Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

mono red was absolutely the fourth best deck in the format prior to ikoria idk how you could possibly argue it wasnt. temur rec was pretty much dead up until shark typhoon made it good again. i didnt say there cant be aggro decks other than mono red - rb sacrifice has very often taken the form of an aggro deck depending on what configuration was optimal for a given tournament. im saying that the issue is that you have no access to potent burn spells so it is often very difficult to close out games because of all the random life gain in the format. there's also a rg stompy deck thats quite good and of course the cycling deck is a pretty good aggro deck. im just saying that it isnt the dual lands that make aggro decks poorly positioned in the format. the mana base just doesnt really factor into it.
I think the manabase very much does factor into it, only 4 untapped duals means you get a lot of awkward starts where you can't curve out properly. The cycling deck mitigates this somewhat due to mostly spending colourless mana but I have frequently had to send back hands due to not having both colours (or had very awkward starts due to tapped lands in other builds). RB depends on the build, the mana's pretty good if you're just playing Mayhem Devil and Claim the Firstborn but gets rougher if you're trying to escape Kroxa and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the manabase very much does factor into it, only 4 untapped duals means you get a lot of awkward starts where you can't curve out properly. The cycling deck mitigates this somewhat due to mostly spending colourless mana but I have frequently had to send back hands due to not having both colours (or had very awkward starts due to tapped lands in other builds). RB depends on the build, the mana's pretty good if you're just playing Mayhem Devil and Claim the Firstborn but gets rougher if you're trying to escape Kroxa and stuff.

thats fair i guess but i really do think that the structural issue of stuff like uro, cat oven, and now serrated scorpion is a much bigger issue. all the incidental lifegain compounded with the lack of good burn means that aggro decks dont have inevitability against anyone and that makes aggro decks way harder to build and play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

i feel like half the people in this thread posting their opinions about standard primarily play pioneer/modern and then look at mtggoldfish and try to spew opinions based on whatever is at the top right now

tbf that's the best way to play Standard

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
If you want to play mono red aggro and actually win you should be on Ember Hauler and Slaying Fire imo. They give you some much needed reach

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sampatrick posted:

i feel like half the people in this thread posting their opinions about standard primarily play pioneer/modern and then look at mtggoldfish and try to spew opinions based on whatever is at the top right now

i don't play any of those toilet formats and i haven't seen a red deck make a single placement in any of the tournaments along the side of mtggoldfish or the top 32 of the magicfest on sunday

are you making opinions based off the bo1 ranked queue at gold or something?

Sampatrick posted:

there's also a rg stompy deck thats quite good

lmaoooooooooo

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Free lightning strike.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Look Around You posted:

Free lightning strike.

It's not 2009 any more and Bolt would be fine.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

the more reasonable argument is that there should be good untapped duals so that aggro decks can be two colours

The most reasonable argument is abolish the reserved list and print the ABR duals again, put Badlands in the basic land slot like they do Bloodfell Caves.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The most reasonable argument is abolish the reserved list and print the ABR duals again, put Badlands in the basic land slot like they do Bloodfell Caves.

I do think there's a good chance they'll reprint them someday, but no way will it be in packs and probably not Standard legal.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Looking at all these people complaining about no one playing Mutate when Mengucci was farting around top 200 Mythic with Simic Mutate last night.

E: he ended at #105

Eej fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 30, 2020

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

i don't play any of those toilet formats and i haven't seen a red deck make a single placement in any of the tournaments along the side of mtggoldfish or the top 32 of the magicfest on sunday

are you making opinions based off the bo1 ranked queue at gold or something?

lmaoooooooooo

yes you are aware that standard existed before ikoria, which is the standard i was talking about in that context? did you not notice the rg deck that had a ton of good results? please continue spouting your opinions.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sampatrick posted:

thats fair i guess but i really do think that the structural issue of stuff like uro, cat oven, and now serrated scorpion is a much bigger issue. all the incidental lifegain compounded with the lack of good burn means that aggro decks dont have inevitability against anyone and that makes aggro decks way harder to build and play.

Finally... It's tibalt's time to shine

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sampatrick posted:

yes you are aware that standard existed before ikoria, which is the standard i was talking about in that context? did you not notice the rg deck that had a ton of good results? please continue spouting your opinions.

Sampatrick posted:

Sampatrick posted:

whatever is at the top right now

ok

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Eej posted:

Looking at all these people complaining about no one playing Mutate when Mengucci was farting around top 200 Mythic with Simic Mutate last night.

E: he ended at #105

If I could play like Mengucci I wouldn't be farting around with you goons (yes I would)

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

have you played with or against the rg deck? it is at the very least good enough to get top 8 at a weekly championship, which seems like a reasonable way to determine if a deck is pretty good or not. i didnt say the deck was tier 1, i said the deck was pretty good, and it is! what a loving shocker.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
RG Fires has a very good nut draw but not being Jeskai means it has no way of dealing with bad or mediocre hands. Also it really sucks when the Trample Dino token gets Claim the Firstborn'd

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Reprint Lightning Bolt

and dark ritual

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Magic is dead (for at least another month.)

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Silhouette posted:

Reprint Lightning Bolt

and dark ritual

bolt would be fine right now in standard

reprint dark ritual and necropotence in the next core set. unban oko. lets go

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

suicidesteve posted:

Magic is dead (for at least another month.)

