Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Godholio posted:

Chrysler's actual opinion.

no no that's the transmission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Really, what we should be saying is that modern assembly processes enable packaging like that.

Yeah, they let some integration engineer design a wiring harness with zero slack so it gets cut in half on a sharp edge of the engine casting. I had to splice about 6 wires in the main nervous system of my 2013 Focus at ~30,000 miles. It's a thing. Also forever gently caress Ford for the DPS6 in that turkey.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

And the chrome-plated aluminum mags that corrode internally so the wheels get porous. I mean, they're out there spinning around the whole time you are driving, why wouldn't they be a wear item?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dielectric posted:

Yeah, they let some integration engineer design a wiring harness with zero slack so it gets cut in half on a sharp edge of the engine casting. I had to splice about 6 wires in the main nervous system of my 2013 Focus at ~30,000 miles. It's a thing. Also forever gently caress Ford for the DPS6 in that turkey.

That should have been warrantied, there was a TSB at least on the FoST for the wiring harness.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That should have been warrantied, there was a TSB at least on the FoST for the wiring harness.

My local dealer was lovely and slow, and I wanted to get back on the road. I used the TSB instructions to figure out the issue and fix it my drat self. It's still terrible design practice and shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

Dielectric fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 28, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I like my new Toyota 86.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Frond posted:

I like my new Toyota 86.

post pics

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Twerk from Home posted:

There's an enormous volume of 4-door 6 seat pickup trucks with V8s for under $75K, and that is increasingly what middle class Americans choose to purchase as a main family vehicle.

I doubt the V8s will last much longer - just like in cars smaller boosted engines make more sense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dissss posted:

I doubt the V8s will last much longer - just like in cars smaller boosted engines make more sense.

Nah the eight will live on in half ton and heavy duty applications for sure. Ford just released a new big gas V8. I agree that for quarter ton dadmobiles that occasionally go to the cottage that turbo 6 and 4s make more sense.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Frond posted:

I like my new Toyota 86.

it seriously appeals to the part of me that really misses driving around in a tiny little tin can hatchback

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the hakone green one looks fuckin good in pictures. world needs more green cars.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

they look good in person too, it's a nicely proportioned car, even the old pre-refresh BRZ and FRS don't look ancient except for maybe the non-LED lights

plus the good Miata trim in Canada is like $40k which makes the Toyobaru look even better

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I love my BRZ. It's car, distilled. Quick enough, handles telepathically, direct in every response, very mechanical, and cheap to run, with no major chronic issues.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Given that even with the seat all the way back I barely fit in an ND I've idly considered the BRZ off and on, but never actually gone out to drive one due to the engine and interior quality; maybe I should, the SS really was too fast for the street

The Veloster N got me wanting a car from a brand I'd never have even considered an option before, I think I've just got a hankering for something really small and nimble after driving a truck for a couple years

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I swing the opposite direction. Drove the 86 and the BRZ and didnt care for them.
The ND on the other hand just felt right. I think Id have to get it convertible though. The blindspots on the RF kinda sucks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's probably both, but I'm going off my experience.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Plus BRZ's really are just a awesome blank canvass to modify

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
still annoyed that used brz prices havent hit 10k for decent examples

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Plus BRZ's really are just a awesome blank canvass to modify

Almost too good, like a Miata, and you end up spending shitloads to make it as good as car you probably should have just bought to begin with :v:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Dielectric posted:

Had a lease Focus for 2 years, dct clutch was shot by year 1. Crazy thing is Ford sold the same car with a TC automatic with the ecoboost 1 liter but perhaps substituting that transmission for the insanely troublesome dual clutch was just too much even though it turns out the engineers knew the thing was a lemon the whole time.

The 6F35 or whatever in my Fusion ain't that great either. For as long as I've been alive I don't think Ford has shipped a car with a class leading automatic transmission. I've been somewhat of a Ford lifer since I get family discounts but with them abandoning cars for the most part, I may finally break free.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Almost too good, like a Miata, and you end up spending shitloads to make it as good as car you probably should have just bought to begin with :v:

Savagegeese has a whole series of videos on modding his old FRS and that's the conclusion he comes to actually. Unless you enjoy wrenching and modding for the sake of itself, it's not worth it. If you're after performance on the track/autox you're better off starting with a different car and/or actually just dedicating that money to getting as much seat time to become a better driver in whatever you have (or driver's school)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

Had a lease Focus for 2 years, dct clutch was shot by year 1. Crazy thing is Ford sold the same car with a TC automatic with the ecoboost 1 liter but perhaps substituting that transmission for the insanely troublesome dual clutch was just too much even though it turns out the engineers knew the thing was a lemon the whole time.

