Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Uthor posted:

What do you call the third smallest string on a guitar?

Sol string

Someone pulled a power cord right out of a motor terminal box today. Motor does not ever move, the only interaction with it ever should be just to unplug it. It is remarkable that some people can breathe

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Uthor posted:

Phil.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Uthor posted:

that's a flip-flop

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Uthor posted:

D#

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Memento posted:

Yeah no one's actually getting up there without appropriate footwear.

Also, it was taken in the Grampian Mountains in Victoria, Australia. Sorry to say it but those are thongs.

Close, it's a bit to the NW of the Grampians:

quote:

Excerpt from Chessler Books: John ‘Verm’ Sherman climbing a 5.13 in Australia, in flip flops, while drinking a beer. This is a photo that was used in the Patagonia Catalog, and perfectly captures Verm’s anarchic style of climbing.

The climb is called Lord of the Rings, 5.13, at Mount Arapiles in Australia, one of the world’s greatest rock climbing areas. Taken in 1987, Verm is drinking a Cooper’s Best Extra Stout."

He's clipped in but still actually holding himself up. Calling it staged doesn't do it justice imo.

Strongly recommend trying Cooper's Best Extra Stout, probably not while climbing though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Sausages posted:

Strongly recommend trying Cooper's Best Extra Stout, probably not while climbing though.

Yeah, take pot to get high. :420:

Of course, some actually do just that.

quote:

Another set of respondents answered that they had mixed marijuana with training and climbing and experienced the negative results of increased anxiety, reduced motivation, coordination, and focus including a reduction of both basic and safety related decision making skills.

“Reduces my power and determination.”
“I pull too hard and get hurt.”
“It dramatically decreases my pain tolerance. If I get high and climb, sharp holds become unbearable.”
“I’ve become so zoned in on holds that are just beautiful I’ve forgotten to climb.”
“Weed can make me stupid and I do dumb things or take forever to figure out a basic sequence. This is why I only will use in a very controlled environment without much decision making going on.”
“Can increase fear of falling and decrease overall clarity of thought.”

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Proteus Jones posted:

that's a flip-flop

:golfclap:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ArcMage posted:

If the thief presses down with a crowbar, perhaps.

I saw a video a while back that made it look easier than you'd think, but I'm sure it depends largely on how well the body of the holster is attached to the paddle or whatever keeps it on your belt. (For the record, on the rare occasion that I wear a holster it's still on the outside.)

With the purple heart holster posted upthread, quality is completely out of the equation and the thief has a huge advantage because they already have the gun in their hand and you have to keep them from moving up or down while trying to get their hand free.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

A minor

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Careful you might attract some mods :aatrek:

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

With apologies for the meme in the corner.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Cat Hatter posted:

I saw a video a while back that made it look easier than you'd think, but I'm sure it depends largely on how well the body of the holster is attached to the paddle or whatever keeps it on your belt. (For the record, on the rare occasion that I wear a holster it's still on the outside.)

That video wasnt demonstrating something that happens often. It was demonstrating what a giant piece of poo poo that particular holster is.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

everydayfalls posted:

With apologies for the meme in the corner.

It is a good meme.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/dqiNj03.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/nR9S0IZ.mp4

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lol I remember driving under that, what a day.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Nenonen posted:

Yeah, take pot to get high. :420:

Of course, some actually do just that.

I once got lost trying to get a glass of water from the kitchen after a particularly strong strain hit me harder than I expected. Climbing under that influence sounds like a really bad day at the office, except missing a milestone at work doesn't mean plummeting towards the ground (and whatever else is within striking distance) at a high rate of speed.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Atticus_1354 posted:

That video wasnt demonstrating something that happens often. It was demonstrating what a giant piece of poo poo that particular holster is.

I must not have made my position clear enough.

If someone can grab your gun and has the option to remove it from your holster by pulling up or pushing down you are going to have a very difficult time keeping control of your gun once they've grabbed it.

Less than 100% of OWB holsters are susceptible to this vulnerability but this particular holster makes it trivial by design so it is therefore more dangerous even aside from the already mentioned shooting oneself in the leg problem.

I only mentioned the video because most people don't think about how hard it would be to keep control of a gun in that situation (because it'll hardly ever happen), not to throw shade at that type of holster.

The particular video I watched actually did try to generalize this as a problem inherent to all OWB holsters but I disagree with the conclusions drawn and was unsuccessfully trying to keep from discussing dumb "but what if..." gun owner bullshit, which is my third most hated thing that comes up too frequently in gun culture.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you're not carrying a gun they can't steal it

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

this is why we need skul-guns

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Cat Hatter posted:

I must not have made my position clear enough.

If someone can grab your gun and has the option to remove it from your holster by pulling up or pushing down you are going to have a very difficult time keeping control of your gun once they've grabbed it.

Less than 100% of OWB holsters are susceptible to this vulnerability but this particular holster makes it trivial by design so it is therefore more dangerous even aside from the already mentioned shooting oneself in the leg problem.

I only mentioned the video because most people don't think about how hard it would be to keep control of a gun in that situation (because it'll hardly ever happen), not to throw shade at that type of holster.

The particular video I watched actually did try to generalize this as a problem inherent to all OWB holsters but I disagree with the conclusions drawn and was unsuccessfully trying to keep from discussing dumb "but what if..." gun owner bullshit, which is my third most hated thing that comes up too frequently in gun culture.

