Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GN got some interesting insider info. As expected, DDR5 and the AM5 socket are coming together. No PCIe 5. It will launch in 2022 with Zen 4. They also reference a “Zen3+” based APU in 2022.

Might be able to fill in the blanks there and assume there will be a Zen3+ on AM4 in 2021? Or maybe Zen3+ will be the name of the combo of the Zen3 compute dies with the new DDR5 IO die?

https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3574-hw-news-supercomputer-mining-malware-ddr5-amd

Cygni fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm planning to upgrade from this 3770k to a Zen 3 12/16 core desktop part when that becomes available, hopefully later this year. But this 7+ year old system is starting to creak a bit at the seams and I was wondering if it makes sense to build a new system with an AM4 board and a cheaper current Zen 2 cpu.

How future proof are current AM4 boards? Do we expect to see new boards with significant improvements come out with Zen 3 desktop cpus? Is it better to just wait it out?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

v1ld posted:

I'm planning to upgrade from this 3770k to a Zen 3 12/16 core desktop part when that becomes available, hopefully later this year. But this 7+ year old system is starting to creak a bit at the seams and I was wondering if it makes sense to build a new system with an AM4 board and a cheaper current Zen 2 cpu.

How future proof are current AM4 boards? Do we expect to see new boards with significant improvements come out with Zen 3 desktop cpus? Is it better to just wait it out?

What people mean by "future proof" is very nebulous, it would help if you were more specific about what you want. Your ivy bridge system lasted a good long time: was it just the speed of the CPU that kept it fresh, or was it upgrades you added along the way?

B550 motherboards are probably going to come out with Zen 3, and in a lot of ways I think B550 is more worth waiting on than the CPU. Current B450 boards are fine for a good midrange system, but long-term you have issues like 1 m.2 slot. (Some B450s have 2 m.2 slots, but it's generally very compromised.) With Zen 2 AMD added way more PCIe lanes and IO, but B450 boards don't take advantage because they're designed for Zen 1/+. So for someone who expects to add storage over time they're weak. But if your main upgrade is a new GPU every so often, none of that matters and B450 is fine.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

What people mean by "future proof" is very nebulous, it would help if you were more specific about what you want. Your ivy bridge system lasted a good long time: was it just the speed of the CPU that kept it fresh, or was it upgrades you added along the way?

Good question. I mean the ability to add storage/PCIe cards (GPU/wifi). I do not expect to change out CPUs or memory since I prefer to buy a good high performing chip that will last me a few years over more freq upgrades. PCIe 4 and m.2 will be the biggest steps up.

After reading your summary, waiting on the B550 boards seems like the right thing to me after reading it. So I'll either look at a cheap cpu/mobo combo that performs somewhat better than the 3770k/z77 I have now or see how to cheaply address its current issues (which makes the most sense probably).

Thanks for the summary.

e: Out of curiosity: is there a cheap mobo to pair with a 1600 AF or 3300x that could tide me over till a 16 core zen 3 part is out? For below $250 say, with PCI 3, no m.2 needed. Asking because that 16 core part may be a lot further away than end of this year.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 27, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

v1ld posted:

Good question. I mean the ability to add storage/PCIe cards (GPU/wifi). I do not expect to change out CPUs or memory since I prefer to buy a good high performing chip that will last me a few years over more freq upgrades. PCIe 4 and m.2 will be the biggest steps up.

Thanks for your summary. Waiting on the B550 boards seems like the right thing to me after reading it. So e

PCIe gen 4 probably will not have any real impact over the life of a system -- today's high-end GPUs have barely detectable performance loss from being on a PCIe gen 2 connection, and the same thing was true of 1->2.

And note that you can get all the IO you'd ever need (and PCIe 4) with X570 boards. They're just fairly expensive, the good X570s are $200 and up. But if you get a high-core chip you need to pay attention to VRM quality, so a cheap board isn't a good idea anyways. (Don't get a 16 core, it's isn't "future proof". Normal poo poo isn't gonna need 16 cores anytime soon.)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

PCIe gen 4 probably will not have any real impact over the life of a system -- today's high-end GPUs have barely detectable performance loss from being on a PCIe gen 2 connection, and the same thing was true of 1->2.

And note that you can get all the IO you'd ever need (and PCIe 4) with X570 boards. They're just fairly expensive, the good X570s are $200 and up. But if you get a high-core chip you need to pay attention to VRM quality, so a cheap board isn't a good idea anyways. (Don't get a 16 core, it's isn't "future proof". Normal poo poo isn't gonna need 16 cores anytime soon.)

