Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1255566139939262468?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Not that it's shocking or anything, but: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/rubycramer/joe-biden-tara-reade-talking-points-campaign-defense

quote:

“I believe women deserve to be heard, and I believe that has happened here,” Abrams told HuffPost in an email. “The allegations have been heard and looked into, and for too many women, often, that is not the case. The New York Times conducted a thorough investigation, and nothing in the Times review or any other later reports suggests anything other than what I already know about Joe Biden: That he will make women proud as the next President of the United States.”

quote:

“Biden believes that all women have the right to be heard and to have their claims thoroughly reviewed,” the talking points read, according to a copy sent to two Democratic operatives. “In this case, a thorough review by the New York Times has led to the truth: this incident did not happen.”

“Here’s the bottom line,” they read. “Vice President Joe Biden has spent over 40 years in public life: 36 years in the Senate; 7 Senate campaigns, 2 previous presidential runs, two vice presidential campaigns, and 8 years in the White House. There has never been a complaint, allegation, hint or rumor of any impropriety or inappropriate conduct like this regarding him — ever.”

Bonus, for anyone who forgets the far-off days of two weeks ago:

https://twitter.com/jeremyscahill/status/1249368288657911808

quote:

I want to ask about some edits that were made after publication, the deletion of the second half of the sentence: “The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable.” Why did you do that?

Even though a lot of us, including me, had looked at it before the story went into the paper, I think that the campaign thought that the phrasing was awkward and made it look like there were other instances in which he had been accused of sexual misconduct. And that’s not what the sentence was intended to say.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1255588778388918274?s=19

I have enjoyed watching Comrade Daou's radicalization

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cerebral Bore posted:

Empathy with who exactly? The amoral rape apologists?

n- well, actually, yes, some of the amoral rape apologists may be persuadable and exercising your empathy muscles is never entirely misplaced

but i was thinking more the people / members of the general populace who could reasonably described as not believing her yet for various reasons, not all of which are "they're evil liars"

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

lol the future was written decades ago. Getting nostalgic for the celebrity Double Dare that pitted The Yankovic's vs The Ferrigno's

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GreyjoyBastard posted:

n- well, actually, yes, some of the amoral rape apologists may be persuadable and exercising your empathy muscles is never entirely misplaced

but i was thinking more the people / members of the general populace who could reasonably described as not believing her yet for various reasons, not all of which are "they're evil liars"

Let’s burn a million calories over the controversial stance that rape = bad in the context of the democratic primary so that a handful of people with no moral compasses learn what it means to be empathetic.

I don’t understand what you’re trying to accomplish.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I have enjoyed watching Comrade Daou's radicalization

The roll he's on today put a smile on my face when I really needed it, honestly. He gives me hope that even the most broken brained liberal could wake the gently caress up and take some agency in their lives.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Anyone willing to even pretend for the sake of argument that they see specific policies Biden enacting that will lead us out of the Greater Depression?

If Biden takes office in January he’ll likely be inheriting the worst economy since FDR, and we all agree Biden is no FDR. If a Biden administration fails to achieve any progress in fixing the economy, that would bode poorly for Democrats in 2022 and 2024.

So whatever Biden would do would need to be as impactful as the New Deal, pass quickly, and work quick too.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ok, why the hell doesn’t CNN and MSNBC just let her come on and tell her story. Then have biden say that poo poo didn’t happen.

Because right now the story is: the media is corrupt and wont listen to her.

Trump is going to staple this to the bad economy of people not wanting to even go outside and blame the press for both. We need to the media to at least pretend to be impartial.

Maybe someone can convince biden to fake an injury.

i got owned
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spunkshui posted:

Ok, why the hell doesn’t CNN and MSNBC just let her come on and tell her story. Then have biden say that poo poo didn’t happen.

Trump is going to staple this to the bad economy of people not wanting to even go outside and blame the press for both. We need to the media to at least pretend to be impartial.

He has been faking a brain injury for a very long time now it seems

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I am fairly certaint that the people predicting at least 8 years of no progress from a Biden administration are expecting to be a useless buffoon who gets dunked out of office after a single term, giving us 4 years wasted by him directly and then at least four more under whatever horror of a Republican takes his scalp.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Uh, yeah, you go do that if you're so inclined.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Trabisnikof posted:

Anyone willing to even pretend for the sake of argument that they see specific policies Biden enacting that will lead us out of the Greater Depression?

If Biden takes office in January he’ll likely be inheriting the worst economy since FDR, and we all agree Biden is no FDR. If a Biden administration fails to achieve any progress in fixing the economy, that would bode poorly for Democrats in 2022 and 2024.

So whatever Biden would do would need to be as impactful as the New Deal, pass quickly, and work quick too.

