Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm sure the zombies are in there to get you spending hours on stealth sections you can't resolve after loving up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
RE4 is a better game than The Last of Us, and the credit sequence alone, not even the rest of the game, just the credit sequence, blows it out of the water in terms of the themes they wanted the player to understand. I don't know why people are getting mad about a sequel that hasn't even released yet when it's original game couldn't even outdo a game that came out fifteen years ago.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Part of that is the zombie craze being extremely over but it's going to be extremely funny if Ellie's immunity turns out to be a non-factor in the game and civilization is rebuilding anyway. Joel Did Nothing Wrong.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

remember when romero films used zombies as just a backdrop to whatever else he wanted to talk about at the time and one involves a bunch of scientists and high level military people all of supposed above average intelligence in a secure situation eventually killing themselves with zombies out of stupidity.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Romero had messages besides We Live In A Post-Apocalyptic Society.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't particularly care for zombies but the fungus zombies are kind of cool visually.

I doubt they'll have much narrative impact in this game though because pretty much everything you can do with a mindless zombie has been seen by audiences now. They'll be there to force you into gameplay sections of questionable entertainment value and that's about it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Stux posted:

remember when romero films used zombies as just a backdrop to whatever else he wanted to talk about at the time and one involves a bunch of scientists and high level military people all of supposed above average intelligence in a secure situation eventually killing themselves with zombies out of stupidity.

Yeah. This is the same reason I really like science fiction stories with strong characters and human stories. It's fun to see developed characters in situations that are beyond reckoning.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gologle posted:

RE4 is a better game than The Last of Us, and the credit sequence alone, not even the rest of the game, just the credit sequence, blows it out of the water in terms of the themes they wanted the player to understand. I don't know why people are getting mad about a sequel that hasn't even released yet when it's original game couldn't even outdo a game that came out fifteen years ago.

RE6 is better than both RE4 and TLOU, that doesn't mean they're not all good games

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Zombies are good but they're best in left for dead style games. Anyway I read all the spoilers and it sounds dumb.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The best zumble game will always be Dead Rising though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWZVKU5imx0

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I just want to see the zombie world based around this sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V6FjGhHwBY

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kavak posted:

Romero had messages besides We Live In A Post-Apocalyptic Society.

only sometimes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's also worth mentioning that "is extremely smart at a branch of science" does not translate to "is a put-together and competent person." Being a genius at surgery doesn't mean you're not the kind of guy who writes his password on a sticky note taped to his computer.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
this is probably how things will go down

-Abby and friends kill Joel and beat Ellie
-next couple chapters show Abby and her friends and expand on their character a bit, humanise them and show that they're probably decent people(as decent as you can be to survive the apocalypse) and may even regret what they've just done
-Ellie starts killing them one by one Predator style and Abby becomes more and more unhinged as her friends drop like flies around her
-Abby does the 2 on 1 beatdown and is ready to cut a pregnant bitch up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

this is probably how things will go down

-Abby and friends kill Joel and beat Ellie
-next couple chapters show Abby and her friends and expand on their character a bit, humanise them and show that they're probably decent people(as decent as you can be to survive the apocalypse) and may even regret what they've just done
-Ellie starts killing them one by one Predator style and Abby becomes more and more unhinged as her friends drop like flies around her
-Abby does the 2 on 1 beatdown and is ready to cut a pregnant bitch up

That sounds pretty much like what the spoilers say, yeah. Ellie supposedly kills a bunch of Abby's friends after Abby goes out of her way not to kill her which is why she is that bonkers by the end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hope that reasoning behind the leak is true. It would also shut up the folks that were like "Think of Naughty Dog, this only hurts everyone, direct action is too extreme"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hope that reasoning behind the leak is true. It would also shut up the folks that were like "Think of Naughty Dog, this only hurts everyone, direct action is too extreme"

It seems likely given their treatment of others. Is it disrespectful to the other developers and workers that care about it? Probably. Is it an awful terrible action? Nah.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Think of Corporation is always a lovely argument that always stems from wanting to assume the people who make your media are your friend.

Like, okay, let's think of Naughty dog... hmm... 70% turn over for TLOU2 and multiple complaints of horrid work place conditions.

