Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If a ship has been damaged, you can right click on its name in the left-hand panel and click “detach” to send it back to the nearest friendly port, though it may weave around a bit and reattach to the main fleet so it doesn’t always work smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Ugh, don't build a legacy fleet without cruisers.

"Please destroy this bombardment target with two destroyers which each have a single 3-inch gun"

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I just ignore bombardment missions until about 1920. Pre-dreadnaughts' accuracy is too poor to be able to both run off any enemies and destroy the target, so it's a guaranteed loss unless you sink enough enemy battlewagons. And LOL if the RNG decides to just send destroyers.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

FrozenVent posted:

Lookout at sea really isn’t that easy. I was happy when my lookouts could spot a container ship, never mind whether she had the lifeboat on... I can’t imagine seeing a grey torpedo leaving a grey ship.

Also, remember that one night in 1912 where a couple of trained lookout on a clear night missed a goddamn iceberg until it was right there.

I get what you are saying, but those old destroyers get reallll close to launch a torpedo attack.

quote:

Was it Jellicoe or the other guy who ordered a sudden turn and hosed everything up because he’d thought he’d seen a torpedo?

He didn’t just see a torpedo in the water, he saw 30 German destroyers (and all the German Battlecruisers) charge time within 500 yards of all 24 British dreadnoughts and launch a whole shitload of torpedos.

That “Jellicoe let the Germans escape by turning away” thing was what Admiral Beatty was selling after the battle—the guy who got 3 of the British Battlecruisers blown up by chasing the German Battlecruisers, and then didn’t bother to report contact with Scheer to Jellicoe after dark while the Germans escaped.

In reality turning away from a torpedo attack was not just British doctrine, but probably saved a number of British dreadnoughts eating torpedos. After which, the Grand Fleet would have to have engaged in a more even stern chase of Scheer’s 16 dreadnoughts...

And with how lovely British armor piercing shells were at Jutland (only a single large caliber British armor piercing shell penetrated a German ship that day and detonated properly)... that would have been a serious gamble.

And why gamble like that when, from a strategic perspective you thought you’d trapped the Germans and could face them tomorrow, and in any case your job as Jellicoe was just to contain the High Seas Fleet, preserve the Entente blockade, and not lose?

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 11, 2020

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

1.18 is out

https://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/2250/rtw2-v1-18-update-available

Changelog

quote:

-Air unit kills and bomb hit records are kept for 6 months after a war. If a new war starts within that time, they bring their score into the new war.
-Added option to continue searching if no contact between fleets.
-Bulges and additional deck armour are now removed when using a rebuilt ship as basis for a new design.
-Ships larger than 88000 tons cannot be bulged.
-Floatplanes on ships building will now not generate aircraft maintenance costs.
-Airship bases can now be expanded to have 16 airships. This gives airship anti-shipping activities a little more more effect.
-Reduced dock increases when using slow research speed.
-Adjusted tech developments better to slower research speeds.
-Submarine build now allows up to 12 subs and asks if you wish to generate a random name just before the ship build screen.
-Researching Improved AA director now automatically researches early AA director if not invented before.
-Fixed the bug that can occur when moving the cursor over an aircraft.
-Fixed the bug with additional deck armor adding weight.
-Fixed a bug when checking a rebuild to carrier with 6-inch casemated guns.

Also, this was in the discord

quote:

In other news, missiles will supposedly be in update 1.19, which possibly might come within 3 weeks, maybe.
:fap:

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Do I start a new game now or wait 3 weeks??

Also, is there a modding guide anywhere? I want to take the CSA start and make the CSA an African-American & Appalachian white dominated communist state.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I was going to be frustrated since I was waiting for that and had just given up and started doing some playing for my LP again last night, but it looks like they didn’t fix the turns not advancing bug anyway

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

1.19 out

Patch notes posted:

NOTE ON MISSILES FOR THE v1.19 UPDATE:
We really want to create a more complex rendering of all the missile types, which will take much more time and effort than it did for the basic missiles in 1.19.
In light of that fact, and the fact that 1.19 was taking longer than expected to complete, we decided to save work on those for later - possibly even as part of an expansion or DLC.
The basic missile system presented in 1.19 would be greatly expanded as part of this, along with other new features added of course...

