Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Zereth posted:

Bloodstained came out less than a year ago.
To be fair, every year from 2016-2020 has felt like at least 3-6 excruciating years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

To be fair, every year from 2016-2020 has felt like at least 3-6 excruciating years.
:hmmyes:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Azran posted:

The tutorial is egregiously bad and it's very much something they improved on as the series went forward. The siege tutorial in particular was very, very bad.
The tutorial for Medieval 2 is outright broken, and you can't complete it.

Personally, I gave up on Shogun 2 after trying to engage with naval warfare, which I could never figure out in any TW game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Xander77 posted:

The tutorial for Medieval 2 is outright broken, and you can't complete it.

Personally, I gave up on Shogun 2 after trying to engage with naval warfare, which I could never figure out in any TW game.

It's okay, CA never figured it out either. Either just get more botes than the enemy and autoresolve, or in Shogun 2, wait until you get botes with cannons. Otherwise, stay far, far away.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
On Chapter 7 of Yakuza 0, and I increasingly get the feeling that I may not finish it; the combat is fun, albeit repetitive, and the side stories usually strike just the right balance of gameplay-to-story without taking themselves too seriously, but it's just so loving long, with too many cutscenes and not enough variety in the gameplay. wish it were about half as long as it is

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

do more minigames

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Barry Convex posted:

On Chapter 7 of Yakuza 0, and I increasingly get the feeling that I may not finish it; the combat is fun, albeit repetitive, and the side stories usually strike just the right balance of gameplay-to-story without taking themselves too seriously, but it's just so loving long, with too many cutscenes and not enough variety in the gameplay. wish it were about half as long as it is

Yeah, I'd say Yakuza games in general often suffer from too many trash fights that aren't actually challenging. Apparently the "Goddess of Children Amulet" item is supposed to lower the number of times you get stopped on the street, but it's hard to see a difference. It's true of the minigames as well, stuff like Hostess Club tends to have too much gameplay between the story points in it.

Still an excellent game series everyone should play.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Rookersh posted:

Depends on what you care about.

Storywise the Clerics will always suck, the Beserkers kinda suck, and the Druggies suck but you can kill the sucky people and turn them into a great faction.

Gameplaywise, the Clerics focus on energy weapons/mechs ( which I never found great ), Beserkers handle magic ( which is generally ok ), and Druggies focus on drugs/guns/rocket launchers. All of which are laughably broken.

I went with Clerics because their armor had glowy bits.

Fashion for life.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Shogun total war 2 is free until the 1st.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gort posted:

Yeah, I'd say Yakuza games in general often suffer from too many trash fights that aren't actually challenging. Apparently the "Goddess of Children Amulet" item is supposed to lower the number of times you get stopped on the street, but it's hard to see a difference. It's true of the minigames as well, stuff like Hostess Club tends to have too much gameplay between the story points in it.

I've played Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1, and Kiwami 2, and I love them, but could not for the life of me tell you what the plot of these games is because all of the trash fight and minigame padding means that by the time I get to the next story beat I've forgotten what happened in the last one. When it's about the people in Kiryu's inner circle of relationships I generally get the gist of it but as soon as they start talking about yakuza clans and patriarchs and whatever the omi alliance is my eyes just glaze over and I can't remember who's betraying who or why. I think I need to print out a yakuza org chart and keep it on my desk for reference or something

Great series though, gonna get to 3 soon

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've played Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1, and Kiwami 2, and I love them, but could not for the life of me tell you what the plot of these games is because all of the trash fight and minigame padding means that by the time I get to the next story beat I've forgotten what happened in the last one. When it's about the people in Kiryu's inner circle of relationships I generally get the gist of it but as soon as they start talking about yakuza clans and patriarchs and whatever the omi alliance is my eyes just glaze over and I can't remember who's betraying who or why. I think I need to print out a yakuza org chart and keep it on my desk for reference or something

the game menus have those, as a matter of fact

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I liked Y0's plot. I still can't remember why Kiryu was framed though, it's really more about having a series of dramatic moments than the whole thing put together.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zereth posted:

Bloodstained came out less than a year ago.

