Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bullying works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anybody think there is any chance of Biden quitting? I’ve lost my commute in the quarantine (which is good), which means that I’ve lost my usual source of exposure to poo poo like MSNBC (which is... also good, on the balance) and now I’m one of those people who gets a massively disproportionate amount of his news and analysis via D&D, so I’m way off the lib pulse right now. Is there any sign of bending in establishment media?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mellow Seas posted:

Some posters here absolutely have glee about being able to use anything lovely Biden does as a cudgel against The Libs.

I don’t think it’s super cool to call how a presidential candidate clumsily denies that he digitally penetrated someone “finger-licking good”. I think that’s actually gross.

Some people celebrate any and all bad news about Biden, when to me, it means it’s more likely Trump remains President, or that the President who replaces him is even shittier than I thought.

yeah liberals deserve to be bullied for backing an obvious sex pest

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shoeonhead is not genuine about her move to the left because she’s using it to try to make money. If she had developed any kind of conscience, she would have gone offline and erased everything in shame like that one trans nazi who wasn’t Blaire White.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Honestly having enough nihilism to laugh at the nightmare we're all trapped in is better than collapsing into absolute despair and depression. The Democrats have abandoned every one of their supposed principals, put a bullet in every last hostage they claim they protect, and sent their most ardent supports out to die in a pandemic. All so they can bet everything on their team's monster in an ill-fitting skin suit getting elected because they might get to be the henchmen that strips that last strand of copper out of the walls while the world burns to death.

Iron Twinkie fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 30, 2020

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

Anybody think there is any chance of Biden quitting? I’ve lost my commute in the quarantine (which is good), which means that I’ve lost my usual source of exposure to poo poo like MSNBC (which is... also good, on the balance) and now I’m one of those people who gets a massively disproportionate amount of his news and analysis via D&D, so I’m way off the lib pulse right now. Is there any sign of bending in establishment media?

Yo, we got 6 months if Biden the rapist. Right now, nobody is calling for him to step down because the only obvious conclusion would be a Bernie Sanders nomination. It looks like Biden is going to have to pick a VP. At that point, the democrats would be able to anoint his VP as a successor, and thereby install a candidate that literally nobody voted for. Because they're democrats. Democracy.

Also, telling people not to bully rape apologists is a bad look.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mellow Seas posted:

Currently the attitude is still pretty much complete deer-in-the-headlights frozen or desperate, scrambling denial. But we're past the event horizon of the irony dimension, so absolutely anything is possible.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yo, we got 6 months if Biden the rapist. Right now, nobody is calling for him to step down because the only obvious conclusion would be a Bernie Sanders nomination. It looks like Biden is going to have to pick a VP. At that point, the democrats would be able to anoint his VP as a successor, and thereby install a candidate that literally nobody voted for. Because they're democrats. Democracy.

Also, telling people not to bully rape apologists is a bad look.

Being mean to rape apologists is so dudeish

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

The Democrats put themselves in a position where they get to either eat crow right now, or eat poo poo in November. It is good to laugh at them especially as long as they remain committed to eating poo poo, and it’s good that they continue to bleed out their unearned credibility in front of everyone

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Biden isn’t going to step down or forced off the ticket because while there is a 99% chance he loses, there is a 100% chance that someone who didn’t even win the nomination or compete for it loses.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Mellow Seas posted:

Some posters here absolutely have glee about being able to use anything lovely Biden does as a cudgel against The Libs.

I don’t think it’s super cool to call how a presidential candidate clumsily denies that he digitally penetrated someone “finger-licking good”. I think that’s actually gross.

Some people celebrate any and all bad news about Biden, when to me, it means it’s more likely Trump remains President, or that the President who replaces him is even shittier than I thought.

That was some unfortunate selection of words. I just think what you are doing is what republicans do: They say democrats are happy when the economy fails because it hurts trump. No one is happy. If you haven't noticed this bullshit situation effects every one of us. The only people that will not be effected in any meaningful way are already powerful and both biden and trump are their handmaidens

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You should absolutely vote for the rapist because I've already surrendered to, and if you actually hold out on any valid grounds than I'm stuck questioning if I'm actually right and this is your fault, now fall in loving line.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mellow Seas posted:

I'd like you to scroll back a ways and read my post about New Zealand's government and how deeply, deeply broken the liberal mindset is when it comes to what "left-wing politicians" are in the United States.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

V. Illych L. posted:

women's rights and civil rights groups have some heft in the democratic party, but they're definitely very much outweighed by financial interests

As mentioned previously, these groups kneel at the same feet as the DNC at large. They run on donations and while they're happy to take the $20 you or I might toss their way, what they're really excited about is that large grant from the Gates or Koch Foundations. And at least some of these groups are directly run by billionaire interests, cutting out the middle man. Take Warren's Super PAC funding billionaire friend, Karla Jurvetson, who sits on the board of EMILY's List. She also gave a million to Stacey Abrams voter org, if you're trying to keep up with which politicians currently lick her boots.

