Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Its pretty rare now. Only modern active guy I know of who played college football is Colt Cabana.

Yota Tsuji, one of the current Young Lions, played college football in Japan. Roman Reigns played for Georgia Tech. Big E Langston was a defensive lineman at Iowa, Mojo Rawley was at Maryland, Bray Wyatt was a backup centre at Troy for a year before going into pro wrestling.

I'd also add that Jay and Mark Briscoe took a hiatus from wrestling in either late or 03 to play football in college but it didn't even last a year and I can't remember where they went.

There's probably others. Especially if you want to get into the weeds of like backup at West Alabama, where both Usos played linebacker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Baron Corbin was on the Cardinals roster for training camp and I think spent a season on the practice squad.

Lance Archer was a QB at Texas State.

DeAngelo Williams worked a couple TNA matches and looked really good for having next to no training.

The best football player who ever wrestled though has to be Lawrence Taylor.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Ernie Ladd or Bronko Nagurski have to be the two that achieved the most in each realm of professional football and professional wrestling right?

Edit: They were already listed, missed that post.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Steve "Mongo" McMichael has both a super bowl ring and a United States championship title belt.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Excuse me are we all forgetting the current WWE 24/7 champion?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
You made that up, there isn't such a thing as a "current WWE 24/7 champion"

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
How much of the WCW angle that Raven and DDP were both trained by Jake Roberts is true?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Big E, Braun Strowman, Bray Wyatt, Mojo Rawley, Dominic Dijakovic, Riddick Moss, Keith Lee, Shane Taylor, the Vintner, Kenny King, Jake Hager, and the Usos all played college football, not neccesarily standouts or people who were recruited to wrestle because of their football acumen, but if Colt Cabana counts they should too.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tino sabbatelli was the most successful modern "wrestler" in football and he was one of the worst players in the league for a few years. but he got to play all the time to prove it

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 29, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hellblazer187 posted:

Didn't Sexy Star shoot break someone's arm in a worked match?

flashy_mcflash posted:

quote:

TNATROLL3 days ago 

GFW Fans: (parody to All Star by Smash Mouth) 

At TripleMania, Sexy Star injured Rosemary with an arm bar 
She’s lucky the Demon Assassin didn’t retaliate with some mist spitting 
I heard it from Joseph Park that Sexy Star’s her own biggest mark 
Rosemary didn’t do anything because she didn’t want to end up in a Mexican prison 

Congrats to Eddie Edwards on his GHC title win 
Even when he acts serious, he can’t hide his grin 
I heard a rumor and I don’t know if it’s a true story 
But apparently RVD wanted to change BFG to Bong for Glory 
When Bruce Prichard’s on TV, some people develop Tourette's 
Jim Cornette’s going to get Kongo Kong to wear a singlet
Eli Drake has a golden voice and silver tongue 
Don’t ever doubt or underestimate the defiant one 

Hey now, GFW fans, every Thursday night, it’s time to watch Impact 
Hey now, GFW fans, wouldn’t it be great if at BFG, Austin Aries came back 
Eli Drake’s always focused and hungry 
If you never thought he’d be world champion, he’ll call you a dummy 

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh Christ I totally forgot about TNA Asylum posters constantly writing terrible song parodies that didn't even fit the meter. I could've lived the rest of my life not remembering that.

oldpainless posted:

It’s a joke. During Brock and romans match at WrestleMania it somehow became a thing that Brock was pissed off and people referred to Brock using “shoot f5s” on Roman as evidence.

Like there would be some major difference in execution or technique between a real and fake spinout pancake. Brock must increase the gravity when it's a shoot.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's an alternate universe somewhere where Deion Sanders was a huge wrestling star

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I'm not shocked that Lawrence Taylor and Karl Malone got involved in wrestling at one point :pedo:

And Tyson

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Didn’t Brock make it to within spitting distance of the NFL?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Didn’t Brock make it to within spitting distance of the NFL?

he didn't make it because he had no gas tank and the rest of the locker room hated him

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
He was within spitting distance of the practice squad which was more impressive than I would've predicted but "28 years old (or whatever he was) and can't make the practice squad" is one of many ways to say "this dude isn't playing in the NFL"

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Vader played in the NFL as well.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

https://twitter.com/GrappleClips/status/1254490077851463687

Vader was the best :rip:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How physically-demanding and well-paying is NFL anyway compared to, say, WWE? I'm Filipino so I've never seen an American football game (we very much prefer the NBA)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Schneider Heim posted:

How physically-demanding and well-paying is NFL anyway compared to, say, WWE? I'm Filipino so I've never seen an American football game (we very much prefer the NBA)

It's massively better paying. The NFL's minimum salary is $500K a year. And the team doesn't expect you to cover health care and travel. Also you have an actual off-season.

As far as the physical demands, they're much higher, since it's not scripted so you can't just book Hogan to win even though he's a broken down old hot dog of a man. However, despite the physical impact that football can have on a person, the players live a lot longer than pro wrestlers seem to.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

the average career in the NFL, which is the top level of american football, is 3.3 years.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's some crossover in the two recent questions; I think Wayne Munn was the first world heavyweight champion who came from football with little or no wrestling background. Sonnenberg would have been the first NFL player; I don't think the NFL existed before Munn left the sport.