I did a bunch more reading and only just realized that it's not a given that Zen 3 will use the AM4 socket. Expected and not contradicted by AMD, but not announced either.

Sounds best to just wait and keep this system going till there's clarity. Thanks for the advice/info!

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

prime95 doesn't use the GPU while F@H does, so it's probably just down to more heat in the same case.

It's probably this. My 3600x (in a Define R5 with an NH-D15) will sit at around 65 when doing F@H by itself. If the GPU actually manages to get a unit assigned, the CPU jumps up to around 75. It's the same "delta over ambient," it's just that "ambient" inside the case is a lot higher with the GPU dumping another 200W of heat into the air that's headed for the CPU cooler.

Theris fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 27, 2020

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

AMD AGESA 1.0.0.5 has been made available and MSI already rolled it out for some of their MAX motherboards.

Supposed to improve DDR4 support, system stability, and a fix for "HDMI audio lost issue when using AMD RX570 VGA card."

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Fabulousity posted:

AMD AGESA 1.0.0.5 has been made available and MSI already rolled it out for some of their MAX motherboards.

Supposed to improve DDR4 support, system stability, and a fix for "HDMI audio lost issue when using AMD RX570 VGA card."

Still can't run my RAM at 3600MHz :/

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

seravid posted:

Funny that, I'm running DDR4 @ 3600C16 on my 3600/B450M Mortar on AGESA 1.0.0.3 and I'm intentionally staying away from BIOS updates because I know there's a high chance of breaking something.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

seravid posted:

This helped me and I don't know why:

Clear CMOS, do not enable DOCP/XMP, set your ram to 3600 with like CL18 or 20 and necessary voltage. Then once it boots and mem-trains, you can lower timings from there

I can do this off a fresh CMOS clear, but not after I enable the auto-ram timing table. Weird

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

seravid posted:

You've got the Zen+ processor, right? The memory controller on the chip probably just isn't capable of running it at that speed.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Lube banjo posted:

This helped me and I don't know why:

Clear CMOS, do not enable DOCP/XMP, set your ram to 3600 with like CL18 or 20 and necessary voltage. Then once it boots and mem-trains, you can lower timings from there

I can do this off a fresh CMOS clear, but not after I enable the auto-ram timing table. Weird

Interesting. Hadn't thought of keeping XMP disabled... but no dice.

Some Goon posted:

You've got the Zen+ processor, right? The memory controller on the chip probably just isn't capable of running it at that speed.

Yep, as I was told before in this thread, this is most certainly it. I shouldn't care about a 266MHz increase, but the number being wrong unreasonably annoys me, dang it. That's how it is, though, since the QVL list for my board has roughly ten thousand memories tested for Zen+ and only a handful run at 3466MHz, with none running at 3600.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lube banjo posted:

I've never known the full story on what "training the memory" is really doing, but it's evidently what makes that Weird Trick happen.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is there some sort of trick for finding AM4/X570 based workstation motherboards with not just the ability to boot ECC memory in non-ECC mode but actual verified ECC support - as well as a minimum of one PCI-ex x16 and two PCI-ex x8 ports plus a minimum of two M.2 x4 slots (preferably three), a minimum of 2 RJ45 connectors on a not-Realtek or similarily-lovely MAC+PHY, and preferably a baseboard management controller that runs IPMI with vKVM?

The plan is a minimum of 12 cores with SMT which givs me 8 threads for FreeBSD which is my daily driver, 16 threads for Windows when I wanna do some gaming, and 16 threads to spare for compiling stuff with poudriere when not gaming.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 29, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Klyith posted:

I've never known the full story on what "training the memory" is really doing, but it's evidently what makes that Weird Trick happen.

Memory overclocking is CMOS algorithmically testing timings until it hits something that works higher than fallback spec. It is equal parts Black Magic and Technomancy, but that's memory overclocking in general.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
Is it normal for Ryzen systems to take over a minute to completely shutdown?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

no? I'm using NVMe and Win10 shuts down in like 4 seconds.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Passburger posted:

No unless it's doing a Windows 10 update or something

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

D. Ebdrup posted:

a baseboard management controller that runs IPMI

AFAIK, there's one board that meets this requirement before you get into EPYC motherboards: https://www.tyan.com/Motherboards_S8020_S8020AGM2NR-EX

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

D. Ebdrup posted:

Is there some sort of trick for finding AM4/X570 based workstation motherboards with not just the ability to boot ECC memory in non-ECC mode but actual verified ECC support - as well as a minimum of one PCI-ex x16 and two PCI-ex x8 ports plus a minimum of two M.2 x4 slots (preferably three), a minimum of 2 RJ45 connectors on a not-Realtek or similarily-lovely MAC+PHY, and preferably a baseboard management controller that runs IPMI with vKVM?