Most of my tenuous hope would rely less on the Biden presidency (as usual) and more on a Democratic Congress.

Bernie would give us a slightly better Congress, would pressure it harder, and MIGHT be able to survive its failure by burning his bridges with anyone to the right of AOC and telling the country it's Pelosi's fault that unenployment is still 25% and Schumer's fault that Lord Buzzsaw is now the Regent-Overlord of the Ohio Wastes. But pre-2022 he'd still be fundamentally dependent on a Congress that would look mostly like a Biden Congress.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

spunkshui posted:

they're the propaganda outlets of the epstein branch of the democratic party, op

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/29/us/politics/tara-reade-joe-biden.html

Here's why orgs have been silent apparently.
The campaign straight out lied to them or thought their current messaging was enough.

We should hear more later since their response to this was "No one cares shut up!"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...71fc_story.html

At least some people are putting pressure on him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Rockit posted:

The campaign straight out lied to them or thought their current messaging was enough.

We should hear more later since their response to this was "No one cares shut up!"

quote:

“It’s difficult for survivors to see that a woman who has more corroborating sources than most survivors have in similar situations is being tossed aside and actively being weaponized by cynical political actors,” said Shaunna Thomas, a founder of UltraViolet, a women’s rights advocacy group that is involved in the effort to push the campaign. “It would be an incredible moment of leadership for Joe Biden to show up.”

Tarana Burke said the same basic thing. What the poo poo are they talking about? How does Biden turn this into a moment of leadership or electability? What the gently caress do they think he could do to address the fcat that he raped a woman that makes him look good?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Tarana Burke said the same basic thing. What the poo poo are they talking about? How does Biden turn this into a moment of leadership or electability? What the gently caress do they think he could do to address the fcat that he raped a woman that makes him look good?

Leadership is about bringing people together. Translation:
https://twitter.com/BoKnowsNews/status/1255610228411895811?s=20

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Gripweed posted:

They have a different meaning of "believe women" that means they can still believe that it's at least possible that Joe is innocent even if it's not certain per se.

Before you ask I've seen this distinct idea raised before one of accused was wearing blue.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Gripweed posted:

What the poo poo are they talking about? How does Biden turn this into a moment of leadership or electability? What the gently caress do they think he could do to address the fcat that he raped a woman that makes him look good?

They are probably looking for a grand gesture (like the speeches Obama would do) that shows "understanding" of the issue, which then gives the organizations cover to set it aside.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gripweed posted:

the only way he gets out of this is if the HR complaint doesn’t actually exist and he’s the only one that knows what’s in his archive

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
https://twitter.com/lizburgh/status/1255287529324019712

gonna have the controversial opinion that its a moral failing to empathize with people like this, actually

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

If the argument is that Trump leads to four years before we can save the world and a 10% chance of stopping the apocalypse, and Biden eight and zero, then it follows that you should do everything in your power to support Trump, since there's a zero percent chance of anyone else winning currently, and we can't risk Biden doing so either.

Haha this is a great loving take.

"Oh no, I can't convince this person to vote for Biden on the basis of him being the lesser evil. I know! What if I turned your argument around by saying that following your logic, you must vote for Trump as his hostility to climate change action will be more limited, and is thus is the lesser of 2 evils? You did say you were going to vote for the lesser evil, right?"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
On the other hand, maybe if they ignore it it will just go away

https://twitter.com/llerer/status/1255603896397029379?s=20

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the biden campaign's official response being "the whore lies, and even if she isn't lying, who cares" is just finger-licking good

remember! this is the guy we're being told to pretend genuinely cares about anyone, on the face of the planet, who does not share his skin color, financial interests, or bloodline!

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Malleum posted:

gonna have the controversial opinion that its a moral failing to empathize with people like this, actually

Okay I think we've reached the point where we can say that MSNBC fucks up brains harder than Fox News.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Rockit posted:

They have a different meaning of "believe women" that means they can still believe that it's at least possible that Joe is innocent even if it's not certain per se.

Before you ask I've seen this distinct idea raised before one of accused was wearing blue.

lol that gets selectively applied and you know it. where was this "different meaning" with kavanaugh?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Liberalism is a disease.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Gripweed posted:

On the other hand, maybe if they ignore it it will just go away

https://twitter.com/llerer/status/1255603896397029379?s=20

Finally Biden is making concessions to the racist and misogynisic left

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Malleum posted:

I just read Tara's tweets aloud in my best Boris from Rocky & Bullwinkle impression and it checks out.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the biden campaign's official response being "the whore lies, and even if she isn't lying, who cares" is just finger-licking good

remember! this is the guy we're being told to pretend genuinely cares about anyone, on the face of the planet, who does not share his skin color, financial interests, or bloodline!

