Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"I miss when my good buddies Genesis and Angeal would group in a circle with me and we would stab each other with our swords :("

-Sephiroth, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gologle posted:

"I miss when my good buddies Genesis and Angeal would group in a circle with me and we would stab each other with our swords :("

-Sephiroth, probably

Just standard locker room behaviour. Boys will be boys.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's like one of those gag knives that looks like you're just stabbing someone. Berret just played along.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I'm amazed he manages to get people on the pointy end as often as he does considering what a bitch it's gotta be to maneuver that thing. Be easier to slice em' in half but nooooo gotta keep our precious impalement record intact.

If I had the option to actually name him game I'd rename Sephiroth to Poke Cake.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Flopsy posted:

I'm amazed he manages to get people on the pointy end as often as he does considering what a bitch it's gotta be to maneuver that thing. Be easier to slice em' in half but nooooo gotta keep our precious impalement record intact.

If I had the option to actually name him game I'd rename Sephiroth to Poke Cake.

You know it's a hanzo steel katana so we wields it quite deftly and easily because katanas are THE BEST.

If cloud used his sword to impale berret, he'd STILL be loving dead.

What do you think Berret saw on the other side while dead. Reason he doesn't talk about it?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
https://twitter.com/yououuii/status/1255125740422483968

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love Cloud's portrayal in this game so drat much

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

I love Cloud's portrayal in this game so drat much

Like Nomura said he's a socially stunted 16 year old in a 21 year old body. They have nailed that flawlessly. I really do love they've chosen to emphasize Cloud's dorkiness instead being too cool for school. It's refreshing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

They finally high five successfully after the Hell House fight. :unsmith::hf::j:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Sinteres posted:

Sephiroth does touch Aerith's shoulder in the first scene with her where she meets Cloud, so it could be that some kind of history got imparted to her there (in the same way that Aerith touching Marlene and Red seems to affect them). It's weird though because that's part of a hallucination by Cloud, so maybe it's just symbolic. It would fit with him goading her into changing destiny though.

Aerith also touches Cloud which lets him see the canon ghosts for the first time. It seems like both Sephiroth and Aerith know about the future because of their connection to the Lifestream.

Also there's some cool references in the painting on Aerith's wall in Shinra HQ. Looks like Meteor, and a bunch of the summons are featured. The summons themselves seem to be written into the story more, although it's probably just neat little nods to events like Shiva being responsible for sealing the Northern Crater back when Jenova showed up.

RatHat posted:

They finally high five successfully after the Hell House fight. :unsmith::hf::j:

I want to find the clip of the victory fanfare when they beat Hell House (or is it the battle before that?) and there's fireworks everywhere. I also noticed that every fighter during the Colosseum gets their own portrait and W-L listed on the monitor above the entrance. So much attention to detail in this drat game.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 30, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RatHat posted:

I just rewatched this moment and the slow windup to actually high-fiving is adorable

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dreylad posted:

Aerith also touches Cloud which lets him see the canon ghosts for the first time. It seems like both Sephiroth and Aerith know about the future because of their connection to the Lifestream.

Also there's some cool references in the painting on Aerith's wall in Shinra HQ. Looks like Meteor, and a bunch of the summons are featured. The summons themselves seem to be written into the story more, although it's probably just neat little nods to events like Shiva being responsible for sealing the Northern Crater back when Jenova showed up.

Am I the only one really craving a "The Thing" esque flashback showing what happened after Jenova first landed and started going after the Cetra? Because that would be both amazing and horrible as gently caress. Like really emphasize this a unknowable barely sapient creature from beyond the stars and Hojo has the absolute worst hard on for injecting poo poo with it's cells.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Flopsy posted:

Am I the only one really craving a "The Thing" esque flashback showing what happened after Jenova first landed and started going after the Cetra? Because that would be both amazing and horrible as gently caress. Like really emphasize this a unknowable barely sapient creature from beyond the stars and Hojo has the absolute worst hard on for injecting poo poo with it's cells.

