Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

D. Ebdrup posted:

Budget is ~$1500.

uh, you need to lower these expectations or up that budget my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

D. Ebdrup posted:

Budget is ~$1500.
The right question to ask is: Why the gently caress is Threadripper so damned expensive in :denmark:; a 3960X is just about the price of the entire computer I had planned out, when I found out the BMC is some lovely home-grown solution involving a complete lack of IPMI and HTML5 vKVM - and the apparent lack of SR-IOV is kind of a killer, too.

SR-IOV is completely missing from the manual, so I just assume it's not supported - unless priznat can tell me otherwise.
Even if it is supported, the NIC is I211, not I350 so SR-IOV won't work on it.
The x1 slot, if my dream motherboard has it, would be used for my soundcard.

2658v4 is too slow, clock-wise. X4 needs both a lot of threads and a lot of Hz, and GTA5 really likes a high clock-rate too (though it's less threaded).
Already have the SAS HBA flashed with IT-mode firmware, ready to be passed through to FreeBSD via hardware accelerated IOMMU - it's how my old-and-used current build-server is booting.

AM4 is not going to suit your purpose. (although I will note you could get an X470D4U and put a big GPU hanging off the last slot, and have a 1-slot card in the first slot if you need it). But yeah, be nice if they moved that same board to a full-ATX and spaced the slots out more, I've thought the same thing. There just flat aren't any ATX server boards for AM4.

LGA1151v2: a Xeon E-2288G is basically a 9900K, but I doubt server motherboards will let you break the TDP limit, so after tau you're dropping down to like 4.3 GHz or something. Still much better latency and slightly better gaming IPC than Zen2. Doing some searching through Asrack, Supermicro, Tyan's catalogs and Newegg (server motherboards, C242/C246 ATX format boards) the only one I'm coming up with that's ATX and ECC capable with a couple large, decently spaced slots, and IPMI is this one.

For X99, I will note that you could get a board like X99 WS/IPMI and that's a bit bigger. I'd pass on the 2658v4 and go for a 1660v3, that's 8 cores that can be overclocked on an X99 board. Chip is about $150, motherboard is about $200 if you watch ebay. Many of the ASUS WS series boards support RDIMMs and LRDIMMs if the processor does (which, Xeon, you're good to go up to 768GB RAM). Not quite 12 cores but not bad.

LGA2066 exists, but you'll need a non-overclocking chipset to get ECC, there is a flat split between those segments for Intel. Performance is not incredibly great if you're not overclocking to 4+ GHz, which you will not be able to do on an ECC board/ECC chip. Cascade Lake-X itself is fairly cheap and you could get a X299 Dark for $200, or other boards. There are sales on those boards because partners are having trouble moving them. But, no ECC.

TR4 performance sucks especially for gaming, but there are some cheap boards that meet your lane/slot requirements, albeit only PCIe 3.0.

TRX40 doesn't have any IPMI boards at all yet. Great job with the socket change, it'll only be another 18 months going by the track record of AM4 with IPMI boards.

Epyc Rome can meet your needs, but you'll give up at least some gaming performance and the price will range between "more than you want to spend" and "I only need one kidney". That board with 4.0 is about $650, cheaper PCIe 3.0 options are $450, a 16C will be $678 or a 24C will be $1152 (bearing in mind that higher core counts have lower clocks, so the 16C may be better if that's all you'll need). I don't think any of the whitebox stuff can support a TDP high enough for the frequency-optimized parts yet unfortunately, even if you could afford it.

Sorry scro, that's everything on the market. It really is a disjoint set of capabilities, between per-core performance, expansion capability, ECC capability, RAM capacity, etc. Every single socket on the market offers a slightly different mix and none of them have everything. I personally think they should merge the 7002P and Threadripper and unlock them like the X5600 series used to be, but they didn't.

Hopefully that helps you narrow it down, you're probably looking for an ATX board given your spacing, high performance so relatively recent, probably more towards the HEDT side of the capabilities given your need for expansion. Not that many boards with IPMI in that bracket.

