Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mebh posted:

Harry Potter and the chamber of racism.

Reminder that canonically, Harry Potter buys a dress shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Later retconned by JKR into a t-shirt reading "I'm gay, Latinx, and proud."

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

People are seriously overlooking the fact that that motherfucker didn’t just make a bizarrely awful video to run for president of his Conservative society, he loving won. Those weirdos voted for that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's definitely the apex of a certain kind of liberal woo to write Guardian columns about the importance of homeopathic opposition.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

People are seriously overlooking the fact that that motherfucker didn’t just make a bizarrely awful video to run for president of his Conservative society, he loving won. Those weirdos voted for that.

from what I know of KCL I'd be surprised if their Tory society ran into double figures

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I'm happy to say but I didn't even look.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

Just going to leave a bunch of vulnerable people to die, sorry for the inconvenience. :catstare:

Blacklisting a charity isn't a casual decision.

In addition to that, Anti-money laundering regulations require the money to be provably clean every step up and downstream of the bank that handles it.

Editted to delete some stuff that's probably not relevant as the bank doesn't handle the charities accounts itself

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 30, 2020

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

namesake posted:

Elevation of 'Decorum' has been beaten to death in this forum as a source of liberal stupidity but there's absolutely a thread of thought amongst liberals that hypocrisy is somehow the weak spot of a politician or political movement. If someone can point out inconsistencies or convincingly describe how someone has acted differently according to how they've said things should be done then this is a powerful attack for some reason and will force them to change course.

It's completely powerless in reality but it is a really strong belief in some places as it chimes well with 'people do bad things because of incorrect information'.

It is also an attempt to apply the rules of the kinds of places liberally minded people work (corporates, law firms, investment banks, consulting firms) to broader society. In a meeting or a courtroom, catching someone contradicting themselves is a very effective way of discrediting them. In politics it’s generally not because the people you need to persuade aren’t paying attention.

It’s not completely irrelevant. In the US, Bush Sr ran on “no new taxes” and was kicked out after one term because he raised taxes. But that’s something ordinary people who don’t follow politics would notice.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah like how we kicked out the Tories after holding them accountable for all their extremely obvious lies

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The whole BBC loves Captain Tom, a lovely old man that walks around his garden! *5 seconds later* We regret to inform you the old man committed warcrimes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In his garden?

Angrymog posted:

Blacklisting a charity isn't a casual decision.

In addition to that, Anti-money laundering regulations require the money to be provably clean every step up and downstream of the bank that handles it.

Editted to delete some stuff that's probably not relevant as the bank doesn't handle the charities accounts itself
The most obvious explanation is that it happened because the US wanted it to happen, and HSBC wants to keep doing business in the US.

In much the same way that US senators want to keep holding stock in HSBC, and senators aren't allowed to hold stock in any company found guilty of serious criminal wrongdoing, so they keep making sure that there's never any actual charges for their cartel involvement. It's a running cost.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

In his garden?

You must always check under the patio

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Okay really dumb question here - if it turns out that Covid infection *doesn't* grant immunity, could a vaccine even work?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay really dumb question here - if it turns out that Covid infection *doesn't* grant immunity, could a vaccine even work?

If it doesn't grant immunity no one ever recovers from it. If it doesn't grant lasting immunity theoretically an effective vaccine is still possible.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

A vaccine doesn't necessarily need to be based on the current corona virus, it could be a vaccine based on something similar that produces more of a response

At least that's the way I understand it

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Only one country (south korea) but they are saying that the cases of people getting reinfected were actually testing errors. Someone was posting about this yesterday I think.

https://m-en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200429007051320

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yes

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The slobbering over captain Tom is really getting to me, and I can’t believe piers Morgan is the most prominent government critic questioning why restarting the premier league is such a huge issue all of a sudden

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

It's Colonel Tom now, you uninformed swines.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

Only one country (south korea) but they are saying that the cases of people getting reinfected were actually testing errors. Someone was posting about this yesterday I think.

https://m-en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200429007051320

Yeah, this was the thing I was thinking about even though with the numbers involved testing error seemed the most likely explanation, it was more a general fear that I woke up with. I suppose the worst case is it ends up like the flu, with annual/seasonal variations requiring revaccination.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
HELLO I’M THE FLOUR FAIRY.

