Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Tell me more about those rolls

They were from this one: http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2015/03/no-knead-crusty-artisan-mini-loaves.html

I found the outside crust to be too hard on the bottom for them to be used as sandwich buns, good otherwise. Mini loaf is a better descriptor than a bun/roll.

Rolo posted:

Man I want to try those biscuits.

I got them from here: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/sour-cream-and-onion-biscuits

They were pretty easy, I'd highly recommend them. Great as a side for chili.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Tell me more about this thing you humans call "dough conditioner." I'm looking for something that can extend my bread a few more days so that I can go week-to-week with usable bread. My current bread goes to poo poo after four days. Now, I also do want to make supermarket buns so I want some softeners too, but I'd like to control that separately.

Edit: I don't need anything to help me work the dough and get the gluten going. I got... equipment for that.

You can buy commercial dough conditioner, they're all different formulations but having used three brands they seemed pretty similar. You can also add egg; it'll keep your bread a little longer. Personally I like starchy potato water (left over from boiling potatoes) or tangzhong, or both, in my doughs when I'm not going for a super crunchy hearth loaf. YMMV.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
After a few days I slice, freeze and toast.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I’m getting pretty comfortable with my boule game, though I rely on a brotform and ceramic pot for most of my success- are there good resources for baguettes and ciabatta style techniques out there anyone feels comfortable recommending?

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
After four weeks of babying, my sourdough starter has finally started to double! Any recommendations for a recipe for baby’s first sourdough bread recipe?

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
I've made a bunch of bread before but my wife hasn't, so we've jumped on the isolation sourdough bandwagon (also because she got me a local bakery's sourdough cookbook for Christmas) and made our first loaves over the lat two weeks.

Took a little fudging with our starters to get them going, but got them there in the end:

Hers is on the right. Mine looks wrong because I'm coeliac and trying to get a gluten free starter going. It smelt normal but had the texture of cheesecake until I found a tiny bit of gf baker's flour at the back of the pantry which fixed it right up.

As a side note, none of the supermarkets around me have restocked the flour aisle, and even gluten free flour has been flying off the shelves for the first time ever!

Her first loaf:

Second unbaked loaf:

And my first gf loaf:

No crumb shot for mine as it was totally undercooked even after popping it back in the oven (it browned up more than the above, that was after the first time the oven). Crust was good and cooked and the flavour was great, just definitely needs a longer bake.

Hers was pretty good for her first ever bake imo! Just needs a little more kneading/stretching to get a better crumb

Happy baking everyone!

X13Fen fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 27, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Staryberry posted:

After four weeks of babying, my sourdough starter has finally started to double! Any recommendations for a recipe for baby’s first sourdough bread recipe?

Does it mean anything if mine is doubling after a couple of days? I'm only using bread flour, but it already smells pretty strong.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
from my limited current experience that's an initial rise from bad bacteria, it'll smell really bad and then die down and then you enter the waiting phase

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Walrus posted:

from my limited current experience that's an initial rise from bad bacteria, it'll smell really bad and then die down and then you enter the waiting phase

This is exactly what happened/is happening to me. Insane growth and smell around day two, now I’m getting bubbles and a little clear hooch before feedings on day 6 but not much growth.

I’ve read that hooch is a sign that it’s hungry. Can anyone confirm?

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007

Staryberry posted:

https://foodgeek.dk/en/sourdough-bread-recipe-for-beginners/

This is the recipe I started with, there's also a couple of youtube videos I'd recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znv99QbfWGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eod5cUxAHRM

Also if anyone else had trouble getting a sourdough starter going, I had way more success starting with a bunch of raisins in sugar water than just flour and water.

https://thelocalpalate.com/recipes/how-to-make-sourdough-starter/

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The Walrus posted:

How bad? I was going to fry the discard in the morning.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bizarro Buddha posted:

Also if anyone else had trouble getting a sourdough starter going, I had way more success starting with a bunch of raisins in sugar water than just flour and water.

Just throwing a handful of raisins at the bottom of the starter and leaving them there for 2 or 3 feedings was enough to really help mine alon.g

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Bizarro Buddha posted:

https://foodgeek.dk/en/sourdough-bread-recipe-for-beginners/

This is the recipe I started with, there's also a couple of youtube videos I'd recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znv99QbfWGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eod5cUxAHRM

The raisin trick got me from a 25% rise to a 100% in about four days. It was magical!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I've baked quickbreads a fair bit in the past (I have a great family recipe for banana bread from overripe bananas) but never actual yeasted bread.

Tried a simple recipe last night, followed it exactly. My dough ended up really stiff, dense, and kinda dry? Like I could barely knead it or shape it. I know the yeast was working because I pitched it in warm water and it was bubbling merrily.

