Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In the original, wasnt poto oils scaled on the user's spirit, similar to heal light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, all items were literally just "cast x spell using the user's stats". So you could use light coins to cast holy ball with Kevin, but the damage would still suck.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also speaking of Chrono Trigger, this remake gives me hope that we'll one day see a CT remake on this level.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Fister Roboto posted:

Also speaking of Chrono Trigger, this remake gives me hope that we'll one day see a CT remake on this level.

HARD SAME.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I’m sick of grinding for seeds dammit, I just want to make sure all my guys are geared their best before fighting Anise
At this rate it won’t matter though since I’m leveling up like crazy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Gimme a Chrono Trigger remake and a Bahamut Lagoon remake and I'll die a happy man.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

*monkey paw curls*

chrono trigger remake to be made by tokyo rpg factory! wait, guys, where are you going?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I wish I could boost Duran’s Spirit more, his heals aren’t great even with Healing Light+.

The downside of Poto oil is there’s a short delay and if you get hit during that time it stops you from using it which sucks. Duran at least won’t flinch most of the time and heals pretty much instantly.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Man, Hawkeye's Swallow Throw with max luck is a beast even in the low 20s. Combine that with the fact that his arrows proc the CS gain ability twice, Rogue could be a legitimate DPSer

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

Disagree, honestly. Chrono Trigger is fine the way it is, I don't think it can really be improved upon.

Even a Trials of Mana style remake (but with a better voice acting budget and no egregious intra-cutscene load screens) would be kind of awkward, since Chrono Trigger uses classical turn-based combat instead of Trials' ARPG combat. A lot of Chrono Trigger's attacks and combat mechanics simply wouldn't make sense in 3D, so they'd have to shake up the combat a lot. The visual and musical aesthetic is also very unique, and updating it to a modern 3D style would lose a lot, in my opinion. The world's geography is bizarrely and inexplicably reshaped between each of the time periods, and because the world has to be split up into five different eras each time period's world is microscopic, which would also be jarring in a more realistic graphical style as opposed to a tiny 480i pixel-art screen.

It shouldn't need to be said but a short and mostly light-hearted story like Chrono Trigger would definitely not benefit from a blockbuster multi-part epic treatment like FF7R either. Nobody needs a three-phase fifteen-minute wailing-orchestral-soundtrack fight against goddamn Zombor.

I feel like Chrono Trigger occupies the same sort of weird niche as The Matrix; a fun and tightly-paced story that is inextricably bound with its particular aesthetic and its particular time. FF7R works because it is execution and objectives are very different to the original in a number of ways, but it executes on its new objectives so well that it manages to to make an impact that matches up to everything that childhood nostalgia built FF7-prime up to be. I don't think either a straight remake or a fundamental reimagining of Chrono Trigger can accomplish it because of the fundamental differences in the source material.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Calaveron posted:

I’m sick of grinding for seeds dammit, I just want to make sure all my guys are geared their best before fighting Anise
At this rate it won’t matter though since I’m leveling up like crazy

Anise is scaled based on your level anyways.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Riesz's voice acting annoys me more than Chawotte's.

Charlotte's accent is absolutely awful to read, but her voice acting is really competent and enjoyable, and much easier to understand. I just finished a Charlotte/Riesz/Angela run as my first the other day and I never had any moment where I was like "wow was the voice direction just out to lunch that day or something?" like I did for a bunch of Riesz's lines (and a few of Angela's).

On a related note, Necromancer Charlotte and Starlancer Riesz is just complete easy mode, even on Hard. It's not quite as ridiculous as the original, where party stat-ups plus enemy stat-downs meant you'd be taking single digit damage at times in endgame, but still very strong. Also, if you set Riesz to "mostly support" then she'll just cast the buffs and continue attacking anyway once they're all applied, which is nice.

Now I'm trying to decide what team to do next: either something centered around Dark Riesz, or Team Dude to use the three characters I didn't the previous run.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Incidentally, one thing about the story's intense faithfulness to the original is that Kevin's dad gets away with a lot of heinous poo poo.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rand Brittain posted:

Incidentally, one thing about the story's intense faithfulness to the original is that Kevin's dad gets away with a lot of heinous poo poo.