No I'm with you on wanting to see more of that stuff, could be pretty cool. Even just a bit more info on Jenvoa would be interesting although I get that there probably shouldn't be much more to it than "ancient alien." They kinda underplayed the horror and creepy aspects in the Remake in the Shinra building -- no finding president Shinra already impaled, no close-up of Jenova's body in a tank -- it'd be nice to see it played out in later games.

If I remember correctly from the original game, Jenova was initially fully sentient because she/it pretended to be one of the Cetra for a little while. I assume what happened is they killed the creature and its inelligence, but her/its body didn't die and continues to be able to influence things, or be used TO influence things.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 30, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dreylad posted:

If I remember correctly from the original game, Jenova was initially fully sentient because she/it pretended to be one of the Cetra for a little while. I assume what happened is they killed the creature and its inelligence, but her/its body didn't die and continues to be able to influence things, or be used TO influence things.

Yeah, Jenova's basically like a more cosmically-powerful version of the Thing, where it can shapeshift and imitate its victims. The way it so thoroughly annihilated the Cetra was by constantly infiltrating and undermining them, destroying them from the inside by imitating Cetra that it killed and infecting others with its cells so it could control them with mental suggestion.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

That would be sick. I hope they amp up the horror in general next time, but I think they'll do a good job of that even if the Shinra sequence didn't have the exactly same horror flavor to it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

BaDandy posted:

That would be sick. I hope they amp up the horror in general next time, but I think they'll do a good job of that even if the Shinra sequence didn't have the exactly same horror flavor to it.

I feel like what they will do with Nibelheim will be killer, I can see them lean into the Lovecraftian elements of the story there

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I hope they still make it playable on top of that.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dreylad posted:

As far as I remember it was at least vaguely established that it initially was just running on instinct and taking whatever shape suited it at the time, but eventually developed a distinct personality and began appearing in a specific female form(that probably resembled the form in the tank but less gross-looking so it could pass as an actual human). After getting entombed in rock for a few thousand years, that personality "died" and all that remained was a mostly inert mass of cells that was only sort of alive. That's probably how it would have stayed if Shinra hadn't decided to just start injecting people with it. Because Sephiroth was infected as an embryo, he ended up becoming kind of a new avatar for it. After Nibelheim, it seems like Sephiroth's personality ended up essentially taking the place of the old personality that it lost. But ultimately it kind of doesn't matter, because whichever personality it has it always has the same goal of absorbing the Planet's lifestream and then using the energy to find a new planet to eat. That's just the lifecycle of the organism.

honestly it's kind of disconcerting to remember that it's never actually established where the gently caress Jenova came from. Maybe space is full of Jenovas. Given the fact that absorbing the lifestream would have theoretically elevated it to godhood, maybe this is the first planet it's ever landed on. Maybe it's the equivalent of a newly-born larva of its species, and there's millions of fully-grown planet-sized nightmare monsters floating around the universe.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

cock hero flux posted:

honestly it's kind of disconcerting to remember that it's never actually established where the gently caress Jenova came from.

SR388

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Sexy Lavos.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I dunno, that description makes Jenova sound more like Lavos, which I'm not sure I like.

E: Schwartzcough :argh:

anakha fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 30, 2020

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
That's a really good point that Jenova technically should have been the big alien thing that comes out of nowhere as the final boss in the OG but uhhh, nope.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Jenova, Mitochondria, something from Xenogears and Lavos all stemmed from the same design session basically. In the same way Chrono Trigger get its start as a part of Secret of Mana. A lot of early Square RPGs in that era basically all stem from the same DNA structure.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