THE FOLLOWING ARE THE CHANGES/FIXES FOR THE 1.19 UPDATE:
Ship displacement is now taken into account when counting ship strength for blockade and AI battle decline evaluation.
The AI will now take enemy local air strength into account when deciding if it should decline a battle.
Added option to limit the size of airbases when starting a game.
Slightly reduced the repair rate of land airbases.
Slightly reduced the hit chance against ships for non carrier trained land based aircraft.
Medium bombers with guided weapons will prefer guided bombs to torpedoes when selecting weapons loadout.
Added Early SAM and ASM.
Enlarged the battle accept screen to avoid clipped lines.
Removed unused displacement requirement when rebuilding ships.
CA with core orders will now stay in line and not flinch from enemy BB or BC.
Firefighting will not happen on a sinking ship.
Reduced air kill rates slightly for faster aircraft (air combat was too deadly).
Researching improved Electro optical director will now unlock electro optical director.
Carriers could be assigned to battles if they had assigned squadrons but no actual aircraft yet. This has been fixed.
Adjusted strategic pathfinding so the path with most base capacity will be preferred.
Big ships will not fire main batteries at sinking destroyers.
Ships will not select main battery targets that are not in the arc for any main guns (should help Nelson configuration ships pick targets better).
Improved division reforming if spread out (should help carriers to keep station on flagship).
Relaxed friendly ship on LOS check when firing torpedoes manually.
V turret now only lighter on BC and CA.
Blast effects from V turret will affect non casemated secondary gun ROF. (The intention is to make use of V turret a thing for BC with casemated secondaries.)
Using V turret will reduce AA slots by 10%.
Added Celebes and Moluccas possession as there was a base vacuum in the area.
Added Shana port on Etorufu Island (Hokkaido) to improve invadeability in the area.
Fixed a bug with flotation warning user setting not being registered.
Fixed a bug with a nation announcing it was joining a non-existent war.
Fixed a bug with CL up to 12000 tons not being allowed after 1940 as intended.
Fixed a bug that could cause miscounts in aircraft losses summary.
Fixed a minor bug that could make air strikes with mission ground attack search when they didn't need to.
Fixed a bug with air torpedoes sometimes being added to carrier torpedo totals.
Fixed a bug with the AI not building airbases as it should in contested areas.
Fixed a bug with ships being able to get get full AoN during a refit.
Fixed a bug that could make you approve enemy nations blitzkrieg plans.
Fixed a bug with ships under construction moving with a surprise attack force.
Fixed a problem with error messages when the AI was trying to build ships that were too fast.

Aside from the obvious addition of basic missiles, I'd say factoring displacement into blockade and AI calcs is a significant gameplay change. Various nerfs to V turret as well. Targeting changes are a welcome QoL update.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Am i correct to remember some vague promise of extending the timeline to like 1975 and fleshing out missiles eventually?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's a "V turret"?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Gort posted:

What's a "V turret"?

One of Japan’s biggest Naval ownings of Britain years before WW2.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Gort posted:

What's a "V turret"?

The designation for an "Aft Centerline Superimposed" turret position.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Gnoman posted:

The designation for an "Aft Centerline Superimposed" turret position.

Familiar from Tiger and the Kongos. In-game, V has been essentially a lighter X since RTW1. It disables cross-deck firing configurations which X does not, but that was basically the only disadvantage. ABVY was almost always superior to ABXY and I'm kind of glad of these changes for that reason.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

when does the shipbuilding malus as ussr go away? I only want to make ideologically pure ships.

e: how come av's have no asw value?

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 28, 2020

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Stairmaster posted:

when does the shipbuilding malus as ussr go away? I only want to make ideologically pure ships.

e: how come av's have no asw value?