Schneider Heim posted:

As demanding as pro wrestling can be, there's a crucial difference between a competitive team sport and a choreographed show. In sports, once you get a bad injury, it's difficult to go all-out and trust that that part of your body won't fail you again, in an environment where perfect split-second timing is key to success.

A lot of guys went into pro wrestling after injuries ended their football career, including a lot of major stars. Too many to count, really. Even guys you can point to as second generation wrestlers, like Ted DiBiase, Kerry Von Erich, and Randy Savage were trying to make it in pro sports before switching to wrestling.

Defiance Industries posted:

As far as the physical demands, they're much higher, since it's not scripted so you can't just book Hogan to win even though he's a broken down old hot dog of a man. However, despite the physical impact that football can have on a person, the players live a lot longer than pro wrestlers seem to.
And you have a union.

Pro football is dangerous, and the owners are typically vain, fickle buffoons. But Vince McMahon and the level of control he's always exercised over his company is worse.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 30, 2020

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

According to the new CBA the player profit sharing is at 48%.
The WWE is at 8%.
I'm not sure how much can be attributed to "The NFL has far more players" but the answer is probably 'not enough to make WWE look at all good'.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's a general trend in combat sports. When the UFC bought up WEC and Strikeforce, it was plainly laid out to investors that the biggest advantage is the leverage to pay fighters less, while the biggest risk of going public is fighters organizing to get better pay and working conditions. (I agree with Cornette's statement that wrestling isn't fake MMA, MMA is just rasslin' without fixing the fights.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 30, 2020

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Having not been familiar with him before he came to NXT, what is Matt Riddle's appeal? I can't in good faith enjoy a guy who's character is "literally every stoner douchebro you met in college".

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Yet you tolerate thousands of the straight-laced meathead rear end in a top hat who thinks his presence is a gift and he treats everyone badly. for shame

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I never said I liked those guys either. I skip a lot of matches and segments.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I think matt riddle sucks it. Sorry for messing around

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

The best thing Matt Riddle ever did was the Goldberg Bro-Off backstage where Goldberg wasn't taking any poo poo from some stoner douchebag. This was after tweeting that Goldberg was complete poo poo at Blood Money where he nearly killed a man, and vice versa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m6vwXSU2qs

I like Riddle's wrestling - from the few takeovers I've seen, and he'd probably be fun to hangout with on occasion, but man he looks like he smokes more weed than Papa Shango

e: I just realized I was in the building for this, and it was right before Goldberg had his epic return match vs Dolph Ziggler at SummerSlam because he wanted to redeem himself and go out looking good (the match was a spear/jackhammer squash lol)

Hirez fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 30, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He had an interesting interview once where he said he actually couldn't stand MMA, because it made him feel terrible to hurt people, yet he was also very, very good at hurting people. So doing fake wrestling instead solved a lot of problems

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

that the same interview where he said thank god he can smoke weed or else he'd probably be beating his kids

obligatory: https://twitter.com/reymysterio/status/263061905764151296

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

sticklefifer posted:

Having not been familiar with him before he came to NXT, what is Matt Riddle's appeal? I can't in good faith enjoy a guy who's character is "literally every stoner douchebro you met in college".

RVD but in 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i don't like this new aggressive cavauro we've been getting the last few months

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

i don't like this new aggressive cavauro we've been getting the last few months

Primates always get weird in isolation :ohdear:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i am afraid of dying soon. i have an immune system that catches everything but handles it sort of well from there which is still not ideal. I wonder if that fudged me up on here. didn't think about it before but i will try not to be too frighteningly brash. i want to be friends with everyone like NienNunb is. i think i normally would have chided tony khan for writing his shows in 7 minutes however. As a little bit of a pranky

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Edge & Christian posted:

What (if any) are examples of a wrestler being reluctant/dubious about an angle/gimmick, agreeing to it despite reservations, and coming out of it going "I was wrong, that was great!"?

Edge initially did not want to be involved in the first Money in the Bank match.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

He doesn't seem to have changed much in terms of "MMA guy who likes weed", but he was much more "amiable guy who enjoys marijuana as a side hobby while focusing on doing MMA moves in a ring" than "I just saw Half Baked and here are all the jokes from it" on the indies. His match with Dan Severn from Spring Break 1 is much better than a match involving a very old Dan Severn should be.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cavauro posted:

i am afraid of dying soon. i have an immune system that catches everything but handles it sort of well from there which is still not ideal. I wonder if that fudged me up on here. didn't think about it before but i will try not to be too frighteningly brash. i want to be friends with everyone like NienNunb is. i think i normally would have chided tony khan for writing his shows in 7 minutes however. As a little bit of a pranky

Are we friends? I hope so.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Julio Cruz posted:

it depends how you define a football guy, because the Rock played in the CFL and a bunch of guys (most notably Roman) were good/great players in college

but if we're talking NFL only then yeah it's Goldberg

Pretty sure Roman put in a full season with Edmonton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Shard posted:

Are we friends? I hope so.

you are my friend.