Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like the brown/tweed jackets and antique glasses and 50 year old hairstyles are clearly an affectation, it's an attempt to communicate through dress, but it's profoundly weird to me because what you're mostly communicating to everyone is you're a massive wanker who idolizes other massive wankers.

Unless you're in like a ron burgundycore subculture I don't get how anyone can walk around like that for more than five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
It's just one tiny corn nugget in that whole Trainspotting bog of poo poo but how do they all, always, have the musical taste of a 50-year-old photocopier salesman? Those requests are a loving Alan Partridge playlist.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Can't believe a student is wearing a suit at a formal event, so atrocious. And making it a profile picture! Unforgivable - all profile pictures must contain flat caps and baggy jeans.

Which one is you?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Like the brown/tweed jackets and antique glasses and 50 year old hairstyles are clearly an affectation, it's an attempt to communicate through dress, but it's profoundly weird to me because what you're mostly communicating to everyone is you're a massive wanker who idolizes other massive wankers.

Unless you're in like a ron burgundycore subculture I don't get how anyone can walk around like that for more than five minutes.

Bullying at school is wrong.

But.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

fridge corn posted:

Sounds absolutely insufferable

Hey you can stan for puddle of mudd covering about a girl all you want but don't give us poo poo for laughing at it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's not a parody headline what the gently caress.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
PMQs - did anyone watch it? Was it forensic?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You know liberals like a man when they're open about their weird sexual fantasies about them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

John Crace apparently did and it seems to have given him a life threatening priapism that he can only deal with by writing articles about it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Something going on at Royal Mail. This was posted on FB by a postie:

I used to have fond feelings for the Post Office -- when I was a young temp PA in the 80s at Post Office HQ in London, they treated me like a person unlike BT up the BT Tower who treated temps like utter poo poo.
Now, having read the full ins and outs of the way sub-postmasters were victimized and destroyed (literally to the point of suicide in some cases) over the Horizon software in a recent Private Eye (I was aware of this a few years ago but not the sheer extent of it) and some other stuff I've vaguely absorbed over the past few years, my views have altered.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 29, 2020

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why did they decide the top-down meme should be 'forensic' it's such a weird choice it's so limited and corpsey.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Can't believe a student is wearing a suit at a formal event, so atrocious. And making it a profile picture! Unforgivable - all profile pictures must contain flat caps and baggy jeans.

Glad to see some tedious oval office sticking up for brave Young Tories. The most persecuted minority.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Something going on at Royal Mail. This was posted on FB by a postie:

Yeah it's a pisser. The CWU cancels their strike to keep service going and management at Royal Mail do this because they want to just turn the screws while they can. It's a good illustration for why you should always support strikes even in particularly adverse situations though, the workers management will never give up and you shouldn't be guilting the workers into personal sacrifices like that.

Hell if the medical system want to go on strike now then good.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Vitamin P posted:

Why did they decide the top-down meme should be 'forensic' it's such a weird choice it's so limited and corpsey.

I wish I knew. I'm so bored with that word.
I guess I'm hoping someone - maybe Private Eye - will do some sort of cartoon CSI:Westminster or CSI:labour or something starring Starmer as Horatio Caine or Gus Grisom or NCIS and Starmer can be Ducky Mallard the forensic pathologist.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 29, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

namesake posted:

Yeah it's a pisser. The CWU cancels their strike to keep service going and management at Royal Mail do this because they want to just turn the screws while they can. It's a good illustration for why you should always support strikes even in particularly adverse situations though, the workers management will never give up and you shouldn't be guilting the workers into personal sacrifices like that.

Hell if the medical system want to go on strike now then good.

I thought staff at Guys Hospital and St Thomas' Hospital were doing some kind of 30 minute walkout this week. But if they did, I can't find any reference to it.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

Because lawyer is a respectable middle class job.

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

I've met a working Yorkshire miner.

this is the worst thing I've ever seen

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I thought staff at Guys Hospital and St Thomas' Hospital were doing some kind of 30 minute walkout this week. But if they did, I can't find any reference to it.

Yes it took place but was a little bit exaggerated by sympathetic supporters, it was agreed with management as a public gesture of support on International Workers Memorial Day (the 28th) so it was a good action but not a strike or industrial action.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really awful that the only thing the press can do is try to force terrible memes like starmer being forensic.

Like I would prefer it not exist than exist for such a lousy purpose.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
https://twitter.com/jsaphra/status/1255548782881669125

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I wish I knew. I'm so bored with that word.

I think the grimmest bit is forensic is kind of the opposite of holistic, and it is a legitimate criticism of Corbs that he was too holistic, like he focused on the big, broad, difficult issues that actually cause the sickness when sometimes calling out specific momentary lies the government were doing would have been more effective. But in the grand scheme of things who loving cares if Starmer politely calls them on having been lying in a particular way once a week? It will get no traction with the populace but Westminster adjacent people seem to think it's like a win button?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's more that they, as miserable little pedants, find it an appealing quality in a person.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

I think the grimmest bit is forensic is kind of the opposite of holistic, and it is a legitimate criticism of Corbs that he was too holistic, like he focused on the big, broad, difficult issues that actually cause the sickness when sometimes calling out specific momentary lies the government were doing would have been more effective. But in the grand scheme of things who loving cares if Starmer politely calls them on having been lying in a particular way once a week? It will get no traction with the populace but Westminster adjacent people seem to think it's like a win button?

Elevation of 'Decorum' has been beaten to death in this forum as a source of liberal stupidity but there's absolutely a thread of thought amongst liberals that hypocrisy is somehow the weak spot of a politician or political movement. If someone can point out inconsistencies or convincingly describe how someone has acted differently according to how they've said things should be done then this is a powerful attack for some reason and will force them to change course.

It's completely powerless in reality but it is a really strong belief in some places as it chimes well with 'people do bad things because of incorrect information'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/MxSadie4/status/1255467856445267969?s=20

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

whoops

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

It's an unconscious admission that what passes for politics is a crime.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1255593325270372352?s=19

Lol look at this motherfucker

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

I will never not believe that political columnists are just fanfic writers who grifted their way into getting paid for their hobby

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's literally peter kay's character from phoenix nights.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

- person too young to have a job

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Clement posted:

this is the worst thing I've ever seen

Pretty appropriate avatar really. Someone had to sign off on that headline and article, and that's pretty pathetic. Fustrated too at this level of fawning over Starmer, after all the Corbynite and Momentum bashing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
"Harry potter but he gets on the wrong train and ends up at clown school by accident"

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

I've met a working Yorkshire miner.
I've always found Crace to have a habit of taking a mildly amusing thing and then absolutely driving it into the ground for months/years afterwards. Political sketch-writers are just completely terrible.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

It's literally peter kay's character from phoenix nights.

lmao

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/peter_pindar/status/1255595986442948613?s=20

every picture of this guy is hilarious

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

XMNN posted:

every picture of this guy is hilarious

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Harry Potter and the chamber of racism.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Where do you even get a frilly dress shirt, barring time travel back to the 70s and mugging Bernard Manning?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Trickjaw posted:

Where do you even get a frilly dress shirt, barring time travel back to the 70s and mugging Bernard Manning?

£11 - don't all rush:

https://contestimg.wish.com/api/webimage/5b67f33beb55f6146197eb9d-large.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

CORBYN LEAVES ONE UNION BUT WON'T LEAVE EU. AND JOINS A NEW UNION WHICH HE PROBABLY WISHES WAS SOVIET

don't we all wish that. a world ran for the workers, for everyone that doesn't seek to exploit.