Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Uh oh, looks like more and more voters are fed up with being shamed into supporting the lesser of two evils.

Genuine question for the Biden supporters ITT: What are you going to do when the shame stops working? What arguments do you have left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

is pepsi ok posted:

Uh oh, looks like more and more voters are fed up with being shamed into supporting the lesser of two evils.

Genuine question for the Biden supporters ITT: What are you going to do when the shame stops working? What arguments do you have left?

Genuine question for Biden supporters ITT: at what point do you start feeling shame? When you see every major woman's advocacy group in the country abandon their entire reason for existence to help Biden, at what point do you say that you can't be a part of this? How obvious and grotesque does this have to be before you finally plant your flag in the ground and say you can go no further, you will not degrade yourself any more by supporting this immoral campaign?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/politics/stacey-abrams-joe-biden-tara-reade-cnntv/index.html

lol someone is desperate for that VP spot.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

there are still people ITT who are excited at the prospect of her getting that spot lol

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pick posted:

Women's groups don't want to be in the crosshairs, it's not complicated

Yes, this is the fundamental problem: Criticizing authority threatens your own power.

If they speak up now, they run the very real risk of Biden cutting their public funding if he wins the presidency.

The hilarious part is, he's going to do it anyway as soon as he has to negotiate on a budget, so they are sacrificing their principles for nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkY88kvkdvU&t=4s

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Genuine question for Biden supporters ITT: at what point do you start feeling shame? When you see every major woman's advocacy group in the country abandon their entire reason for existence to help Biden, at what point do you say that you can't be a part of this? How obvious and grotesque does this have to be before you finally plant your flag in the ground and say you can go no further, you will not degrade yourself any more by supporting this immoral campaign?

i mean, no such thing as halfway crooks.

by the time these people had reconciled themselves to funding concentration camps to own the bros, what price a little rape apologia?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Women's groups don't want to be in the crosshairs, it's not complicated

Well hold on now, why would women's groups be put in the crosshairs by addressing Biden's rape allegations? I thought the Dems were supposed to be the progressive and feminist party.

It almost sounds like you're saying that they're actually just a bunch of cynical con artists who don't give a poo poo about helping the people they claim to represent.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yes, this is the fundamental problem: Criticizing authority threatens your own power.

If they speak up now, they run the very real risk of Biden cutting their public funding if he wins the presidency.

As far as I know, Emily's List and NARAL don't get any public funding.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Gripweed posted:

Final question for Biden supporters ITT: You do realize you have to do this for another 6 months minimum right, and the left will still not fall in line if he does win, and you will have to defend the actions of a man who is grossly senile and incompetent and openly doesn't give a poo poo about anyone who doesn't clear 6 figures, in probably the greatest national crisis the country has faced since the Civil War, with the rest of the country probably literally up in arms because their children cannot eat anymore because they have been unemployed for 6 months

All you are doing is replacing the Czar with Kerensky

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 29, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

evilweasel posted:

out of rage that their candidate did not win a fair primary that was held under rules he basically wrote

The second-place outsider candidate got to dictate the party's rules to be favorable to himself without any significant compromise to the victorious establishment?

Yeah that story makes perfect sense and doesn't require any further elaboration.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Which primary was the fair one?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the amount of panic over justin amash running versus say howie or ventura is extremely enlightening on who liberals think their allies are

and just how reliable they are lmfao
They really are re-running the 2016 election with a worse candidate. Amazing.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

who the gently caress is Justin Amash again?

I mean, I know he's some ancap fuckboy, but I've literally never heard of him before today. Why should anyone give a gently caress?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
remember, it's not about a woman getting raped, it's about who it is that did it

that's advocacy

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Venomous posted:

I mean, I know he's some ancap fuckboy, but I've literally never heard of him before today. Why should anyone give a gently caress?

He's the "principled Republican" guy who gets a lot of press for sometimes voting against Trump or making some mild criticism of him.

This is just his way of bumping up his fees on the lecture circuit, dude's career is toast.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Venomous posted:

About him running for president? No reason.

About the thousand panicked opinion pieces that are certain that he will act as a spoiler and grab all those decent Republicans who are just aching to vote for Biden Trump-lite?

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Feldegast42 posted:

Final question for Biden supporters ITT: You do realize you have to do this for another 6 months minimum right, and the left will still not fall in line if he does win, and you will have to defend the actions of a man who is grossly senile and incompetent and openly doesn't give a poo poo about anyone who doesn't clear 6 figures, in probably the greatest national crisis the country has faced since the Civil War, with the rest of the country probably literally up in arms because their children cannot eat anymore because they have been unemployed for 6 months

I think they will probably keep talking around it and focusing on whatever chance of winning they think he has regardless. When you’re a pragmatist the most important thing is to be technically correct at all times, even in the face of uncertainty.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/benyt/status/1255516332227006470

It's very cool that under every single tweet even mentioning Tara Reade you can find dozens if not hundreds of people calling her a liar, a plant, etc.