I don’t think it ever does except maybe random event. I could be wrong though.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

1.20 hotfix

1.20 posted:

THE FOLLOWING ARE THE CHANGES/FIXES FOR THE 1.20 HOTFIX:
*Fixed issue that prevented manual torpedo fire
*Torpedo launch interface improved - you can now quickly cycle through all ships in a division

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If anyone’s interested, apparently you can mess around a bit with the text files to enable SSMs as well.

https://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/4828/experimenting-ssms

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

oh my god

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

New hull shapes? What's going on there?

Also, 20", :drat:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That’s a big boat.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Wait a sec, with the limited info on that ship card... does it mean the AI built that monstrosity?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yes unfortunately I never got to face it in battle.

e: incidentally I put an early SAM mount on my BB's and they're racking up a surprising amount of kills (like 4-6)

fake e: :stonk:

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 1, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

some random rear end questions: how thick do you armor your late game (post 1945) carriers? and how y'all feel about amcs

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You carrier armour should be two or three destroyer thick.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Is it considered acceptable to staple an obsolete cruiser hull to your carriers in a pinch if you don't have three destroyers available?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

FrozenVent posted:

You carrier armour should be two or three destroyer thick.

Armor on a carrier? Nuts. The best armor for a carrier is more fighters.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Wanna see them fighter shoot down the battleship shells in the air.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

It would be cool if this game had a bit of personnel management - admirals, captains. Only having a big dumbass like the guy in charge of Glorious running a fast carrier should result in them getting shelled, but dumbasses have commissions sometimes.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'd dislike that.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Alikchi posted:

It would be cool if this game had a bit of personnel management - admirals, captains. Only having a big dumbass like the guy in charge of Glorious running a fast carrier should result in them getting shelled, but dumbasses have commissions sometimes.

Well, all the captains are dumbasses in admiral mode. "My carrier division lost visual to the flagship, better beeline straight through the last know position of the enemy battle line to regain comms".

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Wooper posted:

Wanna see them fighter shoot down the battleship shells in the air.

If your carrier is close enough to a battleship to get shot at it by shells from a battleship’s main armament then the fact you slapped 2x a DDs armor on it isn’t going to mean poo poo.

Ask HMS Glorious how well it’s armor worked out for her while being hit by Scharnhorst’s 11 inch shells.

Ergo, better to save the weight of the armor for more planes, so that your carrier can spot and sink that battleship from a distance of a 100+ miles, and your carrier air groups can better defend against the real threat they should be facing—the other guy’s carrier aircraft; which, incidentally, if you start getting hit by aerial bombs and torpedos, means your carrier will fair about as if it were being hit by those battleship shells.

There is a pretty drat good reason why armor disappeared from carriers pretty quick, and then after the Second World War with the dominance of naval air power and anti-ship missiles, all naval vessels (95% of them anyway.)

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 9, 2020

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I've never played with carriers before. I got close but then I had to take a break from RtW2 for a long time(v1.07?) and since so many updates have happened. I'm told I should restart my campaign to avoid possible bugs. I was in ~1915 as Russia having a challenging but fun time.

Are there any countries that are "bad/boring" for first time plane-folk?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

you said fighters so destroyers are just gonna sail up to your carriers and sink it lol
get rekt

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Wooper posted:

you said fighters so destroyers are just gonna sail up to your carriers and sink it lol
get rekt

Generally speaking, the idea behind carriers is that enemy surface units are never in visible range; however, just in case this—and submarines—are why carriers operate in task forces, usually with destroyers and cruisers; and during the last phase covered by the game, fast battleships.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So when is it acceptable to rebuild a ship to be overweight? and how far can you go?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Ships that are overweight after a rebuild are more likely to take flotation damage, as well as other negative effects that might be in the manual. So I wouldn't do it for anything that's going to be front and center in the battle line, but for older ships or support ships I might go a little bit overweight if needed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I tried making a junyo style converted merchant carrier and it didn't seem cheaper nor faster to build but it certainly is shitter.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I had a game where my first carriers were converted 1899 light cruisers. Slow, unarmored, and only 10 aircraft, they still managed to sink French battleships because they had no airpower at all.

HisMajestyBOB fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 24, 2020

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Do they help get around treaties somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Roumba posted:

Do they help get around treaties somehow?

you cant build amcs during peace time.