of the throttle when downshifting because I have had it start to come loose when not blipping enough. I had to consciously remind myself to do it until it became natural.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
If you've been driving the MX-5, the Miata has ABS and the skip doesn't so you might over brake when you first start driving it. I love the skips brakes after I kinda figured out the car. Hard to drive the Miata now that I'm use to throwing the skip into corners and the car just takes it

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Just chiming in to say that I'm very happy with my G920. The brake pedal is really the big sticking point on it for most people I know, the rubber block is pretty solid and the feel was a little stiff for my liking (plus I don't have a seat attached to my stand so I drive in a rolling office chair on furniture stoppers and I kept shooting myself backwards across the floor on heavy braking). There's at least one place making replacement springs to give it a better feel; I just removed the block entirely which probably makes it too soft for most people but I actually like the feel.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hi friends. I did a one month a few days ago and got sideswiped by a lapped car trying to race me while I was catching up to 1st place, so I’m officially a grizzled veteran now.

I took a look over the last few pages and the OP, but didn’t see a list. Other than Crew Chief and Trading Paint, are there any other must-have third party apps I should be using?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

Hi friends. I did a one month a few days ago and got sideswiped by a lapped car trying to race me while I was catching up to 1st place, so I’m officially a grizzled veteran now.

I took a look over the last few pages and the OP, but didn’t see a list. Other than Crew Chief and Trading Paint, are there any other must-have third party apps I should be using?

I use http://ir-apps.kutu.ru/#!/ just for the fuel calculator on race series that require a pitstop.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The Skippy, at least how I have it set up, which is pretty much in accordance with the current meta, steers much more with the brake and throttle than with the wheel. You'll be driving sideways a lot more than in the MX-5, it's a hoot to drive but it takes some getting used to. Under braking in a straight line though, make sure you're blipping the downshifts pretty heavily, it can get unstable and lock a rear if you don't blip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The Skippy, at least how I have it set up, which is pretty much in accordance with the current meta, steers much more with the brake and throttle than with the wheel. You'll be driving sideways a lot more than in the MX-5, it's a hoot to drive but it takes some getting used to. Under braking in a straight line though, make sure you're blipping the downshifts pretty heavily, it can get unstable and lock a rear if you don't blip

I don’t have a clutch or shifter, so I’m using auto-blip. Is that enough to keep it happy?

It just feels like every time I apply basically any braking, it tries to swap ends.