Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

ichor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

"first world country" btw

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Yikes.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

routine flu poo poo. now cnn trying to make a big deal out of it. next year nobody will even notice when there's a giant pile of dead bodies rotting in a truck outside for several days. you know why? because it won't be an election year

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
lol the country is going to open tomorrow and by mid may we will be looking at an insane outbreak that will be beyond containment

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

Skypie posted:

lol the country is going to open tomorrow and by mid may we will be looking at an insane outbreak that will be beyond containment

I ain't scared, op

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Skypie posted:

Can't believe the dems would sabotage trump like this

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

The Alpha Centauri posted:

I ain't scared, op

I am cuz I don't want my mom to die or my wife (who works retail) to get sick/die :smith:

Also I'm quite fond of being alive personally

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
open for business

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Solarin posted:

Can't believe the dems would sabotage trump like this

look, you don't change horses mid stream

Skypie posted:

Also I'm quite fond of being alive personally

:mods:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Skypie posted:

what states are opening tomorrow?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

CODChimera posted:

All of them like god intended

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

the state of despair is open for business

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
gently caress haircuts and restaurants. I’d like to be able to swing through Target without fear of death.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

CODChimera posted:

Indiana thus far hasn't extended its stay at home. Ohio is opening I think. Texas as well.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I woke up (yay!) to the stimulus payment in my account this morning so that was a nice treat. I'm going to do a bunch of cocaine and when the dig around in my face hole for the coronavirus test in a few hours I'm going to say the French said cocaine and cigarettes cure coronavirus then speed away cackling

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

facetoucher cat posted:

I woke up (yay!) to the stimulus payment in my account this morning so that was a nice treat. I'm going to do a bunch of cocaine and when the dig around in my face hole for the coronavirus test in a few hours I'm going to say the French said cocaine and cigarettes cure coronavirus then speed away cackling

cocaine quality has really nosedived in my area lately, I wouldn't even do it if it was free honestly

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
cocaine will only cure roni if they cut it with powder bleach

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

empty whippet box posted:

cocaine quality has really nosedived in my area lately, I wouldn't even do it if it was free honestly

:same:

Wait, I wouldn't know that and nose dived lmao

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Skypie posted:

Indiana thus far hasn't extended its stay at home. Ohio is opening I think. Texas as well.

ah gently caress, why is Indiana incapable of doing better

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

facetoucher cat posted:

doing a couple lines of coke before the nasal SARS-CoV-2 test would probably take a lot of the edge off

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Shima Honnou posted:

cocaine will only cure roni if they cut it with powder bleach

I've got a business proposal for you if you'd like to step into my van, er, I mean office

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

just an FYI prepare yourself mentally for ultimate gaslighting from the chuds

there will not be a number of deaths large enough to convince them opening up wasn’t the right thing to do (even though a majority of them support lock down now, they will see the error of their ways when trump personally endorses being open for the next 2 months, and trashes democrat states that aren’t)

Crazyweasel has issued a correction as of 12:13 on Apr 30, 2020

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

trying to make excessive small talk with the national guard soldier before they plow ur nasophalanx

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/blue-angels-thunderbirds-fly-over-atlanta-saturday/TSOBDALD3BAWZOLL5MI2XV4IGY/

quote:

ATLANTA — The U.S. Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron, the Blue Angels, and the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron, the Thunderbirds, will honor front line responders and essential workers this Saturday in Atlanta.

A formation of the planes will fly over the city starting at 2:20 p.m. It will last for around 20 minutes. People along the flight path can expect to hear a few seconds of jet noise as they see 12 aircraft flying in formation overhead.

This will be the second set of flyovers for the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds, who flew over New York City this weekend. The squadrons will fly over Baltimore and then Washington, D.C., before making their way to Atlanta on Saturday.

“America Strong is a way for both teams to show appreciation to the thousands of doctors, nurses, first responders and essential workers out there serving on the front line day-in and day-out,” said Cmdr. Brian Kesselring, U.S. Navy Blue Angels commanding officer and flight leader for the flyover. “This is an extraordinary and unprecedented time but we will get through this. We are all in this together.”

As I saw someone on twitter say, this is like when I ask my husband to help around the house and they buy me flowers

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Skypie posted:

Is it really that hard to believe that things will actually be fine?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bastard Tetris posted:

Maybe he extends it at the last second, who knows. Probably not is my bet but it makes just as little sense to be unclear until the last minute if you intend to lift it too so who knows

All I can say is that a lot of the biggest employers will be ignoring it

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
amazon will be back open for business on may 1st nationwide, no more free unpaid sick time for the sick or those uncomfortable working in a plague factory

open
er
up

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gripweed posted:

The conditions in which it would be fine, like free easy testing for all and contact tracing, are not part of the re-opening so if you think it'll be fine you're probably a dumbass.