I have thought of Naughty Dog.

gently caress Naughty Dog.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there's a "screwed the pooch" joke in here somewhere

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

ImpAtom posted:

That sounds pretty much like what the spoilers say, yeah. Ellie supposedly kills a bunch of Abby's friends after Abby goes out of her way not to kill her which is why she is that bonkers by the end.

Goes out of her way not to kill her? Have you seen the cutscene? That happening to anyone is like the beginning of their revenge story

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hibbloes posted:

Goes out of her way not to kill her? Have you seen the cutscene? That happening to anyone is like the beginning of their revenge story

Aren't there two incidents: the Abby kills Joel scene happens early and Abby almost kills Ellie and Dina is the dramatic turn at the end of the story

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stux posted:

its absolutely over the top in that manner but for me the fidelity in how its rendered is what pushes it over i think

like in a lot of older gory b movies like that its over the top and ridiculous while also being quite obviously very fake. the MK ones for me are simultaneously too realistic and too over the top

Hmm I guess that makes sense. There is a difference between spaghetti-o colored water and realistically oozing blood, even if both are fake.

Either way very uncool to make the artists look at real corpses and injuries all day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hibbloes posted:

There are multiple cutscenes. The most extreme one is at the very end of the game.

From what I understand from spoilers it is basically:

Abby and friends track down and kill Joel but do not kill Ellie.
Ellie is obviously Not Okay with that and goes after them for revenge.
Lots of people die and by the end Abby is out of control and going for revenge against Ellie. She is a heartbeat away from doing it but pulls back at the last minute.
The actual ending is Ellie going off for revenge again despite people around her begging her not to.

It's basically a cycle of "You killed MY DAD." "You killed *MY* Dad." "You killed all my friends!" "You killed and hurt my friends!" *action figures mush together, some arms fall off.*

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 30, 2020

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

ImpAtom posted:

There are multiple cutscenes. The most extreme one is at the very end of the game.

yeah but i think they kinda trigger the same reaction in elly, whether you're murdering her foster dad, brutalizing her personally, or brutalizing her grilfriend, abby is kinda setting herself up for death by vengeance in a classic video game trope style. obviously i havent played it, but i cant imagine a single thing abby could do prior to any of these that make elly seem like it was a justifiable thing to let go.

that being said i cant imagine a better ending in anything for the old "best served cold" adage than just getting one upped and dying cause you went in after it

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SIGSEGV posted:

They are, because the game says they are, because the game presents them as such and because other characters treat them as such, hardened bandits and smugglers. That have been doing that for twenty years. If they don't appear to be prepared for their jobs, it's a little problem.

The problem with the bandit motorized infantry battalion isn't only that they piss it away on two idiots, it's that they have it in the first place, and are maintaining it, while only preying on a few travelers a month. The math doesn't check out. If they were a polity known to be excessively territorial and aggressive, it would only have the first problem.

I could go and say, there's the problem of nobody fixing their walls, or cleaning poo poo up, or the chest height walls everywhere, but I don't, because I can accept that because it's a video game.

The problem with the machine gun car isn't the realism of it- the bandit community isn't really portrayed as living much of a life anyway, but that the machine gun car sequences really suck in terms of gameplay- you might have a tense fight with some hunters but then the car comes to usher you to the next cutscene or to do a nice run and talk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hibbloes posted:

yeah but i think they kinda trigger the same reaction in elly, whether you're murdering her foster dad, brutalizing her personally, or brutalizing her grilfriend, abby is kinda setting herself up for death by vengeance in a classic video game trope style. obviously i havent played it, but i cant imagine a single thing abby could do prior to any of these that make elly seem like it was a justifiable thing to let go.

that being said i cant imagine a better ending in anything for the old "best served cold" adage than just getting one upped and dying cause you went in after it

I mean that's kind of the point. Abby went after Joel because he murdered her father and people she cared about. Ellie then responds the exact same way Abby did, which makes Abby respond in kind. Abby kind of breaks off at the last moment but that just means Ellie is going after her again now. Neither of them are capable of letting go of their desire for revenge and it spills over to the people around them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 30, 2020

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I don't get why people are hating on last of us I thought it was fun the story was alright. I don't understand what Joel did that makes him a bad guy except he like says he did some bad stuff? He is only ever really shown killing people in self defense except the end.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
He only killed one hospital full of people, he's fine.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Abby did nothing wrong

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

ImpAtom posted:

I mean that's kind of the point. Abby went after Joel because he murdered her father and people she cared about.

