Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

RareAcumen posted:

You should've just gone to Any Town and showed them that they reuse NPCs a lot.

Dah-Vey is special with his pink mask!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Dave also has a little backstory from one of the bookcases in Lonalulu.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Dave is not a gimp wtf

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, he might be. it's just that you can't tell from his outfit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Absolutely agree that Sylvando just being an incredibly caring person who wants everybody to be happy is just lovely, and I'm so glad his initial appearance painting him as a kind of arrogant jerk full of his own self-importance quickly gets turned on its head.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Qylvaran posted:

Dave also has a little backstory from one of the bookcases in Lonalulu.

Yeah, I know that he's a character with a backstory, I'm just saying his look isn't that unique.

Jerusalem posted:

Absolutely agree that Sylvando just being an incredibly caring person who wants everybody to be happy is just lovely, and I'm so glad his initial appearance painting him as a kind of arrogant jerk full of his own self-importance quickly gets turned on its head.

I'm blanking, I remember him -shockingly- dropping his accent and saying 'Look, I just want to make sure the Prince doesn't go and lose his head taking on something too strong for him, can I join you?' what was his self-important switcheroo?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

From the moment he first appears he's in everybody's face, inviting himself along, acting like everything's a big joke and it comes across (or did to me) like he's looking down on everybody and thinks he's the most important person in the world and needs to be the center of attention all the time.

It quickly becomes apparent that he's just a showman and it suits the role he is playing, but that he takes vows of knighthood incredibly serious and doesn't like that the Prince is only paying lipservice to them and not living up to to the duties that are supposed to come with his privilege.. but he's also trying his best to encourage the Prince to improve himself as opposed to exposing him or forcing his views on him. Basically when he first showed up he irritated me and I wasn't pleased about him coming along for the ride, and by the end of the first Gallopolis-centric missions he'd already risen high in my estimation. I think it's a very deliberately done thing, since the game has Erik voice his disregard for Sylvando early on before getting to know him better.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why is this a series tradition by the way. Is there something culturally about craftsmen that Akira Toriyama would say "All craftsman are burly as gently caress and wear leather masks btw"

That's the generic thug appearance for a long time so using it for Dave is automatic backstory for anyone who is familiar with the series

Kinda owns

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shugojin posted:

That's the generic thug appearance for a long time so using it for Dave is automatic backstory for anyone who is familiar with the series

Kinda owns

See I didn't even realize it was a thug outfit because every time I've seen one it's a shop merchant

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a thug convention, a gimp convention and a weapon shop owner convention are accidentally scheduled for the same time and place. no one notices.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I think the main turning point for me was when sylv says he has a boat, you’re like ok sure, then at the most clutch moment he pulls up in it like “hop on fam”—I was like yeah this dude is a rider.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I honestly assumed he was just going to steal a boat but no, Sylv is just a great guy who owns a boat and wants to make people like life to the fullest.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

I honestly assumed he was just going to steal a boat but no, Sylv is just a great guy who owns a boat and wants to make people like life to the fullest.

He really is the best character. He's not my favorite (that's Veronica) but he's the best character. The stuff he does in Act 3 is incredible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The moment I loved Sylvando was when Veronica started picking up his speech mannerisms right before the boat rescue, so that tracks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So if you hit the dash button exactly as the countdown hits GO on the races in Gallopolis, you start the race at full sprint and take a massive lead that is pretty much unassailable so long as you don't slam into a bunch of the walls on cornering.

I only found this out when I got to the hard platinum race :cripes:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The best part of 11 is that every character is just so incredibly naturally noble and is just trying to do their best in a world that's at risk of being destroyed. It's a breath of fresh air in a genre of too many complications and twists and turns

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Credits rolled at 65 hours. Great game but ridiculously easy. 99% of the fights I just set everyone to fight wisely and watched. That was way faster than doing it on my own. After a certain point, the only times I interfered were to do Pep quests, ie: buff buff. The last bosses were done on auto-pilot.

I know there is a post game and I plan on going through it, but I'm amused by how stupidly easy the main part of the game was. Final boss on auto is a joke.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I know there is a post game and I plan on going through it, but I'm amused by how stupidly easy the main part of the game was. Final boss on auto is a joke.

Do what I did and go straight to The Strand in the postgame. I eventually won that encounter but boy was that an eyeopener after easily trouncing everything in the main-game.

