Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Electric Hobo posted:

I finally painted Magore's Fiends! A very quick paintjob, just to cross them off my list.
Goddamn those bases are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
These are probably the last minis I painted and the only painted ones I have left; I guess I neglected to keep any fantasy around :smith:

such long time ago thinking back on it :eyepop:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Stan Taylor posted:

Hey I finished painting my first dude just now! Gonna re read some tips and focus up more on my next two but it feels nice to have one under my belt!

Looks great! The biggest hurdle for a newcomer (which I am) seems to be keeping the paint from clumping, and this is impressively neat and even.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have a question.

I'm looking for some generic miniatures to test paint schemes on, as I don't really want to strip anything I currently have.

No real hard requirements, but ideally they'd be sci-fi or sci-fi adjacent and ~28mm, and easily ordered in the US.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a question.

I'm looking for some generic miniatures to test paint schemes on, as I don't really want to strip anything I currently have.

No real hard requirements, but ideally they'd be sci-fi or sci-fi adjacent and ~28mm, and easily ordered in the US.

Comedy option: Green army men.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can find bulk heroclix cheap and just prime over the existing job. (The detail is very poor though. )

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

rats rats rats

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Xpost from AOS thread. Not super proud of these but loving glad they are done .

Geisladisk posted:

Just remember that anything you paint will look better than gray plastic, and it is extremely difficult to paint an army that doesn't look good so long as the color scheme is coherent and everything in the army is painted. Everyone's first minis aren't great, but everyone can paint good minis, even if a lot of us won't ever paint great minis. :)

Speaking of not great minis, I finally finished these dumb loving assholes.

Those new chaos knight minis look wonderful, but they are an unholy pain in the rear end to assemble. I don't think even one of those guys fits together perfectly. It feels like the models were designed in Blender and they then used some unholy algorithm to split them into parts, and that algorithm's only goal is to fit as much unto the sprue as possible. They just have the weirdest part division.

That also makes it impossible to paint them in subassemblies. Usually with knight-type-dudes you'd want to paint the horse and the rider separately, and the shield separately. Nope. The shield, the arm holding it, the reins, and half the horse's head are all one piece (???). The rider's legs are the same piece as the horse.

Oh, and the rider and saddle are covered in details that you can only paint by awkwardly moving your brush around the shield and the reins.

I've never hated painting models that look this good before.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Months ago somebody posted I think in this thread a link to a page that described how to paint various skin tones, broken down by color (Caucasian, mediteranean, Pacific, African, etc) but for the life of me I can't find this anywhere. Does anybody have a good page for this? Ideally not a video, an article I can save (this time) and go back to would be best!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Furism posted:

Months ago somebody posted I think in this thread a link to a page that described how to paint various skin tones, broken down by color (Caucasian, mediteranean, Pacific, African, etc) but for the life of me I can't find this anywhere. Does anybody have a good page for this? Ideally not a video, an article I can save (this time) and go back to would be best!

Could've it been the goonhammer article about how to pain skin perhaps?
https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-human-skin/

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I wanted to get some sweet chaos warriors or something to work on but they were out of stock :smith:

And I guess going to round bases has let them cut loose on skaven models; wish I had kept some characters or assassins around

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Cooked Auto posted:

No but this is freaking perfect, thanks!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geisladisk posted:

They look great, some darn good edge highlighting you've got on them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Winklebottom posted:

rats rats rats

Those are some nice white rats.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Winklebottom posted:

rats rats rats

Can you go over your process on these? I've painted and stripped each one of these models at least twice and I've never been happy with the results.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a question.

Chaos cultists, and the easy build Primaris reivers, intercessors, plage marines and poxwalkers are all like $10-15 each, my avatar brother.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Can you go over your process on these? I've painted and stripped each one of these models at least twice and I've never been happy with the results.

Sure!

The skin is AP Skeleton Bone base -> AP Light Tone wash -> GW Pallid Wych Flesh layer -> Glaze with AP Matt White. Then I wash the face, hands, feet and tail with 1:1 mix of AP Red Tone and AP Quickshade Wash Mixing Medium until i like how it looks, usually about 2-3 layers.

Metal, cloth and leather is just AP Gun Metal/GW Mephiston Red/GW Mournfang Brown washed with AP Strong Tone and highlighted with AP Plate Mail Metal/AP Pure Red/GW Skrag Brown. Then the cloth/leather gets a fine highlight of GW Firedragon Bright/GW Deathclaw Brown. The weapons are AP Angel Green with progressively finer highlights of GW Warpstone Glow -> AP Jungle Green -> GW Yriel Yellow.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Cooked Auto posted:

This is good content!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I always remember Skaven being "fun" to paint because yeah they have armor but they're also fleshy/hairy things and that always feels the hardest to get right

I wonder if I have any photos of my old Skaven stuff around

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Werix posted:

Chaos cultists, and the easy build Primaris reivers, intercessors, plage marines and poxwalkers are all like $10-15 each, my avatar brother.