All of my counterpoints involve holster construction and thus don't answer your position at all really. I think I mostly agree, however.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

BMan posted:

this is why we need skul-guns

why should we give a face mounted firearm to a moron who can’t even figure out which button vends orange soda

E: This email was sent to unatco-all in error, please delete if it was not meant for you.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 29, 2020

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I thought the (lovely) sequel ran with that meme and made it so it actually was a janitorial conspiracy?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I still feel like it’s a bad idea to give out “skul guns” and I will stand behind that assertion, flatlander woman.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/TCsnLE2.gifv

Little boats are such dicks.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Where is that? Amsterdam?

Larger ships get right of way thanks to tonnage and inertia and that parade looks to be going slower than walking speed, so it's fine.

Except that gently caress in the small black boat in the top left trying to cross the stream of ships. You don't do that. The larger ships can't directly see you and even if they do, they may not stop or divert course in time. Cripes.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ArcMage posted:

All of my counterpoints involve holster construction and thus don't answer your position at all really. I think I mostly agree, however.

We're cool. I just wanted to make sure we weren't talking past each other while thinking we're talking about the same thing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Chocobo posted:

Ah, yes, the safety flinch. A classic safety maneuver.

You can flinch if you want to
You can turn your gaze aside
'Cause your breaking glass
And if you break glass, well
You're no friend of mine

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm the wave runner that rolls up, *boops* the harbor police boat, then speeds away.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm the wave runner that rolls up, *boops* the harbor police boat, then speeds away.

Maybe he's bringing them lunch

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

As a layperson who is unfamiliar with boats, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at. There's a lot going on in the clip.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Kith posted:

As a layperson who is unfamiliar with boats, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at. There's a lot going on in the clip.

There's just a lot of boat bro

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

CzarChasm posted:

You can flinch if you want to
You can turn your gaze aside
'Cause your breaking glass
And if you break glass, well
You're no friend of mine

I hate you. That stupid song is going to be stuck in my head forever. Again.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kith posted:

Find Waldo

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Kith posted:

Somebody dies.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Everything about that GIF is making quarantine hurt. The sunny day, all the boats and people, the carnival. :(

though in normal times it's probably an event id avoid, lol

i wonder what the naval vessel in the foreground is. the size and gun towards the front reminds me of an American LCS but the ones I've seen the front gun isn't on a platform, kind of like the ship towards the background

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 29, 2020

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Antigravitas posted:

Where is that? Amsterdam?

Yup
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAIL_Amsterdam
Unfortunately cancelled this year, meaning the next one is in 2025.

20 Blunts posted:

Everything about that GIF is making quarantine hurt. The sunny day, all the boats and people, the carnival. :(

though in normal times it's probably an event id avoid, lol

i wonder what the naval vessel is. the size and gun towards the front reminds me of an American LCS but the ones I've seen the front gun isn't on a platform

In the foreground is a OPV:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland-class_offshore_patrol_vessel

In the background is a Air defence frigate/destroyer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Zeven_Provinci%C3%ABn-class_frigate

AlexanderCA fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 29, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Kiel Week was moved to September this year but without the drunk assholes on land. Social distancing is easier when everyone confines to a boat I guess. Still, I doubt it's going to be the same. IIrc you can't even cross to Denmark right now (and vice versa) so a lot of our Baltic friends will be absent…

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Stopped into the job I'm layed off from to get some of my tools for a side job(gonna probably get the whole kit here soon). There are racoons in the ceiling. There are NUMEROUS osha violations at this shop, like no provided ppe whatsoever, no paper towels for handwashing, just a communal large rag. They cut everyone's pay from COVID19(PRETTY FUCKIN BACKWARDS IMHO). He replaced a few furnace blowers that kept burning up before giving up and finally loving calling a pro to install another furnace he picked up at auction. The installer informed me we don't have a fresh air exchanger. Still don't.

The solution about the racoons has been "I'm gonna pour a bunch of ammonia up there then seal it off."

My friend that works in the same building, under the racoons, is immuno compromised, and is on medication that can cause lung infections when mixed with animal feces and cigarette smoke.

I think it's time to give big O a call, but it sucks because I don't want to put my buddy out of work.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

interwhat posted:

Stopped into the job I'm layed off from to get some of my tools for a side job(gonna probably get the whole kit here soon). There are racoons in the ceiling. There are NUMEROUS osha violations at this shop, like no provided ppe whatsoever, no paper towels for handwashing, just a communal large rag. They cut everyone's pay from COVID19(PRETTY FUCKIN BACKWARDS IMHO). He replaced a few furnace blowers that kept burning up before giving up and finally loving calling a pro to install another furnace he picked up at auction. The installer informed me we don't have a fresh air exchanger. Still don't.

The solution about the racoons has been "I'm gonna pour a bunch of ammonia up there then seal it off."

My friend that works in the same building, under the racoons, is immuno compromised, and is on medication that can cause lung infections when mixed with animal feces and cigarette smoke.

I think it's time to give big O a call, but it sucks because I don't want to put my buddy out of work.

i would get the rest of your kit, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

interwhat posted:

Don't think of it as putting your buddy out of work, think of it as saving your buddy from death by ammonia fumes, raccoon poo poo, and flagrant hygiene violations while being ripped off in pay.