Personally I actually think the X99 WS/IPMI is a pretty cool combination of features for a home server. Fairly competitive gaming performance with overclocked Haswell-E, with ECC capability, while using RDIMMs or LRDIMMs if you want, with a large amount of expansion, and IPMI, for something that costs you ~$350 on ebay. But you only get 8 cores. Rome is good performance and gets your lanes and core count, but you're splashing out $1300 on the CPU+mobo and gaming performance is probably a bit lower than an OC'd X99. Consumer-socket options are costing you some mix of gaming performance, core count, IPMI, and connectivity from there, but cost less. That's pretty much your options.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 30, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah, I just checked out that soundcard. WTF. Are you trying to do broadcast quality audio on a budget? Are you Tim Burke!?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Tonight, on PC Hunters!
WIFE: I run a 32-thread BSD managed server hosting a 40TB micro-cloud and continuous compiler service
HUSBAND: And I use a professional sound interface to do games on a VM
BOTH: Our budget is $1500

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
yeah do sound on your guest GPU monitor output, that's an easy relief valve on a port here lol

(inb4 "oh no I'm doing looking glass on an entirely different vm")

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I mean don't get be wrong it's a refreshing change from the usual crazy PC build plan which goes more like
WIFE: I browse the internet
HUSBAND: I play FPS games at a non-pro level with the settings turned all the way down
BOTH: Our budget is $10,000 and we're spending all of it

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

D. Ebdrup posted:

I said AM4/X570 specifically because of the price of any Threadripper. This is X399

I can read. I was doing this thing called "trying to help".

quote:

the CPUs for which all start at prices that are way outside my price point

You didn't mention a budget; only a very long list of requirements. Your responses to everyone have been very illuminating, though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

lots of good :words: about options
Yeah, it's not in any immediate hurry - and waiting for 3rd-gen Threadripper might allow me to save up more money.

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah, I just checked out that soundcard. WTF. Are you trying to do broadcast quality audio on a budget? Are you Tim Burke!?
As much as I would like to try the whole "being rich" thing, unfortunately that's not the case.
I used to freelance nights as a disc jockey (ie. flipping discs, no speak) - so when the radio station went tits-up, the boss handed me that audiocard.
I got lucky in that a FreeBSD developer has the same card, and wrote a driver for it.

mdxi posted:

I can read. I was doing this thing called "trying to help".

You didn't mention a budget; only a very long list of requirements. Your responses to everyone have been very illuminating, though.
Sorry, it just seemed like a classic XY problem. Didn't mean to come off as a jerk, but I was. I apologize. :(

I thought I was missing something (other than mentioning my budget, which I could've sworn I included, but demonstrably didn't), but it looks like AMD is no better or worse than Intel in terms of market segmentation when it comes to the number of PCI lanes hanging off a CPU.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
AMD Confirms ZEN3 and RDNA2 by Late-2020

All right, let me see if I understand this correctly:

The 3xxx series on desktop is Zen 2 (7nm)

but the 3200G and 3400G APUs are only Zen+ (12nm)

We've just seen the release of the 4xxx series on mobile, which is Zen 2 (7nm)

and we're expecting Zen 2 desktop APUs (say, the 4400G or something) later this year

but we're also expecting Zen 3 (7nm+) on desktop later this year? something like a Ryzen 4600 and the rest of that kind of product stack, without an iGPU?

EDIT: and then looking farther forward from there, Zen 3 APUs sometime in 2021, then maybe nothing else for that year, then 2022 has the Zen 4 (5nm???) on an AM5 platform with DDR5 memory?

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 30, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

gradenko_2000 posted:

AMD Confirms ZEN3 and RDNA2 by Late-2020

All right, let me see if I understand this correctly:

The 3xxx series on desktop is Zen 2 (7nm)

but the 3200G and 3400G APUs are only Zen+ (12nm)

We've just seen the release of the 4xxx series on mobile, which is Zen 2 (7nm)

and we're expecting Zen 2 desktop APUs (say, the 4400G or something) later this year

but we're also expecting Zen 3 (7nm+) on desktop later this year? something like a Ryzen 4600 and the rest of that kind of product stack, without an iGPU?

EDIT: and then looking farther forward from there, Zen 3 APUs sometime in 2021, then maybe nothing else for that year, then 2022 has the Zen 4 (5nm???) on an AM5 platform with DDR5 memory?

Lmao at this naming scheme.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh late to respond but yeah that asus pro ws x570 ace does support sr-iov. I can’t speak on how well it works as we connect sr-iov drives through a pcie switch fabric which abstracts that away from the host platform so don’t need to enable it. I recall seeing the option in bios though.

E: it’s in the bios manual too

priznat fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 30, 2020

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

The only reason they announced that non-news is to grab some attention ahead of the Intel embargo lifting later.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Hey AMD, I'll give you 1 month to leak something from Zen 3, if not I will just get a 10600kf and move on with my life.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Otakufag posted:

Hey AMD, I'll give you 1 month to leak something from Zen 3, if not I will just get a 10600kf and move on with my life.

you've been posting the same poo poo since 2017, why just a month?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Klyith posted:

Haha you aren’t kidding. They’ve been rambling about upgrading on and off for several years.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Why a 10600kf over a 3600X? Why 6 cores? Why Ryzen 4000? So many questions

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Oh late to respond but yeah that asus pro ws x570 ace does support sr-iov. I can’t speak on how well it works as we connect sr-iov drives through a pcie switch fabric which abstracts that away from the host platform so don’t need to enable it. I recall seeing the option in bios though.

