Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I see you've come around to the Republican view that voter suppression isn't real.

I haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

So the Iraq War was justified?

Ooookay if that's your position why did you deny it when I pointed out several times that your argument implied the Iraq War was good

I never said it was.

For someone who uses hyperbole as a main strategy of their posting recently, you really don't handle it being used against you all that well.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Hostage taker releases list of demands

quote:

The US has presented its G7 partners with a list of reforms Washington would like carried out at the World Health Organization in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

The proposals, which were shared on Friday by the health and human services (HHS) department with health ministries in the six other member states, suggested organisational changes intended to reinforce the WHO’s independence and transparency.

However, G7 diplomats said they had not been informed of whether the HHS proposals represented a comprehensive list of US conditions to resume funding of the global health organisation.

“It’s not clear if these are agreed administration-wide,” a western diplomat said.
The fun part here is that most of the proposals....increase the WHO's influence over the US? The kicker is nice too!

quote:

Glassman said the HHS document shared with the G7 could indicate that the US is looking for a way out of the WHO funding crisis triggered by Trump’s declaration.

“It would be a very elegant way to exit this situation, while sounding reasonable,” she said.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

VitalSigns posted:

Unless you're claiming that Biden had a super secret plan for how to invade another country, depose the government, and install a friendly regime while killing zero people that he would have carried out in Bush's place this argument doesn't make much sense.
You are condemning everyone in Congress with like one exception for all time. Biden has said that vote was a mistake. The DNC has now repudiated that vote. And yet you predict that Biden is going to be a super deadly President based on it. That same logic applies to just about everyone in Congress in 2002.

At the point where you are saying that just about all of Congress would be as bad as Trump, you're just doing a purity test and pretending it's utilitarian.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

I never said it was.

For someone who uses hyperbole as a main strategy of their posting recently, you really don't handle it being used against you all that well.

You compared it to the liberation of nazi-occupied Europe, what did you mean by that.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

You compared it to the liberation of nazi-occupied Europe, what did you mean by that.

No, you are. I was talking about the war. Why are you changing things around?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sarcastr0 posted:

You are condemning everyone in Congress with like one exception for all time. Biden has said that vote was a mistake.

Did you know politicians can lie.

Biden claims that he never intended the war to happen and that Bush tricked him into voting for it by assuring him that he wouldn't really invade. This is a provable lie, Biden is lying right now about why he voted for the war so why would I believe him.

Believe what you want, but "this obvious liar who is lying right now is sincere about having a change of heart about the thing he's lying about" isn't a very good case imo

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

No, you are. I was talking about the war. Why are you changing things around?

What did you mean by this

Doctor Butts posted:

Really, we should have just let Germany take Britain too. I mean, there's no way to have won the war without killing a bunch of people.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Let's see how the discussion over Hayes' coverage of the Reade allegations is go-.....

https://twitter.com/trumpsEvil/status/1255810829481586691

Oh.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Biden claims that he never intended the war to happen and that Bush tricked him into voting for it by assuring him that he wouldn't really invade. This is a provable lie, Biden is lying right now about why he voted for the war so why would I believe him.

Believe what you want, but "this obvious liar who is lying right now is sincere about having a change of heart about the thing he's lying about" isn't a very good case imo
So now Biden secretly loves the Iraq War and is planning to do it again.

Gotcha.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

VH4Ever posted:

Let's see how the discussion over Hayes' coverage of the Reade allegations is go-.....

https://twitter.com/trumpsEvil/status/1255810829481586691

Oh.

This really is centrist Qanon

Jesus christ, the internet was a massive loving mistake

VitalSigns posted:

But your argument was that Biden was an architect for the Iraq War and would have led us into if he was in charge (?, I think, I'm not really sure tbh), but now he is lying and would lead us into more war that he never ran (which you admitted was true)

I'm having a hard time following here. Are you saying Joe Biden is more likely to lead us into a massive war and carry one out than Donald Trump, because he voted for a popular war or supported one earlier, but has said he since regretted it?

I don't necessarily agree that he's completely sincere but at the very least he realizes the loss of political capital over potential war is not worth it.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 30, 2020

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Sarcastr0 posted:

Gotcha.

Yes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I see a lot of very special people pushing the idea that Tara Reade is either not real and a Russian operation to discredit Biden, or that the media is working for the Russians

What year are we living in again

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sarcastr0 posted:

Gotcha.

I've never seen that movie The Discovery Of Lying or whatever it was called, but this feels like a conversation characters in a movie like that would have

:eyepop: "what, politicians can just say things that aren't what they believe or don't correspond to reality?! But...how..."

Yeah dude I think Biden is going to murder a bunch of foreigners, because he believes that it makes America strong, evidence: his entire career

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Biden secretly wearing his I Heart Iraq War shirt.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

What did you mean by this

Stop being performatively obtuse.