On the upside, in the postgame you get to exact some sort of cathartic revenge by beating his loving rear end for the Class 4 unlock item.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Give me a Chrono Trigger remake with Persona 5 Royal showtime style dual and triple techs.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know exactly what the Vanadis chain ability to share buffs does? Is it "when you cast a buff on an ally, also cast on yourself" or "whenever an ally receives a buff, also receive that buff" or some other effect I've not considered because it makes a difference for my team plan.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What's a good set of classes for an Angela, Duran, Kevin team?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Reisz is so hit-or-miss VA-wise, I agree that I prefer Chawotte's doofy voice to her. Excited to hear Angela when I do Duran/Angela/Kevin next.

I also agree that I find the VA in general charming over just how bad it can be. Some NPCs can be terrible, like Jessica, and some are out-of-nowhere but still pretty good like Lumina, but then you have the rare gem like Shade who embraces the cheesiness of it all and goes full-ham.

Shade should've been the narrator.

e: I'm now kind of hoping there'll be a way to disable the other two companions and do a solo mode, I had a random encounter where my allies died quickly in and I had a pretty fun time going one-on-two with a Swordmaster and Ninja. I think the battle system could have real challenge if you only had to rely on one character's abilities and your own movements. Unfortunately that whole "allies revive after every fight" thing makes it difficult to work in its current state, especially since they'll still gain EXP.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 29, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I wish the training reset you can do in Beiser was given as an item you could use later. It's hard to compare builds if I have to go there then back to where the mobs are level appropriate.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

What's a good set of classes for an Angela, Duran, Kevin team?

Me personally, I'd go L/L, L/D, D/D.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Angela's voice acting has been the high point of my Angela/Duran/Reisz run. It's hard to not laugh when she gets a level up and gets super excited while going "I feel power flowing through me. *gasp* It's magical!!!"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

Does anyone know exactly what the Vanadis chain ability to share buffs does? Is it "when you cast a buff on an ally, also cast on yourself" or "whenever an ally receives a buff, also receive that buff" or some other effect I've not considered because it makes a difference for my team plan.

It's the former. It makes Vanadis slightly more convenient to use, but the party-wide permabuffs of Starlancer are just way better imho.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mega64 posted:

e: I'm now kind of hoping there'll be a way to disable the other two companions and do a solo mode, I had a random encounter where my allies died quickly in and I had a pretty fun time going one-on-two with a Swordmaster and Ninja. I think the battle system could have real challenge if you only had to rely on one character's abilities and your own movements. Unfortunately that whole "allies revive after every fight" thing makes it difficult to work in its current state, especially since they'll still gain EXP.

You can AI set them to full support and then put their ability/item use down to 0.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The downside of Poto oil is there’s a short delay and if you get hit during that time it stops you from using it which sucks. Duran at least won’t flinch most of the time and heals pretty much instantly.

At least you don't lose ATB when you get hit; I'm having to train myself out of FFVII remake mannerisms, it's weird being able to issue commands willy nilly. I already swapped the basic attack and dodge because I couldn't deal.

Also hitting triggers when I want to go into the menu and wondering wtf the camera and everything did until I realized I switched characters instead of bringing up the ring menu.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kyrosiris posted:

Me personally, I'd go L/L, L/D, D/D.

This is exactly what I chose to do

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Dackel posted:

Duran and Kevin just said they wanted to "cross swords" and Charlotte was all "ye aight, as long as y'all having fun"
Angela's line for that was 'I do like a man with a sword.'
Also the ghost filter really messes with character's voices. It's pretty absurd in a funny way.

I'm surprised at the boat ride conversations though. I was expecting Duran and Angela (because first playthrough it was Kevin and Charlotte) but instead I got Duran and Kevin. I guess Kevin has a lot to say on boat rides.

Bruceski posted:

You can AI set them to full support and then put their ability/item use down to 0.
This is what I did for Kevin when I brought him along for a casual day out with Duran and Angela (although I had him set up to huck items for healing.) It's about as close as you can get to removing characters from your party. If they have Enigma you can go one step further to making them not there.

Rosalie_A posted:

Charlotte's accent is absolutely awful to read, but her voice acting is really competent and enjoyable, and much easier to understand. I just finished a Charlotte/Riesz/Angela run as my first the other day and I never had any moment where I was like "wow was the voice direction just out to lunch that day or something?" like I did for a bunch of Riesz's lines (and a few of Angela's).
The only weird thing with Charlotte's voice is that sometimes it sounds like she goes Boston with her lines. In such a way that I'm not sure if that's the VA's charlotte breaking down or something she did to get the double rhotacism/l-vocalization right.
It doesn't sound bad, it's just a quirk I've noticed.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also I like Kevin's. The whole "ooga booga me Kevin me do bad grammar" thing is dumb. In this it sounds more like he's just not 100% comfortable with human speech, which is way better.
Yeah. What helps sell this is that he drops all of his hesitation when he gets excited or emotional. My favorite Kevin line is when he shows up at Alrant. 'Ooh! Snow! It tastes cold! -lick- heehee. Um, before we go to mana stone... Can we play in the snow?'

