Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

A small percentage of UFO cases are inexplicable and really cool to think about, especially some of these recent things released by the Pentagon. The problem is when you make the jump straight to aliens over cases or phenomena that have been thoroughly debunked, such as crop circles.

Yeah just because there is provably some Weird poo poo going on doesn't mean people are getting probed. It doesn't even mean it's aliens - IF someone had invented a wacky reactionless drive or whatever the gently caress is happening in those guncam videos, "aliens" would be a great excuse to keep it secret, and it's plausible that even fairly high up people in the military would have no clue it existed.

Of course, before people jump to "well it must be a secret drone then, case solved!" keep in mind that technology on that level would be far enough beyond current state of the art as to be almost as important as aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

McSpanky posted:

Sure, why not? Aliens are fae, flying saucers are post-industrial will-o'-the-wisps and crop circles are modern-day fairy rings. They probe butts because these days we're sexually insecure and symbolically stealing our fragile hetero masculinity is hilarious.

:hmmyes:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

First contact with space MAGA* rednecks from bumblefuck, Andromeda sounds like a rad way to go. They'd probably blow a few extra craters on the moon before drunkenly crashing it on the earth for giggles.

*Make Aliens Great Again

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'm with you on that, but I don't think anyone could meaningfully restrict access to radio in such an advanced society. Sure there may be other ways to easily communicate at long distance but at that point we are heading straight into magical territory of FTL travel and teleportation.

All it takes is one very stoned alien sending a "Hi humans" towards us and we'd catch it pretty easily.

I get your point, but I wouldn't expect anything over the radio soon due to the distances involved. Their planet is probably hundreds of light-years away. If they have some kind of local science rear end probing expedition in our solar system I think they can keep enough discipline to not reveal themselves. That's something even we can manage to do on scientific expeditions today.

If they came here using known physics then they are just as cut off from their home as we are and any radio message would take hundreds of years. If they have some magic ftl technology then they have probably restricted its use enough to not have random idiots show up here.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You know it's interesting that since like 2016 or 2017, the same three loving videos keep getting "released" by the military. Like, ok, why do we keep running PENTAGON/NAVY/YOUR MOM ACKNOWLEDGES UFO EXISTENCE AND RELEASES NEW VIDEOS when it's clearly the same goddamned videos as always?

Are people's attention spans really that short? (The answer is of course yes)

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

governments like the uk, france, russia, etc already acknowledged unexplained ufo poo poo but the usa would always claim "oh its a weather balloon" or "just training flares" until recently so people are tripping out i guess

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

GABA ghoul posted:

I get your point, but I wouldn't expect anything over the radio soon due to the distances involved. Their planet is probably hundreds of light-years away. If they have some kind of local science rear end probing expedition in our solar system I think they can keep enough discipline to not reveal themselves. That's something even we can manage to do on scientific expeditions today.

If they came here using known physics then they are just as cut off from their home as we are and any radio message would take hundreds of years. If they have some magic ftl technology then they have probably restricted its use enough to not have random idiots show up here.

I think a society that's that disciplined is a lot more outlandish than space aliens to me. Even the separated tribes on Earth like, again, Sentinelese, would have had secondary contact just coming across random trash washing up on shore, seeing planes and drones that have been used to observe them.

Even if you assume that the alien ships are few in number and have enough discipline on board so bored Ensign Greenbutt just doesn't send down a random radio message to gently caress with hoomans, it begs the question of why are they there in person anyways? If they just wanted to observe it wouldn't be hard to do it without buzzing around the atmosphere and getting caught on camera, or probing butts.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

I think a society that's that disciplined is a lot more outlandish than space aliens to me. Even the separated tribes on Earth like, again, Sentinelese, would have had secondary contact just coming across random trash washing up on shore, seeing planes and drones that have been used to observe them.

Even if you assume that the alien ships are few in number and have enough discipline on board so bored Ensign Greenbutt just doesn't send down a random radio message to gently caress with hoomans, it begs the question of why are they there in person anyways? If they just wanted to observe it wouldn't be hard to do it without buzzing around the atmosphere and getting caught on camera, or probing butts.

