Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"The East Palo Alto of the 1980s of the East Coast"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

Yet another reason to be glad you're living in California and not some other state:

https://twitter.com/ScottImmordino/status/1255231572233551872

There it is. Go back to work or lose your unemployment. Mitch McConnell is pushing for immunity from liability for employers whose employees get Corona on the job, that's his untouchable "red line" for signing off on the next Corona relief bill.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1255256656079982600

I am so, so, so glad I live in a big blue state.

Land of the "Free"

Also, IPA's are nasty as gently caress and you will never convince me otherwise.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

BeAuMaN posted:

Is there Massachusetts thread? I'd like to see reactions :allears:

I live to upset people from Massachusetts.

silence_kit posted:

I'm not sure if there really is a California equivalent to Camden, NJ. Camden has incredible poverty and is incredibly run down and depressed.

Calling Camden the 'Fresno of the East Coast' is almost as Californian as that one time in this thread where one guy said that Fremont experienced the horrors of 'white flight' when the white factory workers left Fremont to the Indian and Chinese tech workers.

If we're talking hopelessly economically depressed, you might consider Mendota/Firebaugh/Coalinga. I suggested Delano because it's a major location of gang activity, far beyond its small size. Obviously there's not a precise equivalence to Camden, land use patterns and population density are totally different between those parts of the country.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Well, there is lots of work to be had in the Westlands Water District, and the work is essential to the American empire, but the work is underpaid and brutal.

The people of Camden have just been thrown away.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

silence_kit posted:

I'm not sure if there really is a California equivalent to Camden, NJ. Camden has incredible poverty and is incredibly run down and depressed.

Calling Camden the 'Fresno of the East Coast' is almost as Californian as that one time in this thread where one guy said that Fremont experienced the horrors of 'white flight' when the white factory workers left Fremont to the Indian and Chinese tech workers.

there's been poo poo tons of white flight in the bay area, if what you mean is "white people fleeing as minorities show up"

however there was not economic devastation at the same scale as the rust belt obviously, because the Bay Area has a diverse economy and has been a huge magnet for asian and latin american immigration (which was one of the things that caused the white flight to begin with, along with all the black dockworkers moving here from the south during WWII), which helped to offset and then eventually reverse the population loss caused by the postwar exodus of whiteys to the suburbs

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rah! posted:

there's been poo poo tons of white flight in the bay area, if what you mean is "white people fleeing as minorities show up"

That's not really why people say white flight is a bad thing though. If white people are the root of all evil, wouldn't white people leaving an area be a good thing?

Usually the reason why people say white flight is a bad thing has more to do with how when white people left many cities in America, they took the local economies & government tax revenues with them, leaving minorities in poverty. But this is not really what happened in Fremont California. In fact, the opposite happened. White people left Fremont, and the city became richer.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/mslopatto/status/1255635644157579265?s=19

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Even more sure we're doing the right thing now.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Full quote

https://twitter.com/OliviaRudgard/s...agenumber%3D777

I thought the reason why you came to America was because Apartheid ended

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
For those wondering why Musk has chosen now of all times to flip out, it's because he just managed to boost Tesla's stock ahead of today's earnings call last Friday by reassuring investors that manufacturing would all be back to 100% as soon as the SiP ended on May 3rd. Then the very next Monday the Bay Area SiP got extended :allears:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Sydin posted:

For those wondering why Musk has chosen now of all times to flip out, it's because he just managed to boost Tesla's stock ahead of today's earnings call last Friday by reassuring investors that manufacturing would all be back to 100% as soon as the SiP ended on May 3rd. Then the very next Monday the Bay Area SiP got extended :allears:

Also because people will start looking into the obviously cooked books if he tries to claim amazing sales next quarter

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

silence_kit posted:

Sounds like Yuba City/Marysville then.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Sydin posted:

Wow, that is monumentally stupid, it's like magical thinking. The curve hasn't even gone down yet, he could have seen this coming.

I'm surprised investors haven't kicked him out already.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 30, 2020

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
most cities north of sacramento in the valley are run down and extremely poor. the sierras/shasta/coastal not as much due to tourism.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

I'm surprised investors haven't kicked him out already.

Tesla cultists hold the stock and are not going to kick out their prophet.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Celexi posted:

Tesla cultists hold the stock and are not going to kick out their prophet.

He also just pulled some very sketchy stuff with the board, making them even more reliant on him personally

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/29/tesla-drops-do-insurance-board-to-rely-on-elon-musk-for-legal-costs.html

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FMguru posted:

Yet another reason to be glad you're living in California and not some other state:

https://twitter.com/ScottImmordino/status/1255231572233551872

There it is. Go back to work or lose your unemployment. Mitch McConnell is pushing for immunity from liability for employers whose employees get Corona on the job, that's his untouchable "red line" for signing off on the next Corona relief bill.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1255256656079982600

I am so, so, so glad I live in a big blue state.

How is this not an insanely violent act

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I wouldn't be surprised if people find inventive ways to get fired.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I had a job that managed to get myself fired out of and they paying a penalty for firing me, its not impossible but if you don't know the workplace that you are at cliques, who they relate with, politics can be difficult.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Glumslinger posted:

Also because people will start looking into the obviously cooked books if he tries to claim amazing sales next quarter

Yeah, the numbers for Tesla look so out of whack its kinda funny

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if people find inventive ways to get fired.

