Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

DeathChicken posted:

Jericho had a match against...someone (I've forgotten who) where he was supposed to win, decided that didn't make sense to him and decided on the fly to lose instead.
I remember a story about Jericho asking Shelton Benjamin "Wanna be IC champion?" during their match at Taboo Tuesday 2004 and them improvising a new finish where Benjamin wins with the T-bone suplex.

On a related note, I'm pretty sure this was also the match where Jericho misheard Benjamin's finisher as "Beeboo Crawshanks" and had no idea what that was, so he just did a flying nothing off the top to set up the finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
This is the Jericho getting DQ'd because Pac got hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eucgk_Zw7j0

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Tweak posted:

Are there many notable instances of a wrestler going into business for themselves and changing the out come of their match in some way, instead of what was booked? I know of wrestlers deliberately removing themselves in battle royals they werent going to win, people forgetting to kick out, or promoter driven screwjobs, but have many people just decided to burn every bridge they have with a promotion and go against the booker in ring?

Hulk Hogan was originally supposed to be eliminated clean by the Giant at the first World War 3 where Savage won the title in "the biggest match ever." However, he decided mid-match that he'd rather be illegally eliminated and communicated it to the refs, and that's why Hogan ends up completely trashing Macho's celebration of his first WCW World title win for like ten minutes.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Doc M posted:

I remember a story about Jericho asking Shelton Benjamin "Wanna be IC champion?" during their match at Taboo Tuesday 2004 and them improvising a new finish where Benjamin wins with the T-bone suplex.

On a related note, I'm pretty sure this was also the match where Jericho misheard Benjamin's finisher as "Beeboo Crawshanks" and had no idea what that was, so he just did a flying nothing off the top to set up the finish.
I looked it up in Jericho's second book, and two bits (at least in the telling there) that I know I always forget/didn't know

1) At least in the second Jericho book, the decision for Shelton to win was Vince's/the bookers
2) The person muttering is Mike Chioda, not Shelton Benjamin

quote:

I went to the ring with absolutely no idea who I’d be facing for the title. Then a drumroll played and the results of the vote were put up on the Tron. Shelton’s music played and the crowd got to their feet, excited that he had won the election. Shelton was really getting over at the time and his offense and leaping ability were among the best I’d ever seen.

Incidentally, I hadn’t been told the finish beforehand either, and after a few seconds referee Mike Chioda told me that Vince wanted Shelton to go over with his finish. That was fine with me, but I’d never worked with Shelton before and had no idea what his finish even was. I whispered, “Okay, but what’s his finish?”

Mike looked at me funny and I could tell he was getting more instructions over the IFB that was jammed in his ear. He finally looked up, his instructions complete, and mumbled, “Tawboww munchex.”

I couldn’t understand what the hell he said, and I asked him again. “Huh? What’s his finish?”

“Beeboo Crawtaints.”

“What is it?”

“Steve-O Rufinks.”

Chioda had a habit of mumbling instructions while in the ring so fans wouldn’t understand what he was saying, but now I couldn’t understand him either. At that point I had the most confused scowl on my face, and when I saw myself on the Tron, I wondered if Vince thought I had that look because I was pissed that I had to drop the title. In reality I was just trying to decipher Chioda’s mumbo-jumbo. When Shelton climbed into the ring, I told him he was winning the match with his finish. He had to suppress a smile as he heard what Vince wanted, and I hissed at him to stop grinning and tell me his finish already.

“T-bone suplex,” he whispered with an exultant look on his face.
A 2015 Talk is Jericho interview with Shelton confirms pretty much the same story.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Huh, I wonder where I got that "Wanna be the IC champion?" story from then. I'm reasonably sure I didn't make it up in my head.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Doc M posted:

Huh, I wonder where I got that "Wanna be the IC champion?" story from then. I'm reasonably sure I didn't make it up in my head.

I'm pretty sure I've heard the same thing but also no idea where I would've heard it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

There's a Mick Foley story from the Herb Abrams UWF where he was booked to go over Jimmy Snuka and really didn't want to because Snuka was his childhood favourite. So he and Snuka booked a double count-out for the finish.