This mill has got it together and has decided not to rip people off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087388HVL

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jel Shaker posted:

The slobbering over captain Tom is really getting to me, and I can’t believe piers Morgan is the most prominent government critic questioning why restarting the premier league is such a huge issue all of a sudden

It should surprise no-one that all the figures that the gammons worship are World War 2 veterans - Tom Moore, Vera Lynn, the Queen. Maybe someone should ask them why Britain isn't producing people like that any more.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Jedit posted:

Maybe someone should ask them why Britain isn't producing people like that any more.

I think we all know what their answer will be.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Another strong possibility is that we end up with a vaccine that offers partial protection rather than complete immunity. You still catch and transmit the virus, but your immune system recognises and fights it off quite quickly, meaning the vast majority of cases are mild. This happens quite regularly with annual flu vaccines.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jedit posted:

It should surprise no-one that all the figures that the gammons worship are World War 2 veterans - Tom Moore, Vera Lynn, the Queen. Maybe someone should ask them why Britain isn't producing people like that any more.

As actual WW2 veterans run out, the projection will be concentrated on fewer and fewer targets, until the last remaining person to have fought in the war spontaneously catches fire from all the boomer energy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/LittleMisScouse/status/1255505378013569026?s=19

It's weird how often the "left his wife as she was going through cancer for the woman significantly younger than him" doesn't get brought up.

Banging his employee makes Bojo a rapist

as a Tory she's probably a rapist, too

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

xtothez posted:

I think we all know what their answer will be.
Lack of land wars in Europe leading to a generation of soft shites who are convinced that they fought land wars in Europe.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
How many years until the media can start lionising the brave souls who flew planes and dropped bombs on Iraq in the name of "FREEDOM"?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

learnincurve posted:

HELLO I’M THE FLOUR FAIRY.

This mill has got it together and has decided not to rip people off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087388HVL

Ha, I ordered this last night! Should keep us going for a couple more months.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

kingturnip posted:

How many years until the media can start lionising the brave souls who flew planes and dropped bombs on Iraq in the name of "FREEDOM"?

I don't think the gulf wars or Afghanistan are canditates for this kind of tabloid jingoism, because nobody likes a no-score draw. The public has pretty much forgotten Korea and Yugoslavia happened. The only obvious target once we run out of WW2 vets would be Falklands veterans.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Are any of our mercenaries from Biafra or the Congo Crisis still alive?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This is Ground Control to Colonel Tom
You've really made the age
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave your garden if you dare

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
turns out old people are very mad about their own mortality and do not want people to remind them of it

quote:

I read with horror (Coronavirus: what would a year of physical distancing mean for the UK?, 23 April) that I am likely to be incarcerated for a year because of my age (71). If this proposal were to be made law, I would immediately seek to crowdfund a legal challenge on the grounds that 1) there is no power in the Public Health Act to lock down people not reasonably believed to be infectious, and 2) that this would be disproportionate to the danger, and discriminatory, and therefore contrary to the human rights convention.

Unless one suffers from a form of dementia, age does not impair one’s wits – over-70s with impaired health can be relied upon to take proper precautions. If, however, like me, they are healthy and in their right minds, they should be allowed their freedom like anyone else. There are no laws against dangerous sports, and it is many years since suicide was a criminal act.

One is entitled to take reasonable risks and, if necessary, I would be willing to sign a declaration waiving my rights to a hospital bed or a ventilator. I would hope that Keir Starmer, as an experienced human rights lawyer, would refuse to support this approach. For older people to be summarily deprived without good reason of precious time spent in crucial family relationships, when their days are necessarily naturally numbered, is cruel and I suspect and hope would be found illegal.
Salley Vickers
Wilcot, Wiltshire

Gaby Hinsliff (Social distancing isn’t going to end soon. So how do we live with it?, 23 April) makes the interesting observation that “If an octogenarian who has lived a long and fulfilling life would rather take their chances with Covid-19 than never see their grandchildren again, is it morally justifiable in the interests of containing the virus to keep them at home, or must we eventually seek the safest way of letting human nature express itself?”

This raises interesting wider questions. We allow people to make plenty of unwise decisions about their health, especially in relation to what and how much they eat and drink. These decisions, while not directly affecting others, can have unpleasant or even disastrous consequences. They certainly put pressure on the NHS.

