Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Militia for meat shield infantry is ok, especially if you are Lui Bei and addicted to those sweet low upkeeps. Lui Bei militia can take you a long long way, especially if you have skills to pump up their moral.

Maybe just mix in some better units depending on what you need. Melee and lance cav are great at killing generals and routing units. Higher their ranged units can get you 5x their cost in kills so maybe get some archers or xbows (just not repeating xbows, they suck).

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I decided to try out Warhammer II for the free weekend.

First thing I noticed is that you can rebind almost everything except one of the most important controls. You can't rebind free camera look away from middle click, not even to another mouse button. Middle click sucks to use regularly and with the ability to rebind controls, you should be able to rebind any of them. There's really no excuse for it not being an option. Also the forums make it seem like this is a widely desired feature that's been requested over and over for years and ignored.

Looks like I won't be buying the game after all.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Look I know Empire probably has the worst sieges in the series but to be fair, it's the worst of the series in drat near every respect save for setting, so that's not saying a lot.

It had easily the best naval battles. I also liked agents, trade and research in Empire. I'd play the poo poo out of Empire remade in 3K engine, even S2 one would be ok.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

First thing I noticed is that you can rebind almost everything except one of the most important controls. You can't rebind free camera look away from middle click, not even to another mouse button. Middle click sucks to use regularly and with the ability to rebind controls, you should be able to rebind any of them. There's really no excuse for it not being an option. Also the forums make it seem like this is a widely desired feature that's been requested over and over for years and ignored.

lol

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

GreatGreen posted:

:psyduck:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is he talking about how pressing down the middle mouse button lets you move the camera around, and how you should be able to rebind it?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Actually my middle mouse button has been on the fritz for the past week and I sympathize with this complaint 100%. It's the same in 3 kingdoms and it really sucks.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Qubee posted:

Is he talking about how pressing down the middle mouse button lets you move the camera around, and how you should be able to rebind it?

Yep.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ambushing is OP. And a full retinue of archers with a strategist in charge is OP for defending towns (not even cities). Just had two of Cao Cao's stupid armies smash against the flowing curtain of death arrows, won two heroic battles by choking up lanes in my town and peppering them.

Ambushing is great cause it let me wipe out an army with Liu Bei and suffer next to no losses, now he's beelining for Cao's territory to gently caress him up righteously.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
This talk of sieges makes me want to reinstall Shogun 2. Those multiplayer siege battles were the most fun I've ever had with a TW game, and is pretty high up in overall gaming experiences.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

GreatGreen posted:

Aren't there alternative controls to each camera movement, just not for the free mouselook? I think it's maybe a bit much complaining about that, especially considering none of the games before Medieval 2 had that, and it didn't make those games any worse. It's just one of those minor quality of life features.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Qubee posted:

Ambushing is OP. And a full retinue of archers with a strategist in charge is OP for defending towns (not even cities). Just had two of Cao Cao's stupid armies smash against the flowing curtain of death arrows, won two heroic battles by choking up lanes in my town and peppering them.

Ambushing is great cause it let me wipe out an army with Liu Bei and suffer next to no losses, now he's beelining for Cao's territory to gently caress him up righteously.

ambushing gives an inherent penalty to morale for the ambushed, right?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Verviticus posted:

ambushing gives an inherent penalty to morale for the ambushed, right?

I'm not sure, but I know smashing into a column of men from front and back does wonders for destroying morale. I love the hammer and anvil tactic of keeping cavalry hidden in the treeline, and then charging my men into their side to force them to expose their backs, then driving a wedge of horses into a group of soldiers. They rout so quick.

I might just make an entirely militia army to ambush opposing armies. The only tricky thing with that is managing to figure out where the AI wants to go, and if it doesn't work, it'll suck going up against much tougher soldiers.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I don't understand the function of "leave alliance to form an empire".

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it turns the alliance members who vote positively into members of your empire, with you as the emperor. one of the major empire mechanics is that they tribute 90% of their taxes and then you keep 20% and dole the other 80% back out to them

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Verviticus posted:

it turns the alliance members who vote positively into members of your empire, with you as the emperor. one of the major empire mechanics is that they tribute 90% of their taxes and then you keep 20% and dole the other 80% back out to them

Which would be cool if I could ever get more than 1 faction to agree doing this with me.

In other news, after criminal amounts of playing this game I've finally broken the puzzle that is Gong Du's absolutely miserable starting position in OG-start date. Turns out the secret all along was to repose Ma Teng and then just sit in that stupid city for 10+ turns doing nothing. Any attempts to aggressively puth north or south too early just ends with getting flanked by Dong Min, Ma Teng, Han Sui or all three. Waiting those extra turns gives you the lee-way for all of them to start hating each other.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

You can use autohotkey to bind what you want to middle mouse button. It's a really good program for games that don't let you rebind certain actions.