In a lumberjack match.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Doc M posted:

Might be from Edge. The story goes that he was at a house show, scheduled to face IC champ Jeff Jarrett. He was already scheduled to lose to Jarrett at a PPV a couple of days later, so Pat Patterson decided, on a whim, to have him win the title at the house show, since he was going to lose to Jarrett later anyways.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Lance Storm also tells the story of how he was supposed to beat Teryr Funk, (I think even in Amarillo Texas), but they changed it based on crowd reaction. And because having an old man Terry Funk lose in his home town is stupid.

Lance did this later when he was brought into some local promotion. He was booked to win against one of their top guys, and mid-way through the match, Lance realized that he should lose the match, so he changed the finish. Apparently the promoter was appalled, thinking the local guy went into business for himself until Lance explained that no, he himself had changed the finish.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 28, 2020

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Tweak posted:

Are there many notable instances of a wrestler going into business for themselves and changing the out come of their match in some way, instead of what was booked? I know of wrestlers deliberately removing themselves in battle royals they werent going to win, people forgetting to kick out, or promoter driven screwjobs, but have many people just decided to burn every bridge they have with a promotion and go against the booker in ring?

I was just thinking about how Ali was told at the last minute Brock was going to win MitB, and what if in that moment instead of being dumbfounded on the ladder he just decided, “gently caress this” and grabbed the briefcase. The next night he’d obviously be forced to lose or have it taken away in some extremely humiliating fashion, then be ostracized backstage and never seen on camera again. But for that one brief moment, what a helluva middle finger to vince.
David Sammartino deciding on his own to do a quick submission job for Ron Shaw at the Spectrum because reasons probably fits here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kBectvqEYY

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

What is it with wrestling failsons called David

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

In fairness even if both guys had been good, those were HIGH mountains to climb.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has a ref botch ever been turned into a storyline or angle? The only major ref botch I can think of is Wes Adams and they just fired him instead.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Benne posted:

IIRC Sting was always booked to win and Bischoff just told him to immediately go home. But yeah, that was definitely a shoot pin.

Wow. Just watched the youtube of that and that really was a mess. Could've been a lot worse. I knew Jeff had problems, but never knew he headlined a PPV while high. What a freaking shame.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

jesus WEP posted:

David Von Erich was not the failure in that relationship

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Tweak posted:

One I've heard rumours about and seen once in person is shindy feds bringing in a respected vet to work a young guy with the vet booked to win. Somewhere around the finish the vet will "forget" to kick out at 3 to help make the rookie look good.

My favorite story is about this promoter who loved working the boys especially during championship matches and he had a sort wwe style set up with the show(producer passing info to the ref who would pass it to the wrestler). Biggest show of the year, baby face in his home town in the main event against the heel champ, booking sheet said heel was going over. In the finish the ref calls for the face to kick out, both wrestlers are confused as hell, ref isn't giving anymore info, champ figures promoter is working them so he calls for the face to give him his finisher and pin him. Face wins goes to the back and gets screamed at by the promoter for going into business for himself.
Turns out what happened was the producer mic picked up a fan screaming for the face to kick out lmao.

Benne posted:

Can't think of any examples off the type of my head, but in the old-timey days this was a big enough concern that promoters wanted their champion to be a tough shooter in case their opponents tried any funny stuff.

I remember my teacher once telling me if I ever had to defend a belt in another fed to always kick out at one in case of funny business.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Stanislaus Zbyszko and Wayne Munn is probably the most important double cross. Ed Lewis dropped the title to Wayne Munn, a star football player who wasn't a shooter to make him a big time attraction. Stanislaus Zbyszko double crossed Munn and then dropped the title to Joe Stecher who Lewis had frozen out of the world title.

Lewis would do something similar to Ed Don George in 1931, after the match started Lewis told him they could do things the easy way or the hard way and George agreed to just lose to Lewis.

But those two incidents would be why promoters wanted someone who could hold their own in the ring.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

People going into business for themselves happens. The Zbysco one mentioned above. Didn't Sexy Star shoot break someone's arm in a worked match? Also the time that tough enough kid tried to submit Kurt Angle on Smackdown.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Don’t forget the infamous shoot F5

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

People going into business for themselves happens. The Zbysco one mentioned above. Didn't Sexy Star shoot break someone's arm in a worked match? Also the time that tough enough kid tried to submit Kurt Angle on Smackdown.

That wasn't him going into business for himself that was him doing what they were told to do. They gassed out the trainees so Kurt could embarrass them not realizing what Puder was capable of.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

What (if any) are examples of a wrestler being reluctant/dubious about an angle/gimmick, agreeing to it despite reservations, and coming out of it going "I was wrong, that was great!"?

