Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Guavanaut posted:

Computer, show me stills from a terrible 80s comedy about The Worst Mafia.

I wish you luck :)

What kind of stuff are you planning on doing?

Fixing the cufflinks is my favourite "rich guy" cliché, they love futzing with their cufflinks do you know they're wearing them. So corny.

Page snipe here's a rocketship 8==========D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Judge Tesla posted:

Congratulations to Boris for having yet another thing to hide behind while the country crashes down around him.

Remember how Cameron always used his wain that died to get out of having to answer any question about the NHS

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

joedevola posted:

Fixing the cufflinks is my favourite "rich guy" cliché, they love futzing with their cufflinks do you know they're wearing them. So corny.

It's like an advert for an aftershave named after something businessy like 'Boss' or 'Quorum' or 'Agenda' or 'Meeting' or 'Action Point' or 'Whose turn to put the coffee on'. They're always fiddling with cufflinks.

The other one is the 'frowny faced foldy armed' people supposed to represent tough business persons. Though these days they seem to do a bit more smiling than in days of yore 15 years ago.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

crispix posted:

Remember how Cameron always used his wain that died to get out of having to answer any question about the NHS

He loved the nhs tho

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Angepain posted:

this is what happens when you build your measure of political neutrality on annoying "both sides"

nobody thought it was possible to be a dumbass in two directions at once but with hard work you can achieve anything

"Both sides are angry, we must be doing something right" :smuggo:

*Tweets about how newspapers are dying and wondering why people don't trust the media*

crispix posted:

"Why have you undercut the NH-"
"DEAD. SON"
"...What about the nursing cuts-"
"D.E.A.D...S.O.N" :smug:
"Alright, Deputy PM Clegg, why hasn't there been an increase in doctor's wages-"
"Um...I think you'll find David's son died some years ago. Please have some respect for him and his family." :clegg:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 29, 2020

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Endjinneer posted:

If you want to go wander into the lovely lovely mountains, continental walking trails are for the most part really well marked with signs and splotches of paint on rocks or trees along the way. There are often routes that will take you to a mountain hut or refreshment shack. Be a bit cautious with the route times marked on signs. Swiss maps are all available through a free smartphone app.

In Switzerland at least, you should be aware that the trail markings are red = hiking trail, blue = alpine mountaineering trail. Blue is harder than you want to do, for example, on your own in running gear :eek:

A couple of amazing huts are the Cabane de Moiry or the Tracuit. If you come to either after the apocalypse let me know and I'll buy you a beer.

(*as I found on the Col de La Chaux. Mostly fine except a very unstable scree field)

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

joedevola posted:

Page snipe here's a rocketship 8==========D

It looks like a still from an inside no. 9 episode about people who cosplay as investment bankers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
please put this miserable nation out of its misery

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1255387372465934336

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jose posted:

half a mil a year for this sort of hard hitting journalism

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1255428334323990528

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1255446575192694790?s=19

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Jose posted:

half a mil a year for this sort of hard hitting journalism

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1255428334323990528

Some kind of reverse diaper fetish

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jose posted:

This is boomer gammonati roleplay. That's all it is.

As is this

pitch a fitness posted:

:lol:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

the sheer sloppy grammar of 'having babies change us' should be embarrassing enough on its own for a supposed journalist

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Is that guy Michael someone? I think I know exactly the smug prick you're talking about.

Yeah I can't remember his name because what comes under the avi causes such intense hatred that I have to edit it out of my brain for my own sanity, and "twitter idiot with poo poo avatar" is way too broad a search term.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

in italy the window singing was spontaneous and wonderful afaik

here the ultra rich are telling us to do it so we feel better

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Both sides are angry, we must be doing something right" :smuggo:

*Tweets about how newspapers are dying and wondering why people don't trust the media*

(Of course, the second one is also a lot less hard work.)

pitch a fitness posted:

:lmao:

TACD posted:

the sheer sloppy grammar of 'having babies change us' should be embarrassing enough on its own for a supposed journalist
They're all working from home in their underpants and have given up the pretense of caring.

This has been the case since at least 2011

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1255443263126937602?s=20

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Answers Me posted:

I guess you could set up a whitelist of people in your household (not that I'm endorsing this lovely, lovely idea)

I will dress up as a tree and serve some Macduff style tactics.

Jose posted:

Whenever I see some push for music to be attached to a disaster I always think of that Good Ol' Shoe song from Wag the Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v4ZLwevXAI

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
nm

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jose posted:

good god

the Twitter algorithm decided I needed to see this for some reason

https://twitter.com/edballs/status/1254421101733720066?s=20

so now I'm hoping that the scientists are wrong about the nearest approach of that asteroid by about 3.9 million miles

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just going to leave a bunch of vulnerable people to die, sorry for the inconvenience. :catstare:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Jose posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4VlruVG81w

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

"double down and get a deal" seems to be some new phrase the tories are going with

gonna be a hilarious one to juxtapose (or just 'pose) with the doubling deaths from the gov figures to ONS figures

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Just going to leave a bunch of vulnerable people to die, sorry for the inconvenience. :catstare:

Shits. Wonder if it's just them or all UK banks?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

joedevola posted:

We looked at taking a family trip around there last year and even relatively meagre accommodation was insanely expensive. I guess if you don't want to poo poo up unspoiled scenery with hotels that's what happens.

Oh really? That’s surprising, we found it very cheap although we were just a couple booking double rooms.