So might we expect to see some debate over whether we remove liberties that affect other people and society in general in the way that we have done in the current crisis, or will we treat this as something exceptional?
Bob Wolfson
Rudford, Gloucestershire

quote:

I write to join Salley Vickers (Letters, 26 April), who wrote to protest against proposals to “protect” the over-70s against coronavirus by obliging them to remain in self-isolation possibly for as long as another 12 months. This is both an infringement on liberty and an insult against a massive group of able-bodied, hard-working people who are making important contributions to society. Like many others, I want to urge the government to abandon the idea of age discrimination in the fight to bring the pandemic under control. Any attempt to impose self-isolation on a specific age group needs to be resisted, and if necessary fought through the courts.

I understand that there is a view that older people deserve protection and should be spared any possible risk of infection by staying home and being supplied by friends and volunteers for their needs. But this is not for me. I belong to the over-70s who are physically and mentally fit, continue to lead active working lives, need the stimulus of real, not virtual social gatherings, and who look forward to theatres and concerts when they reopen. I also want to be free to travel again, and generally enjoy life.

I live on my own. For me, the imposition of self-isolation for any length of time – in plain words, being caged in – would be tantamount to a living death. That is why I applaud and join the growing number of people who are protesting against moves to separate the over-70s from their families and fellow citizens, and why I hope that many more will make themselves heard, and if necessary join in seeking legal action to restrain the authorities.
Hella Pick
London

May I express solidarity with Salley Vickers? The idiocy of this random cut-off is even more evident if expressed as year of birth, rather than age. Let’s compare a non-smoker and moderate drinker, born November 1947, with an officially approved body mass index, a career record of useful contribution to society, who is doing pro bono work that is currently frozen, to an overweight individual, born June 1964, who’s never done a day’s useful work in his life and has been demonstrably reckless with his own health and that of others. Now let’s decide which is the better bet for early release.

And yes, Salley, stereotyping of a protected group does smell like unlawful discrimination, and is worth a legal challenge. Bring it on.
Sally Phillips
London

I am 73. Until March, I had a business (paying tax on profits), now closed. I was active in my community. I cared for grandchildren. I am not unusual among my age group.

Comfortable retirement at 55 or 60 is long gone. Policy has forced a “post-retirement” age group to keep working, willing or not. Are we now to be viewed as a danger to society, our very existence a drag on the NHS? To be told to stay out of public view?

Governments long ago washed their hands of citizens needing care due to disability, chronic illness or age-related decline. Is this group now widened to over all over-70s, or perhaps even over-65s (Older people could face extended coronavirus lockdown, Lords hears, 23 April)?

This is not about protecting the over-70s. It is discarding us as useless and troublesome because we might need more NHS support than younger people.

I for one would not obey any recommendation or legal injunction to stay indoors 24 hours a day. I will continue to use my judgment and intelligence – qualities which our prime minister so patently lacked in going to an international rugby match on 7 March and boasting of shaking hands at a coronavirus hospital a few days before.
Nina Anstee
London

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/29/we-over-70s-will-fight-for-our-lockdown-liberty

give me liberty and give me death :bahgawd:

also lol at dropping a dig at those drat dirty benefit thieves in there, thanks old person

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Getting my pans ready for Colonel Tom, is there a guide to what implement produces the best sound? The wooden spoon is a classic but I feel our hero deserves something a little grander.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm attending my office virtual catchup for the first time and it's quite nice because it reminds me exactly why I hated being in the office, it's super banal

can't do a quiz at 8 on a thursday because that's when the clap is, says the nastiest toriest lady in a very patronising manner

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

also lol at dropping a dig at those drat dirty benefit thieves in there, thanks old person

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

XMNN posted:

turns out old people are very mad about their own mortality and do not want people to remind them of it

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/29/we-over-70s-will-fight-for-our-lockdown-liberty

give me liberty and give me death :bahgawd:

Lol at the idea that most of them wouldn't be begging for the ventilator, and that it's possible to sign a legal document that would make the doctors go "nope, sorry, you signed the thing, no changing your mind now"

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

As actual WW2 veterans run out, the projection will be concentrated on fewer and fewer targets, until the last remaining person to have fought in the war spontaneously catches fire from all the boomer energy.

Highlander rules. The last one (probably the Queen) will be wreathed in lightning and live on forever as God-Empress of the Imperium of Britane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol fair enough, I will allow that old person to live