Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I've got a honer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

blarzgh posted:

I've got a honer

Rick har’d honer, You’re Honer

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Let's say I help my brother buy a house. It's valued at 200k but being short sold for 75k, he just can't get a mortgage. So I got one and signed a contract reselling it to him for the terms mirroring those of the mortgage. He's paid me back the part of the down payment I helped with and has made all the mortgage payments, first I passed the money along then he just started sending the checks directly.

Who's got equity?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Let's say I help my brother buy a house. It's valued at 200k but being short sold for 75k, he just can't get a mortgage. So I got one and signed a contract reselling it to him for the terms mirroring those of the mortgage. He's paid me back the part of the down payment I helped with and has made all the mortgage payments, first I passed the money along then he just started sending the checks directly.

Who's got equity?

This is why you should have lawyers draft your contracts.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ianal but when you say contract, hell can you just post the contract?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Nope. A lawyer did it though and there's no issues I just I don't know which of us technically holds equity and it's become relevant.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 28, 2020

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Who did the attorney represent

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Nevvy Z posted:

Who's got equity?

Hypothetically, I'm going to guess the bank, since they have the money, and they can foreclose because you sold your interest in the house, despite you still having the note with them. They don't want to be stuck with your promissory note, while a third party is squatting in the property secured by the mortgage.

Edit: Is the title of the contract you hypothetically signed with your brother a "rental agreement" or "lease" and does the bank hypothetically think it's your primary residence and not an investment property

Devor fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 28, 2020

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

EwokEntourage posted:

Who did the attorney represent

:thurman:

Fake edit: probably the bank

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Obviously, talk to an actual lawyer that you can hire for help. But if we want to spitball random guesses, here’s the pile of mess:

You probably committed mortgage fraud in getting the mortgage yourself by saying you were going to use it as a primary residence instead of selling it.

You probably also screwed everything up by just drafting a “mortgage” by which you mean the loan document (a “note”), i.e. a single document where he agreed to pay you, and not the actual pair of land instruments plus note that you really wanted-one note that reflects the loan (a piece of paper where you agree to give him money and he agrees to pay you back and he agrees that not paying means you can take the land back), one deed transferring title (typically a warranty deed or quitclaim deed), one mortgage/deed of trust that give the lender (here, you) the right to foreclose and take the property back if the borrower fails to pay (defaults on the note). Even though you’d think the mortgage/deed of trust is redundant with the terms of the note, there are reasons to have both, reasons which I forget here but I think involve enforceability. And making things easier on the county recorder and making it easier to sell/securitize the note.

You also probably screwed him by not making it explicit that him laying the bank pays down his debt to you, though a court might hand wave that.

So if you screwed this up the way I think you did, you never gave him the actual land. You still own it and he got hosed in the loan, and may be able to sue you to cancel the loan, but you can probably keep the land if you give his money back. But if the bank stops getting paid, it’s going to take the land back and sue you for whatever it doesn’t recover at the foreclosure auction. Any “equity” is entirely fictitious because foreclosure auctions never capture fair market price even though courts and legislatures pretend they do.

Going back to your question, if you actually did this all correct, and he owns the land and you recorded a lien junior to the bank’s lien, then he has the equity, it’s just there isn’t any equity there. The land has value (say, $100k) but it’s underwater because it is encumbered by more debt ($180k-the $80k to the bank for the 80% of the loan balance, then $100k to you for the down payment plus principal). If either loan is paid off, he’d have the equity of the house value, because you gave him the property as part of a property-done transaction. (Lol you didn’t)

E: phone posting typos are not getting fixed.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

Nope. A lawyer did it though and there's no issues I just I don't know which of us technically holds equity and it's become relevant.

I would suggest calling the lawyer who drafted the contract and paying them for an answer, since they’re already going to know the relevant info.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
I live in NJ. I have an old truck that does not have license plates. The cops sent me a letter saying I had 10 days to get plates before I get fined. The problem is that all of the DMVs are closed due to the pandemic. I would have done it already if they were open. There is no online option or anything. Would "literally can't do it" work as a defense? The letter said that if I didn't do it in time they would send me a summons to municipal court.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I live in NJ. I have an old truck that does not have license plates. The cops sent me a letter saying I had 10 days to get plates before I get fined. The problem is that all of the DMVs are closed due to the pandemic. I would have done it already if they were open. There is no online option or anything. Would "literally can't do it" work as a defense? The letter said that if I didn't do it in time they would send me a summons to municipal court.

I can't believe they have time for that poo poo right now. Cover it with tarp and how would they be able to tell if it has plates or even that it's a car?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Probably because he’s driving it

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Where exactly is the vehicle?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Wait you can drive without plates and not be impounded on the spot? poo poo, I could be saving so much at the tolls...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zero VGS posted:

Wait you can drive without plates and not be impounded on the spot? poo poo, I could be saving so much at the tolls...

Iowa gives you 30 days after buying a car to get it registered/plated, even under normal circumstances. And I don’t mean dealer tags or whatever, I mean actual zero plates, nothing. You do have to have the bill of sale with you, which is usually just a scrap of paper you and the guy you found on Craigslist signed with a date and definitely accurate price.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Bad Munki posted:

Iowa gives you 30 days after buying a car to get it registered/plated, even under normal circumstances. And I don’t mean dealer tags or whatever, I mean actual zero plates, nothing. You do have to have the bill of sale with you, which is usually just a scrap of paper you and the guy you found on Craigslist signed with a date and definitely accurate price.