As far as I remember it was at least vaguely established that it initially was just running on instinct and taking whatever shape suited it at the time, but eventually developed a distinct personality and began appearing in a specific female form(that probably resembled the form in the tank but less gross-looking so it could pass as an actual human). After getting entombed in rock for a few thousand years, that personality "died" and all that remained was a mostly inert mass of cells that was only sort of alive. That's probably how it would have stayed if Shinra hadn't decided to just start injecting people with it. Because Sephiroth was infected as an embryo, he ended up becoming kind of a new avatar for it. After Nibelheim, it seems like Sephiroth's personality ended up essentially taking the place of the old personality that it lost. But ultimately it kind of doesn't matter, because whichever personality it has it always has the same goal of absorbing the Planet's lifestream and then using the energy to find a new planet to eat. That's just the lifecycle of the organism.

honestly it's kind of disconcerting to remember that it's never actually established where the gently caress Jenova came from. Maybe space is full of Jenovas. Given the fact that absorbing the lifestream would have theoretically elevated it to godhood, maybe this is the first planet it's ever landed on. Maybe it's the equivalent of a newly-born larva of its species, and there's millions of fully-grown planet-sized nightmare monsters floating around the universe.

If that's the case I wonder of Jenova ever developed an obsession with one of the Cetra itself because that's sure as hell what Sephiroth is doing. I mean for a malevolent alien presence generally it wouldn't make any sense to want to spare another creature while it ate the rest of world purely out of... I dunno /respect/lust/reverence? I mean all implications are pointing to Sephiroth wanting Cloud to keep him company and JOIN him on this eternal journey he has planned and he seems pretty bummed when Cloud turns him down. I just wonder if that's strictly Sephiroth's personality branching out.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Onmi posted:

Jenova, Mitochondria, something from Xenogears and Lavos all stemmed from the same design session basically. In the same way Chrono Trigger get its start as a part of Secret of Mana. A lot of early Square RPGs in that era basically all stem from the same DNA structure.

Mitochondria Eve is Sephiroth's gender bend right down to eye color just like Aya Brea is for Cloud.

Their dynamic is the same too lol

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/parasiteeve/images/a/ac/Ayamelissa.png/revision/latest?cb=20130604111844

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 30, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Onmi posted:

And surprisingly, the basis for XIII came from that session too.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
To further highlight how tanky JENOVA is, remember that it did actually survive the endgame of FF7. The whole point of Advent Children was the 3 Stooges trying to find JENOVA's remnant that Rufus hid in the stupidest location possible just so he could do his big reveal. It's probably dead post Advent Children though, unless I'm forgetting something about Genesis and Deepground, but he got purified by the Lifestream at the end of Crisis Core and I think Weiss is dead.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm guessing they're going to expand Professor Gast and Lucretia's roles/narrative at the very least.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

If that's the case I wonder of Jenova ever developed an obsession with one of the Cetra itself because that's sure as hell what Sephiroth is doing. I mean for a malevolent alien presence generally it wouldn't make any sense to want to spare another creature while it ate the rest of world purely out of... I dunno /respect/lust/reverence? I mean all implications are pointing to Sephiroth wanting Cloud to keep him company and JOIN him on this eternal journey he has planned and he seems pretty bummed when Cloud turns him down. I just wonder if that's strictly Sephiroth's personality branching out.

Sephiroth was already kind of single minded. This is the guy who actually stayed in a basement for days reading nothing but research books and papers. They keep saying that he has a strong will too and that probably comes with the single mindedness.

Like, realistically speaking, Cloud is the one who had to kill him like three times, once in the mental landscape place in the lifestream. And Cloud was super focused on him the first time around. He was obsessed with researching Jenova because that's the only thing he has a connection to that he knows of, and now it's Cloud, one of the few people left who knew him from before Nibelheim.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 30, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gologle posted:

To further highlight how tanky JENOVA is, remember that it did actually survive the endgame of FF7. The whole point of Advent Children was the 3 Stooges trying to find JENOVA's remnant that Rufus hid in the stupidest location possible just so he could do his big reveal. It's probably dead post Advent Children though, unless I'm forgetting something about Genesis and Deepground, but he got purified by the Lifestream at the end of Crisis Core and I think Weiss is dead.