The rest of the world got the 1.5 turbo with a conventional auto after the facelift - this was a perfectly okay combo and I don't get why they didn't sell it everywhere.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

dissss posted:

The rest of the world got the 1.5 turbo with a conventional auto after the facelift - this was a perfectly okay combo and I don't get why they didn't sell it everywhere.

What's real sad, I thought my Focus was a great car. It was my first hatchback, it was right-sized, it got amazing fuel economy and had a solidly engineered suspension, more than I was accustomed to anyways. When I saw the latest one I was dead set on having a new ST model with an actual manual transmission. But it seems the party is over.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

BraveUlysses posted:

still annoyed that used brz prices havent hit 10k for decent examples

There seems to be a price floor around 12k. An OK one with 90k miles brings 12, a nice one with 40k brings 14. Anything near 10k is a salvage title or totally clapped out. Hopefully the new one will push values down a bit on them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I disagree - for not a lot of money you can make it handle better than just about anything, give it an off the shelf power kit it's light enough it'll now be faster in a straight line. That's why they are really a modders dream, it's genuine cheap reward- it's an already great platform that responds soooooo well to upgrades. Want 350KW? Yeah you can do that without breaking bank and you're gonna go beat up much more expensive supercars.

If you REALLY spend money and/or time you get crazy rear end poo poo like a certain BRZ that gets mentioned around here now and then

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Wouldn't a Mustang or Camaro, even a turbo 4 model, be a much better platform to start with if you wanted to make a fast track car? The BRZ doesn't have particularly sophisticated suspension and can't fit a lot of tire.

idk it's a real question, i like small light cars and the BRZ seems really cool and fun, but nothing i know about it suggests that it'll ever be particularly fast

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Either Doug Demuro doesn't get it, or he is just being purposefully critical with lots of hyperbole to get clicks. Either way he's an idiot, he criticizes and pokes fun of the Avalon for being a grandpa mobile, them simultaneously rags on the TRD version for trying to be more sporty.

It's almost like you've only very recently began being critical of his content.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Wheeee posted:

Wouldn't a Mustang or Camaro, even a turbo 4 model, be a much better platform to start with if you wanted to make a fast track car? The BRZ doesn't have particularly sophisticated suspension and can't fit a lot of tire.

idk it's a real question, i like small light cars and the BRZ seems really cool and fun, but nothing i know about it suggests that it'll ever be particularly fast

You can't add lightness, a sawzall and some fiberglas fixes tire issues, the rear is almost sorted from a set of relocation brackets for one mounting point, and tire compound is infinitely more important than tire size.

You start to run into issues because you'll grenade gearboxes but if you just want a track car you're wrong for not just swapping a G-Force or Liberty's and if you get real frisky a 8.8" Ford or a Winters. It'd be a lot of work but it'd be bulletproof.

Then again at that point you may as well just buy a vintage FF or something, or whatever strokes your noodle for a specific SCCA class... Or a stock moto shifter. Probably more bang for the buck.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I rented a brand-new Grand Caravan for a pre-COVID road trip and the 6-speed transmission flared on gears 3 through 6 for the entire trip. I thought it was some sort of shift logic learning issue exacerbated by previous rentals until I rode in a slightly older GC that was pulling taxicab duty. The same damned flaring problems, but with sloppier shifts.

I've driven other Chrysler products and haven't had any issues with the 8-speed in the Ram, Durango or Challenger. The 6-speed in the GC just seems like a pile of poo poo that detracts from an otherwise serviceable vehicle. At least the Pacifica has the 8-speed unit.

Nonsense posted:

My brother borrowed a very new 2020 Silverado from work for a week, he boosted a stranded guy's truck one evening and for the rest of the week the truck wouldn't start. I guess the computer thingy got hosed when he boosted that guy's truck, because the battery could be boosted and work normally after and he was able to start and leave work with it, but when he tried to start it up the next day at home it always needed to be boosted to get started.