The plan is a minimum of 12 cores with SMT which givs me 8 threads for FreeBSD which is my daily driver, 16 threads for Windows when I wanna do some gaming, and 16 threads to spare for compiling stuff with poudriere when not gaming.

mdxi posted:

AFAIK, there's one board that meets this requirement before you get into EPYC motherboards: https://www.tyan.com/Motherboards_S8020_S8020AGM2NR-EX

Asrock Rack also has a couple server boards:

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#Specifications (CPU lanes are 16+4+0/8+4+8 with 2 M.2 off chipset and 2 dedicated Intel NICs with a third for IPMI, so this checks all the boxes. Uniquely, this board actually routes the x4 NVMe to a physical slot, which is how it gets 8+4+8)

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U2-2T#Specifications (the above, but puts dual 10 GbE on the NVMe lanes, trades the middle slot for a smaller one off the chipset, ditches the SATA controller. This is the only board I've ever seen with 10GbE on the CPU direct lanes.)

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4I-2T#Specifications (X570 ITX, goes to 8x SATA with oculink, dual 10GbE, 1x M.2 on back, can be bifurcated to x4x4x4x4 if you have a breakout.)

That is the sum total of AM4 server boards at the moment. Asrock also makes this threadripper board:

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X399D8A-2T#Specifications

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 29, 2020

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Passburger posted:

Mine used to take a while, but I can't remember why. Probably a BIOS thing?

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

no? I'm using NVMe and Win10 shuts down in like 4 seconds.

Rabid Snake posted:

No unless it's doing a Windows 10 update or something

ufarn posted:

Mine used to take a while, but I can't remember why. Probably a BIOS thing?

Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna go with "it's a bios thing" since I've been on the fence about the new agesa and haven't really updated beyond necessity. I also have my windows 10 running on a NVMe.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

In my experience it's windows waiting for something to finish and either it eventually does or windows decides it's times out after a few minutes.

Could be a misbehaving driver or service.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

taqueso posted:

In my experience it's windows waiting for something to finish and either it eventually does or windows decides it's times out after a few minutes.

Yeah I'd say software over hardware. Windows doesn't shut down until running processes cleanly exit.

For me Steam seems to have about a 50/50 shot of hanging on long enough so that windows flashes up the "kill this program?" screen for a tiny instant, but then moving on before I touch anything. But I rarely shut the PC down so that impression may be exaggerated.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I forgot to mention that it pretty much has to be ATX, since I'll be using at least two dual-slot graphics cards and a SAS HBA for 8 disks, as Ryzen 9 doesn't ship with an APU.

I looked at it a bit more, and it looks like Ryzen 3rd gen is limited to 24 PCI-Ex lanes, so I don't think it's gonna work.
I seem to recall people going nuts over the fact that AMD was supposed to have more lanes for expansion boards, but that appears to only be available on Threadripper and EPYC, which mean they're just as much out of reach for my budget as Intel chips with large amounts of lanes for expansion boards.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Asrock Rack also has a couple server boards:

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#Specifications (CPU lanes are 16+4+0/8+4+8 with 2 M.2 off chipset and 2 dedicated Intel NICs with a third for IPMI, so this checks all the boxes. Uniquely, this board actually routes the x4 NVMe to a physical slot, which is how it gets 8+4+8)
No room for dual-slot graphics cards, though.

Paul MaudDib posted:

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U2-2T#Specifications (the above, but puts dual 10 GbE on the NVMe lanes, trades the middle slot for a smaller one off the chipset, ditches the SATA controller. This is the only board I've ever seen with 10GbE on the CPU direct lanes.)
1x on a HBA with 8 disks is just a bottleneck, as the HBA is PCI-ex 2.0 limited at ~1Gbps minus the ~25% overhead of any PCI bus

Paul MaudDib posted:

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4I-2T#Specifications (X570 ITX, goes to 8x SATA with oculink, dual 10GbE, 1x M.2 on back, can be bifurcated to x4x4x4x4 if you have a breakout.)
Not near enough expansion slots, let alone lanes - and sourcing OCUlink in Denmark is impossible.

Paul MaudDib posted:

That is the sum total of AM4 server boards at the moment. Asrock also makes this threadripper board:

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X399D8A-2T#Specifications

mdxi posted:

I said AM4/X570 specifically because of the price of any Threadripper. This is X399, the CPUs for which all start at prices that are way outside my price point for Zen2 chips or even Zen+, and the errata on Zen simply make it impossible to work with for me.