Who says the objects are even manned?

I think there isn't much point in trying to project human behavior on other life forms, especially alien ones. But even for humans, there are legitimate reasons to haul your rear end across half the galaxy to study some aliens. It's to experience the act of discovery and exploration. If you live in some future society with access to virtually infinite resources and labor, it might seem like worthwhile investment to make the exploration ship capable to sustain life and take some humans with you so that they can experience the process. There is a shitton of other possible reasons like political or even religious ones. There was never any point to sending humans to the moon, we did it for purely political reasons that are very hard to understand from the outside.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
ufos ARE real, and one tried to eat my rear end

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

GABA ghoul posted:

Who says the objects are even manned?

I think there isn't much point in trying to project human behavior on other life forms, especially alien ones. But even for humans, there are legitimate reasons to haul your rear end across half the galaxy to study some aliens. It's to experience the act of discovery and exploration. If you live in some future society with access to virtually infinite resources and labor, it might seem like worthwhile investment to make the exploration ship capable to sustain life and take some humans with you so that they can experience the process. There is a shitton of other possible reasons like political or even religious ones. There was never any point to sending humans to the moon, we did it for purely political reasons that are very hard to understand from the outside.

Advanced technology is a human behavior :colbert:. Just having a hypothetical culture who build spaceships can tell you quite a bit about them - clearly they are organized to a point of inventing and building something that exceeds our advancements by a large margin, so they would have to have some form of science and industry and thus society.

I totally get the idea of some sort of a anthropological mission but most commonly described UFO encounters seem to run counter to that.

My money's on the faeries loving with people, it's less unlikely. Or psychic machine elves from 69th dimension, because it's just magic and doesn't involve an advanced society deciding to travel countless lightyears to just stick things up some redneck assholes or troll army personnel for multiple decades.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

You know it's interesting that since like 2016 or 2017, the same three loving videos keep getting "released" by the military. Like, ok, why do we keep running PENTAGON/NAVY/YOUR MOM ACKNOWLEDGES UFO EXISTENCE AND RELEASES NEW VIDEOS when it's clearly the same goddamned videos as always?

Men in Black 1997
Men in Black II 2002
Men in Black 3 2012
Men in Black: International 2019
Men in Black TBD 2020?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Big Beef City posted:

Right, the one you like in the article you link and several others I found on it specifically state that "UFO-ologists" and "cerealogists" (lol) were allowed to look at it, but reporters and other credentialed people who came to the site were told they could not enter the area by the land owner.
Wonder why.

If you're gonna get someone from out of town to do it, at least have them do it well:

For sure , that last one I posted in particular I found a little suspect. The guy that wrote the article stood to profit the most and used it as a springboard to get onto Coast to Coast

No one asked, but my opinion is it would be impossible for us to know what earthly doings and what isn’t. If the SR-71 was in the sky in the freakin 60s, who really knows what us humans have now.

I can tell you I never really believed the ‘flying saucer’ / alien thing when I was little, but it sure gave me restless sleep at times. Fire In The Sky had me hiding under the covers

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

That implies a very authoritarian government that has 100% control over the population, maybe even bordering on a straight up hivemind. It takes one idiot on a flying saucer to do a first contact, hell it takes one idiot with a radio transmitter sending a signal on any frequency we already use to make it known.

Even if you consider Earth's distant tribes like Sentinel islands people or the people in Amazon rainforest, the reason we know about them is because they were contacted or otherwise hosed with by others.

The aliens could all be missionaries.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The aliens could all be missionaries.