People will die in wars. There is no bloodless one. In a comparison between the real way the Bush administration carried it out, and a hypothetical one Biden may have carried out, I don't think you could get much worse than what the Bush administration actually did.

I did not support the war.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

TulliusCicero posted:

I agree with you a lot on many things, but please stop putting up strawman arguments I never said.

Here let me put it this way: Biden SUPPORTED the Iraq War

Bush, Cheney and Rumsefeld planned, lied about, and carried out the Iraq War

Biden is an opportunistic moron and a war hawk for supporting the Iraq War, but he did not MAKE policy besides a vote

W and his administration are war criminals and profiteers for actually pushing through and carrying out the Iraq War

I am not "quibbling" that Biden is an idiot and a war hawk, nor am I talking about body count numbers being not what Biden wanted (seriously what even is this point?)

I'm saying that the Bush Adminstrstion engineered and carried out the Iraq War, and Biden pushed for and voted on it are different things in different degrees of action

Those two things are literally not the same thing

Biden directly enabled the war, he clearly wanted the war, and didn't regret aiding and enabling the war until public sentiment turned wildly against it. A non-trivial portion of the Iraq War does indeed lie Joe Biden's feet.

Frankly even voting for the Iraq War should be a full stop disqualification for any Democratic politician. The war was obviously going to be a disaster back then, and anyone who voted for it is at worst a loving moron and at best an amoral sociopath. The fact that Joe Biden didn't just vote for the war, but cheerlead for it, helped speed run the AUMF through the Senate processes so that Bush could invade Iraq, and continued supporting the war for years afterwards- means that a very significant portion of the blame for the Iraq War lives with Joe Biden.

Some of my high school buddies never came back from Iraq, and a number of those who did left significant pieces of their mind soul and Body in Iraq.

No one else so deeply involved in enabling the Iraq war is on the ticket, but Biden eager participation in facilitating the Iraq War is a matter of historical record, and it is quite logical to place a non-trivial portion of the blame for the war at his feet.

Enablers may not be as bad as the people/events they enable, but they are still very bad.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 30, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Paracaidas posted:

A hefty :rolleyes: at the 18% who've gone full Thanks Obama

A decade from now, there will still be people who blame Obama for everything. I'm hoping it's an option on pretty much every poll moving forward and becomes our version of "Attack Japan."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

People will die in wars. There is no bloodless one. In a comparison between the real way the Bush administration carried it out, and a hypothetical one Biden may have carried out, I don't think you could get much worse than what the Bush administration actually did.

Yes people will die in wars that is my point.

Biden voted for an unjust and illegal war to happen, knowing that it would kill massive amounts of people, and he was fine with doing that.

You can quibble about how much more competently he would have prosecuted the war (very debatable, given his insane plan to balkanize Iraq), but you're still talking about a huge body count even if hypothetically (maybe, very debatable) it might not have been as high as W's

The war did not have to happen at all, there's no "well you gotta break a few eggs" in this situation, no one needed an omelette

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 30, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paracaidas posted:

A hefty :rolleyes: at the 18% who've gone full Thanks Obama

i'm surprised it's only 18% given that it is an article of faith among republicans that obama was responsible for the botched katrina response

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Butts posted:

President Bush didn't carry out Biden's war policy. President Bush carried out Bush's (or Cheney's/Rumsfelds) war policy.

Right. The policy that Biden empowered in the senate via his vocal support of, picked the witnesses to testify in front of the Biden headed committee that supported that policy and also voted for despite now claiming he knew Saddam didn't have the WMDs (which the experts Biden had as witnesses appear in the Senate argued) which somehow absolves him of those major missteps that cost people their lives.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Doctor Butts posted:

Why are you trying to make the case that Biden would have run the Iraq War in a more competent manner? And what does it loving matter that Biden would have run a needless war (that he directly enabled/supported) in a better way than the person who wound up actually doing it?

Also why are you comparing the Iraq War to the liberation of Europe?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Sarcastr0 posted:

You are condemning everyone in Congress with like one exception for all time. Biden has said that vote was a mistake. The DNC has now repudiated that vote. And yet you predict that Biden is going to be a super deadly President based on it. That same logic applies to just about everyone in Congress in 2002.

At the point where you are saying that just about all of Congress would be as bad as Trump, you're just doing a purity test and pretending it's utilitarian.
A) They all *should* be condemned. How is that a controversial statement? My stars, let's not go besmirching the good name of Congress!

B) I keep seeing this "Biden has changed his stance on [...]" for every lovely policy he's ever supported, and the thing is, I don't care. If you give me a calculator that gets poo poo wrong every single time, I'm not gonna trust it to do its job, even if a decade of people yelling at it causes it to finally accept 2+2=4. Biden is fundamentally incapable of getting poo poo right until a decade after it matters. That will be true of anything that arises during his presidency.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

FUUUUUCK YOOOOOU! "Go back to work! You're essential! But not essential enough to get Hazard Pay! Just essential enough to have what few unemployment protections you have stripped away if you don't go work in the plague mines."