Right, i agree with you on that completely. i kinda mean that the way abby commits these acts (brutal murder of foster father, explicit in a traumatic way) she is making sure she traumatizes elly and fertilizing the grounds of revenge. she doesn't sneak a poison pill into joel's cuppa. she's triggering elly's desire for revenge in a way that doesn't make "well, why dont you just let it go?" seem sensible to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

i must compose posted:

I don't get why people are hating on last of us I thought it was fun the story was alright. I don't understand what Joel did that makes him a bad guy except he like says he did some bad stuff? He is only ever really shown killing people in self defense except the end.

Joel is pretty unambigious about the fact that before he met Ellie he wasn't exactly picky about what he did to survive. He was part of a bandit group for some period of time and admits to straight up murdering people. He is softened over the course of the story by Ellie's presence but it doesn't really undo the "I murdered a lot of people" thing, especially when the ending involves him murdering a lot more people. You can argue the justification/not justification of what he did but the critical point is that to the character none of that mattered and he would have committed the same murder no matter what.

It's worth remembering that the last person Joel kills in the same he kills because "you'll come after me." Which he is not wrong about and it turns out that a different survivor comes after him instead.

Hibbloes posted:

Right, i agree with you on that completely. i kinda mean that the way abby commits these acts (brutal murder of foster father, explicit in a traumatic way) she is making sure she traumatizes elly and fertilizing the grounds of revenge. she doesn't sneak a poison pill into joel's cuppa. she's triggering elly's desire for revenge in a way that doesn't make "well, why dont you just let it go?" seem sensible to me.

It doesn't seem like she's thinking ahead. She is a traumatized person seeking a visceral revenge. She isn't thinking about a lifelong feud of ever-increasing violence, she just is thinking short-term about revenge. Which it sounds like is the exact same trap Ellie falls into because she goes out a'killin' and it ends up bringing the violence back to the people close to her at the end. Neither character is thinking of a logical sensible outcome. They're looking for an outlet for their anger.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 30, 2020

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
If the story is Abby went after Joel for killing his dad only for Ellie to turn sicko and goes on a rampage and THEN Abby goes Shao Kahn on her rear end im onboard. Im day one on tlou3 if the game is Abby going after Ellie just because she doesnt know when to loving stop.

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 30, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

If the story is Abby went after Joel for killing his dad only for Ellie to turn sicko and goes on a rampage and THEN Abby goes Shao Kahn on her rear end im onboard. Im day one on tlou3 if the game is Abby going after Ellie just because she doesnt know when to loving stop.

It sounds like it's the opposite. Abby goes after Joel, Ellie goes for revenge, Abby goes for revenge for that, and then the ending is Ellie abandoning her loved ones and her life to chase Abby for more revengin'.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the last of us rising, revengeance

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stux posted:

the last of us rising, revengeance

i could forgive any plot if tlou2 was half as fun as revengance

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Brother Entropy posted:

i could forgive any plot if tlou2 was sympathy for lady vengeance starring abby

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean if Joel comes back as a cyborg ninja with a katana then I will probably actually buy this game.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

"Rules of Nature" blaring as your katana bisects a pregnant woman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FallenGod posted:

"Rules of Nature" blaring as your katana bisects a pregnant woman.

That's really more DmC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

ImpAtom posted:

It sounds like it's the opposite. Abby goes after Joel, Ellie goes for revenge, Abby goes for revenge for that, and then the ending is Ellie abandoning her loved ones and her life to chase Abby for more revengin'.

leak spoilers i think(?) i read that ellie supposedly dies to abby in the end, and while they've portrayed it as a "oh my god what have i become" bit, it seems like abby's emphasis on more dakka puts her out ahead in the cycle of vengeance. Was that a fake leak? Really if joel had gone through and cleaned out the firefly's kindercare, the idea might be less "cycles of violence are messy and uncontrollable" and more "be thorough".