Just really warms the heart.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It is incredible that not only does Biden lie about climate science but how his supporters are lying and claiming that “every climate scientist” supports Biden.

This is exactly the anti-science impact on the Democratic Party that I fear. Biden isn’t even elected and people are just straight up making up their fantasies about the realities of climate and Biden’s climate policies.

Like the whole idea that “everyone agrees we’ve got to stop emitting now” flies in the face of Biden’s policy of drilling more Oil & Gas Wells, with literally no stop. Even Biden’s 2050 date doesn’t actually ban new gas wells if you can game the carbon credit system right.

Biden is running on a climate policy of “increasing emissions for the next few decades is OK” but his supporters are already lying and just pretending Biden is doing more.

This is how Democrats join Republicans as denialist parties.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

your whole post is just absolutely dogshit but this:

hoo buddy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You'll have to forgive him for thinking that whoever loses is actually the winner, he's a Democrat

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

RasperFat posted:

If you want to personally feel better about climate change, sure vote for Biden.

But if you actually give a poo poo about preventing hundreds of millions of deaths and a billion refugees, Biden is unacceptable and likely worse than Trump in the long run.

A Trump victory ensures we don’t do anything for four more years. A Biden victory ensures we don’t do anything for eight more years, minimum. Those four years are absolutely vital because we need sweeping change to have taken place by 2030, not 2050. It’s already going to be a herculean task to cut our emissions in half in 10 years. Doing it in 6 years seems nearly but not entirely impossible. Doing it in 2 years is logistically unfeasible. An impossibility.

I know this has been explained to you multiple times already, but you refuse to accept the truth that Biden will 100% lead to our planet burning. Another Trump victory means there’s only an 80-90% chance of reaching catastrophic carbon levels.

I don’t know about you, but I’ll take a 10% chance to prevent the apocalypse over a 0% chance.

So the logical solution is to vote for Trump then right?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

evilweasel posted:

i think this post basically sums up the argument over "is biden basically the same as trump"

2) does this argument strike you as worth debating? well, go ask any climate scientist anywhere. go ask anyone who has not invested their entirety of their worldview in Bernie or Bust, and is quite obviously trying to divert you to Bust (both for the country, the world, and everyone in it) out of rage that their candidate did not win a fair primary that was held under rules he basically wrote

nobody who genuinely cares about climate - as opposed to sticking it to the liberals - would reach that position.

and are a little bit angry that things did not work out for their revenge fantasy.

You keep getting extremely close to the salient point of "Trump actively destroying the environment is demonstrably worse than Biden passively ignoring it near term" and then veer off into your own projected assumption that everyone who disagrees (or thinks that the two will wind us up somewhere very similar long term) is a bitter Bernie supporter.

No, actually, people who genuinely care about the climate do not have any obligation to vote for Joe Biden just because the alternative is, as I've stated before, literally a cavalcade of Captain Planet villains. There's nothing in Joe Biden's plan (plan, the easy platitudinous part of the "doing something" process) that tells me he cares if I boil alive after he's long dead, because he doesn't. He's already surrounding himself with capitalist-apologists and industry-interested stooges. Capitalism has very little room at the "our planet is dying, what do we do?" table. It can't be a primary consideration in the decision-making because it's what got us into this mess. Sorry the coal miners and frackers are going to have to lose their jobs - maybe if healthcare wasn't tied to employment it would be less of a loving issue but the guy you're trying to get me to vote for seems really interested in letting private insurance keep people tethered to their jobs "if they like it".

So while you might want to continue barking up this tree, it's not exactly a compelling case for Biden that the only reason he is "better" for the planet is because his opponent is comically worse because I have no intention of voting for his opponent. If I actually thought the planet is dying, which I do, I would not enable someone who isn't all committed in the necessary way to stopping it because I will literally suffer for it later.

e: and I understand that you're arguing from the precipice of TRUMP OR BIDEN THAT'S IT. We have half a year to figure out something better. If the Democratic party can't manage that then oh loving well I guess. I will put my efforts behind literally anything else because putting in consent for a system that is killing me is insanity. Getting a third party their funding and voting for down ballots that actually believe in the crisis of climate change is significantly more productive. This is, of course, setting the absolutely disqualifying rape completely aside.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 29, 2020

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Democrats really shouldn't have put people in that Sophie's Choice, huh?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DeeplyConcerned posted:

In case you’re not aware, in America you don’t have to vote and you can even vote third party.

And if you’re going to do the whole “a vote for not-biden is a vote for trump” you have to explain why the converse isn’t true, “that a vote for not-trump is a vote for Biden”

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
Serious question: what does this mean for the feminist movement going forward? We are witnessing liberal feminism sacrifice all their principles to maintain their connections to the Democratic party and this craven hypocrisy is going to cause immense damage.

edit: lol joe biden killed #metoo

Carew fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 29, 2020

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Billy Beane:
Would you rather get one shot in the head or five in the chest and bleed to death?