It for sure feels like a very good game from 2016. I think that’s largely because of the visual design.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Also that. I’m tired. :smith:

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
Has anyone played Crypt of the Necrodancers before?

I was just browsing through Steam and this was part of the Buy Music to Your Ear bundle that caught my attention. I've been trying to find reviews and gameplay of this game but there aren't many out there and none of them seem to be able to explain adequately how the gameplay is like.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oxxidation posted:

the game menus have those, as a matter of fact
You also get a "just ignore any random encounters while walking around" ability about 33% of the way through.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

shoc77 posted:

I was just browsing through Steam and this was part of the Buy Music to Your Ear bundle that caught my attention. I've been trying to find reviews and gameplay of this game but there aren't many out there and none of them seem to be able to explain adequately how the gameplay is like.

It's a rhythm game roguelike. All your actions are done to the beat of the level's song, and when the song ends even if you haven't beaten the level you move on to the next one. It's pretty challenging, especially if you make the mistake of playing on mobile like I did, but definitely worth $5 or whatever it goes for on sale these days. Some of the tracks are great too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

shoc77 posted:

It's basically a quasi-realtime roguelite that is played like a rhythm game. Every level has a "beat" that is the frequency at which turns happen, although the game won't stand still if you refuse to move. Monsters move in particular patterns, which may either repeat in a given spot or chase you down or something like that, but it's always in tune to the beat. You move around the level, attacking monster, collecting treasure, etc. and if you manage to do it in time with the beat, you get an additional multiplier that increases the strength of your attacks and causes more drops. At the end of a given run, you are rewarded with the diamonds you collected and can use those to buy additional objects and tools that can drop in-game, as a metaprogression.

All in all, it's a very good fusion of top-down roguelite and rhythm game, it deserves its good reputation.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

shoc77 posted:

It’s a roguelite dungeon crawler with the twist that every move you make has to be timed to the beat of the soundtrack, meaning that when you find yourself in a hairy situation, you can’t stop and consider your options however long you want, you have to react NOW. Personally I think it’s fantastic, and it’s a fairly successful title, but it might not necessarily be everyone’s cup of tea.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gort posted:

I don't really mind the random battles in the streets, I mind that there's very little real gameplay to speak of outside the combat and that the cutscenes are ridiculously long in the main story missions. I just got to the part where the cabaret/hostess stuff is introduced, and that doesn't seem like it's going to be much fun based on the tutorial.

I'll stick with it for at least a bit longer, but eh. if the game were only 8-9 chapters rather than 17, none of this would be as much of an issue

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Barry Convex posted:

I don't really mind the random battles in the streets, I mind that there's very little real gameplay to speak of outside the combat and that the cutscenes are ridiculously long in the main story missions. I just got to the part where the cabaret/hostess stuff is introduced, and that doesn't seem like it's going to be much fun based on the tutorial.

:stonk:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

shoc77 posted:

I think it's a 10/10 game but the majority of people bounce off of it. It's got a brutal learning curve just because of how the game works (the game is incredibly fair and predictable and all of the game's difficulty comes from time pressure, but learning enemy patterns is tough) but for me it was totally worth it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's still in early access and rough around the edges but Polyball is a really good little Marble game. I think I like it more than Marble It Up. It was free a while ago too, not sure if it still is or not.

marble marble marble

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Steam sale incoming

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barry Convex posted:

I'll stick with it for at least a bit longer, but eh. if the game were only 8-9 chapters rather than 17, none of this would be as much of an issue

The tutorial has that problem that’s common in a lot of Japanese games, where the first few hours are slow as hell for no reason. Persona and Digimon Cyber Sleuth both introduced some fun stuff then hit the brakes and didn’t let you actually engage with it for 3 hours or so.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tryin not to get mad at video games any more but yeah if you don't like the hostess minigame then I don't know what to say frankly

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Tryin not to get mad at video games any more but yeah if you don't like the hostess minigame then I don't know what to say frankly

I guess this is where I ask what you find so enjoyable about it

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Barry Convex posted:

Yeah it fuckin sucks. That's right where I put it down for months too and then semi-recently decided to barrel through ONLY the story missions until it was finished. Still took like 3 nights due to tons of stupid cutscenes/wastes of player time. Finished at 28% completion and immediately uninstalled. If you decide to finish it, fights don't get harder, the enemies just start stunlocking you with gunshots. Buy a bunch of expensive healing drinks on each character and you'll be fine.