It's never truly dead until the consciousness that keeps reanimating it gives up the ghost. Without a mind to command the cells they're mostly inert or borderline feral and easily dispatched at best.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What is dead may never die

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dreylad posted:

At the center of it is a depiction of Black Materia. It’s surrounded by all the life of the planet in that painting.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Remake has the best Jenova design. I loving loved The Thing-esque take on Dreamweaver. That is what Jenova should look like.
Reminder that Jenova only looks like a woman because it can shapeshift, and they happened to kill/imprison it while it was imitating a Cetra.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I noticed a fun little touch replaying the early parts on Hard. When Cloud gives Tifa the flower, he says, "A guy can change. Has been five years," and Tifa reacts with confusion. I didn't catch it the first time but I just remembered that's because it hasn't been five years for her--it's been longer, because she has no idea Cloud was there at Nibelheim five years ago. Nice little hint to a thing that won't be revealed until like two parts from now at least.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

Like, realistically speaking, Cloud is the one who had to kill him like three times, once in the mental landscape place in the lifestream. And Cloud was super focused on him the first time around. He was obsessed with researching Jenova because that's the only thing he has a connection to that he knows of, and now it's Cloud, one of the few people left who knew him from before Nibelheim.

So essentially what you're saying is Cloud is kind of the only person on the planet he even regards as "real" in any substantial way. The rest are just lifestream nuggets.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ascians...

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Well and Aerith, but she's an Ancient and also way more likely to gently caress up his plans.

Feel like it's gonna hit like a truck when I get to the tired rat man in FFXIV.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Flopsy posted:

So essentially what you're saying is Cloud is kind of the only person on the planet he even regards as "real" in any substantial way. The rest are just lifestream nuggets.

quote:

The man sensed a large flux in the Lifestream. A sign of another, different defeat. When the Lifestream erupted onto the surface of the planet, the man thought that Cloud was no doubt certain of his victory. Cloud was the one who had twice sent the man into the Lifestream. The man knew that if one could hold onto some core of their spirit, then one could remain a separate entity, independent from the planet’s system. Cloud. The man decided to make Cloud that core. And he wanted to let Cloud know of that. I’m still thinking of you. And I’ll show you the proof of that as well.

The man hid himself within the life on the planet and traveled around the world, branding even more people with his stigma. On the surface there were many people who no longer had their normal lives, and at the man’s temptation the dark parts of their hearts grew even larger.

Soon the man thought to himself; I want Cloud to know this is my doing. I want the humans to know this is my doing. For that he needed a body. There were things he wanted to say in his own voice. Things he wanted to shatter by his own hand.

The man thought of the future. As my servants are looking for Mother, if they come across someone who knows me, then from that spirit I can learn of who I once was. And with Mother’s further assistance, I can become fully real. Even if there’s something lacking, it doesn’t matter. Cloud will make me complete.

— That will be the beginning, the man thought.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 30, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The problem I have with Black and White sides is it really poo poo up the character presentation in the movie. It was like an excuse for why him and Aerith had to be one dimensional. Also he not so subtly wanted to torture Cloud to death in the film but not before burning the world down around him.

Here he's more like "Oh, I "like" you now and we're going for a ride whether you like it or not.

I guess you could take that quote in the context that instead of simply Godhood he wants Cloud to be with him as his personal witness to it.

Also he's going to need a gently caress buddy in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Flopsy posted:

The problem I have with Black and White sides is it really poo poo up the character presentation in the movie. It was like an excuse for why him and Aerith had to be one dimensional. Also he not so subtly wanted to torture Cloud to death in the film but not before burning the world down around him.

Here he's more like "Oh, I "like" you now and we're going for a ride whether you like it or not.

I guess you could take that quote in the context that instead of simply Godhood he wants Cloud to be with him as his personal witness to it.

Also he's going to need a gently caress buddy in space

cloud being so far the only one with jenova cells able to resist their influence probably drives a lot of that motivation