Another good example of this is the Working Families Party endorsement going to Warren. Warren directed large donations from her wealthy backers to the org, and the leadership voted en masse to support Warren. How did the membership vote? We'll never know and it's racist to ask.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Iron Twinkie posted:

Honestly having enough nihilism to laugh at the nightmare we're all trapped in is better than collapsing into absolute despair and depression. The Democrats have abandoned every one of their supposed principals, put a bullet in every last hostage they claim they protect, and sent their most ardent supports out to die in a pandemic. All so they can bet everything on their team's monster in an ill-fitting skin suit getting elected because they might get to be the henchmen that strips that last strand of copper out of the walls while the world burns to death.

ManBoyChef posted:

That was some unfortunate selection of words. I just think what you are doing is what republicans do: They say democrats are happy when the economy fails because it hurts trump. No one is happy. If you haven't noticed this bullshit situation effects every one of us. The only people that will not be effected in any meaningful way are already powerful and both biden and trump are their handmaidens

Yeah, even if some posters have deliberately corrosive rhetorical styles (and have spent most of the last week on probation because of that...) it's probably not fair of me to say that anybody is happy. Despair and depression aren't helpful, but I don't think "bullying" (their word, not mine) usually comes from a very psychologically healthy place, either. We're all of us suffering, some of us are just doing it while holding up laugh emojis in front of their faces. Everybody is trying to figure out how to limit the damage before we get another chance to really change things.

And yeah, because of how little control we actually have, letting nihilism reign is probably better for most people (unless you've found an admirable and productive outlet for your disappointment like, say, GreyjoyBastard has). I just don't have it in me.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

Biden isn’t going to step down or forced off the ticket because while there is a 99% chance he loses, there is a 100% chance that someone who didn’t even win the nomination or compete for it loses.

He steps down and the person with the next number of votes becomes the nominee.

Why would we pick someone that wasn’t in the election?

They don’t have any votes....

i got owned
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hello my name is Joe Biden and I'm a rapist.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Scientist Al Gore posted:

Not true, Micheal Mann has testified in front of congress. Leah Stokes has a Phd. in political science and studies environmental policy. Let's see what she said in a recent interview in E&E News - Leah Stokes on climate denial, Green New Deal, Joe Biden

testifying in front of congress doesn't confer political knowledge or savvy on someone
what, when you pass the doorstep of the congressional building suddenly you're a political expert?
and neither does a political science degree, judging by its holders
that quote you posted is pretty much evidence that they're clueless, joe biden isn't gonna get pushed to the left

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

spunkshui posted:

He steps down and the person with the next number of votes becomes the nominee.

Why would we pick someone that wasn’t in the election?

They don’t have any votes....

If he has already picked a VP, they would get the position, and given how the establishment worked to ensure the nominee was not Bernie, they would likely let Biden literally murder people on 5th Avenue and get away with it until that selection is made.

Even if they let Bernie replace Biden, that doesn’t change my statement. Bernie doesn’t win in November if he gets the nomination from Biden dropping out. There are a lot of FYGM Democrats, and centrists willing to look the other way over rape accusations, and they would rather not vote for Bernie even if it means Trump wins, much like many in this thread would rather not vote for Biden.

There was a path for Bernie to get a lot of those people to hold their nose and vote for him - before SC when it looked like he was going to win the nomination, you could see a lot of the establishment leaders start to sound more conciliatory and start to come around on Bernie. If the primaries were able to continue and Bernie hit the delegate threshold, people would slowly come around and fallen in line.

Bernie’s relatively weak performance in the primaries doesn’t really convince those just looking to win that Bernie is the guy who could get them a win, even if they don’t agree with his policies.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Doctor Jeep posted:

testifying in front of congress doesn't confer political knowledge or savvy on someone
what, when you pass the doorstep of the congressional building suddenly you're a political expert?
and neither does a political science degree, judging by its holders
that quote you posted is pretty much evidence that they're clueless, joe biden isn't gonna get pushed to the left

Michael E. Mann is one of the leading climate scientists in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_E._Mann

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mellow Seas posted:

Sure, technically, there is a chance. Not much of one but technically anything is possible. I think everyone in this thread agrees that's the best possible outcome at this point.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Mellow Seas posted:

If the heat gets turned up enough then he maybe steps down (read: gets forced to step down because Biden is an egomaniac who thinks it is his turn to be President, regardless of what anyone else wants) and whoever the VP pick is gets elevated to the big job. But that eventuality is extremely terrible for the Democrats - it brings to the forefront all the various failures and interference conducted to elevate Biden and shield him until the final hair that breaks the camel's back drops.

No matter how it plays out or who they pick it will look terrible and probably lead to almost guaranteed defeat in November.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Shoeonhead is not genuine about her move to the left because she’s using it to try to make money.

Sounds like the DNC should love her.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Biden is crushing Trump in the polls right now (or at least the polls the establishment dems are looking at) so there is no way in hell he is going to drop

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Biden had dropped out over a scandal before, but to do so again would send the dangerous message that rape is as bad as plagiarizing a speech.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Darko posted:

Pelosi sure is stuttering right now over being asked directly about her support for Biden.

The clip is worth watching, these people are flailing to prop up a senile old rapist and demonstrating their true colors for the world to see.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/04/30/nancy-pelosi-intv-joe-biden-accusations-sot-newday-vpx.cnn

Every defense just makes it worse. This won't go away until Biden speaks on it and he won't because he's a coward who has been assured by his advisers and backers that the usual political machinery can make it disappear.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Sanders consistently polled as popular second choice for nearly every candidate including Biden. I don’t get why consideration always has to go to the theoretical moderates/hardcore Never Bernies, there’s absolutely evidence that he’d have had a good shot in the general, gently caress the electability myth. I mean I do get it because that’s the logic that the party themselves use, but we’re not beholden to that logic over here in reality

It’s the same reason I get confused and frustrated by the minority of Bernie->Trump voters being cited as evidence Bernie is bad and all his fans are secretly racist. No dipshits there’s your bloc of crossover moderate Republican voters!! They’re right loving there if you just nominate the guy they said they want!!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mat Cauthon posted:

If the heat gets turned up enough then he maybe steps down (read: gets forced to step down because Biden is an egomaniac who thinks it is his turn to be President, regardless of what anyone else wants) and whoever the VP pick is gets elevated to the big job. But that eventuality is extremely terrible for the Democrats - it brings to the forefront all the various failures and interference conducted to elevate Biden and shield him until the final hair that breaks the camel's back drops.

No matter how it plays out or who they pick it will look terrible and probably lead to almost guaranteed defeat in November.

If only there were a way to democratically decide in a candidate. Some sort of election but you send ballots out to every citizen by mail. Has that been done???

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Falstaff posted:

She made a name for herself as an Alt-Lite anti-SJW Youtube politics/culture commentator, essentially part of the chud pipeline. I think she changed her tune a little while before the election season started last year? Maybe a little after. If it's genuine, great - but I'm suspicious this all culminates in her going, "See leftists, this is why you need to join the Alt-Right" or whatever.

Or, perhaps more likely, she's decided that Alt-Lite isn't paying enough anymore and is now just grifting the left, like Ague Proof said.

in what world is it more profitable to grift the left instead of spouting right wing talking points while being an attractive white woman

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dean of Swing posted:

Sounds like the DNC should love her.

All that's missing is the revelation that she procured underage fans for threesomes with her loathsome also-on-youtube alt-light boyfriend Armoured Sceptic like a discount Ghislaine Maxwell.

Feldegast42 posted:

Biden is crushing Trump in the polls right now (or at least the polls the establishment dems are looking at) so there is no way in hell he is going to drop

How?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

Well the news has also been 24/7 coronavirus, and when that inevitably dies down and the election and the Reade story get more air time, that will change.

Either way, it makes no sense to force Biden off from an electoral stand point since all that does is make it clear you are conceding the election and then you lose by even bigger margins at all levels.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TyrantWD posted:

If he has already picked a VP, they would get the position, and given how the establishment worked to ensure the nominee was not Bernie, they would likely let Biden literally murder people on 5th Avenue and get away with it until that selection is made.

Even if they let Bernie replace Biden, that doesn’t change my statement. Bernie doesn’t win in November if he gets the nomination from Biden dropping out. There are a lot of FYGM Democrats, and centrists willing to look the other way over rape accusations, and they would rather not vote for Bernie even if it means Trump wins, much like many in this thread would rather not vote for Biden.

Eh, mild disagree. All the FYGMs and centrists in the Democratic Party rabidly hate Trump and would vote for anyone. While there are some true-believer weirdos who actually love Biden, most are just vote-blue-no-matter types who would would probably reveal themselves to be pretty bummed over Biden's nomination if you hooked 'em up to a polygraph or something.

This man was drawing like 25 person crowds of nodding-off octogenerians to every event he held until his party-contrived SC takeoff. Nobody is excited about him.

But... as long as we are getting poll results that are like Biden +12 over Trump, he's probably not going anywhere...

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

Eh, mild disagree. All the FYGMs and centrists in the Democratic Party rabidly hate Trump and would vote for anyone. While there are some true-believer weirdos who actually love Biden, most are just vote-blue-no-matter types who would would probably reveal themselves to be pretty bummed over Biden's nomination if you hooked 'em up to a polygraph or something.

This man was drawing like 25 person crowds of nodding-off octogenerians to every event he held until his party-contrived SC takeoff. Nobody is excited about him.

But... as long as we are getting poll results that are like Biden +12 over Trump, he's probably not going anywhere...

They really aren’t vote blue no matter who types when it comes to Bernie. A lot of them are fairly comfortable suburban folks, with good health insurance and would rather huff and puff about Trump than take a financial hit under Bernie.

A lot of the awful things Trump does, doesn’t personally affect a lot of Democrats. They can object to it, and be angered by the things he does, or the very sight of him - but their day to day lives range from decent to great, and is not under threat unless Bernie wins.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

RottenK posted:

in what world is it more profitable to grift the left instead of spouting right wing talking points while being an attractive white woman

There's a niche there.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah, even if some posters have deliberately corrosive rhetorical styles (and have spent most of the last week on probation because of that...) it's probably not fair of me to say that anybody is happy. Despair and depression aren't helpful, but I don't think "bullying" (their word, not mine) usually comes from a very psychologically healthy place, either. We're all of us suffering, some of us are just doing it while holding up laugh emojis in front of their faces. Everybody is trying to figure out how to limit the damage before we get another chance to really change things.

And yeah, because of how little control we actually have, letting nihilism reign is probably better for most people (unless you've found an admirable and productive outlet for your disappointment like, say, GreyjoyBastard has). I just don't have it in me.

I honestly don't think there is any way to meaningfully make change anymore. Power is too entrenched. This is what it is now. You either vote for the rapist that wanted the Iraq war, or you vote for the rapist that wants war with iran. There is no I would rather vote in favor of giving healthcare to people in need because that option will be roundly shot down by both right wing pro corporate parties and the media apparatus that is their mouthpiece.

We need to get a lot more local but with climate change rearing its ugly head very soon I don't know if we will have enough time. Poor people are going to be decimated and the quality of their lives will get worse and worse as this happens.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

RottenK posted:

Untapped market, less competition.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I mean we are checkmated -- the collapse of the nation is unavoidable and humanity's destruction to climate change is very likely unavoidable as well unless china or india or the EU pull some crazy poo poo out of their rear end. I don't know if there is anything that can be done now and make a meaningful difference.

Take care of your friends and family the best you can so when poo poo really hits the fan they will all get to live a little longer?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Michael E. Mann is one of the leading climate scientists in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_E._Mann

and? what's this in reference to? if you like the guy and wanted to post his wiki that's ok, but I don't see why you had to quote my post to do it?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Trabisnikof posted:

In case you’re not aware, in America you don’t have to vote and you can even vote third party.

And if you’re going to do the whole “a vote for not-biden is a vote for trump” you have to explain why the converse isn’t true, “that a vote for not-trump is a vote for Biden”

No I was just saying if Biden is worse than Trump on climate change it makes more sense to vote for Trump than to not vote at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Mat Cauthon posted:

Biden cant step aside without exposing several decades of crime/grift/fraud activity his family members have been "constantly adjacent" to for decades. Wall Street Joe was a Good Upstanding Senator to hide behind, but if he fails in this final DNC mission the rest of them have nothing.