Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

oliwan posted:

So apparently the number go up again in germany? what happen?

Number lags behind countermeasures due to the time required for incubation and lab tests, so it's probably the effect of people adhering to the lockdown less and less the further it goes on.

More importantly, the delay in number development means that in case people like Laschet are too hasty with opening stuff up, we will only see it in the numbers once we are already in deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ika posted:

^^^^^
People have also determined how high a percentage of people need to have that enabled in order for it to be useful. I don't know the number offhand.

Where are you seeing this? Its slightly higher than yesterday, but its been like that every week, really low sunday, then Monday Tuesday Wednesday it goes up. Still far below last week's numbers.

I was going off of this:

"The Guardian posted:

Germans urged to stay at home amid fears Covid-19 infection rate is rising again

Disease control agency figures suggest that spread of pandemic is accelerating

Germans have been advised to stay at home as much as possible and continue to apply physical distancing as official data appeared to indicate the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic was once again accelerating.

The basic reproduction number (R), indicating how many new cases one infected person generates on average, has come to be seen as the key indicator over whether restrictions on public life can be loosened after Angela Merkel stressed the importance of keeping the number below one.

On Tuesday, the German government’s disease control agency, the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), announced the reproduction number for Monday 27 April had risen to 1, after having put it as low as 0.7 in mid-April.

[...]

The whole article is here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/28/germans-urged-to-stay-home-amid-covid-19-infection-rate-fears

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Oh. By Tuesday evening the estimate was back to 0.9. RKI seem to be giving bi-daily updates for a number that needs several days worth of data to determine.

E: vvvvvvvvvvv ahahaha

Ika fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 29, 2020

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

My Lovely Horse posted:

Bringing in all those Erntehelfer with little to no precautions so there could be Spargelessen in the first place has probably done more damage than people going to Spargelessen.

There's a bit by Max Goldt about normality during extreme circumstances that features the line "auch in der Nazizeit war zwölfmal Spargelzeit", but I don't think he meant it quite in the spirit of "und zwar um jeden Preis" it's taking on.

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON
SPARGEL! YOU WILL
REGRET THIS!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Sereri posted:

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON
SPARGEL! YOU WILL
REGRET THIS!

Excellent!

I haven't had Spargel in years, myabe I should get some Blood Spargel this season. :evil:

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!
My Probezeit gave me some time to reflect, and I made my own Käsespätzle at home, so now I think the lockdown is good.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cebrail posted:

Yes, BLE contact tracing might be poo poo and worthless. But location data is poo poo and worthless, there is no need to try it again, we know it is. And no, it's not "all just" proximity detection. GPS, for example, is not proximity detection. Literally everyone involved in any of the related projects says that. And I'm pretty sure most of them know it better than you.

Google claims to be able to do 1m and sub 1m accuracy indoors under the right conditions and hardware.

I have no idea what the average quality of the data is that they collect today, but it's certainly better than nothing like you get with the BT tracing app. People getting a notification that they were in the ALDI with an infected person for 30 min is more valuable than nothing.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Dentist trip report: dentist wore a ffp mask and diver glasses. She took of the glasses when talking to me. Dentist assistant wore a common blue surgical mask but in pink, and welder glasses. She cleared her throat once but I resisted the urge to run away. Receptionist wore no mask at all.

My tooth is fixed so that's good. I bought some new bread to test the mettle of my remaining teeth, and the supermarket honestly had more corona rules than the dentist :shrug:

Literally everybody has a mask now. Pharmacy tried to upsell me on "better masks" but I like the blue ones fine.

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011
I had to pick up a prescription today and the amount of people walking around with masks only covering their mouths, hanging around their necks or constantly fiddling with it made me want to scream

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Randler posted:

Number lags behind countermeasures due to the time required for incubation and lab tests, so it's probably the effect of people adhering to the lockdown less and less the further it goes on.

More importantly, the delay in number development means that in case people like Laschet are too hasty with opening stuff up, we will only see it in the numbers once we are already in deep.

The numbers are definitely trending down, and while there may be bumps, and even reversals if enough stupidity happens, things are looking optimistic.

HOWEVER, the mortality rate remains very stably at 5%, so any r0 > 0 is unacceptable.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

happyphage posted:

I had to pick up a prescription today and the amount of people walking around with masks only covering their mouths, hanging around their necks or constantly fiddling with it made me want to scream

Well, Maskenpflicht is only about wearing masks. Nobody said anything about wearing masks proficiently.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

happyphage posted:

yeah this is what i mean: people now have a false sense of security because the focus has been on the masks, but 99% of people don't use it properly and it remains the least important measure anyway.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

oliwan posted:

yeah this is what i mean: people now have a false sense of security because the focus has been on the masks, but 99% of people don't use it properly and it remains the least important measure anyway.