The spread of these things isn't some mysterious force, if you force everything back open and pretend it's all fine everything surges again because that is what has always happened and what will always happen

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Gripweed posted:

Yes.
The US is hosed, sorry. You have an infectious disease running free.

You want to see real curve flattening and virus elimination then look at Australian and NZ data and read about how we did it.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Another proposed BCG trial awaiting approval, this one attempting to see if BCG vaccination will help diabetic COVID-19 patients who are high risk

https://twitter.com/FaustmanLab/status/1249016014521671681?s=19

quote:

Abstract
Diabetes mellitus (DM) is one of the major risk factors for COVID-19 complications as it is one of the chronic immune-compromising conditions especially if patients have uncontrolled diabetes, poor HbA1c &/or irregular blood glucose levels. Diabetic patient’s mortality rates with COVID-19 are higher than cardiovascular or cancer patients.

Furthermore, the authors in the present article described a prospective BCG multi-dose clinical study in full details that they will apply in case of acceptance of their submitted grant & the ethical committee approval. The aim of the clinical study is to check if double dose BCG (4 weeks apart) will show a significant difference in the protection of health care professionals in Egypt.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Bastard Tetris posted:

I work for a b2b company that services a lot of municipalities and they've been calling in all week to restart service next week. we hosed, y'all. dehumanize yourself etc etc

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
well you see, south korea got it under control so we have too

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Helith posted:

Yes.
The US is hosed, sorry. You have an infectious disease running free.

You want to see real curve flattening and virus elimination then look at Australian and NZ data and read about how we did it.

Texas is opening up tomorrow but restaurants will only be allowed to be at 1/4 occupancy to ensure social distancing. I assume that Australia and NZ did something similar.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Impkins Patootie posted:

trying to make excessive small talk with the national guard soldier before they plow ur nasophalanx

they specifically told me twice to keep my window rolled up until I was instructed to roll my window down so I'll pantomime because with my throat being on fire like this screaming to them is out of the question. I also have to be the only person in the vehicle and that's going to be weird for me because I know it sounds dumb but I rarely drive, maybe 5 times in the last 12 months, my husband drives us or I walk. I'm not a *bad* driver I'm just terrified because I've been in so many car accidents through no fault of my own or as a passenger. One being I almost lost my arm back in '94

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Gripweed posted:

Texas is opening up tomorrow but restaurants will only be allowed to be at 1/4 occupancy to ensure social distancing. I assume that Australia and NZ did something similar.

In Australia restaurants are takeaway only and aren’t opening back up for now.
In New Zealand restaurants were completely shut and have just been allowed to open for takeaway food.
The big news in my state, NSW , is that 2 people and any children are now allowed to go and visit family or friends at their home.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

facetoucher cat posted:

they specifically told me twice to keep my window rolled up until I was instructed to roll my window down so I'll pantomime because with my throat being on fire like this screaming to them is out of the question. I also have to be the only person in the vehicle and that's going to be weird for me because I know it sounds dumb but I rarely drive, maybe 5 times in the last 12 months, my husband drives us or I walk. I'm not a *bad* driver I'm just terrified because I've been in so many car accidents through no fault of my own or as a passenger. One being I almost lost my arm back in '94

Be careful!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
man I was on the phone with a friend in Dallas for several hours

Up to now I’d been blowing off all the concern about “the toll from lockdown will be worse than the disease” but I got a sobering peek at what that reality means to a lot of families

My friend teaches underprivileged kids in a 98% minority neighborhood. Four kids in her school district have already died from domestic abuse. One of her students had to be talked out of attempting suicide. Every single day several of her students break down crying during their zoom classes, and half of her day just becomes therapy sessions for the kids. Many of them simply can’t attend class on some days because they have to cook for and take care of their siblings while their parents work.

These are mostly black and Hispanic kids in grades 6-8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Lol, no. Any country with good numbers isn't doing anything like what we are doing, which is why we have bad numbers and they gave good

Everybody knows what to do to fight this, it comes down to being willing to or not. China, SK, NZ, they were willing and thus are fine. We are not willing and thus will not.

Optimism is stupid, this is the rich instructing you at gunpoint to die because the alternative is you do not generate their wealth for awhile while enjoying the sort of monetary assistance that thus far only the rich have had access to