I hate using middle mouse for anything important too.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

For the past few days modern TW games have just been crashing over and over, if not at the logo then shortly thereafter. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, verified, deleted folders to reinstall, changed hard drives, uninstalled and reinstalled the GPU drivers. With and without mods. Keeps crashing.

It runs on my old craptop without this issue, so I'm at my wits end. Any ideas?

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Arbite posted:

For the past few days modern TW games have just been crashing over and over, if not at the logo then shortly thereafter. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, verified, deleted folders to reinstall, changed hard drives, uninstalled and reinstalled the GPU drivers. With and without mods. Keeps crashing.

It runs on my old craptop without this issue, so I'm at my wits end. Any ideas?

Have you tried downgrading your graphics drivers?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boksi posted:

Have you tried downgrading your graphics drivers?

Yes, give this a shot. I seem to remember reading very recently that the latest Geforce drivers have been causing problems in a lot of games.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes, give this a shot. I seem to remember reading very recently that the latest Geforce drivers have been causing problems in a lot of games.

Sadly downgrading the drivers of Geforce and even the integrated graphics didn't do it, neither did running it only on integrated graphics from the nvidia control panel.

I also uninstalled the Geforce driver again and installed the one from March when things worked fine and it didn't make a difference.

Is there a way to track what's causing the crashes?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Arbite posted:

Sadly downgrading the drivers of Geforce and even the integrated graphics didn't do it, neither did running it only on integrated graphics from the nvidia control panel.

I also uninstalled the Geforce driver again and installed the one from March when things worked fine and it didn't make a difference.

Is there a way to track what's causing the crashes?

Did you use DDU to completely clear your Nvidia driver settings? I'd try that, just in case. Some games hate Nvidia's sharpening feature, for example, so it's good to begin with a clean slate.

My first guess would be another app that's interfering with something though. Something like RTSS, could be some weird issue with video/audio codecs causing some playback to crash, it's probably not it but it could be software that controls things like RGB lighting on your computer.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Thank you all for the help, it turns out my preferences.script file had deleted itself and copying another it got it to work when nothing else did.

Either that or the ram diagnostic scan. Anyway, thanks again.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1253685223382036481

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I think I finally got the hang of 3K. It took like 40 hours and a start guide though lol.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

skooma512 posted:

I think I finally got the hang of 3K. It took like 40 hours and a start guide though lol.

Brief synopsis of your findings? I'm playing as Liu Bei and have a vast swathe of land but my economy is poo poo (1,000 a turn) and I am only fielding one full army and 2 small armies. If I were to get into a war, I'd have my lands slowly chipped away and would be too slow and weak to properly rebuff any attacks.

I'm just spending the next 20 turns chilling and upgrading my economy so I can start fielding more armies. I want two that purely stay in home territory to garrison it, and two that go farther afield to raid / pillage / conquer.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Qubee posted:

Brief synopsis of your findings? I'm playing as Liu Bei and have a vast swathe of land but my economy is poo poo (1,000 a turn) and I am only fielding one full army and 2 small armies. If I were to get into a war, I'd have my lands slowly chipped away and would be too slow and weak to properly rebuff any attacks.

I'm just spending the next 20 turns chilling and upgrading my economy so I can start fielding more armies. I want two that purely stay in home territory to garrison it, and two that go farther afield to raid / pillage / conquer.

How much land do you have/what is your corruption at?

3k is kind of unique to TW in that it's the first where you don't nessecarily get stronger and more rich the more land you have. That plus the food city upgrade mechanic means you also don't want to be upgrading everything, even as an end game goal.

Lots of territory is pretty dumpy, and it's much better to have 3-4 big money making (or food making) commanderies than have it all spread out. The more land you have the greater your corruption is, and it can get pretty steep. Countering corruption can be done, but the buildings usually only effect adjacent lands (not faction wide), which lends itself to focusing on a few key areas.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Another big tip which isn't obvious if you're coming in from other TW's,

if you've got excess food, sell it through diplomacy. Work out trade deals with your neighbours, since a food trade deal is also effectively a 10 turn non-aggression pact.

I often find my early game economy is propped up by House Tyrell'ing around China.

I'd also say don't be afraid to sell items, especially common ones.