On my weekly shopping trip I didn't see anyone wearing it incorrectly in the store.

I wonder how large the effect of "I hate wearing masks going shopping" results in fewer shopping trips overall.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Shakespearean Beef posted:

My Probezeit gave me some time to reflect, and I made my own Käsespätzle at home, so now I think the lockdown is good.

Excellent. The secret to good Kässpatzn (imo, just imo) is to take at least half strong Bergkäse (my Empfehlung if you can stomach it: Weißlacker) and half milder stuff like Emmentaler. Self-made Spätzle are better than storebought ones but take some time to produce. Spätzle made from Vollkorn-Dinkelmehl are really good and filling as hell. Don't skimp on the onions, add black pepper when it's on the plate as well as Röstzwiebeln, if you want, and serve together with a green salad. Delicious! 😋

e: if you want to experiment a bit, eat it together with a side of Apfelkompott which is a trick I learned from eating Älplermagronen in Switzerland. It's surprisingly good!

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 29, 2020

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Going from maybe 5-10% of people wearing masks to >95% of people wearing masks (even if not perfectly) has to help, I think.

In addition, I would expect that it makes more people act carefully overall just from the psychological effect of seeing other people take it at least somewhat seriously.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

the people loving up with masks now were loving up beforehand as well, only now on average their expulsions go less further

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

They gave us these transparent plastic face shields at work. They are way more comfortable to wear than cloth masks but I have doubts about how well they work. Seems like my shameful ejections would just be carried downwards by the stream of air, out of the shield. Or is the idea that they get stuck on my shirt rather than fly into someone's face?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I once made Käsespätzle with some Schwaben and they had this complex process involving three different types of cheese, layering it all into a tall pot and baking it in the oven.
Every Schwabe has a Spätzle making tool. I also have one but I haven't used it in years.

It's a Spätzle Reibe, as opposed to the Spätzle Brett (experts only) and the Spätzle Shaker (only makes long Spätzle, but round ones are nicer).

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011

oliwan posted:

yeah I agree. Saw some also ignoring the distanzierung and you know that they're thinking that the cotton mask Mutti made them is a magical anti-corona shield

aphid_licker posted:

They gave us these transparent plastic face shields at work. They are way more comfortable to wear than cloth masks but I have doubts about how well they work. Seems like my shameful ejections would just be carried downwards by the stream of air, out of the shield. Or is the idea that they get stuck on my shirt rather than fly into someone's face?

I mean it wouldn't be directly transferred but yeah. Masks of any kind only do so much.

And anyway everyone knows the shirt is the largest filter of them all

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

aphid_licker posted:

I think that's basically it - the cloth masks also don't seal well and make it go either up or down, but cough / sneezes get caught and it isn't at head height. With faceshields you have splatterschutz and anything that goes towards the floor is a lot less dangerous than several meters at head height.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ika posted:

I think that's basically it - the cloth masks also don't seal well and make it go either up or down, but cough / sneezes get caught and it isn't at head height. With faceshields you have splatterschutz and anything that goes towards the floor is a lot less dangerous than several meters at head height.

Accurate.

N95 masks protect you.

Every other mask exists only and soleley to reduce range of expulsions.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Mithaldu posted:

Accurate.

N95 masks protect you.

Every other mask exists only and soleley to reduce range of expulsions.

But don't N95 masks not protect others from you, because it has a valve that means exhalation is not filtered? Or do both variations exist?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The surgical masks also protect you a bit, though obviously they're not very effective. Whether cloth masks protect anyone at all is not super clear, but they definitely don't protect the wearer well. Maybe better than nothing.

People here are all pretty good about masks, they put them on their face and don't seem to mess with them much.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
eagerly awaiting confirmation that this is all the result of a bungled viral marketing campaign for a The Mask reboot

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Journalists don't understand that a lot of numbers are very fuzzy.

The R reported by RKI is calculated using data with significant uncertainty. That's unavoidable because that data comes from reality, and reality is extremely messy and impure.

RKI posted:

Mit Datenstand 28.04.2020 0:00 Uhr wird die Reproduktionszahl auf R = 0,9 (95%-Konfidenzintervall: 0,7-1,0) geschätzt.

That confidence interval quite a range. Miniscule movements of R are not really worth reporting on because they are bound to be noise. The "It's not 1.0, it's 0.9! (actually, 0.96 and they rounded)" is insanely dumb for that reason. Of course you round to 1.0!