Also "postgame" kinda undersells just how much story there is after you beat the final boss and get the credits. And by kinda, I mean completely.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Waltzing Along posted:

Credits rolled at 65 hours. Great game but ridiculously easy. 99% of the fights I just set everyone to fight wisely and watched. That was way faster than doing it on my own. After a certain point, the only times I interfered were to do Pep quests, ie: buff buff. The last bosses were done on auto-pilot.

This post is kind of the argument for turning on Super Hard Monsters.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

The "post game" is actually just more game.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Waltzing Along posted:

The final area (the one you've been through) was a huge difficulty spike for me, with several party wipes and some of the hardest bosses in the game. I wonder what was different about our experiences? I WAS playing on No Grinding mode, and was noticeably under the level cap by the end.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah, it was nice of them to include Dragon Quest 11-2 AND Dragon Quest 11-3 all in one game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

John Lee posted:

The final area (the one you've been through) was a huge difficulty spike for me, with several party wipes and some of the hardest bosses in the game. I wonder what was different about our experiences? I WAS playing on No Grinding mode, and was noticeably under the level cap by the end.

My party was 55-60 by the time I finished. The only grinding was earlier on when I did a dungeon I'd kill everything on the way to the boss. Eventually, I stopped doing that. Then I'd just kill every new enemy type I spotted to fill the pages of encounters.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah this. Credits rolling doesn't mean the game is over.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You don't get enough skill points at max level to fill out all your abilities :stare:
I'd just been casually using skill seeds throughout the game and didn't realize they're a huge pain in the rear end to farm, and I still need like 40 of them if I want everybody to complete their skill trees :negative:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That means you get to play the game more

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh don't get me wrong, I have no intention of stopping, I just wish I'd known ahead of time so I could have stockpiled them as I went along rather than having to get them all at once now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Jerusalem posted:

You don't get enough skill points at max level to fill out all your abilities :stare:
I'd just been casually using skill seeds throughout the game and didn't realize they're a huge pain in the rear end to farm, and I still need like 40 of them if I want everybody to complete their skill trees :negative:

Speaking as a completionist sort, this game does not have very many "dick moves", but that is a bit of one.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
2D to 3D to 2D and repeat, pick up the ones in 2D Gallopolis and 3D l'Academie, there are others you can get every cycle but I opted for more dimension switches and far less walking between Zoom casts rather than the other way around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wait... 2D? Have I missed something?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jerusalem posted:

Wait... 2D? Have I missed something?

There's a 2D mode on the 3DS and Switch versions

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh, I'm on PC. Will just have to farm the seeds the old fashioned way I guess.

I managed to beat the Black Race on hard, which was insane. In the end I think I beat Sylvando by a hair, I was positive he'd pipped me at the post.

I think I have just the one trial and then the final Boss to do and I'm done. I think the last recipes I need are hidden away in the last trial, but can I keep playing the game after the final boss is done? Just trying to figure out if I should run through a final checklist to make sure I haven't missed anything or just dive in.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
My bad, thought you were on Switch. Never mind!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Not really enjoying act 3. Minimal new content. It's just going to the same places fighting the same monsters. But I'll keep plugging along.

Also, I think the forge is one of the worst mechanics I've ever seen in a game. It's just a massive time sink for no real reason. I'm guessing i've sunk at least 2 hours into it so far, probably more and much of that is just waiting for animations that say SUCCESS! to go off with a little jingle. Also, summoning the whale is a massive waste of time, too. Really wish those bits were skippable as they add nothing except wasted time to the game.

Finally found a boss I couldn't beat at the bottom of the battleground. Guess I'll come back later on that one.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, summoning the whale is a massive waste of time, too.

Hop on a horse and it will skip the cutscenes, though you still have to listen to the jingle. The horse hailer works in a surprising amount of places.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

bbcisdabomb posted:

Hop on a horse and it will skip the cutscenes, though you still have to listen to the jingle. The horse hailer works in a surprising amount of places.

I can summon the whale while on a horse and skip the cut scene? Okay, will give that a try.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I loved the forge...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, normally I'm not much of one for crafting mechanic but something about the forge scratched an itch somewhere in my lizard brain for "make thing good, cross off list".

One neat thing I found about the flue summon is that you can take advantage of it to try and (not always successfully) get a pretty image. This is a game that would REALLY benefit from photo-mode, it's very pretty.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I believe the Switch version has a photo mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It does indeed