Whereabouts was you looking at staying?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Any of you muscle-bound athletes know where and how to buy a chin-up bar in the UK? A bit of googling gives me a good two million different lovely pieces of poo poo that suck. What I'm after is basically this:

i.e. just screw that thing on, permanently, rather than mess around with whatever too-cheaply-produced gimmick everyone's trying to sell

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I think to get one of those you have to get a woman pregnant then wait a couple of years?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

jaete posted:

Any of you muscle-bound athletes know where and how to buy a chin-up bar in the UK? A bit of googling gives me a good two million different lovely pieces of poo poo that suck. What I'm after is basically this:

i.e. just screw that thing on, permanently, rather than mess around with whatever too-cheaply-produced gimmick everyone's trying to sell

I’m always wary of chin-up bars that go over door frames. I don’t think my woodwork can support my goony mass.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Shits. Wonder if it's just them or all UK banks?
Looking around, it appears to just be HSBC, however that article also says that Al Rayan Bank is closing Interpal's account at the end of Ramadan, so I wonder how much is HSBC being specifically poo poo and how much is "we've received advance notice that the receiving account will be closing soon", and if it's the latter why no other banks are joining in.

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

I've met a working Yorkshire miner.
Is it wrong that I actually feel some hope after watching Keir at PMQs? He's not too bad. I mean, he should be far more vociferous in saying just how staggeringly poo poo and catastrophic the government's response to the pandemic has been, but hey ho.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

crispix posted:

I remember when I first pointed it out I got a bunch of people telling me that I was going too far and that even Cameron couldn't be that callous.

And then as time rolled on he kept doing it. Any NHS question was met with "HOW DARE YOU SAY I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE NHS MY DEAD SON". Boris will do it as well. Every time the NHS comes up he's going to go "BAAAAAAAH MY CORONA" and then say something in broken Latin about a half remembered Greek tragedy.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hi thread, my in laws have decided they are going for covid testing tomorrow despite feeling well 'because it tells you if you've already had it' struggling to find definitive wording disproving this, am I right in saying they're wrong and it's just for people who may have it right now?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GM-Door-Gym-Black-Large/dp/B082F9BQMF

This specific one is currently OOS, but you get the idea. Cost a tenner, had it for seven years, zero faff, and my otherwise flimsy looking doorframe has supported me from 220lbs doing weighted pullups down to my current svelte and sexy 185lbs

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Oodles posted:

I’m always wary of chin-up bars that go over door frames. I don’t think my woodwork can support my goony mass.

Something like that will be fine as long as you install it correctly - the bar itself should stop the frame from flexing inwards, although if it's only an internal plasterboard wall that might be an issue.

Jaete - if you've got a solid ceiling (or a well-installed suspended/joisted one and a stud finder) a suspension trainer would let you do chinups and a much wider range of exercise, might be worth looking into.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

I have this one and it's great. Not fixed, but very solidly built and it spreads the load across the entire door frame really well so it never feels like there's a risk of breaking your door.

Though it was £40 when I bought it last year so they're clearly not averse to some pandemic profiteering.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Hi thread, my in laws have decided they are going for covid testing tomorrow despite feeling well 'because it tells you if you've already had it' struggling to find definitive wording disproving this, am I right in saying they're wrong and it's just for people who may have it right now?

You're correct, no antibody tests have been approved by PHE. However a more persuasive argument might be to show them what the current antigen test looks like:

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1254943961476739072

and that they'll almost certainly have to do it themselves.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Tell them there's no proof that having it once means that you build up an immunity and plenty of people have already had it twice. Remind them that the Covid tests are massively under stocked and should be reserved for frontline staff.

Then just stress that they should be acting like they already have it and keep up social distancing and hand washing.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're correct, no antibody tests have been approved by PHE. However a more persuasive argument might be to show them what the current antigen test looks like:

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1254943961476739072

and that they'll almost certainly have to do it themselves.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Tell them there's no proof that having it once means that you build up an immunity and plenty of people have already had it twice. Remind them that the Covid tests are massively under stocked and should be reserved for frontline staff.

Then just stress that they should be acting like they already have it and keep up social distancing and hand washing.

Thanks both, I will try but they are stubborn olds so probably fall on deaf ears.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Like I say, that video has made me want to be even more sure I don't risk catching the loving thing.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Gonzo McFee posted:

I remember when I first pointed it out I got a bunch of people telling me that I was going too far and that even Cameron couldn't be that callous.

And then as time rolled on he kept doing it. Any NHS question was met with "HOW DARE YOU SAY I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE NHS MY DEAD SON". Boris will do it as well. Every time the NHS comes up he's going to go "BAAAAAAAH MY CORONA" and then say something in broken Latin about a half remembered Greek tragedy.

Yeah I seem to remember somebody fairly big on Twitter pointing it out and being shouted at by decorum pigs.

Using your dead son to mask your attacks on the NHS - fine

Pointing that out - disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

jaete posted:

I've had a couple of different ones - the ones that hang on door frames are okay but it depends if you have enough space around the doorframe itself, if you trust the way your house is built (I did one once that immediately cracked above the frame) and after a couple of years mine didn't feel too solid in the middle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gymcor-Ltd...88163357&sr=8-9

Something like this worked best for me. The bar I had was adjustable and fitted between the walls on 2 mounts with 3 screws each in. And as well as doing pull-ups you can hang clothes or halloween decoration on it.