Yeah, I was just figuring with retail shut down locally, I could order something I wouldn't normally just hop down the street and pick up :shrug:

EDIT:
IT also looks like everything is out of stock :lol:

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 29, 2020

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Currently working on a Tomb King as a Necron Lord.

He's very small compared to his dad

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Furism posted:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1310-ethnic-skintones

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Along with the minis and the paints i also bought a bunch of brushes, namely GW's Layer, Base and Dry S and M, as well as Army Painter Insane Detail.

I have mostly used the S and M Layer and Base, and have painted in total about 1 space marine (in terms of paint area i have applied) and all 4 of the brushes already looks like poo poo. LIke they all have bad hair days. Sure, both the S ones, that came with one of those plastic sleeves, were kinda bad out of the box as they had gotten a few hairs pinched when the sleeve was put on at the factory, but i kinda expected the brushes to last longer than this?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ineptitude posted:

Along with the minis and the paints i also bought a bunch of brushes, namely GW's Layer, Base and Dry S and M, as well as Army Painter Insane Detail.

I have mostly used the S and M Layer and Base, and have painted in total about 1 space marine (in terms of paint area i have applied) and all 4 of the brushes already looks like poo poo. LIke they all have bad hair days. Sure, both the S ones, that came with one of those plastic sleeves, were kinda bad out of the box as they had gotten a few hairs pinched when the sleeve was put on at the factory, but i kinda expected the brushes to last longer than this?

All brushes have a limited lifespan, then they get downgraded to drybrushes, then they get downgraded to applying PVA or textures to bases. But they should definitely last longer than that. If I had to guess there is paint down at the ferrule end (not the tip, the other end) which has dried so the bristles are splaying out. Make sure you are washing the paint out of them thoroughly and regularly while you are using them, and when you are wiping them give them... I'm going to say a spin? To try and pull the bristles back into a point along your paper towel. If they are getting J tips, I dont know what causes that (and its how my brushes tend to go in the end). I should probably find out.

I dont buy expensive brushes. Most of mine are bought off wish, the rest from random craft stores, apart from a few army painter brushes. So I have no particular fear of ruining them. So what I did when I had a few brushes that had splayed out is I dipped the bristles in denatured alchohol (methylated spirits). Then I wiped them on a kitchen towel. A whole mess of paint came off, repeat as necessary, and then I could get most of them to go back into a point again. I rinsed them with water afterwards obviously. I make no guarantees this will work, it may do irreparable damage to expensive natural hair brushes or melt plastic bristles or whatever. But it did work for a couple of my brushes (army painter highlight brushes and a cheaper GW starter brush I got when someone gifted me the first issue of that partwork magazine they did), and its worth trying if your brushes are already at a stage when you are considering chucking them. Someone may have a kinder solution, with like brush conditioner or something, but a bar of that would cost more than most of my brushes and I already had the meths.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I only really use two brushes (Windsor & Newton Series 7 1 and 0) aside from a drybrush and I've had good results keeping them in nice condition using The Masters Brush Cleaner soap.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Ineptitude posted:

Let me ask some questions. How often are you rinsing your brushes? How far up the bristles are you getting paint? How are you applying the paint to the models, pushing, pulling, jabbing? When you switch brushes where does the previous one go, laid down or left in the rinse cup?

Winklebottom posted:

I only really use two brushes (Windsor & Newton Series 7 1 and 0) aside from a drybrush and I've had good results keeping them in nice condition using The Masters Brush Cleaner soap.

Can agree this stuff is the big time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

It really is, been using it frequently to keep the tips of my brushes whenever I'm done painting.
I almost need to get a new one soon because mine is edging ever closer to running out.

I think the worst my recent brush purchase has done is losing the tip after lying unused for a while and going dry but that's easily fixed with a quick dip and twist.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

SiKboy posted:

If I had to guess there is paint down at the ferrule end (not the tip, the other end) which has dried so the bristles are splaying out. Make sure you are washing the paint out of them thoroughly and regularly while you are using them, and when you are wiping them give them... I'm going to say a spin? To try and pull the bristles back into a point along your paper towel. If they are getting J tips, I dont know what causes that (and its how my brushes tend to go in the end). I should probably find out.

This is hopefully it, i had a case of paint reaching the ferrule.

Also curious about the J-tip, my shade brush has a J-tip somehow, literally barely used it.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Let me ask some questions.

