Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Sodomy Hussein posted:

True. Meanwhile, secretly demoting Mearls over a year ago in order to save face is not the response I would have hoped for from WotC.

it's honestly the best response you could have realistically hoped for, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

please knock Mom! posted:

it's honestly the best response you could have realistically hoped for, though?

I think realistically they could have hung Mearls out to dry February 2019 and let all the cultists soak it in, instead of announcing it conveniently during COVIDmania to achieve minimum press awareness, and allowing said cultists to eulogize his great legacy of making "the most successful" D&D now and ignore the #metoo element.

Now the company looks even worse and I'm still unlikely to support their products barring Winninger taking D&D into the 21st century, but the fact that Mearls was not flat-out fired is making even that a bridge too far.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 29, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Mearls is probably just working on 6th edition.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
So my DM and I had a talk about my 7th level Wizard, and we settled on the idea of making him more of a themed character. We're both big fans of his backstory so far, but he's essentially always tried to bend reality and more specifically bend creatures' bodies, so now that he's got one whole cast of Polymorph he's becoming a sort of custom Wizard archetype we've dubbed the 'Polymorphist'. Name pending.

So far we've reflavored most of his spells (examples: grease curses someone with slippery skin, shield makes a bone growth burst from his arms) and instead of Portent, he'll have at-will Polymorph 1/LR without creature type restriction, but with the restriction that he needs sufficient parts of the thing he wants to turn into as well as enough time to experiment with it. It'll probably be pretty unbalanced, for good or bad, but it sounds a lot more interesting.

I've been unsatisfied with many of the wizard ATs for a while already. Some of them feel very thematic like the Necromancy school, but the spell list for a properly focused wizard just isn't there. Everyone gets fly, everyone gets fireball, everyone gets the 'good' spells because there's not enough other useful options. We've 'solved' my issue right now by just creating two dozen new spells, and we both loved the potential of it.

We've turned Fireball into an AoE random polymorph-into-CR0-1 creature with a duration the DM still wants to think about. It's going to rule.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ya the spell list is shallow even with the other books

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This week's D&D session had a classic: find a trail going East and West with the thing that made it (that we're supposed to ID and report back) clearly going one way, and we sat there arguing for an hour whether we should investigate where it came from (might have clues) or where it was going (definitely has something big and possibly/probably not friendly). And I honestly don't know if the DM was trying to nudge us in one direction or just RPing the NPC with us finding out what we were hunting and getting worried. From his mutterings I also think the adventure just has it as a "random encounter in this area" not expecting players to actually follow the trail, so he has to improv what we find and how long it takes.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

That reminds me, here's tip for any new DMs: If you want players to go do a thing and not waste time, don't give them a town to gently caress around in. We spent half the session last night going to the spa/annoying drunkards at the bar and only went into the enchanted, ever-expanding forest in the last half hour.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Sounds like they just saved you a bunch of prep time.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

change my name posted:

That reminds me, here's tip for any new DMs: If you want players to go do a thing and not waste time, don't give them a town to gently caress around in. We spent half the session last night going to the spa/annoying drunkards at the bar and only went into the enchanted, ever-expanding forest in the last half hour.

Yeah I love that poo poo, please stretch my half-session's worth of frantic prep into four sessions because you want to spend your time robbing the local noble, I don't mind.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Agreed, this is a boon! The game isn't only about slinging fireballs at oversized lizards.

I can understand it might be problematic if you struggle with impromptu npc creation though.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Arthil posted:

Agreed, this is a boon! The game isn't only about slinging fireballs at oversized lizards.

I can understand it might be problematic if you struggle with impromptu npc creation though.

On the other hand, when you do get to sling fireballs at young green dragons, it's pretty great. My players killed Venomfang tonight, because I forgot it was supposed to flee at half health. Technically I killed it (not even counting the forgetting), because it went to 0 hp, the still-raging fire genasi insisted that Eerk, the goblin who's the NPC member of the party, give it one of the curative berries he keeps in his pocket, it stood up and started to fly away, I said "does anyone stop Eerk from shooting him?" and I rolled a natural 20 on Eerk's roll to shoot poor Venomfang.

(It crashed back down on Thundertree, and now Thundertree is really in ruins; but on the other hand, they have fulfilled the request of the local druid ("Drive it off and make sure it stays gone for at least four days, and I'll use teleport via plant to get you and Nezznar within a day of Neverwinter so you can deliver him to the jail there."))

