Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Aquamarie posted:

My dad with COPD in the nursing home tested positive, so that's not great.

I'm so sorry. Hope he gets better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Going out to the movies is passe anyhow.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Riatsala posted:

I fuckin' knew this was coming. The studios are going to drop theatres right on their rear end the moment they think they can make just as much money through paid streaming rentals.

universal has a boner for bypassing theaters. they tried this twice in the past and theaters boycotted their films..so this is just business as usual for them, only they have a better excuse..

i think theaters will shut this whole poo poo down and universal will reverse course, but who knows!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

zer0spunk posted:

..maybe

If Regal and Cinemark rallies around AMC (and why wouldn't they, they are in the same boat) Universal is hosed..You can't make a billion dollars without theaters showing your films. Would those films make what they would strictly VOD? No clue but everyone seems to think nope.

If studios rally around universal, AMC is hosed. Can't play anything if you can't get films.

They both need each other, I expect them to walk this whole back.

AMC is owned by some chinese billionaire, universal/nbc has comcast money. They are both fine more or less, AMC maybe less so without bailouts cuz who the hell is going to a theater without a vaccine.

Entertaining as hell though. The letter AMC sent reads desperate as gently caress

The Chinese Wanda group doesn't own a majority stake anymore. Per Wikipedia it's 38% now with 28% owned by American private equity.

But good for Universal. I rented Trolls 2 even though I never would have gone to the theaters to see it just to support the VOD new release test. I would much prefer watching new releases at home than going to a theater.

I had AMC'S AList last year and while I saw a lot of movies I'd say about 75% of the time I was sitting next to some terrible person with no etiquette. Guy slapping his girlfriend 's butt all through MIB... Uncontrolled kid jumping on me during Godzilla... Girl who was so mad about Star Wars that she couldn't shut up complaining through the whole thing. I'm done with it. Even before covid I was thinking of stopping my subscription.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Wow, who would have thought that making access to content easier would cause sales to increase

Truly revolutionary... The game has changed forever... No one could have predicted this...

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Can't trump force the meat workers back to work just like Reagan did with the airline workers? Honest question I don't know the answer to, especially since a strong union was involved in that incident as well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It just came out a week or two ago that AMC was on the verge of bankruptcy, so I think this is more about survival than anything else

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

zer0spunk posted:

Did I miss a day when republicans all got together and decided "gently caress it lets go all in on being mustache-twirling cartoon villains?"

Yeah, it was 1964 when they nominated Goldwater

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Big Beef City posted:

*puts an arm around your shoulder and makes a giant, flourishing sweep of the other arm towards "The Entire Last Century"*

I get what he's saying though, since, oh 2016? they've been "saying the quiet part out loud." The GOP has happily been willing to trade poor and minority lives for marginal GDP increases for the last century, yes, but it's still a little surreal to hear them on TV braying about how patriotic it is to die for capitalism.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

cda posted:

Why was the chicken euthanized? To get to the Other Side.

Ok this was good.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

just realized cinco de mayo is going to be LIT this year lmao

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Can't wait for the Corona sales. Gonna stock up

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It just came out a week or two ago that AMC was on the verge of bankruptcy, so I think this is more about survival than anything else

I think they managed to get a credit line to survive a few more months.

But in any case bankruptcy for them is more likely to be Chapter 11 which would allow them to reduce debt and drop some bad leases. It wouldn't be a total shutdown.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Fenarisk posted:

Can't trump force the meat workers back to work just like Reagan did with the airline workers? Honest question I don't know the answer to, especially since a strong union was involved in that incident as well.

Not having meat isn't a national emergency. People can live on other food.
People refusing to go to work because of health concerns isn't an economic strike that the Taft-Hartley Act can regulate anyway.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

John_A_Tallon posted:

Not having meat isn't a national emergency. People can live on other food.

lmao people are going to revolt if they don't get their meat

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Andrast posted:

lmao people are going to revolt if they don't get their meat

They got plenty of reasons to revolt already. Good ones, even.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I love this dead gay civilization

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"No meat" is not even a forecasted problem. It's just "less meat".