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

System Metternich posted:

Excellent. The secret to good Kässpatzn (imo, just imo) is to take at least half strong Bergkäse (my Empfehlung if you can stomach it: Weißlacker) and half milder stuff like Emmentaler. Self-made Spätzle are better than storebought ones but take some time to produce. Spätzle made from Vollkorn-Dinkelmehl are really good and filling as hell. Don't skimp on the onions, add black pepper when it's on the plate as well as Röstzwiebeln, if you want, and serve together with a green salad. Delicious! 😋

e: if you want to experiment a bit, eat it together with a side of Apfelkompott which is a trick I learned from eating Älplermagronen in Switzerland. It's surprisingly good!

Good shout - this is what we did! 50% Vorarlberg Bergkase ++ 50% Emmentaler. The Spätzle itself was just store bought but I would like to get a Spätzlepresse or that weird grater you hang over a pot and schloof the dough across. Maybe heretical, but adding a splash of apple cider vinegar adds a little acidity that works really well with everything else. So good

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ika posted:

But don't N95 masks not protect others from you, because it has a valve that means exhalation is not filtered? Or do both variations exist?
Both versions exist, plus the valve is angled down on some models so it works like a cloth mas.

pidan posted:

The surgical masks also protect you a bit, though obviously they're not very effective.
Yeah, i simplified a little.

pidan posted:

Whether cloth masks protect anyone at all is not super clear, but they definitely don't protect the wearer well. Maybe better than nothing.
They do, as mentioned, by REDUCING the range of expulsion.

There are videos going around about blowing out candles with a mask on, but as you can confirm with very simple testing yourself, this only works if you put your lips directly on the cloth, and even a few millimeters of distance brake your airflow enough to make it impossible.

This isn't complicated. It's not about deep microscopic filter mechanics, it's basic air flow physics that high schoolers can reproduce in experiments.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

oliwan posted:

Yes, that's what I was afraid two weeks ago, when we started this up in Austria, and unfortunately it has proven true. Luckily it hasn't shown up in the numbers yet, but people disregard the Mindestabstand because they feel very safe in their mask, most often one of the self-made cloth masks that are far from acceptable, even when used correctly. When in the next two weeks the first Ausnahmen in the Mindestabstandregelung get added (like in Öffis, since it's not possible to have 1m Mindestabstand) I think any application of this extremely useful tool will be gone totally in favour of far less helpful masks.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Bundeswehr apparently wants Adolfs:

https://www.bundeswehrkarriere.de/VIP/adolf

It’s almost like a meme generator

Except when you do stuff like this:

https://www.bundeswehrkarriere.de/vip/Hitler

https://www.bundeswehrkarriere.de/vip/Nazi

https://www.bundeswehrkarriere.de/vip/8===D

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Seems like they're working with a whitelist filled with Guten Deutschen Vorrrrnamen and redirecting everything else

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
It's also allowing other culture Vornamen, even fairly obscure ones (from a German point of view at least). But a good german name such as Ehrenfried is not allowed, smdh

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
https://www.bundeswehrkarriere.de/VIP/Tupac

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

I am glad we also allow people of Serbian origin to serve.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It lets me use Harris, but not HarrisB. So it's some kind of multi language first name whitelist, which is kind of smart, which is kind of surprising for a government website.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Also gut gerüstet für den Cyberkrieg

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I heard the pay for programmers is quite decent if you are willing to put up with the other bullshit - I haven't verified the numbers though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ika posted:

I heard the pay for programmers is quite decent if you are willing to put up with the other bullshit - I haven't verified the numbers though.

Apparently the Einstiegsgehalt once you finished your degree around 2100 to 2400€, which is... about half of what you can get in the industry with the same degree (why yes, we are grossly overpaid). I guess if you stick with it until you're like an Major or some poo poo it climbs up quite a bit, but with that much experience you can probably also get more on the outside. And for all that you have to verpflicht yourself for like 13 years.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Perestroika posted:

Apparently the Einstiegsgehalt once you finished your degree around 2100 to 2400€, which is... about half of what you can get in the industry with the same degree (why yes, we are grossly overpaid). I guess if you stick with it until you're like an Major or some poo poo it climbs up quite a bit, but with that much experience you can probably also get more on the outside. And for all that you have to verpflicht yourself for like 13 years.

Ok, I was told >100k / year. That works out to 30k which is... not that competitive.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Surely as programmer you would be a contractor or Zivilangestellter or something and not become a proper soldier. Pay over 100k sounds pretty high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Degree as in BSc? That's less Gehalt than I'd expect for a guy finished with his Fachinformatikerausbildung. You get zwo vier manning the Kasse at Aldi.