Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

prefect posted:

The part where Guardian's suit can make him stop moving relative to Earth's rotation seems like it would require some crazy physics.

Pfft, that's basically just super speed. Earth rotates around 1,000 MPH so that's not even Quicksilver speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

Pfft, that's basically just super speed. Earth rotates around 1,000 MPH so that's not even Quicksilver speed.

If he's way up north in Canada, it's much slower. I don't know if that was ever shown.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lobok posted:

In exactly one direction, ever, though. That's the shittiest super speed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cleretic posted:

It's one of those "I wouldn't complain if I had it but it's not very good" powers.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

And filming money

A Vancouverite superhero who's power is to not-quite resemble anyone—good enough to fool most people if they aren't paying attention, but people who know him immediately pick up who he is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cleretic posted:

The name? Latitude! And I've got attitude! The closer I get to the equator the faster I go, and pal, we're at 9° so you're about to see some serious $#!† !

Wait no, come back! Go that way! Aww

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Push El Burrito posted:

They kept baby Magneto in a cell. It's a baby jail.

Then later on Magneto captures the x-men and locks them in baby chairs so they can suffer as he did:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
X-Men living the best lives ever and they hate it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Blue Beetle #3 (1940)

Haunt of Fear #4 (1950)

House of Mystery #14 (1953)

House of Secrets #10 (1958)

The Silver Surfer #18 (1970)

Blue Devil #2 (1984)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I love that everyone, even monsters, had to wear tiny little trunks back in the old days. It led to Fin Fang Foom's pants in Nextwave.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kalli posted:

Then later on Magneto captures the x-men and locks them in baby chairs so they can suffer as he did:

Draft script of The Matrix lookin' good.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Saoshyant posted:

Peter tries to get a new job:

"hey spider-man can you stop fighting crime for a second, i'm interviewing someone for a generic job in the middle of traffic and it's really important. so anyway parker: why DO you want to work for generic co?"

also, hawkeye, don't be a dick, thor can afford his own glasses.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bane is a romantic

Nova is president material

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

"The ultimate product of Canadian technology"

Hey we built the least broken part of the space shuttle program.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You know, early Blue Devil wasn't great, but it was Good Enough.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

You like late Blue Devil instead?

The first year is a fun book.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Random Stranger posted:

You like late Blue Devil instead?

The first year is a fun book.

Ehhh not as much a fan. I liked Blue Devil as a kid (yes I was alive when it originally published) but the more it leaned into the hell stuff the less I liked it.

Edit-whoops missed your point entirely. Yes I like the earlier stuff better, despite the warts of the time period

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Scaramouche posted:

Blue Devil was my favorite comic as a kid. I have an entire collection of the first series. The whole technology and supernatural thing was kinda new at the time.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Karate Baka Isekai chapter 1

For context: a man who loves karate dies and goes to a fantasy world. This is how he dies: fighting a car

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 29, 2020

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

Ehhh not as much a fan. I liked Blue Devil as a kid (yes I was alive when it originally published) but the more it leaned into the hell stuff the less I liked it.

Edit-whoops missed your point entirely. Yes I like the earlier stuff better, despite the warts of the time period

I enjoyed BD myself, but like too many humorous comics (looking at you, Justice League), it got sillier and more sitcom-ish as it went on. Still, silly was better than the grimdark stuff they did with BD during the Day of Judgment/Shadowpact era.

(And Paris Cullins was a great artist.)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

For context: a man who loves karate dies and goes to a fantasy world. This is how he dies: fighting a car

The fact that the name of this comic is literally "Karate Idiot Fantasy World" charms me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

drat this makes me want a baki isekai

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

thetoughestbean posted:

It's always a truck isn't it.

From Isekai Shikkaku

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

'Truck-kun' being the preferred way to send heros on their isekai adventure is as much of a trope, as it is a meme.

So what happens if you make a series about the driver of Truck-kun?

Series is Isekai Transporter

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

....Peter Sutcliffe, the Manga.

(If you are not from the UK, do not Google him. Just accept that this was an on point reference and move on. You don't want to know what he did.)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

The Question IRL posted:

....Peter Sutcliffe, the Manga.

(If you are not from the UK, do not Google him. Just accept that this was an on point reference and move on. You don't want to know what he did.)

Killer reference there

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Killer reference there

Literally

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

(click)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

quote:

Abdul Smith - an African-American shoeshine boy who received half a million dollars due to a bug in his bank's computer. He shrewdly multiplied that stake, returned it to the bank, and had a million dollars left.
Like that kid wouldn't have ended up in jail for the rest of his life when he tried to return the money, if he wasn't shot.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Like that kid wouldn't have ended up in jail for the rest of his life when he tried to return the money, if he wasn't shot.
Actually, the more unbelievable part is that the kid went into a stockbrokers' office, showed them his million dollars, and the stockbrokers invested the money for him instead of ripping him off.

Even more unbelievable is that they tried to reboot it.

(It ran six whole issues, everyone accidentally gets superpowers via nanites, and it ends with them buying the Teen Titans.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Oh well if this was under Prez's administration he obviously did something to the national chi to make this feasible. Under America's first teen President, many things are possible.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spy x Family

e: right to left

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Also, please note that the only way the writers could think of for a black kid to get that rich in the first place was a bank error. The other kids made their respective piles in oil, shipping, and movies, but ol' Token over there just got lucky.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

a kitten posted:

Spy x Family

e: right to left

Did they redraw that joke for Americans? Do the Japanese use the idiom "whole enchilada?"

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Did they redraw that joke for Americans? Do the Japanese use the idiom "whole enchilada?"

From the Spy X Family thread:

a kitten posted:

Something like this according to someone on reddit:

"In Japanese "Knowledge is power" is "chi wa chikara (da)", and Anya misheard it as "chiwawa chikara" which means something like "chihuahua-power/strength"(?)"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Evil Mastermind posted:

(It ran six whole issues, everyone accidentally gets superpowers via nanites, and it ends with them buying the Teen Titans.)

It had a counterpart that released at the same time, too, that was meant to be like the other side of the coin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Movement_(comics)

It ended up making it to twelve issues.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Selachian posted:

Also, please note that the only way the writers could think of for a black kid to get that rich in the first place was a bank error. The other kids made their respective piles in oil, shipping, and movies, but ol' Token over there just got lucky.

Reading the wiki it said he made money with wise stock investments after the initial error but then apparently his wise stock investment was to show some guys he had money and for them to invest it for him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Reading the wiki it said he made money with wise stock investments after the initial error but then apparently his wise stock investment was to show some guys he had money and for them to invest it for him.

That's so loving dumb. Couldn't just be that he learned how to pick stocks by shoe shining on Wallstreet or whatever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Me in an art supply store (at least it was, in the before times)

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1257112822221344768?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Evil Mastermind posted:

Actually, the more unbelievable part is that the kid went into a stockbrokers' office, showed them his million dollars, and the stockbrokers invested the money for him instead of ripping him off.

Meanwhile, in the late 1980s,