Peter Brand:
Are those my only two options?

Maybe if the dumbfuck, sedated centrist dems didn't deliberately coalesce around a decomposing rapist we wouldn't be in this pickle?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Venomous posted:

He's the republican in the house that went independent and voted for impeaching Trump (even tho he agrees with at least 98% of what Trump does).

I thought for sure he'd run for reelection because there's a chance he could still stay elected as a third party, but hell if I can figure what he's thinking.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Liberal feminism has always been about increasing access to power by the privileged. Liberals have never cared about fixing the conditions that produce rape or the situations of the majority of women. They will always compromise with reactionaries on abortion bans because they know they'll always be able to buy them for their daughters. Biden supports the Hyde amendment.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Hello? Operator? My Speak-N-Say is broken, it seems to alternating between "Orange Drumpf" and "Vote Blue No Matter Who."

(This will be another go at voting for Gloria La Riva, who so happens to tick all the magical boxes, save 'conservative in practice; progressive in name' for the optics-afflicted.)

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

is pepsi ok posted:

Gripweed posted:

Feldegast42 posted:

i think you'll find that the answer is some variation of "i don't support biden, i'm just against trump."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If the argument is that Trump leads to four years before we can save the world and a 10% chance of stopping the apocalypse, and Biden eight and zero, then it follows that you should do everything in your power to support Trump, since there's a zero percent chance of anyone else winning currently, and we can't risk Biden doing so either.

I don't think it's a very good argument, though.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Rainbow Knight posted:

i think you'll find that the answer is some variation of "i don't support biden, i'm just against trump."

"so voting for a person is supporting them"

"yep"

"and voting for a rapist would be supporting that rapist"

"makes sense to me"

"and you would never support a rapist right"

"yep"

"so by voting for rapist joe biden you're supporting him"

"look buddy we gotta get the cheeto outta office"

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

RBA Starblade posted:

If the argument is that Trump leads to four years before we can save the world and a 10% chance of stopping the apocalypse, and Biden eight and zero, then it follows that you should do everything in your power to support Trump, since there's a zero percent chance of anyone else winning currently, and we can't risk Biden doing so either.

the argument i'm putting forth is that neither is the solution to the impending apocalypse either way so contributing a vote to them is essentially approving your eventual death when they replace your social security start date with a soylent green factory assignment because our barren planet can't support life in 30 years

But no, all joking aside, my argument is that asking climate scientists "WHICH ONE IS BETTER: BIDEN OR TRUMP" as if the answer weren't loaded by the question is disingenuous. And that, ultimately, climate isn't a compelling tenant of Joe Biden's presidency because he hasn't made it one. It's not particularly convincing to go "Well at least he's not completely opposed to action" because, again, this argument says nothing about Biden and everything about the extremely low bar set by Trump, whom I'm already committed to not voting for.

e: I'm also committed by a comedy forum promise to not vote for Joe Biden, which you may feel undermines this argument, but I've actually spent plenty of time evaluating Joe Biden as a potential leader of the country and decided he shouldn't be, either, if at all possible.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 29, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

It was always too late. From the moment the world failed to act 30 years ago, the die was cast. Look at how we solved the ozone layer hole in like a decade but never lifted a finger against climate change.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"yep"

"makes sense to me"

"yep"

The liberals I've talked to have all given some variation of "I need more information to be sure that Tara Reade is telling the truth. I don't know what it is and I feel bad for saying it, but I have to wait for something that will tell me for sure that Biden is a rapist."

I think it's genuine because they're very clear about being bothered by not knowing what they're waiting for, but it's basically cognitive dissonance from being trapped into voting for a rapist while believing that America is the freest, best country in the world and the democrats are good.

I think that's different from what republicans feel about voting for rapists, as they don't experience any cognitive dissonance and are happy to say that they believe their policy goals are worth ignoring past crimes and even enabling future crimes.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"yep"

"makes sense to me"

"yep"

i think you'll find that not voting is also support, and not voting for biden is a vote for trump. do you support trump, sir?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha Jesus Christ how did we get here

https://twitter.com/pop_arena/status/1255545902942449664?s=19

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Raskolnikov38 posted:

name a greater face turn than daou's. you can't

I don't believe him for a second but his current rhetoric is correct

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

So we smoothly switched from "Biden is senile, falling apart, and will possibly die before the election" to "Biden winning means he will serve the full two terms".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Xander77 posted:

So we smoothly switched from "Biden is senile, falling apart, and will possibly die before the election" to "Biden winning means he will serve the full two terms".

well the latter is unlikely since the idiot pledged to only serve a single term