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paracaidas posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/eheisig/status/1255824599507505153
Here's a bit of good news, despite Barr's best efforts. Additional context on why this poo poo is especially heinous:
https://mobile.twitter.com/charlesornstein/status/1255662524856512514

Speaking of especially heinous:
https://mobile.twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1255822062058450947

What nurses are well paid? Like...I can think of only the nurses for a plastic surgeon as making a decent amount of money.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mekchu posted:

What nurses are well paid? Like...I can think of only the nurses for a plastic surgeon as making a decent amount of money.

Nursing pay is decent, but not decent enough to significantly risk your life for it.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Mekchu posted:

“Well paid” as when applied to other people means anything above living in poverty.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dick Trauma posted:

While this thread has gone magnificently off the rails Tucker Carlson remains laser focused on what matters.

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1255648720005345281

A golf friend in MD said all their courses are shut down for fear of infection. Is that not the case in other areas? Why are gold courses open during a quarantine?

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

Slugworth posted:

A) They all *should* be condemned. How is that a controversial statement? My stars, let's not go besmirching the good name of Congress!

B) I keep seeing this "Biden has changed his stance on [...]" for every lovely policy he's ever supported, and the thing is, I don't care. If you give me a calculator that gets poo poo wrong every single time, I'm not gonna trust it to do its job, even if a decade of people yelling at it causes it to finally accept 2+2=4. Biden is fundamentally incapable of getting poo poo right until a decade after it matters. That will be true of anything that arises during his presidency.

Condemned != saying they're all as bad as Trump.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mekchu posted:

my understanding is that the term "nurses" includes an incredibly large swathe of people doing jobs that range from minimum-wage awful jobs to jobs with significant influence and pay because it's almost basically a catch-all for "works in a hospital but does not hold a medical degree" and over the past few decades more and more of running a hospital has gotten pushed to nurses

i think that overall you have far more of the lower-paid than the highly-paid ones though

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

evilweasel posted:

my understanding is that the term "nurses" includes an incredibly large swathe of people doing jobs that range from minimum-wage awful jobs to jobs with significant influence and pay because it's almost basically a catch-all for "works in a hospital but does not hold a medical degree" and over the past few decades more and more of running a hospital has gotten pushed to nurses

i think that overall you have far more of the lower-paid than the highly-paid ones though

Yeah this is true also. My mind sort of defaults to hospital RNs but a lot of LPNs and CNAs in nursing homes make jack poo poo.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Mekchu posted:

A golf friend in MD said all their courses are shut down for fear of infection. Is that not the case in other areas? Why are gold courses open during a quarantine?

They are the playgrounds for rich people so I can absolutely see a world where a bunch of them is kept open.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mekchu posted:

not a golfer, golfing seems like a relatively safe sport given how antisocial it is, but i imagine the clubhouse or whatever is a problem

if you could just wander onto the golf course and whack balls around it seems pretty fine

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mekchu posted:

This is gonna be an argument every time, in every crowd, because everyone has a different idea of what good pay is. By my standards though, I'd say they are well paid for what they do. I mean, ideally we'd stop paying hospital administrators millions of dollars and redirect it to nurses and support staff, but in Illinois for example the average pay is 45k to 80k for nurses and the median individual income for the state overall is 35k.

They deserve higher pay in the same sense of the word that we all deserve higher pay, but at least in my experience, the people I know who went into nursing did so because it was good money and a field that will always have jobs available.

[Edit: Yeah, read a few posts above mine, and agreed, if you're talking anything other than RN, there are some exceedingly lovely jobs with lovely pay that may still result in you being called a nurse. I wasn't thinking about CNAs working for 9 bucks an hour in some awful nursing home]

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 30, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

not a golfer, golfing seems like a relatively safe sport given how antisocial it is, but i imagine the clubhouse or whatever is a problem

if you could just wander onto the golf course and whack balls around it seems pretty fine

It’s not like everyone’s going to reach down into the same hole.

There are 18 different holes!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

spunkshui posted:

It’s not like everyone’s going to reach down into the same hole.

There are 18 different holes!

Wow you run with a wild bunch.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Slugworth posted:

But Trump will not make things exponentially worse, nor gently caress things up during his second 4 years of of his Presidency

Do people really think Biden is exponentially worse for the world than 4 more years of a guy who got people to ingest lysol? Are we really arguing this?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Golf is dumb and bad, but essentially it's just a big park. Not really any more dangerous than going for a jog or whatever, assuming the clubhouse is running on a skeleton staff and following best practices. And if some old rich rear end in a top hat golfers end up doing themselves in anyway, no big loss.

Though if public parks are being closed while golf courses can stay open, that's obviously a problem.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

evilweasel posted:

As far as social distancing goes, sure. But there are carts, ball washers, holes, flags, and the beer girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'd love to see the any of the never Biden crowd actually make an affirmative argument about what they feel the correct course of action is and why, even just one single time