Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What kind of spider is this? Is it spider friend or spider foe? Most of the spiders I see are the more spindley kind but this one is pretty fluffy. Found it in my room and chased it out into the garage before I got scared at it rearing up at mehad to go do something else.

I live in southeastern PA in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a bit hard to tell, but did it look like this when it was stretched out?

If so, then there's a good chance that it was Hogna carolinensis, a common wolf spider that is found across large parts of North America. They're harmless, but they're active hunters and tend to wander around at night, so you can find them in unexpected places sometimes.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I have another, blurry photo but it does look a lot like that without the flash and scrunching up. Good to know it's just a fluffy spider friend. I'll let her do her thing so long as it's no where near my feet.

Thanks!!

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 22, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sankis posted:

I have another, blurry photo but it does look a lot like that without the flash and scrunching up. Good to know it's just a fluffy spider friend. I'll let her do her thing so long as it's no where near my feet.

Thanks!!

wolf spiders actively hunt all sorts of pests, and they don't make webs, so they're very cleanly spiders to have around. sure they might wander into your room, but that's probably them hunting something in your room, so just think of them doing you a favor and exterminating something you didn't know was hanging out in your stuff. plus they're very good mommies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f10k7lNvYq8&hd=1

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Wolf spiders in general aren't really adapted to indoor life and mostly only enter human homes by accident, so taking them back outside when you see them is really just doing them a favour. They'll usually either eventually starve or die of thirst if they can't find their way back outside or get themselves eaten by your resident house spiders.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I admittedly usually do that with spiders but I didn't want to do it when I first saw this one since it looked to be quite displeased by my presence. If I see it again in the garage I'll be sure to set it outside.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Cardiovorax posted:

It's some kind of weird law of nature that stinging insects get less annoying in direct proportion to how big they are. I've never even heard of someone actually getting stung by a hornet and bumblebees are practically flying teddy bears, too.

Generally agree on this but i have managed to get stung by both. Once by a bumblebee when i was sitting by my desk indoors and a bumblebee suddenly stung me in my thigh through the fabric of my jeans. An asian predatory wasp (Vespa vellutina) stung me once as well, hurt like a motherfucker. European hornets though, never stung me.

Spring is coming along nicely here in Sweden with plenty of critters turning up!

Encountered the infamous invasive harlequin ladybird

and just yesterday i found this chunky fella, larva of a goat moth (Cossus cossus).

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Chunky fella :swoon:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hey, I just found a web on my aloe vera, I disturbed it and boom, this little guy shot out:

I'm in Boston, MA and I'm mostly just curious what this is, if he's good or bad for the plant, and what kinda roommate it'll be like?

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 24, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
most spiders don't really harm the actual location they're in, just eat critters that happen to pass by or be in the area, so it's probably not a problem for it to be there

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Any ideas on what kind of moth this is?

Found in Oklahoma, about 1 cm long

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 24, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Checking in to see if "sad doot" was ever ID'd

Pick fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 24, 2020

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pick posted:

Checking in to see if "sad doot" was ever ID'd

Where did you drop discover said sad doot?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It was discovered outside Duluth MN in July around 2014 or something

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

joat mon posted:

That looks like a clothes moth.

If that's in your home I'm so sorry. The infestations are incredibly persistent and after 5 years and getting it professionally treated 8 times, it never, ever went away for more than a month or two before coming back. Cost me thousands in the amount of things I had to just get rid of completely.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sandwolf posted:

Hey, I just found a web on my aloe vera, I disturbed it and boom, this little guy shot out:

I'm in Boston, MA and I'm mostly just curious what this is, if he's good or bad for the plant, and what kinda roommate it'll be like?

Spiders are generally considered friends of plants except for probably very few exceptions. They eat bugs that like to eat plants.

As for roommate quality, in Boston you will not find any spiders that are harmful to you so you're good there. This one seems to want to make a web in a plant which means it'll probably not do a lot of wandering around your homestead anyway.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

joat mon posted:

I don't have any answers but does it have a long snout? That's interesting.

Here's a pretty extensive list of OK moths, if you want to have a look through them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Critterquest 2020: a pretty extensive list of OK moths

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I don't have any answers but does it have a long snout? That's interesting.

Here's a pretty extensive list of OK moths, if you want to have a look through them.

‘Snout moths’ are actually a thing; I assume this is one of them but there are hundreds in North America.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mak0rz posted:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Mak0rz posted:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Spiders are generally considered friends of plants except for probably very few exceptions. They eat bugs that like to eat plants.

As for roommate quality, in Boston you will not find any spiders that are harmful to you so you're good there. This one seems to want to make a web in a plant which means it'll probably not do a lot of wandering around your homestead anyway.

He ain't gonna pay their share of the rent though so good luck op

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

TontoCorazon posted:

He ain't gonna pay their share of the rent though so good luck op

he better throw in for utilities??

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Is this a pocket gopher?

He came out of his hole sniffing when I opened a granola bar. I didn't share though, I assume high fructose corn syrup is a bad for rodents.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

That's a yellow sac spider, they're venomous and can bite people, but the bite's not terribly dangerous just painful and itchy.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Skratte posted:

That's a yellow sac spider, they're venomous and can bite people, but the bite's not terribly dangerous just painful and itchy.

and the internet tells me they search for prey!

time to hit the skids, Pavel!!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Got a paper wasp nest right above the front door, about the size of a golf ball. It cool if I relocate them?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
An ok Callosamia promethea hatched from a wild cocoon and was released today.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

look at that chonky lil fluffbutt!!!! extremely ok indeed :kimchi:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
One of my fav species

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
few more critters I've run across lately:

Northern Water Snake.

Wee likkle Northern Water Snake

And a female Callosamia promethea. Same species as the black and tan fellow above

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Asiina posted:

That looks like a clothes moth.

You can tell by the corduroy patterns on the wings...if you get close enough you can smell a hint of patchouli

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Excuse the handling, but I had a bitch of a time getting this pretty lady into a position to make a good photo.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Love the markings on that one!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

PathAsc posted:

Love the markings on that one!
I've got a few more shots that show it off even better.

I really love the first one. It came out really beautifully, one of the best ones I ever made. You can see the abdominal pattern really well on the second, too.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I love how spider eyes reflect light even though they're so tiny.

I like spiders.

Sandwolf posted:

and the internet tells me they search for prey!

time to hit the skids, Pavel!!

When I lived in a few different basement apartments, they were always well populated with yellow sac spiders. Not once have I had one go anywhere near me. They mostly just hang out on the ceiling and nap in their little silky beds.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 29, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Spiders are pretty good.

Smile at the camera!

Plant MONSTER. posted:

When I lived in a few different basement apartments, they were always well populated with yellow sac spiders. Not once have I had one go anywhere near me. They mostly just hang out on the ceiling and nap in their little silky beds.
Well, you aren't prey, so they wouldn't search for you anyway.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 29, 2020

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The birds were having a conniption fit because this cool fella was hanging out directly under the feeder. It was insanely bright out so it was hard to get a good picture. Shortly after snapping the photo snake buddy got tired of being stared at by a big stupid ape thing and hauled rear end across the yard to climb a tree. I'm thinking it's an Eastern Rat Snake. Overall I'd say it was about 3 1/2 feet long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Definitely a ratsnake, exactly which one depends on where you are.

Cardiovorax, is that a hacklemesh weaver?