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Does anyone have any ideas for lower level polymorph-like spells by the way? I was thinking alter self but targeted, but that only gets you so far. Maybe a partial morph?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
He could turn his upper body into a shark’s upper body like a reverse mermaid and then bite enemies

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
https://twitter.com/chrisperkinsdnd/status/1255634049177026560?s=21

As a change of pace from earlier discussions, Perkins is a good dude.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

please knock Mom! posted:

Does anyone have any ideas for lower level polymorph-like spells by the way? I was thinking alter self but targeted, but that only gets you so far. Maybe a partial morph?

I guess the general issue is that polymorphing grants you various monster abilities/stats; a lower-level polymorph-like spell would grant you some traits of monsters without replacing your entire body with them. And lots of spells exist that do that. Enlarge/Reduce could be reskinned as morphing into an ogre/troll/halfling (or fairie if already Small). Isn't there a spell that gives you magical claws/fangs? And one that gives you a magical weapon which could be reskinned as morphing your arms/legs into magical weapons. Spider Climb is, well, spider climb. Fly gives you wings. Water Breathing gives you gills. And so on.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah, we already reskinned fly and some other spells. As for completely new 'lesser polymorph' spells though, I suppose we'll just have to macgyver up our own for now. Thanks for the pointers!

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Kaysette posted:

big perkins fan here and this is the kind of content i want more of coming out of wizards

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I don’t want a 2e-style heap of books of spells but a decent-sized one covering arcane and divine would be great. The options do feel thin.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kaysette posted:

This is good

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

So uh...

What's exactly so bad about a medieval Fighter hiding they've got a fake leg from their enemies, just out of curiosity?

A lot of the arguments I'm seeing in those twitter threads only makes sense where prosthesis are extremely well made and sometimes to the point of being better than a real limb, like we have now. There's no mention of it being magical in any way, and visually it doesn't come off as being much more than a prettier peg leg.

There's a lot of problems I've agreed need changing in the past but this one just seems really odd to me. Mechanically she isn't slower than anyone else, and the idea of a monster hunter not wanting said monsters to be able to see what would be a very real weakness sounds perfectly reasonable.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arthil posted:

So uh...

What's exactly so bad about a medieval Fighter hiding they've got a fake leg from their enemies, just out of curiosity?

A lot of the arguments I'm seeing in those twitter threads only makes sense where prosthesis are extremely well made and sometimes to the point of being better than a real limb, like we have now. There's no mention of it being magical in any way, and visually it doesn't come off as being much more than a prettier peg leg.

There's a lot of problems I've agreed need changing in the past but this one just seems really odd to me. Mechanically she isn't slower than anyone else, and the idea of a monster hunter not wanting said monsters to be able to see what would be a very real weakness sounds perfectly reasonable.

Just asking questions.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

You capable of offering anything for me to think over and possibly change my mind, or would you rather just be a dick instead?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Given the wording of "Ezmerelda's Secret", I can understand how someone could read that section and jump to the conclusion that Ezmerelda hides her leg out of shame/in a disability-negative manner.

Think the "and takes care to hide it from view" could be removed and it'd be fine, maybe the section heading to "Ezmerelda's Leg" as well. Just stating the fact then that, yeah she's got a prosthetic leg and then it's up to the DM if Ezmerelda is open about it or otherwise.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 30, 2020

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arthil posted:

You capable of offering anything for me to think over and possibly change my mind, or would you rather just be a dick instead?

From the tweet that was posted:

"I hate that Ezmeralda is the only explicitly disabled NPC in Curse of Strahd and they made her cover up her disability like it's some shameful loving thing". And the same poster in the same tweet thread "This isn't good representation and you can't keep doing this and then applauding yourselves for 'being inclusive'." which is the point of the whole thing.

Was that not clear enough for you? Or did you not read that far?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 30, 2020

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Arthil posted:

So uh...

It's fantasy. you can't simultaneously have sorcerers flinging fireballs everywhere and also say that a fighter with a prosthetic leg needs to hide it in order to prevent a tactical disadvantage. They could written her to be some kind of awesome martial character with a unique fighting style which exploits people who don't know about her disability even. Yeah, it doesn't move quite like a real leg, but it's also made out of a harder material, doesn't feel pain, doesn't bleed, etc. They could have done something with that. Right now they've just added her seemingly to appeal to disabled people, and then made her hide her disability, which is kind of worse than not appealing to them at all?

Basically imagine your response to seeing an explicitly gay character who's closeted and whose reason for staying closeted is that revealing their orientation would cause social damage, and then apply that to the above

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arthil posted:

So uh...

It's not "so bad" but it'd be better if having a prosthesis was not portrayed as shameful. Just a room-for-improvement scenario.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Arthil posted:

So uh...