If the Jehova witnesses would just probe my rear end in a top hat every time they came around I might be more receptive to their religion :mmmhmm:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Deadbeat Poetry posted:

some people have all the luck

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
We had a stealth helicopter for god knows how long that no one had ever managed to take a single photograph of until we crashed one into osama bin laden's house and then blew it up but the tail end didnt blow up right.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Basically each time it’s been released it’s been from increasingly higher authorities. Usually you would think that something would happen in reverse, as in low level guy sees something weird and each step up the chain is a higher authority saying to keep it quiet. In this case each authority that releases the video basically just keeps confirming how weird and confusing this footage is. The US military is not known for publishing video and images of classified aircraft they are developing, even as disinformation. There has been times (like with the “F-19” and the real life F-117) where people outside the military came up with ideas that ran with speculation and the government kept mum about real projects because the fake made it expeditious to do so, but that info didn’t come from the government itself. So a former senator and a Blink 182 guy saying “hey this video is wild and has an unknown aircraft the military doesn’t even know about” is one thing, the military itself releasing that exact same video and saying “Yeah, those guys are absolutely right, we have no loving clue.” Is another thing entirely.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

hakimashou posted:

We had a stealth helicopter for god knows how long that no one had ever managed to take a single photograph of until we crashed one into osama bin laden's house and then blew it up but the tail end didnt blow up right.

It wasn’t around for very long. It was still basically a prototype which had been built from parts of other stuff, not even like a wholly independently designed aircraft. A cobbled together technology demonstrator more or less. Probably the reason they had issues with it. Those types of aircraft are not known for reliability.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Stealth Blackhawk is probably based in part on the Comanche helicopter that the military shelved because it turns out drones are better. A airship that carries a half dozen commandos requires a lot more engineering than a small recon helicopter that seats two, but the tech is derivative of something we already know exists. Flying tic-tacs though...

Deadbeat Poetry posted:

But only Millennial aliens.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah it’s absolutely hacked from parts of the Comanche. The RAH-66 and UH-60 both being Sikorsky products.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Is anyone else watching The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch? This has quickly become my favorite show.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The “aliens aren’t real” folks are really weirdly aggressive about it imo

If they think they’re right why do they get so uptight about people believing in alleged bullshit? They put a lot of effort into trying to get people to change their minds but they’re so overwhelmed that it just degrades into ad hominem insults, every time

Almost as if they’re unable to support their flawed narrative rationally

Quite. The problem with the "aliens aren't real" folks is that they are horrified about being wrong even though aliens visiting the Earth have been so clearly documented. We all know they built the pyramids and "evolution" is really just aliens messing with the planet. Reminds me of those people who are so adamant about Earth being ball-shaped that globally they use schools to brainwash children into believing it. It's just another form of violence the people in power use to stop people from discovering the truth.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

That fighter pilot podcast interview with one of the pilots has a detail I'd not heard before - he says when they tried to get a radar lock the UFO jammed the signal.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

not a bot posted:

Quite. The problem with the "aliens aren't real" folks is that they are horrified about being wrong even though aliens visiting the Earth have been so clearly documented. We all know they built the pyramids and "evolution" is really just aliens messing with the planet. Reminds me of those people who are so adamant about Earth being ball-shaped that globally they use schools to brainwash children into believing it. It's just another form of violence the people in power use to stop people from discovering the truth.

And then there's the weirdly calm effort posts making fun of it where it's like, why waste the energy? What is the point?

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
UFOs exist. Pilots and Astronauts have reported them for decades. Chances are most sightings have banal explanations like falling space junk, mild hypoxia/mild disorientation resulting in visual field disturbances, and equipment loving up. Other sightings can probably be attributes to aerospace black projects, or weird atmospheric poo poo we don't yet understand. I wouldn't be surprised if someone figured out a way to gently caress with radar and other stuff enough to goad the military into scrambling a fighter squadron to intercept a bogus signal all just to troll.

There's weird poo poo going on in the skies. No denying that.

I just wish for once we could get a crystal clear video of some of these phenomena. I don't think I've ever seen a UFO video that isn't some black and white gun cam video or some super compressed low resolution video with the camera shaking all over the place.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Avalanche posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone figured out a way to gently caress with radar and other stuff enough to goad the military into scrambling a fighter squadron to intercept a bogus signal all just to troll.