Next time I try bread I'm going to get a recipe by grams/weight instead of volume/cups so I can measure more precisely and calculate the % hydration. I'm a laboratory chemist so I should've just been doing that from the start :v:

What would cause a stiff, dense, dry dough, though? Not enough water?

edit: figured I'd include said banana bread recipe.

This is a very easy recipe that's a good way to use overripe bananas. Typically I toss overripe nanners in the freezer, then thaw them when I have a few to make a loaf or two of this bread.

You can add nuts, raisins, substitute flours to your heart's content, it's hard to gently caress up. I like to throw in chopped walnuts and substitute some oatmeal for flour.

The result is a very moist bread with a strong banana flavor.

Aunt Wilma's Banana Bread
3 overripe bananas, frozen ones work great
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp oil
1 egg

Combine dry ingredients. Open ends of bananas and squeeze erotically into bowl with dry stuff, the insides should just florp out. Whisk egg, then add eggs, oil, and vanilla and give 'er a good mixing. The batter will be pretty loose and sticky, that's okay.

Grease and flour 9x5 loaf pan, cook at 275 F for 45min to an hour. Bread is done when a knife inserted comes out clean.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 27, 2020

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does it mean anything if mine is doubling after a couple of days? I'm only using bread flour, but it already smells pretty strong.

I refreshed mine every twelve hours, so I was looking for it to double over that twelve hour period. It’s currently doubling and then collapsing a bit over a twelve hour period. My starter never smelled bad (though I know a lot do at some point) but over the last couple days, it has started to have a really sweet fizzy carbon dioxide smell. It’s a little like getting a strong whiff of warm seltzer water with bready tones to it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I slung a bunch of it and did a small feed of about 25g each flour and water, about 5 hours later I think it's almost doubled. It smells similar to yesterday but not so strong. I mean to do another small feed, probably without a discard, tonight, sound right?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Talk to me about pretzels. I want to make the best, most kick-rear end pretzels. Where should I look for a good recipe in the vein of the Pennsylvania Dutch style pretzels.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hard or soft pretzels?
Anyways this is a pretty good run down on hard pretzels.

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/pennsylvania-dutch-hard-pretzels

You'll need some food grade lye to make them completely authentic.

They go into the lye dipping procedure in that link.
They also mention baking baking soda at a low temp to akilize it but lye is the superior pretzel dip.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Soft, with a crispy bite to the crust.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

I slung a bunch of it and did a small feed of about 25g each flour and water, about 5 hours later I think it's almost doubled. It smells similar to yesterday but not so strong. I mean to do another small feed, probably without a discard, tonight, sound right?

Followup - it's now more than doubled in size about 7 hours later, don't think it's going back down yet. Smells bad-ish, bit sour, only slightly yeasty. I've moved it away from the radiator now but I don't think it was too warm. Wish I had a better frame of reference.

Should I discard at every feeding? I was going to just do it in the morning.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Getting happier with my starter, just need to work on timing and shaping. I also seem to always have a slightly burned bottom when cooking in the Dutch oven, any ideas? Maybe I'll put a stone under it next time and put the loaf in before I heat it.

What was left after the family had bacon sandwiches:

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

effika posted:

Yeah that works. I don't treat the offshoots (buds?) any different than the starter it came from. Just make sure it is recently fed and is growing fast before giving if the person is not experienced with sourdough.

Thanks. This appears to have worked. Both the offshoot and my original starter both appeared dormant with no activity after sitting at room temperature overnight. I fed both again this morning and rehoused it in the cool oven with the light on and both started rising. I'm going to check in on it in the afternoon but since the original starter came from a starter kit I'm going to assume both batches are capable of refeeding to keep the cycle going to make more sourdough unless that sounds off. Previously I just pulled my original starter from the refrigerator once a week or two to feed it but I'm reading now that that's not the ideal way to keep starter cultivated.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hey so all the recipes I use in FWSY I think call for mainly AP flour.

I’m about to bite the bullet on 50 lbs of bread flour (KASL) because I make pizza once a week and supplies are low.

Could I use that in lieu of AP flour? I think the hydration would just need adjusted right?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

large hands posted:

Getting happier with my starter, just need to work on timing and shaping. I also seem to always have a slightly burned bottom when cooking in the Dutch oven, any ideas? Maybe I'll put a stone under it next time and put the loaf in before I heat it.

Even just a baking pan on the rack below dutch oven might be enough to stop the bottom from burning while doing everything else the same (i.e., still pre-heat the dutch oven). It works for me.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Splinter posted:

Even just a baking pan on the rack below dutch oven might be enough to stop the bottom from burning while doing everything else the same (i.e., still pre-heat the dutch oven). It works for me.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Do you guys with fans/convection bother with them?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Splinter posted:

Seconded, a baking pan under my Dutch oven hasn’t fully solved the burning when I make two small loaves out of a 500g(+150g starter) dough, but its been perfect for when I make one loaf from the full dough.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

nwin posted:

Hey so all the recipes I use in FWSY I think call for mainly AP flour.