The problem isn’t about the mechanics or verisimilitude. It’s about reinforcing negative stereotypes that are harmful to portions of the player base. I’m not an expert on disability sensitivity but I’ve worked with students with disabilities. One of the main things they’ve said that non-disabled writers get wrong is that assistive devices aren’t limiting, but rather empowering. A wheelchair or a prosthesis lets someone do something they otherwise couldn’t and that isn’t a source of shame for most IRL.

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 30, 2020

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

"Of course a warrior would obviously want to conceal their vulnerable disability weakness" isn't a great argument for why this depiction isn't a problem.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 30, 2020

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It's also jarring and weird that they commissioned art with a rad and visually obvious prosthesis and then put in a description that doesn't match and is pretty lovely for no reason.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

It's almost like they don't know what they're doing and have had lovely management for years.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The whole point of the monster hunter/fighter character type is adapting to the situation and making the best of it while keeping up the fight. They'd sooner weaponize their prosthetic than hide it. It doesn't even make sense if you ignore the real world implications of writing such a character.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Toshimo posted:

It's also jarring and weird that they commissioned art with a rad and visually obvious prosthesis and then put in a description that doesn't match and is pretty lovely for no reason.

That's really common and its because the art is usually commissioned well before the actual text is finalized. Of course, adjusting the text was possible in this case and wasn't done, for some reason.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Toshimo posted:

That art is indeed pretty cool, reminds me a bit of Bloodborne.

...And now I'm reading d&d statblocks for Bloodborne monsters and someone's homebrew Hunter class.

EDIT: He made them proficient with shields, that's a no-go.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Arthil posted:

So uh...

The problem is that this is one of the only disabled characters in 5e. If there were a large number of disabled characters, one character who considers their disability as something important to carefully hide would be a character trait. But when a character is the only example of a group, their flaws become their group's flaws, their attitudes become the group's attitudes. So it's not surprising someone who is disabled might be disappointed that the only character who shares their particular condition is someone who hides it because it makes them weak, rather than proudly displaying it because it makes them strong. Empowerment is meant to be part of what makes Fantasy fun, and this does the opposite.

And yes, the leg isn't mentioned as being magical, so logically it would be an impedance to her combat ability, but there's no reason that leg *couldn't* have been written as magical, or some fantasy steampunk doohickey or whatever.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

For contrast, there's an NPC in a Pathfinder Adventure Path that's missing one of his legs, but nonetheless is friendly, charming, combat capable, and actively refuses Regeneration offers from the PCs ("Give me back my leg? Are you insane? What's my icebreaker going to be at parties for the rest of my life?")

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 30, 2020

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Reveilled posted:

And yes, the leg isn't mentioned as being magical, so logically it would be an impedance to her combat ability, but there's no reason that leg *couldn't* have been written as magical, or some fantasy steampunk doohickey or whatever.

Even if it's not magical, the leg shouldn't impede her combat ability. This is the kind of setting where every other pirate has a hook, eye-patch, or peg leg and fights just fine. The prosthesis is essentially just aesthetics.

I am a little surprised that they didn't add any sort of advantageous trick to her leg. That would fit well with the whole Ravenloft monster hunter deal.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
To take this thread in a different direction:

I've been downloading every single free piece of material they've released on the DnD website and several of them have come with .mod files. I can't get these to play, even using VLC. I'm assuming they're just audio but I don't really know. Anyone else have a clue how to get these to play?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
They aren't audio, I think they're versions of the module content for virtual tabletop (Fantasy Grounds or Roll20, I can't recall which one it is because I ended up picking Astral for my group when we transitioned online for the pandemic).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

PeterWeller posted:

Even if it's not magical, the leg shouldn't impede her combat ability. This is the kind of setting where every other pirate has a hook, eye-patch, or peg leg and fights just fine. The prosthesis is essentially just aesthetics.

I am a little surprised that they didn't add any sort of advantageous trick to her leg. That would fit well with the whole Ravenloft monster hunter deal.

Yeah, that. D&D is a game. It constantly violates verisimilitude in the interest of being a more fun game or enabling better stories, like a lot of RPGs.

Because if you get obsessed with "well, this character has a disability and an empowering device that ameliorates that, but here's the three ways it'd impact her combat stats", you're starting on the path where hateful writers or dickhead players angle-shooting for advantages or whatever can turn anything into that kind of referendum. Does the pirate's eyepatch give him a penalty to ranged attacks? How does that skinny Fighter have an 18 Strength? Etc etc until you're essentially enforcing a uniform bodytype and set of optimal performance aesthetics on every single adventurer and foe in a campaign based on peoples' bizarre stereotypes. It's an absurd, pointless exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Maybe they'll accidentally fix the thing where casters can get any sort of bonus or ability that sounds cool while if a martial wants to get or do something it also has to be realistic

That would be cool