Definite possibility, but the pilots report seeing the same thing their cameras recorded so that's some pretty impressive spoofing tech.

quote:

I just wish for once we could get a crystal clear video of some of these phenomena. I don't think I've ever seen a UFO video that isn't some black and white gun cam video or some super compressed low resolution video with the camera shaking all over the place.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 30, 2020

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Y'all just gonna ignore me calling you thirsty alien fuckers?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Y'all just gonna ignore me calling you thirsty alien fuckers?

Get a hobby, shiteater.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Avalanche posted:

50 million dollar fighter jet and it uses the lovely webcam from my netbook back in 2009. But gun cams don't need high resolution cameras, they just need something that's super reliable and can confirm whether Iceman and Merlin blew up the bogie. Our best hope now is that a pilot remembers to bring their iPhone and shoots a decent 4k video out his or her cockpit window.

And then people will complain they shot the video in portrait.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The military doesn't have reactionless turbo drives, those idiots can't even build that F-35 right.

Unless that's just a sham to divert money to the real projects :tinfoil:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

of course aliens are real come on

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
The original video is 16 years old, think about cell phone video from 16 years ago lol

Also if this was a government vehicle or weapon, after 16 years it would be known to a much larger extent

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Avalanche posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone figured out a way to gently caress with radar and other stuff enough to goad the military into scrambling a fighter squadron to intercept a bogus signal all just to troll.

As an electronic warfare tech this was literally my job, but you have to know ALOT of classified material, IFF Mode 4 Codes and the Emitter Data (PRI, PRF, frequency, etc) are very highly classified and the tech used to send out signals to do what you’re talking about is not something some dude on the beach at Big Sur can just set up and operate. The power requirements are astronomical for one. You need to be able to have multiple spiral, interferometer, and DF antennas to pull the signal down, a core section to signal process and convert to a video carrier signal, then send that to another stack of parts that rebuilds the signal in an exploitable fashion, followed by a transmit chain of an RF Signal Source, a high power transmitter, a beam forming unit, and finally a steerable or phased array antenna to shoot the signal back out. And that’s just for basic simple noise jamming. I’ve done specifically what you’re talking about as well but it’s quite a bit more complicated. Also, I don’t want to chat with the FBI today.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Mooey Cow posted:

The military doesn't have reactionless turbo drives, those idiots can't even build that F-35 right.

Unless that's just a sham to divert money to the real projects :tinfoil:

In this case, the real projects are the bank accounts of contractors and politicians.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Julius CSAR posted:

As an electronic warfare tech this was literally my job, but you have to know ALOT of classified material, IFF Mode 4 Codes and the Emitter Data (PRI, PRF, frequency, etc) are very highly classified and the tech used to send out signals to do what you’re talking about is not something some dude on the beach at Big Sur can just set up and operate. The power requirements are astronomical for one. You need to be able to have multiple spiral, interferometer, and DF antennas to pull the signal down, a core section to signal process and convert to a video carrier signal, then send that to another stack of parts that rebuilds the signal in an exploitable fashion, followed by a transmit chain of an RF Signal Source, a high power transmitter, a beam forming unit, and finally a steerable or phased array antenna to shoot the signal back out. And that’s just for basic simple noise jamming. I’ve done specifically what you’re talking about as well but it’s quite a bit more complicated. Also, I don’t want to chat with the FBI today.

Could you use software defined radio (SDR) and some kind of amplifier to spoof those signals?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Rad-daddio posted:

Could you use software defined radio (SDR) and some kind of amplifier to spoof those signals?

lol ya the SDR USB stick I bought to turn into a makeshift full spectrum radio scanner for a hobby is gonna spoof military equipment at range hang on lemme get a pringles can so I can aim it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Big Beef City posted:

lol ya the SDR USB stick I bought to turn into a makeshift full spectrum radio scanner for a hobby is gonna spoof military equipment at range hang on lemme get a pringles can so I can aim it.

:laffo:

Hollywood has poisoned everyone's mind with what is possible with technology.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
I want to see an alien so bad

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I'm an alien from the fourth stimpire AMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Amarcarts posted:

I'm an alien from the fourth stimpire AMA.

does this look like a rash to you or just sorta flushed?