E: it’s in the bios manual too

I am apparently both a jerk and a stupid, because I swear I searched the manual for it. :sigh:
I guess I looked in the manual for it, not the BIOS manual, because I'm used to my own motherboard manual having everything.

So it looks like I can build the AMD system I want to, afterall. Thank you everyone for putting up with my foibles, and I apologize again for being an rear end.

Also, fun fact, you can hotlink to subsections of manuals.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

B-Mac posted:

Haha you aren’t kidding. They’ve been rambling about upgrading on and off for several years.

That was a fun post-history reading, lol.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Klyith posted:

I wish benchmarks would leak immediately. Can't wait to see the improvements.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
poo poo is expensive in my third world country, plus sometimes the wait is more exciting. If I could go back in time I'd grab a 8700K when it was cheap and the US dollar was weak. gently caress my life.

Otakufag fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 30, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Out of curiosity, is there any sort of chance that the 3rd-gen Ryzen chips might conceivably get a SKU that comes with integrated graphics cards?

The reason I ask is because the Pro WS X570-ACE has both HDMI and DisplayPort, and 1st-gen and 2nd-gen Ryzen chips had them.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 30, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Out of curiosity, is there any sort of chance that the Ryzen 9 chips might conceivably get a SKU that comes with integrated graphics cards?

There's always a chance. But no, nothing has indicated there's anything like that coming.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Some Goon posted:

There's always a chance. But no, nothing has indicated there's anything like that coming.
Ah, I was maybe hoping there were some rumors I hadn't heard.

I guess I would have to dig up some die-shots, to see if there is room for it.

EDIT: ↓ Welp. :smith:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 30, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Some Goon posted:

There's always a chance.

There's zero chance, the IGPU versions are conventional single-chip designs rather than the desktop IO/Chiplet set. So those are never gonna have more than 8 cores.

And adding a IGPU to the chiplet design is something that's always been speculated on as possible, but AMD has firmly said will never happen. (It would be a engineering project just as big as the mobile chips, but with a nearly non-existent market.)

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

teagone posted:

Lmao at this naming scheme.

OEMs want the number to go up even if it makes no sense.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
At best we're looking at a R7 4800G w/8CU that can hit ~2.1Ghz and the IMC is a beast to hit ~4266 or so and like, slot just under an RX 460. You'd need something like cheap eDRAM would fix this, and technically GloFo can do it and it'd help pad out the WSA for the foreseeable future. Intel's Crystal Well is 77nm² for 128MB, I think comparably GloFos 14HP process is 60% more dense and you'd get a 128MB 46-50mm² die. I wonder how cheap GloFo would make those, and if their 12nm process can be used instead for cost effectiveness. But I don't think they'll do it because they didn't do it for mobile, unless eDRAM adds too much static power consumption.

Honestly what's the cheapest a R7 4800G could even be sold for that still makes sense? ~$229?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Klyith posted:

There's zero chance, the IGPU versions are conventional single-chip designs rather than the desktop IO/Chiplet set. So those are never gonna have more than 8 cores.

And adding a IGPU to the chiplet design is something that's always been speculated on as possible, but AMD has firmly said will never happen. (It would be a engineering project just as big as the mobile chips, but with a nearly non-existent market.)

Never say never, I'm wagering that one of the things that AMD needs to happen for it to happen is a 5nm/7nm IO die.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Honestly I think they just don't need to do it. They put igpus into low end chips so they'll have something for SIs, but the enthusiast market is all going to be buying a GPU anyways, and if you're just looking to do some CPU number crunching you don't have a lot of alternatives that have an igpu / the cost of a simple 550 or 710 isn't going to be meaningful.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Never say never, I'm wagering that one of the things that AMD needs to happen for it to happen is a 5nm/7nm IO die.

IO is one of the things where making it smaller just doesn't help much. For memory or pure compute, smaller is better in almost every aspect, but when you need to deal with PCI-E and memory stuff, the comparative size and power reductions for going from 12nm to 7nm was like 20% of the benefit for compute stuff. It was also like 8x as expensive, due to the mask complexity and overall large size of the dies.