Have your family each get a half a porkchop with dinner instead of a whole chop each. Once a week make a stir fry with tofu instead, keep eating meat the rest of the week. Wow gosh golly gee what a loving dystopian nightmare we're living in!!!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Chomp8645 posted:

Have your family each get a half a porkchop with dinner instead of a whole chop each. Once a week make a stir fry with tofu instead, keep eating meat the rest of the week. Wow gosh golly gee what a loving dystopian nightmare we're living in!!!

Actually its more like rich folks won't notice the difference and everyone else will pay higher prices.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If you can't eat meat 3 times a day you might as well be dead or a goddamn commie I tell you what

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Chomp8645 posted:

I can't recall who said it or where but someone in the WH said they'd never seen Trump eat a vegetable and honestly I think that sums up pretty well why he's blowing up this particular issue like it's a massive crisis.

(edit)

Source is "a source" and it was brought up originally in the context of how SOL he was going to be in India where beef in meals isn't a thing. https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/23/politics/donald-trump-india-beef-vegetarian/index.html

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 29, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, I have a decent amount of meat in my freezer in case I go to the store one day and they don't have any meat. I'm glad I stocked up my freezer instead of buying 50 lbs of rice and beans

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Your neighbors are made out of meat, I'm just sayin'

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Another Bill posted:

Actually its more like rich folks won't notice the difference and everyone else will pay higher prices.

Hey guess what: if the price of meat goes up, but you eat less meat, you won't have to spend more money!

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Chomp8645 posted:

Have your family each get a half a porkchop with dinner instead of a whole chop each. Once a week make a stir fry with tofu instead, keep eating meat the rest of the week.

*eye twitch*

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
A ton of Americans eat meat with every single meal. And the whole BACON OMG SHOVE IT IN MY GULLET thing.

It's pretty stupid. I eat meat all the time, I really like it, but I think I'll survive just fine with less meat.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
okay i GUESS i can choke down a pizza with no meat toppings on it if i HAVE to

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Blaise330 posted:

okay i GUESS i can choke down a pizza with no meat toppings on it if i HAVE to

Thank you for your sacrifice

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chomp8645 posted:

The terrorists won :(

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If this somehow kills industrial meat production while the rest of society remains more or less intact, well, sometimes eggs have to be broken

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Americans gonna start eating their pets before they give up that bacon

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

r u ready to WALK posted:

Americans gonna start eating their pets before they give up that bacon

Nah people like animals. Corona would be taken so seriously if it killed .01% of cats instead of 3% of humans. Instead...

Colonel Cancer posted:

Your neighbors are made out of meat, I'm just sayin'

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
FILL THE STREETS, with social distancing rules in effect.

GRILL THE MEATS.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Honking down a bunch of ground chuck in a toilet paper roll because I got affluenza.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Blaise330 posted:

Nah people like animals. Corona would be taken so seriously if it killed .01% of cats instead of 3% of humans. Instead...

Yeah if cat to human spread is a thing the US is hosed bc we won't even kill off feral cat colonies, neuter and release is like holy word

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chinatown posted:

FILL THE STREETS, with social distancing rules in effect.

GRILL THE MEATS.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Fenarisk posted:

You can't force people back to work who are too sick to even walk. The plants that have shut down did it not to be proactive, but because their workforce is literally too sick with the covid to do anything but lay in bed.

If they had done any sort of proactive measures beforehand, this likely wouldn't be nearly as bad.

But it's par for the course with this country doing everything the most dumbest way possible.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah that should be interesting to see how Trump forces people back to work. If they're really so hosed with all of their workers out sick, then like.... wtf are they supposed to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

shovelbum posted:

Yeah if cat to human spread is a thing the US is hosed bc we won't even kill off feral cat colonies, neuter and release is like holy word

shovelbum posted:

A species that Americans aren't willing to kill even when it's a pest

shovelbum posted:

We should kill feral colonies anyway bc they kill birds and poo poo and spread other diseases

shovelbum reminding us that we haven't talked about killing cats in a while