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

New game plus spoilers:

gently caress a difficulty curve

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

It's the former. It makes Vanadis slightly more convenient to use, but the party-wide permabuffs of Starlancer are just way better imho.

Thanks. It would have been nicer the other way but I suspected. Sorry for the repeat post but here's an idea to use Vanadis:

Vanadis Reisz, Nomad Hawk, Divine Fist Kevin. All Light/Light team where Hawk chain shares the buff share ability so he can spread his buffs better. Hawk also uses chain Critical Smash abilities from Kevin and Riesz to apply debuffs on crits. Riesz uses the Vanadis ability to apply status effects when buffed to get more mileage out of Hawk's buffs and her own. Meanwhile Kevin has the CS gauge when buffed ability to get oodles of CS gauge from all the buff casting. And Nomad Hawk begins the fight with an autocast team buff that feeds Kevin's CS and Riesz's status effect proc.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So do you have to go through the game 6 times for each other the characters as your main for those "Complete X's Story" achievements?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

sigher posted:

So do you have to go through the game 6 times for each other the characters as your main for those "Complete X's Story" achievements?

Nah, I got all three of the ones I took through my first playthrough so you can get those done in two.

You still need three runs through to get Dragonlord/Dark Lich/Archdemon though.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Third time through and I'm still surprised by how hard Belladonna smacks Jessica right before the second Bill and Ben fight. Absolutely lays her the gently caress out.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Angela's final class item fight was ROUGH. I spent probably an hour on it. Dear lord she's a destroyer even light/light.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Fister Roboto posted:

After playing this game for about 5 hours, I've concluded they really need to build off this for either a remake of Legend of Mana or Chrono Trigger. The combat is a lot of fun and both those games would work with this art style.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

Angela's final class item fight was ROUGH. I spent probably an hour on it. Dear lord she's a destroyer even light/light.
Yeah I didn't really like that fight, I had her set up to be a "hiding" (with Enigma) nuke cannon and suddenly I'm without my party distracting the boss, while having to move constantly instead of being able to cast. The Duran fight on the other hand wasn't hard but it was super boring because healer Duran will never die, but will also kill the enemy very, very slowly.

Also "you can't have duplicates of ??? seed items" has to be wrong and people are probably being lucky, I just carried a bunch over into NG+ for my Hawkeye/Charlotte/Riesz party and when I finally planted all of them at once I got both items for dark Hawkeye, both + duplicates for light Charlotte and not a single light Riesz class change item, so now I'm probably going to approach level 90 before Riesz can get her 3rd class (while the other two are class 3 since level 38), thanks to the 300% XP bonus trait :v:

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Boogalo posted:

only time i came close to dying was this fight. jumping and dodging in midair is your best friend in this one. the anise fight looked tough too if you arent lucent beaming her to death lol.

thinking of doing a fresh start for my next run instead of new game plus cause im worried ill be so overpowered it will be boring

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 29, 2020

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

orcane posted:

thanks to the 300% XP bonus trait :v:

That poo poo is hilarious, by the way. It can also stack with the Lil Cactus XP boosters. :v:

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Wow, Zehnoa and the 3 Machine Golems in Altena don't mess around on hard do they. Weird how Bill and Ben 1 was a far easier fight than Zehnoa, I remember the opposite being true in the original. I've not beat them in the rematch yet, but I cant see them being as bad as the Golems. Game's good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zehnoa I feel is just not a well designed boss fight. The camera sucks super hard in that area, the AI basically have no idea how to handle his gimmicks, and most of the difficulty just comes from those two things.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

That poo poo is hilarious, by the way. It can also stack with the Lil Cactus XP boosters. :v:
It's amazing but obviously breaks the entire challenge until post-story content at least, because you'll just outlevel everything and kill normal mobs in 1-2 hits. I love it for a quick replay to do other characters' stories, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kyrosiris posted:

New game plus spoilers:

gently caress a difficulty curve

It's kinda a shame that NG+ keeps levels, because otherwise with how chain skills and other stuff works you get some pretty flexible "choose your own difficulty reduction" stuff going on.