Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

El Grillo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDcYwCrxMOA

So it looks like Dead & Buried 2 has gotten a Horde Mode?
If so I might consider picking it up, the first one's horde maps were a lot of fun.

This looks like a cross between TF2 king of the hill and L4D Survival mode?

Production quality appears to have improved significantly, might be worth checking out now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So it’s been a while since I kept up to date with any Quest news — is there anything I can install or hack to get it streaming/casting to Twitch or Discord? Is Facebook streaming still as good as it’s going to get?

E: I’ll answer my own thing here. I ended up with some good/great results by buying a cheap Chomecast-receiver app for my Mac and just casting to that. From there I could re-broadcast that to Twitch/Youtube via OBS or Discord directly. Works really well IMO. Much preferable to Facebook’s thing. There may be a cheaper/free way to do it but I couldn’t be bothered to look for any open-source Chromecast receivers so I was fine paying the twenty bucks or whatever for the functionality.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 29, 2020

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone tried the new Beatsaber track generator? UploadVR suggests it works pretty well on certain types of songs: https://uploadvr.com/beat-sage-ai-beat-saber-custom/

Thinking about trying it out on a couple of tracks I mapped last month, I think my efforts were fine but quite... nontraditional in style compared to what the community seems to like in BS maps lol.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Ok, so I have more stupid question.

The Queet 128gb is back in stock on amazon, but is £100 more expensive than 64gb. I want to just use it for link so that extra storage is useless for me, but did anybody else go for the 64 under the same thinking and regret filling it up?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
BeatSage AI maps are super, super terrible. "It works pretty well" is a gross overstatement.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Fingerless Gloves posted:

The Queet 128gb is back in stock on amazon, but is £100 more expensive than 64gb. I want to just use it for link so that extra storage is useless for me, but did anybody else go for the 64 under the same thinking and regret filling it up?

64 gig is fine. You can use sidequest to backup any save data if you need to delete games for space.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

eddiewalker posted:

Pixel Ripped 1995 is the most fun I’ve had with the Quest in a while.
Did you play the original? I beat it but got frustrated with the amount of greys and flashing colors all over the screen that somehow, in combination, would make me feel blind from the visual overload. I was hoping '95 would be better because it's fully in color.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

BeatSage AI maps are super, super terrible. "It works pretty well" is a gross overstatement.

Pretty much. Once in a blue moon it’ll poo poo out an ok pattern but ultimately it’s a giant joke.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Oh cool, Quest 64gb is back in on Amazon UK if anybody is looking like I was

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Even loading it up with Quest stuff, I don't think I've seen a Quest game in the store that is more than 2gb. I also have a bunch of videos on mine taking up more space and it's not even half full.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

64gb is more than plenty esp as you said if you're primarily using it for link... BUT it might honestly be a better deal than the scalpers' price on the 64gb if you're looking to pick one up soon in light of *gestures broadly at everything,* since it seems out of stock everywhere.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

64gb is more than plenty esp as you said if you're primarily using it for link... BUT it might honestly be a better deal than the scalpers' price on the 64gb if you're looking to pick one up soon in light of *gestures broadly at everything,* since it seems out of stock everywhere.

Even then I'd say wait for the 64gb to come back in stock (as it has a few times in the last 2 weeks) and just spend the extra £100 on cables and poo poo for Link.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh cool, Quest 64gb is back in on Amazon UK if anybody is looking like I was

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I liked that game.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

"Final Fantasy 7? Heh no thanks I've got QUEST 64"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Frankly it's money left on the table that they haven't paid Square money to make Oculus Dragon Quest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

Frankly it's money left on the table that they haven't paid Square money to make Oculus Dragon Quest.

Squeenix aren't exactly hard up for money, and the investment return on a game the scale of Dragon Quest made for just the Oculus store wouldn't even come close to breaking even. Something like that (even if "just" a DQ game with a VR mode option) would absolutely be a SteamVR game, just to try and hit a decent sales figure across as many potential platforms as possible.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Squeenix aren't exactly hard up for money, and the investment return on a game the scale of Dragon Quest made for just the Oculus store wouldn't even come close to breaking even. Something like that (even if "just" a DQ game with a VR mode option) would absolutely be a SteamVR game, just to try and hit a decent sales figure across as many potential platforms as possible.