Tell him to get a good jump pack and let anyone who needs a jump use it instead.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That marks a good time to sing the praises of the GB40 I bought last year. My Volt's 12v battery left me stranded at home, so I ordered this thing since it's supposedly capable of jump starting a good size engine. Well it worked, the battery died again and this thing jumped the car no problem. I've also used it twice on my old 327, including this morning because I'm dumb and never leave the battery tender on it. So that's the first start since November, and it fired right up (once the fuel got where it needed to). I'm super impressed with these little lithium jumpers. I keep it in the little storage compartment in the Volt's trunk...my big old jumper pack wouldn't come close to fitting in there, and had a much lower rating.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Put a set of MCA coilovers and a bolt on power kit , the only way either of those two are getting close is a long straight - even if you match mod for mod. Handling begins when the the grip runs out and that is where an actual fast car is - skid pan numbers fall apart in the real world so I wouldnt worry about tyre sizes, it can accept enough for it's size. Like most Subaru chassis, you get it into the zone just after the grip is running out, you unlock another 20kph of high speed cornering. The BRZ is also light in ways you cant do in bigger V8's

I'd take a GC or GF8 first but that's a platform thats 20 years gone.. You arent getting that kind of light AWD and power again unless you AWD convert BRZ.

And otherwise? There is no way I'd go with a V8 Blunderbuss. I would be taking a page out of Jordan Cox' handbook and going either Integra or Civic. Small, light fantastic handling without reliance of grip, doesn't need 500 hp to be ridiculously fast, reliable. Laugh your rear end off as you feast on bigger and powerful cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah you don't need that much tire if you don't have that much mass or power being deployed

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

antimatt posted:

It's almost like you've only very recently began being critical of his content.

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic. I've never really had a problem with him, most of his videos are ok, but that one was deliberately over the top like he was trying to piss someone off at Toyota for some reason.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mental Hospitality posted:

The 6F35 or whatever in my Fusion ain't that great either. For as long as I've been alive I don't think Ford has shipped a car with a class leading automatic transmission. I've been somewhat of a Ford lifer since I get family discounts but with them abandoning cars for the most part, I may finally break free.
The 10A is pretty damned class leading, afaik.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ilkhan posted:

The 10A is pretty damned class leading, afaik.

Savagegeese said the transmission tuning is much better in the Chevys with the same transmission so it seems Ford can still screw things up.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic. I've never really had a problem with him, most of his videos are ok, but that one was deliberately over the top like he was trying to piss someone off at Toyota for some reason.

I think both can be true though? The Avalon can be an old man car and the Camry TRD can also be not sporty enough.

The Avalon is a big boat designed for comfort cruising. It's not sporty or 'fun'. By all accounts its a perfectly fine $35k to $45k semi-luxury cruiser.

The problem with the Camry (or Avalon) TRD is it exactly that it 'tries to be sporty' without really doing anything to do that other than adding plastic to the body. It doesn't actually make any concessions to 'sporty'. It doesn't adjust suspension stiffness from the base. It doesn't address the transmission which is adjusted for fuel economy. It's the same engine with the same output as the standard 6 cylinder.

What makes it worthy of being called a 'Toyota Racing Division' model when it still has all the same default handling and performance specs? It's purely a cosmetic change and Doug (and Savagegeese) is right for dinging it for that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Murgos posted:

The problem with the Camry (or Avalon) TRD is it exactly that it 'tries to be sporty' without really doing anything to do that other than adding plastic to the body. It doesn't actually make any concessions to 'sporty'. It doesn't adjust suspension stiffness from the base. It doesn't address the transmission which is adjusted for fuel economy. It's the same engine with the same output as the standard 6 cylinder.

What makes it worthy of being called a 'Toyota Racing Division' model when it still has all the same default handling and performance specs? It's purely a cosmetic change and Doug (and Savagegeese) is right for dinging it for that.

You're wrong, I already listed the suspension/tire/brake upgrades so i don't know what to tell you. It may be minor to some but who wants a balls to the wall performance Camry anyways? Nobody.

Savagegeese said all it needs is an LSD and it would be perfect for what it is, and Toyota can fix that if they want

And we already went over how the TRD badge hasn't had anything to do with real performance in a long time so it's par for the course

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 30, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TRD badge hasn't had anything to do with real performance in a long time so it's par for the course

Wrong!
The TRD badge allows my wife and I to perform the joke to each other as follows:

Point to a 'TRD Sport' badge and go 'lol turd sport'

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

dissss posted:

Savagegeese said the transmission tuning is much better in the Chevys with the same transmission so it seems Ford can still screw things up.

That's not surprising. When the Coyote was the new hotness I had a rental Mustang GT. The engine blew me away. The transmission was easily confused and spent half the time shifting unnecessarily as it tried to figure out how many gears it had and what they all did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Godholio posted:

That's not surprising. When the Coyote was the new hotness I had a rental Mustang GT. The engine blew me away. The transmission was easily confused and spent half the time shifting unnecessarily as it tried to figure out how many gears it had and what they all did.
The 6M in the MGT may not have been the best, but did the job just fine for me.

I will readily admit Ford and good transmissions don't go together very often.