EDIT: It's not worth it unless you're hoping the later entries are better (which I have no idea yet).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The tutorial has that problem that’s common in a lot of Japanese games, where the first few hours are slow as hell for no reason. Persona and Digimon Cyber Sleuth both introduced some fun stuff then hit the brakes and didn’t let you actually engage with it for 3 hours or so.
I think the first boss in Yakuza 0 is the hardest, too, and that's 99% because you wont' be able to just fill your inventory with the best healing items you can buy before heading in.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

I hated the hostess minigame. Just skip it if you don't like it, you don't have to do 90% of the content in Yakuza 0 - the main story isn't that that long so I'm guessing you're doing too many side quests.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

It's like, scientifically designed to trigger the pleasure center of your brain; you perform simple tasks and are rewarded with an explosion of money that makes numbers go up

I'm mostly being facetious, obviously it's fine for people to like different things, I just like that minigame a lot. Also your reward for it at the end of the storyline is incredibly OP

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

No Wave posted:

I hated the hostess minigame. Just skip it if you don't like it, you don't have to do 90% of the content in Yakuza 0 - the main story isn't that that long so I'm guessing you're doing too many side quests.

I actually like the side stories better than the main story, tbh

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Most people do. But if you feel like the game is dragging it's probably better to do the main story.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
This page has some extremely cursed opinions about Yakuza 0 on it.

The game’s biggest sin is taking a long time to fully open up. You don’t have the “whole” game until you’ve unlocked the cabaret business minigame.

The game’s heart and soul is in the sidequests, the minigames, the experience of wandering the streets of Kamurocho. Those of you who are complaining about how hard it is to barrel through the story missions are making my head spin.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Not doing the side stuff in yakuza is like ordering a pizza with no toppings.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There's like 90 hours of side content in Yakuza 0 (some of which like the real estate stuff is unbelievably repetitive without cheating). There's no real reason to do all of it before the main storyline if you want to see things happen it's not going to disappear.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have four Yakuza games Sony has given me for free and I will never play any of them

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

If you're not enjoying the game, just stop playing it.

0 is probably the best in the whole series, so if that one isn't clicking for you then you're not going to enjoy any of the others. Personally, I found the plot really engaging and loved doing all the side content. The only part that dragged was waiting around for the real estate minigame's meters to fill up.

But like if you're checked out of the main plot and not enjoying the combat and don't want to slog through the side content... why are you still playing?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I tried playing 0 for a few hours and hated the combat tbh

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Begemot posted:

But like if you're checked out of the main plot and not enjoying the combat and don't want to slog through the side content... why are you still playing?
Literally the only reason I finished it is if a potentially later entry in the series isn't repetitive garbage and wouldn't miss out on any context. I like to play things in order too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

StrixNebulosa posted:

Good morning literally all I want to do is play this drat fishing game. It's so soothing but also deep enough and I enjoy making lures and what's that, I have AAA games installed calling for me? no, I must fish

Yeah, I've been playing a bunch of it too. Getting data out of the unexplored lakes or trying to catch contract fish feels like a little puzzle in figuring out what the drat fish wants. It's also surprisingly pretty in motion given how simple the graphics are.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's like, scientifically designed to trigger the pleasure center of your brain; you perform simple tasks and are rewarded with an explosion of money that makes numbers go up

I'm mostly being facetious, obviously it's fine for people to like different things, I just like that minigame a lot. Also your reward for it at the end of the storyline is incredibly OP

Yakuza's cabaret minigame is basically Diner Dash with perverts, and Diner Dash is a pretty well-proven formula