It was a joke. Possible alternate jokes include Oculus Questmania, Oculus Quest For Glory, Oculus Costume Quest and Oculus King's Quest.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Finally, the world gets to see Dragon Quest Swords 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

It was a joke. Possible alternate jokes include Oculus Questmania, Oculus Quest For Glory, Oculus Costume Quest and Oculus King's Quest.

What, no Space Quest? :colbert:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

njsykora posted:

This actually exists, you just have to be in Shinjuku VR zone to try it (and there's a looong waiting list, I didn't get to when I went)

https://vrzone-pic.com/shinjuku/activity/dragonquestvr.html

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I've been enjoying my Vive (basic, not pro) for more than a year now and I'm thinking of upgrading to Index. I definitely want the controllers because Vive wands suck, but what about the headset? One thing I wanted to do in VR was play sims like Elite and Warthunder in VR but the screen door effect and hard to read text really turned me off - is that better with the index headset?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lowen posted:

I've been enjoying my Vive (basic, not pro) for more than a year now and I'm thinking of upgrading to Index. I definitely want the controllers because Vive wands suck, but what about the headset? One thing I wanted to do in VR was play sims like Elite and Warthunder in VR but the screen door effect and hard to read text really turned me off - is that better with the index headset?

Yes. The Index is 100% better in all aspects compared to the Vive.

Source: I had an OG Vive and upgraded to the Index and have not thought about my Vive since.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
anyone got a shortlist of good sitting games? got my quest and link in yesterday, been messing with it a bit, and while i have enough room for the smaller roomscale stuff i can't really play it much past 11 without annoying the neighbors

i've started playing GNOG which I had free on Epic and it seems good and cute. I wanted to play dirt rally, but as far as I can tell, dirt rally 1 on steam does not support oculus link (I cannot get it to launch in VR), dirt rally 2.0 on xbox game pass does not support VR, and dirt rally 2.0 on steam is like sixty bucks so ugh

also, are there any oculus games that are known to be worse on Quest than on PC? I think if not I'm just gonna stick with buying as much on Quest as I can. the only one I know to avoid is Beat Saber for the extra complications of custom songs

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

abraham linksys posted:

anyone got a shortlist of good sitting games? got my quest and link in yesterday, been messing with it a bit, and while i have enough room for the smaller roomscale stuff i can't really play it much past 11 without annoying the neighbors

i've started playing GNOG which I had free on Epic and it seems good and cute. I wanted to play dirt rally, but as far as I can tell, dirt rally 1 on steam does not support oculus link (I cannot get it to launch in VR), dirt rally 2.0 on xbox game pass does not support VR, and dirt rally 2.0 on steam is like sixty bucks so ugh

also, are there any oculus games that are known to be worse on Quest than on PC? I think if not I'm just gonna stick with buying as much on Quest as I can. the only one I know to avoid is Beat Saber for the extra complications of custom songs

Sure, theres some 3rd person seated games, Chronos, Edge of Nowhere, Moss, Trover Saves the Universe

I expect you to Die is a fantastic game where you don't have to move. Star Trek Bridge Crew as well is fun as long as oyu like playing with strangers.

Theres lots of sims, driving, flying, space across the board.

Also a good chunk of regular VR games are perfectly fine being played seated, from HL:A to Lone Echo. I'll think you'll find more often than not you can play a game seated, though there are definitely some exceptions like say Onward, that don't allow that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

njsykora posted:

I don't get it. Why would they pay for a game called Dragon Warrior? Doesn't tie in to the Quest at all.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

Many of VRChat's worlds and avatars don't work on quest but that's free so I don't think it'll make a big difference. Most games I've seen so far that are on both are just a graphical downgrade on quest rather than any actual gameplay changes or issues.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

KakerMix posted:

Yes. The Index is 100% better in all aspects compared to the Vive.

Source: I had an OG Vive and upgraded to the Index and have not thought about my Vive since.
I wasn't ready to give up Wireless so I got a Vive Pro instead of Index. Valve's been really cagey about whether or not a Wireless adapter could/will ever exist.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Gloomy Rube posted:

Many of VRChat's worlds and avatars don't work on quest but that's free so I don't think it'll make a big difference. Most games I've seen so far that are on both are just a graphical downgrade on quest rather than any actual gameplay changes or issues.

i kinda feel like, since my pc is at the low end of vr-ready (i5-7600k/gtx 1060), i should probably just stick with "downgraded but stable" visuals versus "better but potentially choppy"? maybe overthinkin it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gloomy Rube posted:

Speaking of VRChat in general, the Udon showcase stuff has been really impressive. According to the dev livestream they did recently they reckon you can just about mimic any game you can think of with it natively (As opposed to the old way of making Triggers do things they were never intended for to work with the VRChat Unity whitelist).

https://twitter.com/ville672/status/1253827679842971649

https://twitter.com/frfrfruits/status/1254384689852252161

https://twitter.com/_Lati_/status/1254389493085372416

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I had the thought when I got my Quest that it's like the Switch, you'll probably notice the graphical downgrade if you played it elsewhere but if you don't you won't really notice it. The bigger difference I think is just whether you want to play the game on or off the Link, like I can't imagine playing Beat Saber with a cable attached to the headset and I think there are Dark Arts to get custom songs onto the Quest version anyway.

abraham linksys posted:

as far as I can tell, dirt rally 1 on steam does not support oculus link (I cannot get it to launch in VR), dirt rally 2.0 on xbox game pass does not support VR, and dirt rally 2.0 on steam is like sixty bucks so ugh

It is kind of annoying how some games just don't play nice with the Link even if they support SteamVR, and if they do work with the Link it can be touch and go whether they work with the Touch controllers. I wanted to play Ballistic NG earlier in VR and it launched in VR mode but still in that virtual desktop window which was frustrating.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
So I've used my Quest maybe 2 or 3 times since this covid hit the US.

I think I just need to accept that the tech isn't quite where I need it in order to be enthusiastic about it.

How many other Quest users in this thread have thought about selling it and waiting for things to mature before delving back into VR?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

moolchaba posted:

I think I just need to accept that the tech isn't quite where I need it in order to be enthusiastic about it.

How many other Quest users in this thread have thought about selling it and waiting for things to mature before delving back into VR?

I use mine about once a week

I think the technology is fine. Waiting for more games. I think budget cuts 1/2 is supposed to come out for the Quest at some point, that's my killer app after beat Saber and thrill of the Fight

Re: jrpg chat, I would play the poo poo out of a FF VR thing. Give me a short episodic thing like the Vader series, or a longer form thing

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

abraham linksys posted:

The only one I know to avoid is Beat Saber for the extra complications of custom songs

Its really not that hard to import songs on the quest version once you've got it set up (set up isn't complicated as well)

You just basically create an account on bsaber.com, favourite all the songs you want to add. Load up bmbf in the quest and sync the files and your golden.

Basically the only thing you need to do is wait to update when the game gets updated until the devs have updated bmbf to support anything that gets broken with the Beat Saber updates.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What, no Space Quest? :colbert:

About as likely as Spaceventure at this point.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

How can you forget Police Quest.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

moolchaba posted:

Not me, but I don't blame anyone who feels things needs a bit more of time in the oven. I'm also not super enthusiastic fan unlike other people, imo there are still not a lot of GOOD games for VR, the kind that will stand the test of time, and things like VR videos (yesterday I was watching some concerts on youtube VR, and while it started with a decent video quality, the moment the video started to mix darkness and blinking lights of the concerts it all turned into what it seemed a 360p video) also makes me think we still are in the early adopter phase of the technology. Maybe in two more years?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

i've started playing GNOG which I had free on Epic and it seems good and cute. I wanted to play dirt rally, but as far as I can tell, dirt rally 1 on steam does not support oculus link (I cannot get it to launch in VR),

It worked for me without problems. It's how I tried it two weeks ago.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have anyone tried to connect some Bluetooth headphones with the Quest? Using the setting app in Sidequest, like
https://www.androidcentral.com/how-use-headphones-oculus-quest

edit: my old TWS connected, not the new ones. The latency was hilariously high, in Eleven TT the ping pong ball 1st bounce would sound closer to the visual of the second bounce. I guess this is why it's disabled and hidden.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
The thing about the Quest (and VR in general) at it's current stage it is it really lends itself to short, repeatable experiences, or multiplayer.

The budgets for the kinds of grand games with long, immersive stories that people are used to on PC and console are out of reach for most developers budgets and as such are very slow between releases.

As someone whose played a million games in my lifetime and generally gets bored easy once I've seen all of the mechanics, I often find myself looking for the next thing. Especially with how time poor I am with a demanding job and kids.

It took me awhile to shift my mindset back into the games I already have and retry levels to get better scores, improve my runs or use them to stay fit. But I've had a great time doing so.