Mick Foley hated the Mankind gimmick before making some changes and being brain wormed by Vince into trying it. He talks about it in his first book,

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that danny was a real bag of goods

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

DeathChicken posted:

Jericho had a match against...someone (I've forgotten who) where he was supposed to win, decided that didn't make sense to him and decided on the fly to lose instead.

Are you thinking of the Jericho v Fandango Mania match? Jericho was always going to put Fandango over but they botched the original finish so Jericho called for an audible in the ring, and Fandango won by roll up.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Don’t forget the infamous shoot F5

wait what, I haven't heard about this one.

also one of the best ref moments has to be the audible thrown after that one Royal Rumble where Batista and Cena drew and then Vince huffed out and blew both his quads.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
have there been more successful amateur wrestlers or successful football players in the American pro wrestling?*

*Counting "successful" as having a real run in a major company/territory

I always hear about how hard it is for amateurs to adapt but there sure do seem to be a lot of them that have

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Low Desert Punk posted:

have there been more successful amateur wrestlers or successful football players in the American pro wrestling?*

*Counting "successful" as having a real run in a major company/territory

I always hear about how hard it is for amateurs to adapt but there sure do seem to be a lot of them that have

It was pretty common to see important football players successfully transitioning into wrestling from the territories days with with the likes of Ernie Ladd, Bronko Nagurski, Wahoo McDaniel and others.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Goldberg is probably the most successful, right? He played somewhere in the NFL for a little bit, didn't he?

There's also Ron Simmons and Lex Luger, but I think Goldberg is maybe the most successful ex-football guy in modern times. I could be completely whiffing on someone else, though, because I don't know poo poo about football or football history.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it depends how you define a football guy, because the Rock played in the CFL and a bunch of guys (most notably Roman) were good/great players in college

but if we're talking NFL only then yeah it's Goldberg

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you're defining successful football player as pro, then the field gets a lot narrower. There are definitely way more college football guys than amateur wrestlers in the business.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

That wasn't him going into business for himself that was him doing what they were told to do. They gassed out the trainees so Kurt could embarrass them not realizing what Puder was capable of.

I think I may have asked this before, but was Puder at all aware of what was about to happen in that Rumble match? He comes out all smiles as though he hasn’t a loving clue.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If we're stretching the definition, The Rock was on the Calgary Stampeders practice team.

EDIT: Someone already said this, never mind.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

it depends how you define a football guy, because the Rock played in the CFL and a bunch of guys (most notably Roman) were good/great players in college

but if we're talking NFL only then yeah it's Goldberg

Not only that but West Texas State used to be a wrestling factory. Terry Funk, Dory Funk Jr, Ted Dibiase, Tito Santana, Stan Hansen, and Wahoo McDaniel played there.

Its pretty rare now. Only modern active guy I know of who played college football is Colt Cabana.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 29, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not only that but West Texas State used to be a wrestling factory. Terry Funk, Dory Funk Jr, Ted Dibiase, Tito Santana, Stan Hansen, and Wahoo McDaniel played there.

Its pretty rare now. Only modern active guy I know of who played college football is Colt Cabana.

Is Titus O'Neil still around? He played for UF.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

baron corbin briefly had an nfl job but was far too borderline to hold it after he started fighting people in training camp

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

harperdc posted:

wait what, I haven't heard about this one.

also one of the best ref moments has to be the audible thrown after that one Royal Rumble where Batista and Cena drew and then Vince huffed out and blew both his quads.

It’s a joke. During Brock and romans match at WrestleMania it somehow became a thing that Brock was pissed off and people referred to Brock using “shoot f5s” on Roman as evidence.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I don't know about the prevalence but I tend to prefer people with a wrestling background to people with a football background when it comes to pro wrestling.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't know about the prevalence but I tend to prefer people with a wrestling background to people with a football background when it comes to pro wrestling.

There are suplexes in football. I have seen gifs.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Also the hurdle, and concussions, though it's missing the swinging helmets at other peoples head

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Hirez posted:

Also the hurdle, and concussions, though it's missing the swinging helmets at other peoples head

Might I introduce you to Justice, Matthew from AIW Hell On Earth XV.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

When you're talking about football players who became wrestlers, there's only one that's the GOAT

https://twitter.com/JohnGjoni/status/1255507230192959490?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Moose had a pretty decent football career.