Cat Face Joe posted:

How often are you rinsing your brushes?
Rinsing in water when changing color in the same paint session, rinse thoroughly, wipe/rub on paper, rinse again, when done with a paint session

Cat Face Joe posted:

How far up the bristles are you getting paint?
I try to not go further than halfway but there has been a few occasions where paint has gotten to the ferrule

Cat Face Joe posted:

How are you applying the paint to the models, pushing, pulling, jabbing?
Mostly pulling, i think. I keep the brush normal to the surface and drag it towards me
A few cases of stabbing

Cat Face Joe posted:

When you switch brushes where does the previous one go, laid down or left in the rinse cup?
Wiped and dried and left with bristle up in a dry cup

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I have nothing to add for most of this conversation except to also endorse a decent sable brush and Master's soap, but

SiKboy posted:

If they are getting J tips, I dont know what causes that (and its how my brushes tend to go in the end). I should probably find out.

This particular thing is just something synthetic brushes do as they wear out. I treat it like a sign I need to buy more cheap brushes and throw this one on the utility brush pile.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ineptitude posted:

Rinsing in water when changing color in the same paint session, rinse thoroughly, wipe/rub on paper, rinse again, when done with a paint session

I'd advise rinsing and wiping every time you change colour, not just at the end.

grassy gnoll posted:

I have nothing to add for most of this conversation except to also endorse a decent sable brush and Master's soap, but

This particular thing is just something synthetic brushes do as they wear out. I treat it like a sign I need to buy more cheap brushes and throw this one on the utility brush pile.

Good to know, I assumed it was something I was doing myself! Theres one particular brush that develped a J tip incredibly quickly that I used for about 3 months because the very tip of the J was actually really useful for fine lines, but generally I downgrade them when it happens.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

This is another good resource! Thank you for sharing.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

Also curious about the J-tip, my shade brush has a J-tip somehow, literally barely used it.

I try to not go further than halfway but there has been a few occasions where paint has gotten to the ferrule

Mostly pulling, i think. I keep the brush normal to the surface and drag it towards me
A few cases of stabbing

You should be rinsing it in water every few minutes, even with the same color.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
and just to mix things up

granted, its not like its a big departure from what I already have sitting around but its something a little different

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ugh, I'm running my head against the wall with Vallejo washes. I had bad luck with them before, they absolutely cannot be used like GW or AP washes, they leave a dirty-looking finish on surfaces, and worst of all they have this tendency to dry white/cloudy/hazy in recesses where washes obviously tend to collect.

I really should just cut my losses and stop trying, just save them for general grime and effects, but I keep convincing myself that I paid money for the set and that I can make them work somehow.

See the face and right hand on this test model. I was trying out different mixes of washes to maybe make skin look slightly unhealthy and diseased, but look how it has dried to gray, almost white on the face, and completely white on the hand. I used 1:1:1 umber/blue/green shade on the face and 1:1 blue/green shade on the hand, all of which are obviously quite dark, not grayish white. I shook and rolled and wiggled about these washes for like 10 minutes each, to make sure everything in the bottles was evenly distributed, to no avail.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 29, 2020

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

A few cases of stabbing

Agreeing with Booley, I rinse my brush pretty much every time I go back to the pallet. You might have paint in the ferrule. When this happens I use the previously mentioned Masters brush soap and wash the poo poo out of it. It's surprising how much color comes out of a brush you thought was clean. I know you've already spent a lot on brushes and this is one more thing but it's definitely worth it in the long term.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Ugh, I'm running my head against the wall with Vallejo washes. I had bad luck with them before, they absolutely cannot be used like GW or AP washes, they leave a dirty-looking finish on surfaces, and worst of all they have this tendency to dry white/cloudy/hazy in recesses where washes obviously tend to collect.

I don't have a solution for you but wanted to let you know that three of the four Vallejo washes I have act like this. I've had AP do this too. Never had this problem with GW.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Geisladisk posted:

I'm literally having the same issue as you right now, I got some base colour on and i've all but given up for now until i have a couple full days, per model, to sit down and actually paint them. How the gently caress are you supposed to get around the reins and poo poo to get into the other bits????

the little dudes are broken up perfectly into body/head/shield and it makes it real easy

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

This is another good resource! Thank you for sharing.

Yes! That's the article I was thinking about, thanks!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Im going to try washing between every palette visit, see if that helps.
The acrylic paint dries surprisingly fast, even with how much i water it down. Our humidity here is also very low which probably doesnt help. I have noticed paint drying on the brush while i am painting with it.

I dont have that Master soap available. I tried regular handsoap which gave unimpressive results. Can i use brush cleaner? Its not as hard as white spirit but its quite a lot more heavy duty than soap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I really should just cut my losses and stop trying, just save them for general grime and effects, but I keep convincing myself that I paid money for the set and that I can make them work somehow.

Have you tried adding a tiny drop of glaze medium to the wash? I know I shill that poo poo every chance I get, but one of its many uses is helping in washes - it makes them dry cleaner and smoother. No idea if it's gonna help with frosting, but it does help with stuff like pooling rings.