What the gently caress is “finger licking good” about Biden, as of now Donald Trump’s only competition, being a rapist and acting like a typical accused rapist? I swear, the absolute glee people have about poo poo like that, or about Trump eventually winning and scorching the libs, is extremely grating.

Whether you’re willing to vote for Biden or not, this is all terribly tragic stuff. The political party that looked ready to turn a corner two months ago is doubling down on all of its worse instincts, and all some people can seem to muster is a “lmao”. It really makes it seem like some people are more interested in causing pain to people they hate, or being proved “right”, than trying to salvage anything out of this mess. I get that it’s probably a coping mechanism, and it’s really just limited to a few posters, but I don’t think it’s helping the quality of discourse.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lessail posted:

Finally Biden is making concessions to the racist and misogynisic left

if nothing else, it is nice to see the center coming around on the viability of targeted harrassment of women

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Russia has consumed the worm eaten brains of the libs. Soon they'll be blaming Russia for the sun setting in the evening and praising Biden for lifting it into the sky in the morning.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Mellow Seas posted:

What the gently caress is “finger licking good” about Biden, as of now Donald Trump’s only competition, being a rapist and acting like a typical accused rapist? I swear, the absolute glee people have about poo poo like that, or about Trump eventually winning and scorching the libs, is extremely grating.

Whether you’re willing to vote for Biden or not, this is all terribly tragic stuff. The political party that looked ready to turn a corner two months ago is doubling down on all of its worse instincts, and all some people can seem to muster is a “lmao”. It really makes it seem like some people are more interested in causing pain to people they hate, or being proved “right”, than trying to salvage anything out of this mess. I get that it’s probably a coping mechanism, and it’s really just limited to a few posters, but I don’t think it’s helping the quality of discourse.

What is hurting the quality of discourse is that Joe Biden is the Democratic nominee for president

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Euphoriaphone posted:

Haha this is a great loving take.

"Oh no, I can't convince this person to vote for Biden on the basis of him being the lesser evil. I know! What if I turned your argument around by saying that following your logic, you must vote for Trump as his hostility to climate change action will be more limited, and is thus is the lesser of 2 evils? You did say you were going to vote for the lesser evil, right?"

It's logically faulty, anyway. The 10% chance requires not so much a Trump victory as one of either 1) building up a viable third alternative ASAP or 2) Dems getting scared into moving left. A Trump vote, while it might help beat Biden, works against both of those conditions.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lessail posted:

What is hurting the quality of discourse is that Joe Biden is the Democratic nominee for president

Yeah, this thread was actually pretty good when Bernie was riding high. Like I said, this loving sucks, so maybe it shouldn’t be surprising that discussion about this sucky situation is also going to suck.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Rockit posted:

scrolled to the bottom of this and was immediately greeted by

quote:

Former Senator Barbara Boxer of California, who has endorsed Mr. Biden, said in an interview that she thought the campaign had handled Ms. Reade’s allegation “well” and that it had “done everything that they can do.” She said the Biden campaign had not given her talking points.

“If they ask me my advice," she said, “it would be keep on doing what they’re doing.”

:hmmyes:

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Mellow Seas posted:

Your mistake is thinking that anything can be salvaged, or that this isn't what the party wants. We are not of the party, we are outsiders looking in, and just like every loving thread in this forum that exists to mock republicans its actually incredibly normal for people not in the big tent to laugh at the car wreck happening inside it.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Liberalism is a disease.

It’s nothing more than decorum fascism in the 21st century.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

When people post the “everything is fine” cartoon they don’t actually think everything is fine. When someone hears an insane and terrible thing and goes “well that’s just great” they don’t actually think it is great.

So it’s a safer bet that they’re not actually licking their fingers but instead impressed at the audacity and greasiness of the Biden campaign’s argument that they can smear a victim as justification for not needing to face the press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

you have to laugh, imo.

think about it! two years were spent by liberals screaming about how a vote for Bernie Sanders was a vote for misogyny and hatred! and then, the -instant- the threat from the left was gone, they immediately threw everything they pretended to believe aside, and told all those suburban republican white women they claim will vote democrat ~aaaaany~ day now "yeah no you're gonna sit down, shut up, and vote for the rapist. anything else would mean you'd been brainwashed by russians."

if you can't at least chuckle at watching people who thought they were savvy political operators, trading their good name and credibility for a shot at the levers of power, being told at the last minute "ahahahaha, syke, you sacrificed all that and you get nothing" you've lost a valuable bit of what makes you human.

poo poo's straight up in Shakespeare. Brutus, the man who thought he was doing good, gets Antony to eulogize him honorably. Cassius, the conniving rear end in a top hat who gets outconnived and murdered?

"lol, owned"