I’m about to bite the bullet on 50 lbs of bread flour (KASL) because I make pizza once a week and supplies are low.

Could I use that in lieu of AP flour? I think the hydration would just need adjusted right?

I use high gluten in place of AP frequently in bread and bread-like things. Just mess with the hydration and knead it enough until it feels right.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
My partner requested specifically focaccia with potatoes and rosemary so I improvised on Samin Nosrat's Ligurian recipe, parboiled thinly sliced potatoes for five minutes, let fully dry, then went to town.

Came out friggin' perfect.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Made some sourdough cinnamon buns with the king Arthur recipe, turned out great. Nice and moist, not too bready and a good tang

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I want to eat it all.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

blixa posted:

My partner requested specifically focaccia with potatoes and rosemary so I improvised on Samin Nosrat's Ligurian recipe, parboiled thinly sliced potatoes for five minutes, let fully dry, then went to town.

Nice work, stealing that!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

How much starter should I be maintaining? Everyone seems to say begin with 100g flour and 100g water, and either keep at that level or maybe a small increase by feeding without discarding on the first day. But I wanted a simple loaf recipe for my first and found this one which calls for 300g starter. definitely more than I see being talked about for actually making the starter, but I realize it's quite possible to increase your starter quickly. Is it just a case of discarding 200g-ish and feed that up to 300g the previous night or something?

Also: Most recipes seem to make two loaves, there's no reason I couldn't just halve the quantities right?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

How much starter should I be maintaining? Everyone seems to say begin with 100g flour and 100g water, and either keep at that level or maybe a small increase by feeding without discarding on the first day. But I wanted a simple loaf recipe for my first and found this one which calls for 300g starter. definitely more than I see being talked about for actually making the starter, but I realize it's quite possible to increase your starter quickly. Is it just a case of discarding 200g-ish and feed that up to 300g the previous night or something?

Also: Most recipes seem to make two loaves, there's no reason I couldn't just halve the quantities right?

The quantity doesn’t matter that much. Yes and yes to your other questions. That’s why quantity less crucial: just feed up to required amount.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Keep anywhere from 30g-300g of starter depending on how much you like baking with discard. Don't like baking with discard? Keep a smaller amount. (I have a recipe I like that takes 160g of discard, so I tend to keep enough starter on-hand to make that every weekend.)

If you need more starter, just build up to it in the feedings leading up to bake day. I find my sourdough starter works best with 2-3 days of room temp feedings prior to using it as the only leavening agent, and in that time I just increase the quantities I am feeding until I have enough for the recipe.

And yep, just halve/multiply as needed to get the number of loaves you want. If you get into recipes with baker's percentages (or bother to calculate it on your own) you can make any size and quantity of loaves you want with a little bit of math!

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Followup - it's now more than doubled in size about 7 hours later, don't think it's going back down yet. Smells bad-ish, bit sour, only slightly yeasty. I've moved it away from the radiator now but I don't think it was too warm. Wish I had a better frame of reference.

Should I discard at every feeding? I was going to just do it in the morning.

I had a hard time getting mine going at first. I ended up adding a bit of whole grain organic rye flower for several feedings in a row and that seems to have kick started it. Smells like a slightly fruity slightly funky sour beer now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

blixa posted:

Gorgeous.

Posted in the bread or die, but I added a couple of eggs to my standard dough and made a sloppy sourdough pepper loaf. It smells so friggin’ good.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh poo poo. Proper sourdough happened.

I used this recipe that someone here suggested only skipping the bowl with the ridges because I don’t have one. https://foodbodsourdough.com/the-process/

I used her cold pot baking idea so I just threw it right in there for the long rise in the fridge.

Came out great. Nice and sour. I might have over folded it? It was suuuper soft and fluffy, think the consistency of a really soft baguette. Still great.

Next up: trying to make sourdough brötchen.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Looks delicious, was your bottom kind of hard and a little burned in the middle like my last one?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That is a beautiful loaf, Cyrano. I'm envious; I haven't gotten my technique right to get voids in the crumb yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That is a beautiful loaf, Cyrano. I'm envious; I haven't gotten my technique right to get voids in the crumb yet.

Man I stumbled backwards into this. I’ll take credit for getting it right after I do another five like that.

large hands posted:

Looks delicious, was your bottom kind of hard and a little burned in the middle like my last one?

It was darker in the middle but not hard. I know what you’re taking about though. Try that cold vessel baking technique. It seems to really, really help with a nice crust.