We need to brainstorm methods that won't result in being denied unemployment.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Kenning posted:

I live to upset people from Massachusetts.

If we're talking hopelessly economically depressed, you might consider Mendota/Firebaugh/Coalinga. I suggested Delano because it's a major location of gang activity, far beyond its small size. Obviously there's not a precise equivalence to Camden, land use patterns and population density are totally different between those parts of the country.

Friendly reminder that there’s plenty of money in Central Valley industry and agriculture but because ~*~capitalism~*~ its funneled to the absentee owners down in Beverly Hills. Enjoy your almonds.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I mean, plenty of orchards are also owned by hedge funds based in NY. It's my pet theory as to why tree-topping is as common as it is in orchards, even though it's understood to significantly damage the long-term productivity of lots of tree crops (that is to say, the yearly savings on not paying for proper pruning is more appropriate when an orchard is an asset in a complex portfolio that might be traded away soon, as opposed to when the orchard is understood to be a 30 year investment on the part of a small-to-medium farm operation).

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Führer Newsom is at it again!

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1255702987059736578?s=20

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I was honestly surprised he didn't close them before and assumed (WRONGLY) everyone would be on their okest behavior.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

incoherent posted:

I was honestly surprised he didn't close them before and assumed (WRONGLY) everyone would be on their okest behavior.

I thought they were closed. :doh:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sundae posted:

I thought they were closed. :doh:

They’re kinda closed for leisure activity, like if you wanted to go jogging on the beach or take a hike on a local trail to get some exercise that was generally ok. But then it got hot and a bunch of people flocked to the beaches so whoops, now it’s officially on lockdown.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
LA County beaches have been closed for nearly a month now.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Mountain View Cemetery (in Oakland) was open for the first few weeks of the lockdown, but was closed when I drove by today. I'm surprised they didn't close it down earlier, it was packed every time I looked

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Wait so he could have done this before and just didn't? I thought the whole reason he was pleading for people not to go instead of just slamming the gates closed was because he didn't have the authority to close local/privately owned/etc beaches.

Goddammit Gavin :doh:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Sydin posted:

Wait so he could have done this before and just didn't? I thought the whole reason he was pleading for people not to go instead of just slamming the gates closed was because he didn't have the authority to close local/privately owned/etc beaches.

A most of cities closed their beaches, so it wasn't really necessary until OC reopened their beaches last weekend. Other places had closed the parking lots, and only allowed access for walking/jogging

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

HolHorsejob posted:

Mountain View Cemetery (in Oakland) was open for the first few weeks of the lockdown, but was closed when I drove by today. I'm surprised they didn't close it down earlier, it was packed every time I looked

:keke:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Sydin posted:

FYI, all California beaches are legally public property due to the California Coastal Act of 1976. Private properties adjacent to the beach are required to allow easements to allow everyone access to beaches. Anyone who claims to have a private beach (lots of wealthy assholes and resorts do) is full of poo poo and openly flouting the law.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

FYI, all California beaches are legally public property due to the California Coastal Act of 1976. Private properties adjacent to the beach are required to allow easements to allow everyone access to beaches. Anyone who claims to have a private beach (lots of wealthy assholes and resorts do) is full of poo poo and openly flouting the law.

Private beaches blew my mind when I moved to the east coast.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

This is frustrating. I've been taking my dog to the beach in San Francisco and people have been really very good about social distancing here. Masks on, wide distance between people as they walk, etc.

Oh well, I understand why Gavbot has to do it this way. Thanks OC.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
They have private beaches on the East Coast? Jesus.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bizarro Watt posted:

They have private beaches on the East Coast? Jesus.
Yet another reminder that: West Coast, best coast.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

droll posted:

We need to brainstorm methods that won't result in being denied unemployment.

so this is my critical question. i had an ok retail job but have no desire to go back to it and catch the roni because they push us back too soon (there will also be approximately zero customers and tons of thieves as the shoplifters know policy strictly forbids physically interdicting them). if they offer my job back can i just decline and remain on UI?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Ammanas posted:

so this is my critical question. i had an ok retail job but have no desire to go back to it and catch the roni because they push us back too soon (there will also be approximately zero customers and tons of thieves as the shoplifters know policy strictly forbids physically interdicting them). if they offer my job back can i just decline and remain on UI?

Where in California are you that is going to allow this (end Shelter in Place soon)?

I don't know. I think Gavin is going to lean Right on this one and will consider you resigning from your job and cut you off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ammanas posted:

CA EDD says they will still pay you unemployment if you voluntarily choose to stay home for fear for your safety. They have also temporarily waived the requirement that you must actively looking for work.

quote:

Would I qualify for benefits if I choose to stay home from work due to underlying health conditions and concerns about exposure to the virus?

You can be eligible for benefits if you choose to stay home. Once you file your claim, the EDD will contact you if we need more information.

quote:

Will I be ineligible for unemployment benefits if I answer no to the question about looking for work on my certification for ongoing payments?

You should answer the question truthfully. Given the unique economic situation and lack of available work created by COVID-19, the EDD has been able to adjust our usual eligibility requirements to allow us to automatically process a large volume of claims. You will not be penalized if you answer “no” to the question about looking for work and will be paid benefits for that week if you meet all other eligibility requirements.

https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019/faqs.htm