Gotta be honest, I'm disappointed there's so little choice after almost a year, with nothing more even announced.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 29, 2020

ufarn
May 30, 2009

taqueso posted:

I think I would have the occasional error at the end of shutting down Windows, so probably some BIOS stuff messing up the shutdown somehow.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Maybe in the event log but it probably won't be a bluescreen type error. Bios isn't involved until the very very end afaik, possibly not at all

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 29, 2020

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Passburger posted:

How long does logging out take (not the lock screen, real sign out)? And then shutting down from the login window?
If the first one is the culprit, there is some dangling user software and you could start uninstalling poo poo.
In the latter case, a system driver or messed up Windows. That's a bigger problem :smith:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

What *is* your budget?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

This gets as close to your requirements as I've seen: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Pro-WS-X570-ACE/

Verified ECC support
3x PCIe 4.0 x16 slots (all x8 electrical)
2x M.2 slots (one 4.0x4, one 4.0x2)
1x U.2 connector (PCIe 3.0 x4)
Two GigE ports (one Intel, one Realtek)
IPMI, but no iKVM

Slap an x1 Intel NIC in there and get a U.2 to M.2 adapter and you're there except for the iKVM.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SamDabbers posted:

This gets as close to your requirements as I've seen: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Pro-WS-X570-ACE/

Verified ECC support
IPMI, but no iKVM

Slap an x1 Intel NIC in there and get a U.2 to M.2 adapter and you're there except for the iKVM.

We use these at work and they’re solid. The pcie slots do support Gen4x16 if you’re not loading all of them too by some complex table. I think one of the slots is off the chipset too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So I ended up needing a replacement workstation and found a Asus TUF506 with the Ryzen 7 4800H. Really happy with it, its snappy as hell, supports all my virtualization tools and has 8 cores in a laptop.

https://valid.x86.fr/m92x6f

Passburger
May 4, 2013

sauer kraut posted:

How long does logging out take (not the lock screen, real sign out)? And then shutting down from the login window?
If the first one is the culprit, there is some dangling user software and you could start uninstalling poo poo.
In the latter case, a system driver or messed up Windows. That's a bigger problem :smith:

It's the latter, guess I'll have to look into it.

sincx posted:

Mine shuts down in seconds. I actually didn't even reinstall Windows when I recently put together my 3900X build. Just moved over the M.2 drive from the old Intel system and everything worked.

That's what I did too.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Hey D.E.: [non-AMD suggestion spoiler alert] why not pick up a Broadwell 2658v4? 40 lanes, ATX board availability, 32 lanes for GPUs then throw this crazy fucker in there: https://highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series-ssd7110-overview.htm

I have the all-non-bootable-but-raidable weird rear end bastard of that card and it works great.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

What *is* your budget?
Budget is ~$1500.
The right question to ask is: Why the gently caress is Threadripper so damned expensive in :denmark:; a 3960X is just about the price of the entire computer I had planned out, when I found out the BMC is some lovely home-grown solution involving a complete lack of IPMI and HTML5 vKVM - and the apparent lack of SR-IOV is kind of a killer, too.

SamDabbers posted:

Verified ECC support
IPMI, but no iKVM

SR-IOV is completely missing from the manual, so I just assume it's not supported - unless priznat can tell me otherwise.
Even if it is supported, the NIC is I211, not I350 so SR-IOV won't work on it.
The x1 slot, if my dream motherboard has it, would be used for my soundcard.

Crunchy Black posted:

Hey D.E.: [non-AMD suggestion spoiler alert] why not pick up a Broadwell 2658v4? 40 lanes, ATX board availability, 32 lanes for GPUs then throw this crazy fucker in there: https://highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series-ssd7110-overview.htm

I have the all-non-bootable-but-raidable weird rear end bastard of that card and it works great.
2658v4 is too slow, clock-wise. X4 needs both a lot of threads and a lot of Hz, and GTA5 really likes a high clock-rate too (though it's less threaded).
Already have the SAS HBA flashed with IT-mode firmware, ready to be passed through to FreeBSD via hardware accelerated IOMMU - it's how my old-and-used current build-server is booting.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
1630v4? 1s only so I often forget about those parts.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/92987/intel-xeon-processor-e5-1630-v4-10m-cache-3-70-ghz.html

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Too few threads; again, Windows will have 16, FreeBSD will have 8. That means minimum is 24 threads aka 12 cores with SMT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah, duh, I was actually playing a game and realized why that wasn't an option originally. :doh: