Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Zero VGS posted:

For serious, I'm an IT person who got my first taste of work from home and I'm about 110% as effective as I was in the office. If they ever insist I come back, I'm straight quitting. They're just gonna have to deal with me never showing up in person again, one way or the other.

Yup, I'm in IT too and I've felt so much more productive and less stressed out ever since I started working from home. Plus my girlfriend, who is currently unemployed and in school, can keep me company when it's slow. While I'd rather society gradually get back to normal in every other respect, I'd love if working from home becomes the standard and not the exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Mnoba posted:

one of the best things coming out of this is watching blue state people revolting against their lovely authoritarian leaders lmao, reading this thread and all of the brrrr trump and brrrr republicans is just really fascinating.

This is not a thing and solely exists in your feverish MAGA fantasies with your dear leader Emperor Donald Jebidiah Trump.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
My husband's aunt died suddenly of cancer on Monday in Vancouver/Richmond, and the family is having a really hard time finding a funeral home to take care of arrangements. As far as we know, she is being kept on ice at the hospital where she died, but no one can do anything and it's just a matter of time before the hospital has to make room for covid corpses. :smith:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
This magical may 1st everything is fine date boggles my mind. I hope we're all wrong but the back half of May seems like it's going to be rough all over again

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Japan, whose rates are theoretically declining and is at around 150 cases a day is likely going to delay their grand reopening to June 6th instead of May 6th while I guess the US tries to make social security solvent

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fenarisk posted:

Can't trump force the meat workers back to work just like Reagan did with the airline workers? Honest question I don't know the answer to, especially since a strong union was involved in that incident as well.

PATCO was a cop union: it backed Reagan and reaped what it loving well sowed.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Mozi posted:

yeah i know, right?

like for example

knock knock

who's there?

covid-19

covid-19 who?

um...

yes, WHO

Who?

No, the WHO

The band?

No, the World Heath Organization

What? why are you here?

COVID-19!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I think the most disturbing thing about the President Hamburglar photo is that each of those fast food items stays warm for approximately 0.02 seconds after they leave the restaurant. Now, imagine how long it took to stack and arrange them all for the photo op. Then how long it took for the football players to get in their photos standing by them. Then waiting in line. And then remember some of them talking about it was the best meal they'd ever had.

Also, all the main tracker sites are now in agreement that we broke 1 million cases. 1/3 of all confirmed infections, 1/4 of all worldwide deaths. Get back to work, winners!

Hazo fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 30, 2020

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Barudak posted:

Japan, whose rates are theoretically declining and is at around 150 cases a day is likely going to delay their grand reopening to June 6th instead of May 6th while I guess the US tries to make social security solvent

It's stunning how everything continues to be worse than you imagined it could be in the U.S.

Worse case scenarios don't really come true that often and it's happening right now in slow motion like a nightmare irl. It feels exactly like that- I'll wake up and be like, "Whew, thank God it was a dream, what a weird one drat I let the room get too hot."

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
im not sure why anyone is stunned by how the US is handing everything, it makes complete sense if you accept that no one gives a poo poo about people’s lives, and instead openly only care about ~~~**the economy**~~~ (my money)

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Captain Beans posted:

im not sure why anyone is stunned by how the US is handing everything,

Probably because they're not as smart as you, genius

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Captain Beans posted:

im not sure why anyone is stunned by how the US is handing everything, it makes complete sense if you accept that no one gives a poo poo about people’s lives, and instead openly only care about ~~~**the economy**~~~ (my money)

sad is probably the better word..you hope when it comes down to it the country you're living in doesn't model themselves after the movie jurassic park but here we are

some of you are about to get eaten on the toilet so some other jackass can go "welp we tried *shrug*" on a conference call..it's dumb and world "leaders" that got people killed should be held accountable when the planet is more stable. we all know that won't happen though.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Americans seem to have been painfully unaware of what country they were living in

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
If you don't know anything about other countries then you don't have to admit to yourself that you aren't the best

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Fartbox posted:

Americans seem to have been painfully unaware of what country they were living in

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

American culture is a hilarious mix of willful stupidity, selfishness, greed, laziness, and entitlement. This is a dry run for the climate change disasters coming down the pipe in the next few decades.

We're turbo hosed. Hope you've got a second passport!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

This is absolutely disgusting. The amount of financial waste the funeral industry causes is abhorrent. You could easily cram 60 bodies into one standard bobtail truck, why do they need four?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Captain Beans posted:

Except the economy is still gon a suck, polls show somewhere between 70-80% of people plan to continue to social distance and continue to avoid going out even after their state reopens. Its gonna mainly be empty stores and restaurants with everyone there forced to deal MAGA idiots who refuse to wear masks and complain about everyone overreacting

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

zer0spunk posted:

sad is probably the better word..you hope when it comes down to it the country you're living in doesn't model themselves after the movie jurassic park but here we are

some of you are about to get eaten on the toilet so some other jackass can go "welp we tried *shrug*" on a conference call..it's dumb and world "leaders" that got people killed should be held accountable when the planet is more stable. we all know that won't happen though.

well yea I agree it is sad, but have decided to be callous about it because otherwise I’ll go insane.

I think most people agree with you, they hope when poo poo gets *serious* people would be like “oh ok it’s time to stop all the bullshit and get real”. But the problem is the culture of a country doesn’t shift overnight, the momentum built up over years is too great. It took years to build up poo poo like hyper-partisan politics, ignoring of facts, not valuing science, slashing budgets for gov heath orgs, valuing self over community, treating employees as disposable equipment, ect.

We built this poo poo house, brick by brick, and now we get to live in it.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 30, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Pinche Rudo posted:

We're turbo hosed. Hope you've got a second passport!

I do, but to a country that's a heavy ally of America and loves trump. Goddamnit.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

I'm stunned because a million dying will not prevent the Great Depression from happening again.

I'm stunned at number still going up too.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Captain Beans posted:

well yea I agree it is sad, but have decided to be callous about it because otherwise I’ll go insane.

I think most people agree with you, they hope when poo poo gets *serious* people would be like “oh ok it’s time to stop all the bullshit and get real”. But the problem is the culture of a country doesn’t shift overnight, the momentum built up over years is too great. We built this poo poo house, brick by brick, and now we get to live in it. It took years to build up poo poo like hyper-partisan politics, ignoring of facts, not valuing science, valuing self over community, ect.

No, the problem is that there are no serious people. At least not any near where they can do anything to make any difference that matters.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I live in California so I probably don't even have to go anywhere to not be an American in 10-20 years.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

a recession is all but confirmed, at this point

a depression is still possible

keep your hopes up!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Chomp8645 posted:

I live in California so I probably don't even have to go anywhere to not be an American in 10-20 years.

I'm kind of excited at the prospect of a Great Lakes super region tbh

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Schadenboner posted:

No, the problem is that there are no serious people. At least not any near where they can do anything to make any difference that matters.

Right, but those useless humps didn’t get into office by accident. We* as a country put them there.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, you saw that Colorado and Nevada signed onto the west coast state alliance thing?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

What’s the most risky way to deal with the bodies?

Also :lol: at the idea that even in death, a corpse is still making money for people. So much so, that it is referred to as an industry. How has capitalism not yet created a disassembly line (:smuggo:) set to the tune of Powerhouse for the funerary industry to ensure the most cost effective disposal of American corpses? Surely, there’s a way to monetize that?

Well, a dead body on it’s own isn’t really a risk because bodies aren’t breathing and coughing and dispelling viral particles everywhere. But cutting them open is what can cause fluids to spray all over. Fluids that may or may not contain high levels of active virus. Embalming is the process that puts funeral workers in close contact with potential contagions. Though embalming is hazardous enough on it’s own that you practically need a hazmat suit to embalm safely anyway.

The funeral industry is frequently pretty predatory with high priced “luxury” caskets, sometimes even demanding you purchase a $5000 casket for a cremation, or some will claim it is illegal to bury a body that is not embalmed. It can be an easy to way make money off people who are grieving and are in no state to bargain.

But with the way things are right now, even basic funerals and memorial services aren’t allowed, so people can’t adequately grieve for their family members and say goodbye and that’s tragic for them.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

The Glumslinger posted:

Except the economy is still gon a suck, polls show somewhere between 70-80% of people plan to continue to social distance and continue to avoid going out even after their state reopens. Its gonna mainly be empty stores and restaurants with everyone there forced to deal MAGA idiots who refuse to wear masks and complain about everyone overreacting

Yup, most people are terrified of going outside at this point when they see 800 new daily cases in their state alone and 30k nationally every single day without fail. Nothing is going to be back to normal for many months, if not far longer than that. People aren't going to be magically okay with going out for date nights at restaurants after their friends and family have contracted Coronavirus, or worse, died. No one is going to be shopping in significant numbers anywhere outside of their essential trips to grocery stores for a very long time. That's why delusional red state governors who think gradually opening their states back up will "save the economy" or whatever nonsense are just going a. kill people for no loving reason b. depress the economy even more when death statistics get out of control again. We're so hosed and none of this needs to happen at all.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Mortuary/funeral services are like tow truck companies that take away people instead of cars, and just as unscrupulous.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if only experts had consistently warned us of the possibility of something like this happening so we might have had time to prepare, perhaps involving some sort of pandemic response team

but, alas

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/04/29/massive-unseasonable-heatwave-to-hit-the-southern-usa-this-week-how-to-keep-safe/

Heatwave hitting the South

Perfect for air conditioning to blow Covid around for maximum exposure fast^^^^

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Massive Unreasonable Heatwave" lol

Mother Earth you are being VERY unreasonable right now, will you just listen for a minute please!???

e: CHOMP NO READ GOOD

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 30, 2020

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
That's not what it says.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, you saw that Colorado and Nevada signed onto the west coast state alliance thing?

just matching what the east coast is doing with the tri-state and surrounding. the idea that if you don't coordinate people will flock to whoever is open is what they want to avoid. you'd think the middle states would give that a second to comprehend but it's just a patchwork of randomness. i think when we look back on this one of the defining moments will be when the federal gov just threw up hands and went "i dunno, states should deal with it themselves"

it doesn't take a polisci degree to understand if you don't give federal help to states they can't pay for things like hospitals and police and fire responders...ya know, plus education, transportation...just the most short-sighted moves over and over so far.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Captain Beans posted:

Right, but those useless humps didn’t get into office by accident. We* as a country put them there.
*a heavily-gerrymandered minority of us

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

suuma posted:

That's not what it says.

Aww man I misread and now I look positively foolish!

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Back in the office the 11th with Utah's cases still growing rather than flattening. Fun !

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
brazil is hot and humid and getting slammed by Covid-19. Not sure why they keep talking of it going away in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This is the Summer of our Discontent Malpractice