Is "in store play" referring to some Wizards-owned shops and stores? Is the paper product still going to go out?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Nolgthorn posted:

Is "in store play" referring to some Wizards-owned shops and stores? Is the paper product still going to go out?

join the goon discord where I talk about me being able to play in store and make others jealous and/or indifferent

edit: I hope the don't ban lurrus soon because I want to try out of my shiny foil version tomorrow

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How do you have a foil copy of a card that hasn’t been released physically?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I thought the set released earlier in the asian market

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AlphaKeny1 posted:

bolt would be fine right now in standard

yeah why do we need creatures with less than 4 toughness anyway

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Reprinting Lightning Bolt is what we need to make cards like Sower of Temptation good again

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Legalizing Bolt in Standard would be the single nail in the coffin for Aggro completely. Jeskai Hippo supreme dominance for all of standard.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Bust Rodd posted:

Legalizing Bolt in Standard would be the single nail in the coffin for Aggro completely. Jeskai Hippo supreme dominance for all of standard.

you cant run bolt with hippo lol

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

Name a standard with bolt in it where no less then 4 toughness creatures were played, ever

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I've lost all track of when pre-release/releases are actually happening or not happening now.
Is IKO "out"? I've been playing it on Arena but I have no idea.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Entropic posted:

I've lost all track of when pre-release/releases are actually happening or not happening now.
Is IKO "out"? I've been playing it on Arena but I have no idea.

I think May 15th(ish) is when it releases in the US.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm considering trading an SP-MP dual or two for a box of Ikoria and/or a set of the Commander decks. I figure I'll get more mileage out of those than the duals sitting in a box until who knows when. I can play sealed with my fiance and then put the commons and uncommons in my cube, or teach my daughter how to play Commander with some fun and balanced decks.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Bolt needs to deal 6 to creatures and exile them so that Uro isn't an obstacle.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
1RB, Target player takes 3 damage, discards 1 card, and sacrifices one land.

Fuckin ... Flashback: RRBB

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Balance Shock (R)

Balance Shock deals 2 damage to any target. If the target was its controller’s chosen companion, Balance Shock deals 20 damage to that player.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Baby's Counterspell - 1WU - Instant

Counter target spell. If the spell's card has an ability that was introduced in the most recent set, exile it instead of putting it in the graveyard, then search its controller's hand, library, and graveyard for cards with that ability and exile them. Players can't cast spells with that ability for the rest of the game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Skyl3lazer posted:

mandatory lesbian posted:

Name a standard with bolt in it where no less then 4 toughness creatures were played, ever

The actual answer is a bit more nuanced, let's take Lightning Bolt's last big Standard appearance. SCG Open Atlanta in 2011.

The RDW lists have creatures with Haste, Manic Vandal ETBs, Vulshok Refugee has pro-red, a low-curve guy like Grim Lavamancer, things with 4 or more toughness, and Kargan Dragonlord who has most of its value show up if it's leveled which you should probably do if the opponent doesn't have an untapped mountain.

UB control is all big boys, Sadbot who makes value on ETB and on dying to bolt, Phyrexian Crusader who has pro-red, Bloodghast who doesn't stay dead, and Azure Mage who offloads most its value onto the activated ability like Kargan Dragonlord.

Tempered Steel is all low-curve aggro guys and Kor Firewalker with pro-red.

Caw-Blade is all guys who are actually several guys where bolt can't handle the whole thing, or big boys, or Kor Firewalker and Azure Mage again. And anything with 2 toughness or more survives when holding Sword of Feast and Famine.

Some other lists from this era are similar. Exarch Twin relies on 4-toughness Deceiver Exarch. Valakut Ramp only has 4-ofs of Overgrown Battlements and Primeval Titan who survive a Bolt, and Eldrazi Green leans on those two as well. BR Vampires is all about Bloodghast and Kalastria Highborn who turn dying into a sport.

Nothing like Glissa the Traitor, Ob Nixils the Fallen, Necrotic Ooze, or Precursor Golem who get completely trashed by Lightning Bolt. To survive in a hellish Lightning Bolt World, you gotta produce value really fast, replace yourself, come back, or survive through toughness or immunity. It pressures decks to skip from small guys to enormous guys, and things in the middle are just laughed out of the room.

A lot of these issues were compounded by the Titans, Wurmcoil Engine, Consecrated Sphinx, and Dismember, which hogged a ton of the top-end and got rid of any competitors who didn't have 6 toughness at 6 mana. Still, this further hurts the middle of the pack since the small guys are hitting life and the big guys survive one.

In short, Lightning Bolt would only further make this a world of Titans and Teferi and make General Kudro unplayable, gently caress you.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
That's literally the world we live in already. You're just saying dies to removal. Lightning bolt being in standard or not isn't somehow going to change whether or not you can play creatures. Like, look at your argument for a second. Do you think that RDW or Tempered Steel wouldn't play low cmc creatures or creatures with haste if bolt wasn't in the format? Because they would still play those cards pretty obviously. Similarly, do you think that a control deck would play creatures with no abilities if bolt wasn't in the format? Because obviously the answer is no, they wouldn't, because those creatures don't accomplish the game plan of the deck. Twin wasn't playing around Bolt by playing Exarch, it was just the best (only?) card to combo with Splinter Twin. You're imagining way more impact from Bolt than was actually present.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Wanna know what makes it hard to play aggro decks? A card that kills your two drop and then gives them a 3 Mana play that you have to spend most of your third turn answering in order to attack.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm starting to think that creatures which trade down tempo wise with commonly played removal spells without giving some kind of immediate value have always been bad, rather than this somehow being a recent phenomenon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gentlemen, I give you: Lava Coil that Cantrips.

Actually you'd have to make the cantrip the old "exile... play before the end of your turn" rider to make it fit the sacred color pie.

Huh, now that I think about it Ikoria gave us Lighting Strike That Sorta Loots.