They're messing with libraries and doping and some other stuff to try to claw back some of the benefits of larger nodes onto smaller ones, basically by allowing you to have 'jumbo' transistors that would look more at home on a 40nm node, for higher power drive conditions for external signaling.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I think its safe to say that Asus skimped on the heatsinks for the 4800H 8 core in their laptops.

Hitting 90*C regularly....

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CommieGIR posted:

I think its safe to say that Asus skimped on the heatsinks for the 4800H 8 core in their laptops.

Hitting 90*C regularly....

"Not good enough, still has 15 degrees until TjMax" - Apple engineer

For real though, it seems like a lot of the 4800H laptops are running the CPU way over its TDP spec and letting it bounce off the thermal limit. In some of the reviews, the CPU is over 45w for entire benchmark runs. But thats how you are getting that performance out of the little feller, afterall.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cygni posted:

For real though, it seems like a lot of the 4800H laptops are running the CPU way over its TDP spec and letting it bounce off the thermal limit. In some of the reviews, the CPU is over 45w for entire benchmark runs. But thats how you are getting that performance out of the little feller, afterall.

Yup, that seems to be the gist of it.

Also: Can't use Ryzen Master to downvolt because Hyper-V and Ryzen Master butt heads.

Which is a laughable problem since Microsoft has said Hyper-V based security tools will become the norm in the next year.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CommieGIR posted:

Which is a laughable problem since Microsoft has said Hyper-V based security tools will become the norm in the next year.
Next year? VBS is getting enabled on fresh installs now already, if VT-d/RVI is enabled in the BIOS.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

Next year? VBS is getting enabled on fresh installs now already, if VT-d/RVI is enabled in the BIOS.

Yup, I have HyperV enabled because I primarily bought this as a mobile workstation, so turning it off isn't an option.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Cygni posted:

Well....that's something I'll keep in mind the next time I'm shopping for a Ryzen-based laptop.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Does anyone know off-hand how 2700x vs 3700x stack up as far as sensitivity to ram speed?

I have a good (ridiculous) amount of 2400 ram I'm using with a 2700x (which has been fine), but wondering if I swap to a 3700x if I will find any strangeness? I vaguely remember reading that one or the other was more sensitive to ram speed, but cant find the reference now.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
While architecturally Zen1 is "more dependent" on memory speed, the faster a CPU you get, the more slow memory will hold you back. The performance gains from upgrading to good ram would be more performance/$ than the CPU upgrade, especially taking the resale values into account.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FRINGE posted:

Does anyone know off-hand how 2700x vs 3700x stack up as far as sensitivity to ram speed?

I have a good (ridiculous) amount of 2400 ram I'm using with a 2700x (which has been fine), but wondering if I swap to a 3700x if I will find any strangeness? I vaguely remember reading that one or the other was more sensitive to ram speed, but cant find the reference now.

Zen 2 can decouple the Infinity Fabric clock completely from memory clock. The default setting is always 1:1:1, so I'm not sure what the performance results would be of running the memory at 1200 mhz and the IF at let's say 1600mhz. With previous zens people often said part of the benefit of fast ram was clocking the IF faster, but I've never seen that put to the test now that it's possible to do so.

Anyways disregarding the possibility of manual IF settings, Zen 2 seems to be about the same as before: a 5-10% spread from 2400 to 3600.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Klyith posted:

Zen 2 can decouple the Infinity Fabric clock completely from memory clock. The default setting is always 1:1:1, so I'm not sure what the performance results would be of running the memory at 1200 mhz and the IF at let's say 1600mhz. With previous zens people often said part of the benefit of fast ram was clocking the IF faster, but I've never seen that put to the test now that it's possible to do so.

Anyways disregarding the possibility of manual IF settings, Zen 2 seems to be about the same as before: a 5-10% spread from 2400 to 3600.

Thanks! Looking at the mysql and vmware results it doesnt look like too big of a deal real-life wise for me.

K8.0 posted:

While architecturally Zen1 is "more dependent" on memory speed, the faster a CPU you get, the more slow memory will hold you back. The performance gains from upgrading to good ram would be more performance/$ than the CPU upgrade, especially taking the resale values into account.
The problem is short-term I know someone that would buy the 2700x immediately (so the 3700x would only cost me ~100) while replacing 64gb ram would be more painful. (I could get by with 32 right now, but Im now totally spoiled in not having to pay any attention at all to ram usage.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cygni posted:

Huh. I'm looking at mid range gaming laptops and was interested in the AMD offerings even though they're limited to 2060's because of the supposedly better power consumption and thermal things. I guess that shouldn't really be much of a factor if this is going to be a thing for them.