As a general tip, I'd also recommend not building cities larger than 5 until late game. It's the early/mid-game sweet spot of getting four building slots whilst also not completely tanking your food economy. You'll often see the AI building straight to 9/10 cities and thus always running out of food/coming under attack from Yellow Turban rebels.

Lastly, make sure you're optimising your regions. Food is the name of the game early on, but once you're stable, rework regions to make sure you're getting the most bonuses out of your minor settlements. Keep governors in mind when optimising as well, since they can really explode a region's economic/food production.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 29, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Also don't be afraid to just sell of excess land. A settlement making you 39 coin a turn can be sold for tons more easy.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

There's also some more gamey tricks, like if you're overall satisfaction is high you can start recruiting Lv. 4 generals for 500 gold, and then immediately banish them for 800-1,600 gold. Bonus if there's some items you can grab off them beforehand.

scolbert
Jan 12, 2012
Looking at that total war sale, are any of the historic total war games after shogun 2 really stand out? All I remember hearing about them was how broken rome 2 was on launch

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

3 Kingdoms is really good. Rome 2 is ok now. Smaller campaigns play better, because you can finish the campaign in reasonable time, and there's less trap choices in building and research.

Attila has setting I don't really enjoy, and it seem to get less attention from dev team than R2 did.

I've never played Thrones, because I'm tired of the setting. It doesn't seem to be a popular product here too.

Honestly, it would be hard to go to the older titles once I got into 3K, quality of life improvements are too noticeable. No naval battles too.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

scolbert posted:

Looking at that total war sale, are any of the historic total war games after shogun 2 really stand out? All I remember hearing about them was how broken rome 2 was on launch

Rome II got like almost 2 years of solid dev time after release, and it became a very good TW title with heaps of faction diversity and content if you like the time period (which most people do). The modding community is pretty big also so you can overhaul/tweak it however you like if you're into that.

Attila is fun as well, it can give you a very unique survival horror strategy experience if you play as the crumbling Western Empire. It's overall one of the most atmospheric TW titles and it takes some cues from the original Rome: TW in aesthetics. However, it also had some optimization issues last I played and it'll feel kinda drab if you don't like the 'end of the civilized world' period/aesthetic, with a lot of germanic factions fielding armies of hobos in potato sacks.

Also, unless you're a super history buff the Total Warhammer titles are amazing and they make it super hard to go back to the spearmanii vs spearmanii of the historical titles. Give me laser dinosaurs vs ratling guns and giant hamster wheels of death any day
E: oh poo poo I'm in the historical TW thread (thought it was a question in the Steam thread). My point still stands though :colbert:

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 29, 2020

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah I got 40 minutes into Shogun 2 before finding myself trapped on an island and completely lost on what to do next.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Shogun 2 is "play shimazu for your first campaign and push in one direction forever". Its how i got all my friends into total war.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Having trade points close to your ports doesn't hurt too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rome 2 and to a slightly lesser extent Atilla have a really overcomplicated building tree. Shogun 2 is honestly the simplest there's like 6 weapon types across 3 unit types and economy is just level 1 market+ farms where you don't care about recruitment and then leveled markets+metsuke in the best econ provinces

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah I got 40 minutes into Shogun 2 before finding myself trapped on an island and completely lost on what to do next.

Life as Chosokabe in a nutshell. Long story short, build some boats, slam a stack on them and invade the Shimazu to the west. Or if there are some easy target one/two province minors to the north, invade those and spread out from it. You just need to take a beachhead and work from there.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Honestly my biggest gripe about shogun 2 is that naval is a big deal but I suck at it and never have the money for ships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I think the various warhams have the simplest building trees. More was almost always better, but you had to pick your flavour of more.

Rome II wanted you to build a few big cities supported by mostly undeveloped agricultural and mining colonies.

Attila wanted you to eke out the best income possible with the constraint of always needing to prioritise food, in an environment where the food your farms produced was always falling. Unless you were in the SE of the map in which case you can just go nuts, or the Huns in which case why the gently caress do you care, you’re supposed to be driving your enemies before you and making concubines of their women and daughters.

ToB was some weird hybrid that I never understood and still don’t.

3K has a good economy, which I see as a development of Rome II’s. You can support a limited number of wealthy cities off the back of developing your agriculture, but there is limited agriculture available so if you want to expand you need to balance taking rich provinces with taking fertile ones, or you will overextend. Although if you do you can maybe fix that short term by being more aggressive. Etc etc.

The other interesting issue with the strat layer is how you treat rebellions. City builder types (like me) tend to see them as an annoying distraction from focusing on internal development. Better players than I - Yukitsu is a good example from the Rome II days - tend to see them as free XP to train your second tier generals.