So my buddy and I can keep selling two cars to each other every month and never need to get them registered? At least until we get into an accident and things go very badly. This seems really dumb.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Bad Munki posted:

Closest I've seen to that was buying a car in Boston you used to be able to go to the website for some other state, I think it was Arizona, and pay like $5 to print out a temporary 3-day paper license plate and stick it in the rear window. It wasn't really legal but it was confusing enough that cops never bothered me driving around with it. But so many out of state people did it that they added security in the site to prevent it.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Outrail posted:

So my buddy and I can keep selling two cars to each other every month and never need to get them registered? At least until we get into an accident and things go very badly. This seems really dumb.

Wouldn't the sale be taxed every time?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Hoshi posted:

Wouldn't the sale be taxed every time?

You can probably sell it for $1 and not pay any tax, especially if you check off that the odometer is a rollover.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I am not driving it because it doesn't run. It is in my driveway. I think a cop drove by and saw that there were no plates.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Check online and see if muni court is even open.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Check online and see if muni court is even open.

doesn't really matter if it's not, given that they can happily fine/whatever him in 6 months for doing something today

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I am not driving it because it doesn't run. It is in my driveway. I think a cop drove by and saw that there were no plates.

Does NJ not have a thing where you can change your car's registration to being "off the road"? I know in CA you can literally do this online.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My one friend who deals cars just has a drawer full of old plates he uses when driving cars around.

That’s probably not legal

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just to make sure, have you gone through all these steps to try and recover your account?

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6294825?hl=en

Yeah, it looks like they changed the recovery email, and entering previous passwords didn't help.

Volmarias posted:

Fwiw, have you tried the numbers at https://1800liveperson.com/google/

No phone support at all because of covid, but I don't know if they could have helped much anyways.

Luckily the gmail accounts weren't important to me. I changed my credit card number, but still got charged the monthly fees, probably because they couldn't verify I did not use the services or that I was hacked.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ChocNitty posted:

Yeah, it looks like they changed the recovery email, and entering previous passwords didn't help.

No phone support at all because of covid, but I don't know if they could have helped much anyways.

Luckily the gmail accounts weren't important to me. I changed my credit card number, but still got charged the monthly fees, probably because they couldn't verify I did not use the services or that I was hacked.

PM me or email me at my username @gmail.com please

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

My one friend who deals cars just has a drawer full of old plates he uses when driving cars around.

That’s probably not legal

If he's legitimately a dealer and it's his state's version of "dealer tags" he's fine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Motronic posted:

If he's legitimately a dealer and it's his state's version of "dealer tags" he's fine.

Haha no

It’s not that

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

I have never met or heard of a car dealer that I would describe as "legitimate."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

I have never met or heard of a car dealer that I would describe as "legitimate."

Good point. I was speaking only of state licensure and insurance.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I have a small question that involves copyright protections and maybe fair use? My mom runs a small (legal and incorporated) quilt shop on the side and has been pumping out tons of cloth masks lately, in particular, she made some for my brothers that have a picture of Link, Zelda, and that one with the orange hair from wind waker (the best Zelda). My brother's friends have shown a ton of interest in the masks and were wondering if she could make more with various other video games or cartoons and they would pay her back for the materials, time, and labor. How much trouble would she get in if she decides to churn out a bunch of them and sell them on her store? The fabric with the characters is easily available and I can't imagine other people haven't made for-sale quilts with the fabric before.

Also, a follow-up question: How are tons of Etsy stores getting away with selling homemade merchandise of various IP's? Is it different if its a "Commission"? Thanks!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Does NJ not have a thing where you can change your car's registration to being "off the road"? I know in CA you can literally do this online.

NJ DMV is not great. They maybe had real ID available for a day before shutting down. You can't do anything online without a piece of paper being mailed to you.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

You can probably sell it for $1 and not pay any tax, especially if you check off that the odometer is a rollover.

Most smarter DMVs will look at the value of the vehicle and assume it's worth close to bluebook the whole sell it for a dollar trick fails in NYS

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I have a small question that involves copyright protections and maybe fair use? My mom runs a small (legal and incorporated) quilt shop on the side and has been pumping out tons of cloth masks lately, in particular, she made some for my brothers that have a picture of Link, Zelda, and that one with the orange hair from wind waker (the best Zelda). My brother's friends have shown a ton of interest in the masks and were wondering if she could make more with various other video games or cartoons and they would pay her back for the materials, time, and labor. How much trouble would she get in if she decides to churn out a bunch of them and sell them on her store? The fabric with the characters is easily available and I can't imagine other people haven't made for-sale quilts with the fabric before.

Also, a follow-up question: How are tons of Etsy stores getting away with selling homemade merchandise of various IP's? Is it different if its a "Commission"? Thanks!

This is not a legal issue, in most ways: they get away with it either because they aren’t noticed or because they are noticed and the company either doesn’t give a poo poo about homemade poo poo or has one of the rare lawyers smart enough to recognize that sending a C&D to a person home-making Link mugs or whatever the gently caress would look incredibly bad.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

If she gets a Cease and Desist from the rights holder, she should stop immediately.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I think this has been discussed before, but are there cases in which attorney-client privilege actually belongs to the attorney and not the client?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BonerGhost posted:

I think this has been discussed before, but are there cases in which attorney-client privilege actually belongs to the attorney and not the client?

Magic 8 Ball says: Doubtful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The privilege attaches to documents which are communications which may be sought in discovery